Apple posts record quarterly revenue, profit

I kind of wish Intel and Apple would cut it out… my fingers are getting tired of typing “billion” and “record quarter” over and over. They’ve done it again, though. Hot on Intel’s heels, Apple has just announced both record revenue and record profit for its second fiscal quarter, which ended on March 26.

Q2FY10 Q1FY11 Q2FY11
Revenue $13.50 billion $26.74 billion $24.67 billion
Net profit $3.07 billion $6 billion $5.99 billion
Gross margin 41.7% 38.5% 41.4%

I think Steve Jobs sums it up rather well in the press release: “With quarterly revenue growth of 83 percent and profit growth of 95 percent, we’re firing on all cylinders.”

What about Mac, iPhone, iPod, and iPad shipments? Apple continues to provide sales numbers, giving us a glimpse at the shifting popularity of its gadgets.

Q2FY10 Q1FY11 Q2FY11
Macs 2.94 million 4.13 million 3.76 million
iPods 10.89 million 19.45 million 9.02 million
iPhones 8.75 million 16.24 million 18.65 million
iPads 7.33 million 4.69 million

Nothing all that new under the sun here. iPod sales are still inching down slowly, while Macs and iPhones are climbing. The iPad is still too new for a year-over-year comparison. I think it’s remarkable that iPhone shipments were substantially higher last quarter than in the holiday quarter, especially considering the presence of many solid, capable competitors from the Android and Windows Phone 7 camps.

Looking forward to the ongoing quarter, Apple expects revenue to climb to $23 billion. That would be a 46% increase over the same quarter last year, or yet another record. I guess I’d better set up some macros…

• ronch

No surprise, given how the number of Apple fanbois continue to increase and how much these fanbois are willing to pay to make Jobs’ Mob richer and richer. If you own an Apple product and complain how bad the economy is, you’ve got apples stuck in your ass.

• MathMan

Just to make things clear: the official definition of an Apple fanboy is somebody who buys Apple products. Right?

• End User

Apple has outperfomed the PC market for the past 20 quarters & surpassed Microsoft’s market cap by $100+ billion

• ClickClick5

When Steve goes…Apple will flow for a few years after. But without his vision, Apple’s future is kinda blank. Unless someone comes along to correctly fill his shoes.

For some odd reason, I see Jobs as Flynn.
    (Gotta give him credit though. Apple, NeXTSTEP, Pixar….need more award metals?”

I would hardly count NeXT as a success. :p

• dpaus

If nothing else, it’s a success as a lesson to firms trying to emulate Apple’s business model right now (are you paying attention here, [i<]hp[/i<]??) - controlling the entire user experience will not always/inevitably yield business success.

• ShadowTiger

Honestly… at this point I would rather that 70% of people just used apple devices and 30% were happily buzzing along with windows/linux

Then I could feel special because all of my stuff would be niche and catered to exactly what I want, and maybe there wouldn’t be as much virus/hacking efforts against windows users.

• etrigan420

…you damn elitists and your locked down hard/software…

• shank15217

Many companies are making record profits while the American economy suffers and people lose their homes. At some point all this is gonna slow down and come to a crashing halt as people start shifting from a credit economy to a savings economy.. Apple products are luxury, most of the time these products are bought with a best buy card or Apple credit. At some point the money is going to have to stop rolling in.

• Deanjo

Umm well you are wrong. Most Apple products (with the exception of iPod/iPhone) are sold via Apple webstore or their retail outlets with a third party credit card (Visa, Amex,etc) (Apple credit is such a small share it doesn’t even come close to any one individual CC brand).

• cegras

His point was that most of the purchases are probably done on credit.

• demani

Only thing is that because the products are more expensive, they tend not to go to people who have less disposable cash. Dude, you want a cheap computer? Dude, get a Dell. But Pothead Dude can’t afford even a Dell when the gas prices hit $4/gallon and his commuting costs to get to his job at Best Buy are costing him an extra $20/week. But Sir Applebaum had enough extra scrilla to drop $700 on an iPad or a MacBook Air even in this down economy (and even if the purchase is on credit, its likely not going to be drawn out over 24 months).

• shank15217

Pothead dudes and people without money are buying apple products to project an image of wealth. Apple products make you look like you’re well off, this helps with self esteem and keeps people in denial about their real issues. ie..I got a mac book pro.. but I can’t pay my rent on time.. but at least I can show off my mac book pro at the neighborhood starbucks.

• esterhasz

Most Apple products are dramatically cheaper than a house or a car though. And – I know, I shouldn’t talk about it, it’s scary – there is a world outside the US. With the construction of a social safety net under way people in countries like China will start spending more and saving less. It is true that Apple is one of the few IT companies that makes more than 1/3 or their revenue in the Americas but this will probably change as soon as 2012…

• OneArmedScissor

The trouble is that it’s a lot easier to nickel and dime yourself into the red with a credit card than it is to buy a car or house on a loan and go belly up. You could plop a $500+ charge on your card for the latest toy over and over, completely irrespective of your current income, not pay a dime on it, and no one will question you.

• shank15217

The Chinese rarely spend more than what they have, in fact many buy cars and even houses cash down to avoid interest charges. The whole culture there is to make money and save it and buy things within their means. These things rarely change in one generation, I don’t think the Chinese will ever live in a society where they are willingly put themselves in debt. The Chinese economy is growing simply because they export most of their goods and are a huge manufacturer base and their labor is cheap and currency is vastly undervalued. They will keep things like this as long as possible, in some ways its more capitalistic than the US and the government works very hard to keep business costs low.

• MadManOriginal

Given the numbers in the first chart I can’t figure out the last paragraph. How would $23B revenue be a record?

• insulin_junkie72

It would be a record for the third quarter, like this was a record for the second quarter.

• khands

Yeah, it’s a new record for the quarter, not all quarters.

• Vasilyfav

19.45 million 9.02 million

Hmm? Typo?

• grantmeaname

That or christmas.

• Buub

Those eeevil capitalists!

• Grigory

Freedom can never be evil.

• NeelyCam

Capitalism = oppression of The People

• Grigory

True colors shining. Taking away people’s fruit of their labor to hand it to leeches and parasites to buy their votes, THAT’S oppression of the people. The non-leeching people that is.

• potatochobit

if you can remember, the holiday quarter is when the antenna problem and screen rumors were going around, also verizon iphone was slated for an upcoming release
    I personally was waiting for the white iphone 4 which has not happened yet so now I’ll just wait for an iphone 5

• indeego

It is rather odd to bother with a white phone now, at the end quarter for their cycle.

Most people just case their phones in ___ anyway? Why would you wait for a specific color when you can skin it anyway?

• bthylafh

Apple weenies, eh?

• Hattig

I use human skin, it’s a Necronomiphone.

• bthylafh

Klaatu Barada …jobsrdf…

• potatochobit

Resale value and aesthetics

most mac stuff has always been white or silver
        if I wanted a black berry I would have bought a black berry

its true that most people put cases on their phone
        I own at least 4 myself
        but I like nice cases, see how the logo shows through?

[url<]http://img.ithrough.com/T_348X270/201103/IPG96R.JPG[/url<] it looks so much nicer with a white background

• sweatshopking

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please see my comment on intel.