Samsung to begin mass production of transparent LCDs

Although several firms are experimenting with transparent LCDs, it looks like Samsung is the first to put the technology into mass production. TechEye is reporting that Samsung’s transparent 22″ panels will roll off the production line in color and black-and-white flavors. Few details are available on the screens themselves, but we know they’ll have 1680×1050 resolutions and a 500:1 contrast ratios.

Advertising is pegged as the most likely application for the initial batch of displays. There’s no word yet on how expensive the first see-through offerings will be, but as with most things, prices should fall over time. Since they don’t require a backlight, transparent LCDs are expected to become cheaper than traditional screens eventually. You probably won’t be able to read them in the dark, though.

Transparent LCD technology sure sounds neat, but it’s hard to imagine a compelling usage scenario for PCs, be they desktops or mobile systems. There’s rarely anything behind my LCD that I really want to see. At the same time, I could really use 1680×1050 pixels worth of display capability on my windshield.

• sonofsanta

Stick the guts of a lightweight tablet in the bezel and have the transparent LCD as an augmented reality work slate. That’d be awesome.

Not sure if components are small enough yet, mind…

• Imperor

In the workd of CSI this has been around for ages. Why you would want to show off classified info for all to see has always been beyond me though and I’d think there are better uses for these screens.
    Being able to slap documents on the office window doesn’t really seem that practical either, you’d still be showing everything off to everyone in sight, albeit backwards…

Practicality don’t always win out over flashyness though!

• ShadowTiger

These will be great for museums, theme parks, etc because you can use them as hud style windows. One of the photos i saw looked pretty cool.

but 1680×1050… for a 22 inch screen? No thank you!

• Biggins

This is a bad idea for desktop and especially laptop computers. Samsung showed a laptop with a transparent screen at a trade show a few weeks ago. There is rarely anything I want to see that’s behind my screen. The worst part would be sitting in an airport (or other high traffic areas) trying to read a document. It would be very difficult to read when things are moving around behind the screen. Some people think transparent screens are cool because they saw it in [i<]Minority Report[/i<] or [i<]Matrix: Revolutions[/i<]. The directors just wanted to see the actor's face and what he sees on the screen at the same time. Otherwise it's distracting. It would be cool to have as a HUD on a windshield to show speed, RPM's and give directions using GPS. Although people would probably hack it so they could watch YouTube or the morning news while they're driving.

• HisDivineOrder

HUD’s in general (cars, windows, mirrors for cars and homes, etc) would benefit from that. Interesting. Depends on how bright/visible they are.

• sweatshopking

I want this in teh bathroom, so i can watch things whilst dropping a bomb, but then my wife can’t whine about the mirror being gone.

• dalisam

Heads Up Display for the car.

• Turd-Monkey

Does anyone else think it’s funny they’re going to be 16:10?

I’ve been looking at picking up a new Laptop and seems like everyone went 16:9 this generation (for business machines at least, consumer machines went 16:9 a while ago)

Seems like Apple is only one holding the line at 16:10, though I’d rather go Latitude or Thinkpad.

Don’t get me started on aspect ratios!

*commences teeth gnashing*

• Ushio01

I’ve never gotten why this is a problem 16:10 1680×1050 TN panels are being replaced by 16:9 1920X1080 IPS panels at the same price point so where’s the problem?

• The Dark One

A lot of tasks benefit from the extra vertical room given on a 16:10 monitor. Just look at how modern browsers are trying to cut away as much of the interface as possible from the top and bottom of each window to get around the problem.

• Ushio01

How is that relevant when the resolution has increased?

• sweatshopking

DON’T CONFUSE THE ISSUE WITH YOUR FACTS!!!

• Turd-Monkey

Because my eyes don’t upgrade when I purchase a panel with more pixels.

In order to keep text the same size, I’d have to bump my fonts up proportionally, otherwise I’d strain my eyes more than I already do. BAM, there go the vertical 30 pixels that 1080p gave me. (Noting that most of these 16:9 panels we’re seeing are physically shorter than the 16:10 panels they replace.)

Note that my constraints may be different than yours, I code all day in vim and I’m not as young as I used to be.

• Ushio01

Not really relevant since the 1680×1050 16:10 monitors at 20″ and 22″ are being replaced by 21.5″ and 23″ 1920×1080 16:9 monitor’s with better quality IPS screen’s.

On another note how are you dealing with the increasing resolution on smartphones as increased PPI is becoming a popular marketing tool? Do you prefer for instance the iphone 3GS over the iphone 4 due to the lower resolution?

• rechicero

If they are transparent, a number of stacked panels could create a real 3D monitor

• blastdoor

Great augmented reality opportunities for office windows and such. I can imagine a game where you can pelt virtual rotten eggs at your boss as he walks to his car.

Edit — also great for train and tour bus windows to provide extra info about the things you’re looking at…

• BiffStroganoffsky

Are you thinking the rear windshield…so you could flick someone tailing you the bird?

• adam1378

Or ask the hot girl in the other car her number.

• ludi

I foresee a condition in which those two applications are used in close sequence.

• kamikaziechameleon

Flex display tech has existed for a long time and due to lack of imagination it hasn’t ever appeared in products.