Toshiba unleashes slim 13-inch Sandy Bridge laptops

11.6" ultraportables have their place, and 17" mobile workstations can be great for gaming and serious work, but I’m more partial to 13.3" notebooks—they’re manageable to tote around yet large enough to pack serious hardware. As it happens, Engadget reports that Toshiba has unveiled a new family of thin-and-light 13" laptops with tantalizing perks: Sandy Bridge processors, magnesium alloy casings, and prices starting at $899.

The cheapest of the Portege R830 Series, the R835-ST3N01, packs a dual-core Core i3-2310M processor, 4GB of RAM, a 640GB 5,400-RPM hard drive, Bluetooth 3.0, external Serial ATA connectivity, a DVD burner, and a 66-Wh battery rated for up to nine hours of run time. Spending a little extra gets you a quicker Core i5-2410M processor, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of differentiation between the different models on Toshiba’s website.

What’s really impressive is that Toshiba managed to squeeze everything into a good-looking chassis with a weight of 3.2 lbs and a thickness of 0.72-1.05". Assuming Toshiba sprang for a decent keyboard and touchpad, this could be quite a bargain.

• Slonimsky

Any idea when it’s coming to Europe?

• Antias

This is almost a sexy machine… for me 🙂
    I do a lot of pan-pacific flying (Melbourne to LA and back again) and with the cheap company I work for rarely get business class.
    I like RPG gaming to keep me amused (oblivion, dragon age 1 & 2 etc..) and thus need a business machine that has a changable battery (no power point on international economy and Melbourne to LA is 15+ hours long – bummer), decent graphics (happy on low settings as long as its 25+ framerate) and DVD drive (so many games do the whole check for DVD thing still – annoying – and yes I know a lot have no-cd hacks but i’m annoyed that i have to do that in this day and age).
    But the most telling point for me is i’m left handed and thus use a cordless mouse in my left hand and keep my right hand hovering on the arrow direction keys… (with the home/end/delete/etc keys remapped to important stuff)
    THIS laptop has it right, the arrow direction keys are distinctly seperated from the other keys, preventing accidental presses on wrong keys that all feel the same.
    However i’m nearing having to buy a new laptop soon so running out of options.
    Want Sandy Bridge, want decent dedicated graphics, want swappable battery (rules out m11x) and 12-13″ for constant portability and those damn tiny economy seating trays – lol

So if this had a decent grpahics chip in it i’d go there 🙂

• NeelyCam

EDIT: wrong thread.

• OneArmedScissor

There were no Sandy Bridge dual-cores a month ago…

• OneArmedScissor

Damn, $900 and no expresscard. 🙁

That sure is light, considering it has a “real” 6 cell battery and a DVD drive figured in. Lots of 13″ laptops that quote something like a “starting weight” of around 4 pounds are only that way with a trimmed down configuration.

• smilingcrow

I tried a friend’s Toshiba with an LV i3 and it was really noisy for a 13.3” laptop with a low voltage CPU. The fan came on a lot just at idle so I’m wary of Tosh now. This looks a better class of machine but once bitten, twice shy…. I’d need to read a review.

• dragmor

Can we just leave the DVD drive of all laptops now and use the space for better battery and/or graphics.

Also would someone on the PC side please give me a Apple style trackpad on a laptop.

• sweatshopking

dm1z has an “apple style” trackpad, and no dvd drive!

• dragmor

Have you used a track pad on a MacBook or air? They are at least 50% bigger than the one on the dmz1. It’s just not the same experience.

• druidcent

Honestly, I love having a DVD drive especially at the 13″ mark (let’s me carry a bunch of Netflix movies when I’m traveling).. I’ve got a Portege-R705, and I think it’s absolutely fantastic. It would be nice if that space were configurable for people who didn’t want a DVD drive, but I’m guessing that would drive up manufacturing costs

• OneArmedScissor

I used to think that way. It seemed like if it fits, why not have it, and use it as a portable DVD player?

But then came cheap HD downloads of TV shows and movies, which are even higher quality than the DVD version, and easily fit on the ginormous hard drives everything comes with today.

Now I see a DVD drive just as something that drains the battery and adds to the cost for no reason. I still have lots of DVDs, but I wouldn’t drag them all around with me. I can always rip those, and you can even do that on a separate computer if you don’t have an external drive.

• dragmor

There is no need for discs anymore. 1hr of DVD quality video is approx 300mb. Even if your company locks the harddisk and expects you to use citrix all the time. A 16gb USB key only cost $20.

Even if your lazy, just turn the DVD into an iso and take the 4gb file.

• sweatshopking

personally, i’d rather get one of the acer timelinex laptops. Cheaper, not sandybridge, but i5 430’s, and have a 5650 on board. Run you about 700 and get an ADVERTISED 12 hours. I hear it’s more like 6-8.

• Corrado

My older Timeline 13″ with the C2D 1.3ghz was advertised at 8 hours and I routinely bested 10 hours in regular usage.

• sweatshopking

my wife has one of the other ones, i’m not sure what it’s called, but it’s one of acer’s thin and lights, it’s advertised for 8, and she gets 8 too.

• Hirokuzu

My Timeline X with core i5 430 and 5470 lasted 6.5 hours when I first got it, now I’m barely making 5.5 after 6 months of plugging it in whenever I can =\

I’m also having to send it in this week cause of a bunch of issues…
      (I realize that another person I know isn’t having any problems, but it’s just hurt my respect for Acer)