Poll: What’s the best new web browser?

In the last few weeks, we’ve been treated to a bevvy of major browser releases: Chrome 10, Internet Explorer 9, and Firefox 4. If you’re not a fan of the big three, there are other alternatives. Opera 11 came out in December, and the latest version of Safari was released in June. We can pull server stats to see which browser is the most popular among TR’s readership, but we’re more interested in which of the new arrivals you think is best. Let us know in this week’s poll; you can cast your vote below or in the middle column on the front page.

Last week, we inquired about how much storage capacity is enough for a system drive. Interestingly, virtually the same number of people voted for 120GB (22%) and more than 200GB (21%). 13% of those who voted need at least 80GB in a system drive, while 11% can make do with 60GB. Another 10% require 160GB, and 9% think 100GB is enough. Only 7% of folks think they can live with 40GB or lessβ€”we’re guessing they’re not going to be installing many games. The rest of the vote was split between 200GB with 6% and 180GB with 1%.

• Nutmeg

Switched over to Chrome a year or so ago, never looked back.

• jcw122

Why the heck are there so many IE users in this poll? This is a computer enthusiast site, right?

• blorbic5

I use firefox 4 on my game pc, ie9 on mydads laptop that in front of the tv and chrome on my girlfriends laptop. All three are so much better then ie6 I use at work.

Haven’t used opera or safari yet.

• kvndoom

Well right now I’m not in love with any of them.

FF4 isn’t fully compatible with my college’s website (or vice versa, call it what you may). Tab behavior changes for the worse after I log into my classes. That will probably get worked out soon.

Chrome… bleh. It works, but I absolutely hate that minimalist interface. [i<]I like big buttons and I can not lie![/i<] Opera is totally incompatible with school. I can't log into my online classes at all. I won't get to try IE9 until I buy a separate hard drive to install Windows7 on and muck around with it. But it looks as minimal as Chrome, which is already not a good thing.

• swaaye

It’s the plugins and the easy UI customization that keep me locked into Firefox on some machines. My EeePC for example has Firefox customized for full screen with an autohiding bookmarks sidebar that I absolutely love. I also have Flashblock on there because it speeds the little thing up considerably. FF4 seems tangibly faster than 3.x and the UI is slimmer and achieves the same as my setup with the Compact Menu addon before.

Chrome is very nice and I use it on several machines but I really don’t like how it isn’t very customizable and lacks a bookmarks sidebar. I do use it on older machines in particular.

Opera is super fast but I am not a big fan of its UI. I always end up trying to tweak various parts of it and it is quite complex and inflexible in various ways IMO. Plugin base is not even remotely close in size to FF’s. I feel that in some ways Opera is always playing catch up even if they are a technology leader in other aspects.

Haven’t tried IE9 yet but will soon. I like what I’m hearing about it.

Safari doesn’t really interest me but I have tried it out on occasion. It feels like a combination of Opera and Chrome to me. Just no reason to use it really.

Poor Opera, only 9%. Don’t worry baby, I’ll still use you. Been using you since v5 in the pay days. Your only downside for me is tab grouping, which IE has the best implementation of.

• bthylafh

I used Opera myself back in the 3.x to 5.x days, until the original Mozilla matured. It was a good browser back then, faster and stabler than Netscape 4 (but what wasn’t?), good enough that my notoriously cheap self bought a license for three different versions – back then, your license was good for one major revision; I was a bit peeved that v4 had such a short run, and also that my Windows license wouldn’t transfer to Linux.

I’ve still got v3.62 for Win32 around somewhere. That was their last version as just a browser, without the email &c cruft added on. It’s also Y2K clean. πŸ˜›

• Meadows

I disagree. IE doesn’t support tab group collapsing. Saves space in Opera, takes a double click only (to expand/collapse a group) and I’ll take it any day over coloured groups.

• Silus

Even though I have at the latest versions of IE, Firefox and Chrome installed, I still mostly use FireFox 3.6.x

Version 4 is ok, Chrome I use for web development, but the one that impressed me the most in terms of actual changes from previous versions was IE 9. Nice work on Microsoft’s part.

As far as what I’ll use in the future, probably still Firefox, because of the plugin base. Chrome for web development and IE once in a while.

So going by what impressed me the most, I voted IE 9. Firefox and Chrome are still unchallenged for web development. Firefox because of plugins and Chrome because of how strictly it follows the web standards.

• Prototyped

Chrome makes my 2 GB RAM laptop dip into swap with my usual 25-35 tabs open. Firefox 4 does not.

I’m one of those users who [i<]don't[/i<] want per-tab processes. Chrome used to allow a single-process model, but they deprecated it along the way. I also had to hack away Chrome's auto-search by substituting a "None" search engine. I usually know what I'm doing, and the last thing I generally want is the browser initiating a search for me. (I just switched away from Chrome 11 to Firefox 4 yesterday. And switched away from Opera 11 to Chrome 11 in January after eight years of using the former as a primary browser, because it's just too buggy -- and wouldn't let me check in online at Virgin Atlantic's site due to DOM failure. <Vader>It failed me for the last time.</Vader>)

• hans

Chrome for speed and stability. Firefox had too many resource issues and crashes, most likely brought on by extensions. My only beef with Chrome is lack of MRU tab switching. The devs seem to be ideologically opposed to this, even so far as to block reassigning of ctrl+tab via extension.

• DrCR

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29<]Lynx[/url<] FTW.

• vipw

No way. w3m wipes the floor with it.

• Pan Skrzetuski

Firefox until someone else has better addons. I prefer not to feed the google beast too much either.

• fantastic

I voted Firefox. I’ve been on the same “team” since Netscape Navigator 1.x. The new IE is nice and Chrome is fast, but I don’t trust Chrome for privacy and I don’t trust IE for security. Firefox is feeling a little slow and fat though. I only use a few plug-ins. Flash, Java and Silverlight for Netflix.

• insulin_junkie72

[quote<]I've been on the same "team" since Netscape Navigator 1.x[/quote<] Even during the era of Netscape 4? Man, you are a diehard.

• joseph_wh

As much as I liked Firefox in the past it has few problems.
    For me 2 major ones are:
    1. starting much slower then Chrome
    2. it doesn’t complete auto-fill your address if you not start with www. first

So, so far Chrome is better.

• marvelous

Firefox problems with some web pages.

Chrome seems better and faster.

• oldog

Can I offer the opinion that the browser wars started by Firefox are officially over. All the above browsers are fast and standards compliant. All are competent and depending on individual preferences; all will get the job done.

I bet most people, who don’t develop web sites, will opt for two of these browsers and will switch depending on the specific website being rendered (web site quirkiness).

Browsers will get interesting again when they try to be OSs. Until that time there is little to get excited about.

All software categories get boring and the time for browser boredom is here. As a corollary I predict the eventual demise of Firefox, Opera and β€œothers” from sheer ennui.

• ImSpartacus

Chrome, IE and FF are good enough for the average joe.

Safari is shiny enough to satisfy its market and Opera will continue to fail because it’s Opera and it tries to do everything (except market itself).

For the foreseeable future, browsers are going to be boring.

• kvndoom

I mostly agree with you, but I don’t see ‘Fox going anywhere until another browser can match or surpass its add-on base. I use relatively few extensions, but when I peruse what’s out there it blows my mind. Talk about “something for everyone!”

• RickyTick

I gave FF 3 a fair chance and really couldn’t make myself like it. Then IE8 came out and I gave it the same fair shot for a few months also, but had some problems. Chrome is now my most used browser, but I do like IE9 a lot and use it on a regular basis.

• Bensam123

Voted Opera. I’ve been using it since before it’s been free and it still is the best all in one web browser that just seems to do what it’s supposed to. It has nice little addins and I’ve found it’s just a joy to use. I have FF on my server and Chrome on my laptop just to change things up and keep up with all of them, since they all have good merits, but I am still going steady with Opera. I have been contemplating changing to Chrome in the last few months, but that’s usually just in passing because I’m bored.

• emorgoch

My top two, in order, are Firefox 4, followed by Chrome 10.
    Chrome is marginally faster, and has better process isolation (still can’t believe that I have to close all my current FF windows to turn on private browsing), but the superior add-on/extension portfolio gives it the edge. Really, if they just fixed the process isolation issues, this would be no contest.

• Deanjo

Where the hell is lynx? πŸ˜›

• ssidbroadcast

Something super-duper annoying that–as far as I can tell–ALL browsers do:

Backspace Key = Back Button

I can’t recall how many times accidentally hitting this button while clicked-out of a text field has caused me to lose information. The rage!

• meta

In Firefox, go to ‘about:config’, look up ‘browser.backspace_action’ and set it to 2.
      Enjoy! πŸ™‚

• walruslove

In FF about:config set browser.backspace_action = 2
      In Chrome only way I know how to do it is this plugin:
      [url<]http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/backspacemeansbackspace/[/url<]

• ssidbroadcast

Thanks for the Chrome tip!!

• Bensam123

In a perfect world, this wouldn’t be enabled.

If you’re using backspace to go back in a browser it would only have use if you do most of your web navigation with your keyboard, not your mouse. This is why mice almost always have a back button on them and programmed by default. It’s highly illogical that you will be tabbing through windows, tabbing through the content, and then using keyboard hotkeys to navigate your panes.

Maybe this still exists so people who don’t have mice can still navigate pages more easily?

• ybf

Oddly, I don’t think I’ve ever done that. Ever. Not once. Can’t even imagine what would cause the sequence “type-type-type-click-backspace-damn”.

• ssidbroadcast

It’s most common on laptop computers with touchpads, but I’ve somehow managed to do it on a desktop before, too.

And just you wait, now that you’ve tempted the Gods, you will surely experience this frustration for the first time soon! Today, perhaps!

• Zoomer

Can’t keyboard shortcuts be remapped? Thought that was a standard feature.

• charged3800z24

Weird thing is, 90 percent of my companies clients can’t use any version of firefox, chrome etc
    So I picked IE9, Do to compatibility and I prefer it myself for personal use.

• Krogoth

Web Browsers are serious business!

• plasticplate

I am a little surprised to see firefox leading this poll. Was using it since yesterday and observed a few of the same old problems that plagued the previous versions. Just for testing purposes i opened up 25 tabs in FF4 and the same amount in Chrome and IE9. IE9 used the least amount of RAM, followed closely by Chrome. There was a big difference between Chrome and FF4. FF4 used the most amount of RAM by far. As per general use, Chrome still feels the fastest of all the browsers, so i still use it for my general browsing habits. I did switch to IE9 for multimedia rich pages (IE9 feels much snappier on media rich web pages even though it uses a bit more CPU power than any other browser per task manager). I still have to use FF4 a lot longer to see if any of the previous issues can be consistently replicated. FF4 does look nice and is speedy. Its a good release, but i think chrome and IE9 are better in general usage, just by a bit (I am not taking customization into account. Just browsing speed).

• BobbinThreadbare

Did you add up all the Chrome processes?

• plasticplate

Yea, i did. Did u get different results?

• ChronoReverse

I’m curious to which websites you were at and what addons you were using. In my experience, Firefox tends to use less RAM but inflates over time which Chrome seems to avoid. Firefox also starts to slow down after being used for several days without closing it.

One thing I’ve also noticed is that Chrome will “put away” a lot of the memory usage when you first start it with all the tabs in the background. You have to manually click and view each tab before the memory actually “shows up”.

• albundy

The least amount of ram? seriously? in this day and age 12GB (3x4gb sticks) will set you back only $100, and I highly doubt you will be using even a 1gb of ram for your browser usage. Are you complaining because your dated hardware cannot withstand a browser upgrade? 25 tabs shouldn’t really give any noticeable performance hit on a half decent machine that uses DDR3 ram.

• Firestarter

My dated hardware (C2D) can only support 3GB. Tell me again how relevant the current memory prices are?

• nanoflower

It is possible to end up using a lot of memory depending upon the web page. For instance when I went to the Jordan Fox’s (MacHole) web site where he has all of the SuperBowl commercials the initial load wasn’t bad. However as I watched videos the size of the plugin-container,exe footprint kept increasing until it stopped Youtube clips from playing due to a lack of memory. Only way to fix it was to reload the page. Ideally the flash plugin would only use the memory while watching a video but it appears the memory is only released when you move away from the page.

Now this is on a computer with 2GB of memory but that’s not unusual at all. Yes memory is relatively cheap but that doesn’t mean everyone has 12GB installed or even should. For systems that mostly do web browsing and email it makes no sense to install that much memory.

• stdRaichu

It’s not so much the %age of your system RAM that firefox uses; I frequently get opera to eat a gig or more. For me, the main problem with firefox is that once it gets to about 750MB or more memory usage (that’s including virtual memory, which isn’t shown in task manager by default) it starts to bog down massively. Unlike opera, once it’s started to eat memory it doesn’t stop until you restart it.

On top of that, 32bit windows can’t allocate more than 2GB to the process (notwithstanding the linux and OSX 64bit builds), and 4GB if you’re on a 64bit OS, so 12GB of memory isn’t going to help you. I’ve got 16GB on my workstation at home and 2GB at work, yet firefox suffers the same memory gobbling performance problems on both machines.

• tootercomputer

Been using FF since version 0.7 or something like that. I use Chrome on occasion and IE for MS-related t hings, but FF is what I use daily across all systems that I use. Interesting, though, FF4 RC was crashing my W7- Home system in odd sorts of ways, the crashes went away as soon as I reverted back to FF3.xx. FF4, however, works seems to work fine.

I always have found FF to be fast and reliable; it’s like an old pair of comfortable shoes even across all the updates over the years.

• jstern

I voted for Firefox.

I use Firefox on my Windows 7 PC, and I tend to use Chrome on Windows XP, because it’s easier on the eyes there. But even then, I also have to have a Firefox window open for use of certain extensions.

Also with Firefox I can open multiple instances, which is pretty handy, but a complicated subject.

• mganai

Multiple instances, as in tabs or windows? You can do that on practically any of the other browsers.

• jstern

As in browsers. For example I have 3 different Fiirefox that have different bookmarks, passwords, and web history, and I can run them all at once.

• Meadows

Geoff, could you pull server stats *anyway* when the results are in, and show us in a comparison?

• blastdoor

I would love to see this..

• DrDillyBar

IE9 brought the one feature I liked from Chrome. Picking up a tab and moving it out of the browser to start a new window. Due to that improvement alone I’d have to say IE9 is the most improved.

• MaxTheLimit

Chrome seems the fastest to me, but the bugs are annoying.
    Firefox is the most customizable, and flexible, but it seems to sit heavier on a system…and all those updates…
    Opera seems the one that ‘just works’ but it’s ugly, and I’m not a fan o f the interface layout.

• Bensam123

Erm, have you used it with a clean installation recently? It’s possible to change it back to an original layout and it does keep your settings.

• ybf

FF 4.0b12 was a massive memory leak. The last instance I had open before I DL’ed the 4.0 released version had run itself up over a gigabite of RAM, and there was only one tab open. Horrible.

• anotherengineer

I guess Netscape falls under other πŸ™‚

I voted FF4, however the last time I used Opera I think it was ver 7 lol and I have never tried out chrome.

Add block + in FF = sweet

edit [url<]http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/netscape.htm[/url<] lol

• UberGerbil

It’s funny: for all the time I spend using them each day, I just don’t care. Not the way I care about IDEs or glossy screens or clicky keyboards or IPS, anyway. All of them have things I like; all of them have things that drive me up the wall. And I usually can’t be bothered finding the switches or fiddly add-ons or whatever to make one look/act like another — I’ve got them all installed, so if I want that feature I’ll just launch the browser that has it (just like I only have Flash installed in IE, so on the very rare case where I need to have Flash working I just copy the URL over to an IE window). In fact it’s not unusual for me to have three different browsers going, and to have maybe seven or eight separate browser windows, each with 20-70 tabs.

So I didn’t vote, since there isn’t an option for “none” (I guess I could choose “other” but that implies something else).

• Meadows

[quote<]seven or eight separate browser windows, each with 20-70 tabs[/quote<] Hardcore.

• eitje

I’m with you. Except that I have Flash installed with Opera, where I can F12 to enable and disable plugins, then F5 to refresh a page w/ flash that I want to see.

However, I use Firefox and IE at work interchangably, IE and Opera at home, and Chrome Portable on my USB. πŸ™‚

• stdRaichu

Been using Opera since v4 and still not found anything I like better – no futzing around with extensions just to do basic things like re-arrange the UI, enable gestures or change keyboard shortcuts. It’s still bitchin’ fast and still uses less resources than firefox, which even with v4.0 gobbles memory like it’s going out of fashion, and still doesn’t release it.

Never really thought chrome was terribly impressive, and IE9 is behind absolutely everything in terms of UI and extensibility.

• Sam125

OK, who’re the 3% trolling this poll and voting for IE6??

• ybf

it’s really only 1%, but there’s a bug in IE that submits things in triplicate….

• mutarasector

Hmmm… Chrome is climbing fast in the poll during the past 30 minutes.

• aspect

You IE9 users should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Helmore

Why should they? It’s their choice. I would agree with you if it was an older version of IE, but IE9 is pretty decent.
      Personally I prefer Chrome though.

• JohnC

Why? It’s as fast as other browsers (at least subjectively) + it has tabs + you can easily set it up for blocking Ads (using AdBlock’s databases/subscriptions). What else would majority of people want from their browser?

• StuffMaster

SeaMonkey of course!

• Ricardo Dawkins

Opera Mini

• Meadows

I’m a “vertical tabs” convert, so really the only choice for me is Firefox or Opera. And since that’s the case, Opera all the way. Not only do I need a separate addon in Firefox to add vertical tabs support, but Opera is still faster with an all-software engine.

Makes Opera-goers wonder what dimensions will converge when hardware acceleration does, in fact, get implemented finally.

• bthylafh

Er, Chrome’s got the ability to do vertical tabs. You have to go to about:flags and enable it first.

• cygnus1

just turned that on, and it kicks ass. mucho gracias

• cygnus1

and the thing i like the most is getting the tabs out of the top bar in my full screen remote desktop sessions

• Meadows

And as always, Chrome hides the most obvious features as much as is humanly possible. I still won’t use the browser because it’s clunky, godawful ugly, and you can see how “side tabs” were a total afterthought. You can’t even drag the margin of the side tabs to change width and title visibility, and that’s before I looked at how visually unappealing it (and the resulting browser window) was.

• GrimDanfango

Why are these polls always so obviously released at the very moment the responses will be weighted by a recent announcement. The “pick of upcoming games” was slapped up within minutes of the Skyrim and BF3 announcements, and guess who came out top?

I’d probably vote Firefox anyway, as I’ve always preferred the customisability… but it’s fairly obvious it’ll come out on top a day after the Firefox 4 release, regardless of people’s long term preference.

• bthylafh

ELinks! It’s a really good text-mode browser, and I now prefer it to Lynx.

OK, OK, I voted for Chrome.

• way2strong

Talk about feature creep, Links 2.3 works just fine…

• Arag0n

Voted IE9 not cuz i think it’s the best but because i think it’s the most improved one. I feel hard to choose if i have to vote for the best since i usually use chrome, ie9 and opera and i feel like liking the features of each one, and not anoyed by any of them for some reason. Only opera sometimes with excesive memory needs.

• mutarasector

Firefox 4…I like it – a *lot*.

It seems to be snappier responding, and renders a tad quicker. I don’t care for the default theme look much, but some of my key add-ons, Speed Dial, Fox Tab, and Showcase work well, and the MacOSX theme for Firefox 4 looks nice. I’m hoping Chuck updates FEBE soon as I use it all the time. If the add-on makers can get their stuff updated and we can get some more usable themes, I suspect Firefox 4 will retain its desktop user share lead.

• lezmaka

[url<]http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe70.html[/url<]

• mutarasector

Thanks for the link! I just installed it – time to bang on it.

• crazybus

All major browsers are good these days, even Safari on Windows is relatively decent. I’ve been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix and I’m unlikely to change now that version 4 is out. In my experience it remains the most configurable and extensible browser.

• thesmileman

The people who votes for Safari should be publicly ridiculed.

• flip-mode

Already? It’s still too soon to tell, guys.

• barich

I’d go with IE9 if it had Adblock Plus (which I disable on TR and a few other sites that I specifically want to support), but since it doesn’t I’ll have to go with Firefox 4. Wish it started up faster, though. IE9 and Chrome are instant, and Firefox takes a few seconds.

• [SDG]Mantis

On my system, Firefox 4 starts slightly faster than Chrome. IE9 starts a little faster. But I’m used to the extensibility of Firefox and glad for the speed-up. I used Chrome at times, but never like it as much. I’ve also used Opera for a while. Didn’t like it as well as Chrome.

• tay

Chrome starts up faster, but then screws the pooch for a while with the window open. Whats the use. Its just a perception thing.

• oldog

b,

IE 9 does have Adblock Plus (EasyPrivacy) and then some. All you need to do is use the “tracking protection” feature. Moreover, you can block all that ad info going back to Google. You know the ads that follow you around forever because you searched for it like two years ago.

For this reason alone IE 9 is da bomb. It is not beholden to the Google ad empire.

• barich

Now that’s interesting. I didn’t realize that tracking protection actually blocked ads. It works well. Given that IE9 supports tab isolation and is sandboxed, unlike Firefox, I might switch. Especially since it seems faster to me. Although, I have realized that I like the Awesome Bar better than IE’s implementation. The title and URL view, plus the favicon, make it easier to pick out sites.

• HisDivineShadow

Doesn’t work that way for me. Just blocks info, not the ads.

• oldog

From the Ripley’s “Believe it or Not” file comes useful information from CNET. Look at the two vids on configuring “tracking protection” in IE9. The key is configuring “your personalized list” (which will include multiple references to info sent to Google for tracking purposes). Also adding the “EasyPrivacy” option will kill most ads as well.

As I understand Adblock Plus does not block sending info to Google although I believe there is an extension that does do that.

• Usacomp2k3

Most improved is IE9. I still use Chrome though because I separate work stuff from personal stuff by using different browsers.

• jackaroon

you didn’t start with <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=9″ /> so I’m interpreting your post to be about as shitty as if you were talking about IE6.

• zgirl

I voted for chrome because it is shiny. lol

I like it still a bit better than FF.

• sweatshopking

if you like shiny, opera’s your thing! that’s pretty much the only reason i use it over chrome! shiny, and transparent!!!

• zgirl

I voted for Chrome because I like it and use it, never cared for Opera. The shiny reference was a play on words. Chrome = shiny, has nothing to do with browsers. Maybe the joke was too obvious.

• OneArmedScissor

I voted Chrome because I like the integrated Flash and PDF viewer, but those things were there by version 6, and mine is version 12 now! I can’t tell any difference. It’s hard to call Chrome 10 a “new” browser, much less a major release. I didn’t even notice it.

• fent

I voted for FF4, but I would contemplate switching to Chrome if there was better tab management. Something along the lines of tabmix plus, does anyone know of an extension for Chrome that does something similar to that? I want tab rows ok.

• Dazrin

There are two features that I can get in FF that I haven’t found in Chrome. If these are available in Chrome, please let me know. I would love to give it a serious trial but I rely on these two features too much.

1) From Tab Mix Plus – Scroll to select tabs from the tab bar. I have found a similar item that lets you scroll to select tabs, but only when holding another key/button and only while in the browser window (not the tab bar for some reason).
      2) From Back to Close – Use the back button of your mouse to close a tab if it has no history or just go back one page if there is a history for that tab.

There are a couple other extensions I really like, but those are the ones I don’t want to live without.

• adam1378

I just downloaded Firefox 4 and it is pretty impressive. Very clean header and bookmarks don’t look like an afterthought. I still love Chrome.

• BoBzeBuilder

OMG CHROME IS @ 75% WITH 3 VOTES.