Razer motion controller gets release schedule, price

Razer’s Sixense-infused Hydra motion controller was the coolest thing we saw at CES 2010. Now, nearly 17 months later, we finally know when you’ll be able to buy the thing: June. Pre-orders will begin in May, and you can expect to pay $140 for a Hydra bundle that includes Portal 2. The version of the game included with the controller will come with a special MotionPack DLC loaded with levels designed specifically with the Hydra in mind.

Curiously, there’s no word on how much standalone versions of the Hydra sold without Portal 2 will cost. You won’t have to pay for the bundle to get the MotionPack DLC, though. Razer’s Hydra FAQ says the DLC will be available to anyone who owns the controller and a copy of Portal 2. If you’ve had enough of GLaDOS, the Hydra should also work with a wealth of other PC titles. Razer claims the Hydra is supported by 125 additional games, including big names like Borderlands, Bulletstorm, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Mass Effect.

To refresh your memory, the Hydra is based on Sixense technology that uses a magnetic field to track the controller. The system is precise enough to detect changes in position as small as a single millimeter and changes in orientation of as little as one degree. So that you don’t spend all your time gesticulating wildly, each controller also comes with with a thumbstick, trigger, bumper, and four additional buttons.

Although Razer says the Hydra will be supported by loads of games, I wonder how many of them will play better with the motion controller than they do with more traditional control schemes. I’ll probably still end up buying one, though. Razer has been working closely with Valve, and the number of casual titles on the supported-games list gives me hope that indie developers will be keen to exploit the controller’s true potential.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m really curious to see how these are received and how they play with games.

• glynor

Ack! $140?

I was pretty sold on this thing from your previews, but not at that price (not yet anyway). I’ll look forward to the inevitable review from TR, and probably wait for a cheaper version 2.0 of the product.

• dashbarron

Heh.

I was browsing a store yesterday and came across gaming headsets, mice, and keyboards. A “Blizzard Licensed” headset brought $140 and a mouse brought $100, from Steelseries (both products looked to be of high quality and detail, and otherwise looked fine). I have no doubt that there are other pricier options out there as well, esp from the Razer brand.

While this is a hard lump to swallow it is not surprising. While I wouldn’t personally pay $140 for this, others would if they found it intuative and helpful enough. I’d consider paying $100 for a quality mouse because it will last years, if not decades.

• BobbinThreadbare

You can get a Logitech MX518 for < $50. Which is a nice high quality mouse.

• Ngazi

Razer Abyssus and Intellimouse 1 and 3 track far better for < $50. Non of these mice are going to last a decade, especially not the higher end.

• indeego

I’d really like to see a video of this in actual use, at an actual desk. Let’s put this globe thing in the middle of your desk, is it interfering with KB access? Are you resting your arms on the desk (to avoid fatigue?) Can those lights be turned off to zero?

This actually looks like it would be very cool for driving/similation games. I have less skepticism for this than most other alternative input tech out there.

Review it TR?

• puppetworx

Give your PC the power of a Wii with a Razer Sixense!!!!…………………..

• culprit

I’m really interested in how well this stands up compared to the claims of 6 degrees and accuracy and latency. If it really works as well as claimed, I may be all over this thing.

• jplayer01

Bah, if they’d launched this at the same time as Portal 2, I would have bought the bundle. Now I already have Portal 2 and I’m not willing to shell out an extra 40-50$ on top of the controller for the bundle. I’m waiting for them to announce a standalone version.

• mac_h8r1

In the article:

“You won’t have to pay for the bundle to get the MotionPack DLC, though. Razer’s Hydra FAQ says the DLC will be available to anyone who owns the controller and a copy of Portal 2.”

• indeego

His point is that Portal2 inclusion raises the cost of the controller needlessly.

• ShadowTiger

I feel like they would have sold many more of these if they managed to launch them this week. Well… must suck to be in the department in charge of getting these out in time.

• thesmileman

I remember not too long ago Razer was claiming that the Hydra would be the official Portal 2 recommended controller at launch.

• potatochobit

all I want is a good PC game that is not an FPS

Define good. I consider Magicka to be a good PC game. Steam says I’ve logged almost 60 hours on it.

• StuG

If only that game wasn’t so broken 🙁

• tbone8ty

Plants vs zombies! lol

• funko

no love for RTS?

• potatochobit

I used to play alot of RTS in the past
        I like turned based games I have the armored princess series
        and now they even have pirates vs zombies
        but I would like an adventure game and this razer thing could work well
        and it has to be a new game with fresh ideas, no more HD remakes even though I like them

• KoolAidMan

Starcraft 2

• BobbinThreadbare

This could be really awesome with [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/22200/<]Zeno Clash[/url<]

• NeronetFi