Samsung presentation reveals 400-ppi display plans

Slates with ultra-high-density LCD panels are coming… eventually. Just as rumors regarding an iPad with a "retina" display were beginning to simmer down, Engadget has posted details about a Samsung presentation that casts some (indirect) light on the subject.

The presentation includes this rather telling slide highlighting Samsung’s slate LCD roadmap for the next four years or so. Apparently, panels with 130-170 pixels per inch are coming in the near term, with 200-300-ppi models featuring optional, glasses-free stereoscopic 3D to follow. Later, we’ll apparently get to enjoy panels with pixel densities as high as 400 ppi. Battery life will purportedly increase along the way, too.

As you might recall, Nvidia demonstrated the successor to its Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip, Kal-El, driving a 2560×1600 display last month. 2560×1600 happens to be roughly the amount of pixels you might see on a 10.1" display with a 300-ppi pixel density. Clearly, there’s plenty of momentum behind the push for slates with high-density displays.

I’m just hoping this momentum will eventually propagate to desktop LCDs. Give me scaled-up 1080p video and games all you like—I don’t mind—but please, please let me have sharp text that hasn’t been smudged or distorted by clumsy font antialiasing schemes.

• Anonymous Coward

Nice to have something to look forward to regarding screens. Its been pretty lame for years.

• Thanato

I like to see Ciniq’s made with these high dpi’s. Graphics artists unite!

• WaltC

Let’s see…since I am allergic to portables of any type, and tablets I see as the biggest short-lived fad since the hula-hoop, I’m wondering which I’d rather see in front of me…a 30″ 2500×1600 display or a 10″ 2500×1600 display. Hmmmm….really doesn’t seem very hard to decide…;)

• Bauxite

I’ll take 2560×1600 anything over your two choices, since either of those would be an abomination: not even 16:9 let alone the golden 16:10

😉

The 10″ could 4:1 map 1280×800 for text if program fails at scaling and be quite readable with no blur/aliasing. Running it in full 1:1 “graphics mode” that is some incredible picture quality potential.

I messed around with a 27″ 16:9 2560×1440 for a bit, and it was neat putting four 720p videos in a grid all playing at once with no scaling. However, you can pry my 30″ 16:10 IPS only from my cold dead hands…until something better comes along.

• odizzido

fuzzy text has somehow become a problem and it sucks a lot. How is it even possible to screw up text?

• NeelyCam

Bought a Logitech LCD monitor/TV a while ago. TV looked OK, but PC looked like sh&t – I don’t know what they did to the PC signal, but it was fuzzy as hell.

• Flatland_Spider

Were you using VGA rather then DVI or HDMI/Displayport?

• Forge

Yeah, they mess with overscan and resize unneccessarily, apparently because some TV providers provide an undersize (matted) picture. It’s horrible.

Google up your TV’s OEM settings menu, disable overscan and resizing! Your eyes will thank you!

• Flatland_Spider

Very easily.

LCDs force text into a rectangular grid pattern, and it forces software to use anti-aliasing to keep the text from looking jagged. This, in turn, forces the software to choose between text having a correct shape, OS X style, or have a clear shape, Windows style.

It also helps if the fonts were designed with the limitations of LCDs in mind, and a lot of older fonts were designed with CRTs in mind.

The answer is higher dot inch displays, but manufacturers would rather flood the market with crap panels.

• HiggsBoson

What’s the point of all those pixels without a resolution independent OS?

• sweatshopking

MASSIVE EPEEN!!!!!!! I don’t personally see a difference between the iphone 4’s RETINA/OMGAMAZING/MAGICAL display, vs on of samsung’s amoled screens, except the colors look better on the samsung screen.

• Corrado

I can def see a diff. Nexus S screen is nice, but the iPhone4 is nicer

• NeelyCam

I can see the pixels on my Motorola Atrix; I couldn’t see them on iPhone4. And I could definitely see them on Galaxy S

• adam1378

Same here on the Evo…especially with a white background.

• Flatland_Spider

That’s in the pipeline, but updating legacy code takes a while.

It’s not really about ppi, but for the people who buy 24″ displays and run them at 1024×768.

• sweatshopking

OVERKILL FTW!!

• mesyn191

Man screw high res tablets, give me affordable high res monitors for my PC. I think the cheapest 2560×1600 monitors _start_ at around $1,000 right now. Buncha bullshit I tell you.