Microsoft shows IE10 running on x86, ARM

The Mozilla folks aren’t the only ones trying to keep up with Chrome’s frantic release schedule. Microsoft is hard at work on the next version of its browser, and it has already released the first Internet Explorer 10 platform preview. You can grab it now from the IE test drive website… or you can just check out the demo video below:

IE10 purportedly brings support for new standards, including CSS3 gradients and CSS3 flexible-box layouts.

If you don’t find new web technologies all that titillating, there’s more. After unveiling the platform preview at the MIX11 conference yesterday, Microsoft showed IE10 running on an ARM system:

Nvidia tells us the machine was based on one of its Tegra processor and ran a next-gen version of Windows. The demo can be seen in the MIX11 replay about 30 minutes in.

• ShadowTiger

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are running IE on the most x86-like arm chip ever made.

• Coran Fixx

Don’t know much about the specifics but it looks like full hardware graphics acceleration could lead to cloud gaming or (yuk) subscription based gaming. Anyone have thoughts about that?

• Madman

There is only one thing that I can say… <!–[if IE]>Get a better browser FF, Chrome, Opera links<![endif]–> otherwise, serve content as intended.

At least web stats say IE9 is only ~1.6% of total user base so far, while FF4 is already at the 10% mark. And the statistics looks even better if you’re from Europe where IE is not No 1. browser for a very long time (http://gs.statcounter.com/).

BTW, IE10 will be Win7+ only, shchweeet, ain’t it? People who don’t use <!–[if IE]>Get a better browser FF, Chrome, Opera links<![endif]–> will have to support IE6 for XP, IE7 for everything, IE8 for everything, IE9 for Vista+, IE10 for W7+, isn’t that just awesome?

• Zkal

There has been no official word if IE10 will support Vista or not so saying IE10 will be Win7+ only is just your speculation at this point. It may very well be that way but we’ll see at final release or whenever MS reveals the supported operating systems for it.

• Madman

I had an impression comments in IE blog were screaming about this issue?

• Zkal

They are screaming since the Platform Preview as of now supports only Windows 7 but there has been no official word if Vista is dropped or not as far as I know. We just have to wait and see. Personally fearing for the worst case but hoping that it’s just that the Vista version wasn’t polished enough for release.

• Meadows

I haven’t seen you comment on anything in a while, but I certainly didn’t miss you. Just as annoying as you used to be. IE 9 is a decent browser and it eliminated the need to get a “better” one instead. Previously, my family members used a variety of browsers in the range of Opera-Firefox-Chrome, but I pretty much uninstalled that extra bloat and upgraded them all to IE 9 (we’re talking 4 or 5 PCs other than mine here) and there are no complaints whatsoever. Some of them even liked it better than the browser they had before.

Firefox may have a greater share because of more aggressive updating – it became available right away -, whereas IE 9 appeared on Windows Update perhaps a week or two after release (at the earliest), and only specific geeks had it beforehand.

Edit: Why do you speculate? Heck, your opinions and “facts” on [u<]current[/u<] technology are bad enough, so why should anyone give any credit to what you [i<]predict[/i<]?

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Previously, my family members used a variety of browsers in the range of Opera-Firefox-Chrome, but I pretty much uninstalled that extra bloat and upgraded them all to IE 9 (we're talking 4 or 5 PCs other than mine here) and there are no complaints whatsoever. Some of them even liked it better than the browser they had before.[/quote<] That implies some of them liked the previous browser better. So, why the hell did you have to go in and screw up their systems with perfectly good browsers that they liked, just to prove some point about how IE9 is "a decent browser"?

• Meadows

I regularly check family PCs for “bloat” which is virtually anything that I, lord of the computers, deem unnecessary. Usually it’s the canonical examples, like unneeded browser toolbars and “useful” free software that all crawl onto your PC as a result of not reading the installation terms of otherwise valid software. Every freeware tries to shove another one down your throat, and these “bonuses” are always checked by default, and I swear I’m the only one who reads setup screens and unchecks things ever.

Anyway, this time around, I decided IE 9 is finally good enough. You also have to realise that you’re talking about Joe and Jane Averages here – while some of them liked the change, this does not mean the rest didn’t. It actually means the rest were indifferent, just as they were indifferent when I moved them *away* from IE 7 back in those days. They just don’t care. They only want a method by which to display Facebook, their torrent sites, and Google.

Regardless, I still think they should have a decent experience, and this being family PCs, I’m also aware that IE’s security is – in real-world cases – top notch. Chrome may be harder to hack in forced, fabricated scenarios, but you rarely hear of IE 8 (or 9, for that matter) being hijacked on a properly installed UAC’d Windows system “in the wild”. Besides, I myself prefer the aesthetics of the new IE and have mixed feelings for Google either way.

(Actually I was exaggerating – one specific torrent-happy family member preferred to stick to Opera nonetheless, because he was that very fond of Speed Dial. Opera indeed has a powerful version of that feature on their hands, and it seems it’s a selling point even as others have all copied the concept. The guy, instead of using stored sessions, tab groups, or bookmarks, simply maintains a 5 by 5 grid of Speed Dial destinations he visits most often, top results being weather, social networks, e-mail, etc.)

• sweatshopking

watch out for JAE, saying torrents will make him froth at the mouth.

• Meadows

We always download the latest Linux ISOs.

• sweatshopking

lol. me too.

• Madman

It’s only “good enough” because of all the blood, sweat and tears of the web developers. And even now, they continue raping the web with closed H26x.proprietary stuff. And hundreds of compatibly modes that creep up whenever they like.

The only place IE9 looks good is their blog page, with super skewed statics and benchmarking of irrelevant stuff. I have already found few bugs of IE9 while doing development, and I’m so enough with fact “lets spend few more weeks so that the page looks good on IE” that I don’t want to bother with that anymore.

On all other browsers everything works, on all other browsers updates are done transparently, on all other browsers stuff is no proprietary. But not IE.

• albundy

how will other software that i wanna install behave on a non-x86 cpu? or would it have to be re-written/ported… would be nice to use google voice or skype on it.

• Usacomp2k3

What version of IE does Windows Phone 7 use?

• Zkal

Currently it uses rendering engine based on IE7 with bits of IE8. The update after NoDo (called Mango) will change the rendering engine to IE9.

• packfan_dave

The current WP7 browser is its own thing, kind of an IE7.5. With the fall ‘Mango’ update, it’s moving to IE9.

• sweatshopking

which comes with the html5 support, and gpu accel

• TaBoVilla

well that was quick..

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I guess they (MS) didn’t like IE9?

• sweatshopking

NOW is it ok to mention this? a full day later?!

• indeego

Yep. IE9 is definitely faster on those benches than FF.

BRB, gotta reboot my ENTIRE OS BECAUSE MY BROWSER IS INSECURE.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, that never happens [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=safari+update+restart&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=&oq=<]when other OS's update their browsers[/url<] or even their [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=itunes+update+restart&aq=f&aqi=g-v2&aql=&oq=<]media players / DRM mechanisms[/url<].

• indeego

What is your point? It shouldn’t happen, period. It never happens with Chrome/Firefox on any OS. You can be damn sure Google will reduce the browser’s impact on Chrome(OS.)

• Meadows

I’m not sure. It’s hard to resist the devil of “integration”. It’s the same reason that iTunes, quoted above, requires a MacOS reboot after updates.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, and when the team that delivers the browser (or the media-handling app-store-delivering DRM-enforcing ecommerce utility, or whatever you want to categorize iTunes) is also responsible for libraries that other pieces of the OS depend on, and they take a new browser release as the opportunity to fix bugs or add features to those libraries, you can end up there even when you don’t intend to.

What MS should do (if they actually cared about this, which they evidently don’t) is push the updated libraries out via Windows update a few weeks earlier. Then you’d have the normal windows update induced reboots, which people mostly just accept without complaint. Then when the next version of IE was released, it would magically not require a reboot. As Apple long ago figured out, magic is all about managing perception.

• d0g_p00p

Blame the anti-trust against Microsoft because of including a web browser with their OS requiring them to build the browser into the core OS.

• Meadows

…What?

• bdwilcox

Is anyone able to get that MIX11 video to play?

• Meadows

Works for me.

• bdwilcox

Harumph. Still not working for me through IE, Firefox or Chrome.

• thesmileman

Not with that attitude it wont!

It works for me!

Booosh, and/or CA-COW!

• pot

Wow, that was pretty fast. I do like the new standards though, will have to mess around with them later.

• Meadows

This could be the first sprinkle of that magic dust that Windows needs to really enter the tablet market, however useless said market may appear. At least to me.

It’s also bad for AMD, as they’re still trying to cook up a mobile strategy, but if *everyone* switches to ARM, that’s, well, bad. The fact that this move may also disadvantage intel and their Atom devices is quite irrelevant, I don’t root for them anyway.

• NeelyCam

Huh, you just admitted that you’re an AMD fanboy.

1) everyone moving to ARM is “bad”
      2) Windows on ARM disadvantaging Intel is “irrelevant”

From now on, your posts don’t matter.

• Meadows

Your posts haven’t been mattering for months, so I’m not exactly envious of your position. You’re a repulsive intel fanboy of greater vocality and fortitude than I will ever display about AMD or NVidia, i.e. my own picks.

• NeelyCam

I have never said that I feel bad about something affecting Intel in a negative way but that I couldn’t care less if that same thing affected AMD. Although you don’t realize it because of your own green-colored goggles, I am neutral towards both Intel and AMD, and NVidia, Apple, Microsoft and any-other-company. Your post here is clearly biased because you announce your “feelings” regarding AMD’s situation. Having those feelings makes you a fanboy/girl.

In contrast, my posts have labeled me as an Intel fanboy because they [i<]generally[/i<] talk about Intel having better CPUs, semiconductor process and R&D. The last two are pretty much facts - the first one is more debatable, but could easily be defended. None of these should label me as a fanboy. The times when AMD has done well, I've pointed that out - you may have missed how I was all 'ooh' and 'aah' about Zacate when I first saw it (..until I saw the CPU benchies, and desktop idle power). The times when Intel has done badly (SB mobo bug, low speeds on 320 SSDs), I've been equally vocal about what my opinion was. I admit that I sometimes push buttons, because getting an (extremely) emotional response from a fanboy of any of the 'camps' is entertaining. But my posts are (almost) always based on reasonable point of view, and emotional only when I think the personal attacks cross a certain threshold. I previously thought your posts were pretty smart and knowledgeable (although you tend to come across as a grammar nazi jerk from time to time). I'm disappointed to find out that you're a fanboy/girl. Good thing there are other, less emotional intellectuals out there (WaltC, MadManOriginal, UberGerbil...) so it's not such a huge loss to me.

• Palek

The success of AMD’s low-end devices is much more important for their survival than Atom is for intel. intel could scrap the entire Atom line and it would hardly make a dent in their bottom line. It’s in the interest of the entire industry that AMD survives and thrives; I don’t think rooting for the perennial CPU underdog makes one an AMD fanboy/girl/thing.

Of course just that’s my take on the issue.

• NeelyCam

That seems fair

• sweatshopking

ummmm, you seem to have left my name out of your intellectual list…. feel free to update!

• Meadows

Your puny intellect will never match mine.

• sweatshopking

🙁

• blastdoor

It will certainly be interesting to see how windows performs on ARM relative to iOS and android.