An ultra-slim, Sandy Bridge-based ThinkPad is in the cards

Well well, what have we here? Clearly, Lenovo hasn’t abandoned its hopes of one-upping Apple’s MacBook Air. The folks at Engadget have spotted an unannounced ultra-slim ThinkPad hiding in plain sight on a Swiss e-tailer’s website. Not only is that machine slick and sexy looking, but it features state-of-the-art Sandy Bridge hardware, potentially giving it an edge over the Core 2 Duo-powered Air.

Tell IT Systems, the Swiss e-tailer in question, quotes the following specs for the ThinkPad X1: a 13.3" 1366×768 display with Gorilla Glass (that’s the same coating they put on smartphone displays), a Core i5-2520M processor, 8GB of RAM, a 160GB solid-state drive, integrated 3G broadband, Bluetooth 3.0, and a 38.4-Wh battery rated for five hours of run time. The machine is said to have a thickness of just 0.85" and to tip the scales between 3 and 3.8 lbs (the listing doesn’t mention an exact weight for the configuration on sale).

As you might expect, those guts coupled with the razor-thin design add up to a rather onerous asking price. Tell IT Systems charges 2791.80 Swiss Francs after tax, which works out to, oh, a little over $3,100. Call it a hunch, but I’m expecting the ThinkPad X1 to cost a little less on this side of the pond. The same e-tailer has a ThinkPad X220 on sale for the equivalent of $2,200, but Lenovo’s website lets me slap together a similar config for around $1200.

• ShadowTiger

Its very sad that our society and media are putting so much pressure on these poor notebooks. They are told they are too fat and heavy, that they need to wear fancy gloss when they go outside. They have their full size keyboard replaced with round and feminine chicklet keys… all to attract attention to their body.

We all know that being shallow is bad, that every notebook has an inner beauty, a intelligent processor that craves meaningful tasks. Why are we so caught up with looks? This anorexic model being discussed is far too thin to be healthy. Its no surprise it was caught falling a sleep on the job after only 5 hours. I’m sure many of these notebooks end up in urgent care, with pieces broken and cracked from a very short fall.

In short, I think we need to provide support to the subjugated population of notebooks. Tell your curvy 15 inch notebook that it is sexy and really knows how to start up your OS that way you like. Take it out to dinner and a movie, rekindle that romance you had when you first met. I am sure if you think carefully you will realize that the hot young models you see aren’t mature enough to really satisfy you.

The only way to conquer this disturbing trend in the media is to set good role models. The young notebooks that are still very impressionable will thank you for it.

Have a cookie, I LOL’ed

• Voldenuit

While the X1 has several drawbacks (low resolution, average battery life for an ultraportable, price – with caveats), I’m glad to see that lenovo has not given up on the 13″ ultraportable market (especially after the demise of the X301 with no successor in sight).

I’m expecting lenovo to offer a higher resolution display for the X1 at some point. Possibly even at launch. That’s one thing lenovo does a lot better than Apple – customisability. With Apple, you tend to get get one or two SKUs with limited customisation options tied to bundles and product tiers. Unfortunately, you can end up paying for this customisability with lenovo, in price and time-wise. A friend took 3 months to get her T61p laptop after ordering. Fortunately, I was a lot luckier with my X300 that shipped within a few business days.

I still don’t think I’ll swallow whatever price premium the X1 comes with Stateside. Should I find the need for more computing power than my LV C2D, I’ll probably end up going with an X220 or equivalent.

• xii

Lenovo usually charges double on the European side of the pond. I don’t think you can derive any price from this listing.

While it looks good, the 1366×768 resolution is a joke that’s getting old. Since it’s a Lenovo, probably the screen is pretty crappy anyway. Twice the price of a MacBook Air with that glossy screen? Lenovo doesn’t seem to understand you either make an expensive premium machine or a sturdy but basic business laptop. Lots of their top models seem to fall in between categories these days… Who are they aiming at with this machine? Nobody wants to pay premium for a crappy quality 1366×768 screen and lack of USB3 (like some of their new models) that still looks like a boring business laptop, or pay over 2000 for a watered down, shiny and glossy business laptop with bad battery life. They stand to lose both more demanding individuals (like me) and corporate customers (like my workplace, who switched to another manufacturer a while back).

Manufacturers don’t seem to be capable – or willing – to beat Apple. I guess all those fat cat CEOs have Apple stock. I would definitely buy a laptop with the specs and price of the new MacBook Air from someone other than Apple, but it seems I’ll have to wait a while longer. I hate to admit it, but Apple is definitely doing something right with their laptop line.

• Goty

1366×768 on a 13.3″ screen is not bad. I recently moved from a 1440×900 14″ to a 1366×768 13.4″ screen and it’s not really a big step down. There’s a small amount of screen real estate lost, obviously, but the resolution fits the screen size quite well.

• BobbinThreadbare

I prefer the look of Thinkpads to that of Mac books.

• OneArmedScissor

Still not thin enough. I need it to shatter when I set it down, not merely snap in half.

• ImSpartacus

If the 1366×768 glossy display, chiclet keyboard, and black enter key doesn’t kill this machine,the five hour battery life will.

• grantmeaname

The Macbook Air is 1366*768 and has a chiclet keyboard with a black enter key.

• nagashi

The 11″ air does, but this thinkpad is competing against the 13″, which has a 1440×900 screen, lower weight, MUCH lower cost, longer battery life.

So, Lenovo FAIL basically.

• DancinJack

A 2.13GHz C2D Macbook Air with 4GB of RAM is 1700+. The Thinkpad has a 2.5GHz Sandy Bridge processor, 8GB of RAM, and 3G. I don’t know if we should really be comparing the two other than their form factors. On that front, the 13″ MBA weighs in at 2.9 pounds. I’d say that’s pretty close to this laptop.

If Lenovo “FAIL” here, then Apple does too.

• nagashi

This is an unreleased, unannounced thinkpad. There’s rumored to be a macbook air update by June as well, at which point it will also likely be something comparable to a 2.5gHz SB proc. 2.9lb is close to 3, but not all that close to 3.8. We’ll have to wait and see on that front.

The fact of the matter is that there isn’t a single machine shipping with truly comparable specs to the macbook air for less than apple charges for it. You can do pretty ok (Toshi r705), but you’re still making major compromises (1366×768, blech. No ssd). Both the 11″ and 13″ air continue to be unrivaled values compared to their actual competitors (samsung 9 series, sony z). This Lenovo appears to not change that fact much, if any.

• DancinJack

Those aren’t the same thing. While it is probably true that Apple will update the MBA this year, that is yet to be seen. This laptop is listed and in Lenovo documents. ([url=http://www1.partnerinfo.lenovo.com/us/en/pdf/US_Channel_Update_041311.pdf<]here[/url<]) Setting aside battery life, this Thinkpad is not far from the MBA with respect to the screen. And this Thinkpad crushes what you can get from the MBA right now. You can Mac-ify the facts if you want, but this Thinkpad should be interesting to a lot of folks. To each his own I suppose.

• nagashi

“this Thinkpad is not far from the MBA with respect to the screen”
            Wow, really? A 1366×768 screen from Lenovo (notorious for AWFUL screens) versus a 1440×900 screen from Apple (notorious for excellent screens)?

• DancinJack

The resolution isn’t a huge deal for me. I’m not going to comment on the notoriety of the companies screens. We haven’t even seen this laptop yet.

• ImSpartacus

The resolution and glossy screen are still unacceptable for a Thinkpad.

And the battery life just puts the last stake in the X1’s heart. You can’t have a premium ultraportable with less than 7-8 hours of battery life.

• DancinJack

I’m not going to argue with that. Resolution isn’t as bad as the gloss, to me.

• ImSpartacus

They are both terrible! On a 13.3″ screen, 800 vertical pixels is an absolute minimum. I would like to see 1600×900 on that size (like the MBA13…).

The gloss only takes me over the edge.

I would rather have a TN panel behind regular matte glass if it meant I could have 1600×900 (or even 144×900).

• Ushio01

WAH WAH I must have my 32 vertical pixels WAH.

• mutarasector

Agreed. Plus it still looks gawd-awful ugly black w/that obnoxious logo and red mouse button. I never liked the looks of Thinkpads. Boring and very utilitarian.

• crose

<droooool> .. I think we can safely assume it will be much much cheaper to buy the Thinkpad X1 in the US due to weak USD and (too) strong CHF.

It feels like 2008 all over again, when USD was dirt cheap and I called George W to offer to buy Manhattan but he turned me down. I’ll call Barry and see if he’s more reasonable.