Screenshots show alleged Windows 8 app store

You know what they say—good artists copy, great artists steal. Microsoft might be about to prolong its history of goodness and greatness by building an app store into Windows 8. How do we know? Well, ZDNet reports that screenshots of the store application have leaked out into the wild.

The shots depict an interface not unlike a cross-breed between Windows Media Player 12 and Apple’s own Mac app store, which opened publicly on January 6 as an update to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The name in the title bar—Windows App Store—also doesn’t leave much to the imagination.

I’m not convinced we’re looking at the real thing, though. The user interface doesn’t look quite right for a Microsoft product, and opening the images in Photoshop reveals some funkiness in gradients and around text. Specifically, splashes of white inside and around letters that should be blending inside a darker color:

Of course, with app stores being all the rage these days, I’d be surprised if Windows 8 didn’t include some type of platform for purchasing and installing third-party software. Perhaps it’ll just end up looking a little different.

• moog

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Wasn’t expecting Kowalsky to ridicule Microsoft here.

Really no choice, it has to be done because competitors are already using this distribution model. The app store is for all apps on slate/mobile/desktop.

Of course the other option is still there, you built it, you sell it, good luck to you.

• jstern

I really hope this is not true, or that at least it won’t be integrated into the OS.

On a side note, I have an Android phone, and I really appreciate some of the programs (the term app sounds gay to me, not that there’s anything wrong with that), but I’m really hating the fact that most of the developers seems to be putting so many ads on them. Just doesn’t feel right, or natural. I really hope that the PC doesn’t go to that model. I read that Apple was looking into that for the Mac.

I much rather prefer the try the product out for 30 days, and then buy it if you like it. Even things that people just do for free on the PC you have to pay for in some way on Android. Like an NES emulator. Those are things that have always been free on the PC and people just did for the joy of it, and not it’s for profit, and selling roms that they have no right to.

Just so much bloat of people trying to make money. Which is fine, but not when it’s a bloat.

• blastdoor

Just to mess with everybody, companies like MS and Apple should intentionally start designing beta versions of software to look as if they had been photoshopped.

• grantmeaname

Clearly done by a thirteen year old (and not the one in Malaysia that normally does the dev mockups for microsoft, either).

• Firestarter

Great! So now we can finally, you know, buy software and install it on our OS?

Most awesome! I wish we had this when I was kid..

• khands

Probably would’ve had this a decade ago if it weren’t for the anti-trust lawsuits.

• moog

What about cnet, steam, torrents, best buy, gamestop, etc.

• PenGun

What’s an app? Wanders back to his Slackware install.

• dpaus

It has something to do with computers and stuff, so I guess it’s short for ‘apple’

• sweatshopking

it’s a program that’s called a stupid name. You guys do have a FEW programs on linux. I know, if you use it long enough, you start to forget that. That’s what always kept me coming back to windows. Actually being able to DO stuff on my computer. compiz is pretty, and that’s #1 on my list. it was ALMOST pretty enough to keep me just moving windows around all day, instead of playing game, or actually doing something with my pc. not quite though, so i’m back to win 7.

OFF TOPIC: CHECK OUT THIS HOT BABE! SOME OF YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF THE ATTRACTIVE BABE PIC IN THE DYMT FORUM, HERE IT IS: [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42526&start=19230#p1068261[/url<]

• OneArmedScissor

lol…

I’m so glad this is the first thing I saw on the internets today.

• ImSpartacus

Oh em gee, where’d you get that coat?

• Deanjo

Actually I find to get productivity work done, linux or OS X are better suited. The only time I boot into windows is for gaming and falls into being more of an app then a OS and basically serves no more purpose then MAME.

• Corrado

Its short for ‘application’. </snark>

Not sure how long you’ve been in this field, but as far back as I can remember, anything that is not a game was considered an ‘app’. Office, Photoshop, etc were appz. This harkens back to the BBS warez scene days.

Even on MacOS, the default extension for an executable file is ‘.app’ and has been for a very long time (At least 10 years). It is not some new mobile iNvention to hate on because you don’t like Apple.

• PenGun

The last windows I ran was NT 3.51. A solid OS kinda broken when they went to 4.0 because they opened up access to the metal so video would be fast.

Yeah I know what an app is. We called em’ programs before. An application was a small program usually.

I don’t care about Apple and the modern trend to millions of apps is just funny. Which is why I posted what I did.

• DrCR

Did you mean apt? It’s something you can get, if you’re running Debian anyway. With Slackware, iirc you can only get slapts.