10-inch, Android 3.0-powered Acer slate to cost $449

Acer looks to have a real, potentially attractive iPad competitor coming our way. PC World reports that the Iconia Tab A500, a 10.1" design with Wi-Fi connectivity, Android 3.0, and Nvidia’s Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip, will ship Stateside on April 24. The best part? Acer will charge $449 for it, undercutting Apple’s iPad 2 by 50 bucks.

The Acer device will apparently be a tad heavier and bulkier than the Apple slate, with a weight of 1.69 lbs and a thickness of 0.52" "at its thinnest point." Still, the rest of the specs look competitive: 10 hours of web surfing run time, 16GB of internal storage, five-megapixel rear and two-megapixel front cameras, and a MicroSD card slot—something the iPad 2 doesn’t offer without a $29 adapter.

PC World says the Iconia Tab A500 premiered at CES, and it does sound a whole lot like that prototype we saw running Dungeon Defenders at the show. We were told that model had a 9", 16:9 display, though. Either way, the Tegra 2 chip inside has enough brawn for real 3D gaming.

• Xenolith

Asus Tranformer appears to be the clear winner when going head-to-head with the A500 – [url<]http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer-vs-acer-iconia-tab-a500-08145156/[/url<]

• cycomiko

Excellent, they undercut the price of the ipad in the USA, except in NZ they price it identically.

Guess they would prefer me to purchase the ipad

• swaaye

Does anyone else think tablets are overrated? I think these ~10″ devices are kinda heavy to hold for long periods. And the input challenges of a touch screen are pretty annoying. I’ve been playing with a 7″ Nook Color (modded with CM7 installed) and I am starting to go back to my EeePC 900 because it’s faster and much easier to browse the web on (especially when typing is involved on forums). Android browsers suck compared to the desktop choices too (even Opera Mobile 11).

I am still astonished that Android devices don’t utilize 2D acceleration. Browsing some sites is agonizingly slow. Opera Mobile 11 is OpenGL accelerated and super fast compared to the Android Webkit-based junk, but the browser has its own annoyances.

• Corrado

Your problem is that you’re using a Nook Color having shoehorned Android on it. The Nexus S I have has hardware accelerated 2D UI, using the stock Gingerbread launcher. The Nook is made to be an e-book reader. Try again using a Xoom or a Nexus S.

• swaaye

Nah. I just was at the store and played with a Xoom. It has similar slowness in its stock browser. I tried out a few trouble sites, like the XDA forum. Opera Mobile smooths this out. Oh and the Xoom is rather heavy and is why I brought up the weight issue. I was imagining holding the Xoom for an hour with one hand say when I already think the 7″ Nook Color is heavy enough compared to a sitting netbook.

I just think that the usability of tablets is not so great regardless of the hype and techie excitement surrounding them. Typing is horribly annoying compared to a keyboard and that’s the main thing I think. But also things like making it difficult to import, organize or export bookmarks. Some sites not rendering right. And the 2D performance aspect which is just crazy because Windows XP outperforms these things.

• Namarrgon

I find my NookColor very usable – but for specific tasks only. It’s great for showing photos or short videos to visitors, ditto for Google Maps/Earth stuff, acceptable for casual browsing in bed, and makes a very nice Angry Birds player.

I have a smartphone for anything mobile, and a work PC & a decent laptop for everything else. The NookColor won’t replace any of those, but there are some cases when I want the convenience of a portable device with a larger screen than my phone.

• tcunning1

I used a borrowed iPad 1 for about a week and truly enjoyed the experience–mostly web browsing, email, YouTube, etc. But when I switched back to my clapped out old Dell laptop I was astonished how much faster it was to actually get something useful done. The full featured applications, menus, toolbars, etc. make a huge difference. I do think touch is the interface of the future, but for now I’d love to have a laptop with the best of both worlds–a full size keyboard AND a top quality capacitive touch screen, so I could choose whether to use the trackpad or physically touch the screen. To my knowledge no one is introducing anything like this.

• swaaye

You can get bluetooth keyboards and mice so there is that option but I’m not sure how well those would work with these tablets which are designed around touch.

More traditional convertible tablet PCs with better screens might be a good idea indeed. Combined with Windows 7 it would be very usable.

• KoolAidMan

Tegra 2, so it’ll still be slower then the iPad 2, and it is heavier and bulkier. At least its cheaper than the Xoom.

• mcnabney

Cheaper than Xoom, but also it’s bulkier and with less storage. Anyway, the market likes to have choices. Still waiting for a Honeycomb tablet with an IPS screen at the $400 price point.

• Corrado

I still think at 10″, 16:9 is awkward to hold, especially in portrait mode. In 7″ its fine, and works well (like the Galaxy Tab), but once you get to 10″, 4:3 is the way to go.

And before people jump on me about ‘black bars’ in movies, my 16:9 TV STILL shows black bars on LOTS of movies. So going to 16:9 isn’t the magic bullet for that.

• mcnabney

A 16×9 screen will be perfect for HDTV content and will be better at the wider content used in many movies. Try watching the widescreen version of something like Laurence of Arabia on an iPad – looks like a damn comic strip.

• Corrado

I have. The problem is holding it in portrait is awkward. And again, watching a widescreen version of a movie on a 16:9 screen isn’t a lock to NOT have black bars.

• shank15217

Lol Laurence of Arabia looks like a comic strip even in movie theatres

• blastdoor

Two thoughts:

1. With tablets even more than with phones, it’s all about the apps. For consumers, games are important and the iDevices dominate with games. For businesses, security, stability, and platform maturity matter, and iDevices are better than Android there.

2. With supply chain disruptions this year, Apple’s massive pile of cash is going to put them at the front of the line for limited supplies of key components. So there could be a big difference between what Acer et al can announce and what they can ship in volume within a relevant timeframe.

• Corrado

Android STILL has no support for L2/3 VPNs. iOS does. This is critical for some business (the one i work at included) that use Juniper VPNs. Theres a Junos Pulse app for both, but the Android one only lets you access the portal. The one for iOS will pass the connection onto the OS as a normal VPN connection.

• jjj

it’s already up for pre-order at Best Buy [url<]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Iconia+Tablet+/+NVIDIA+Tegra+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+16GB+Hard+Drive+-+Aluminum+Metallic/2512059.p?id=1218332577304&skuId=2512059&st=2512059&cp=1&lp=1[/url<]

• HisDivineOrder

Price needs to be substantially lower or capability needs to be substantially superior to make inroads against Apple at this point. Application/content has been purchased for iOS devices. Universal means that many apps bought for an iPod Touch/iPhone will incline users to buy the iPad to take advantage of the purchase with both/all devices.

That adds value to the iOS-based devices that Android devices need to overcome to draw in users. $50 ain’t gonna cover it.

• blorbic5

Realistically this could cost $200 and work flawlessly and still not sell as good as the Ipad. For someone that going to spend a couple hundred dollars on what’s basically a toy there going to go with the one all their friends have/want. It’s basically the whole Ipod/mp3 player all over again. Apple didn’t have the best one or the most cost effective but when someone asked what they wanted they said an Ipod not even knowing there were other option available.

• sweatshopking

this +1
        I’d bring up again that new study saying apple users purchase their devices as status symbols, and are statistically more likely to be in the lower income brackets. it’s not about what it [i<] does [/i<] it's about what it [i<] is [/i<]

• sweatshopking

well, unless it has a fruity logo, expect it to sell about as well as the xoom.

• TaBoVilla

are you talking about fruit of the loom underwear?
      [url<]http://www.vintageskivvies.com/art/box_ads/briefs_01.jpg[/url<]

• blorbic5

I think he’s talking about the pear laptops that are on ICarly

• sweatshopking

i don’t know what an icarly is.

• geekl33tgamer

You have Google… 😀

• thermistor

If you live the US, have school-age kids, and access to cable/satellite TV, you’ll know what iCarly is.

I’ve actually watched the show several times, and am surprised at how good it is actually.

To add a geek moment, the school principal in the show is Tim Russ, AKA Tuvok from one of the Star Trek shows.