OCZ adds VeloDrive to PCIe SSD lineup

Solid-state drives seem destined to shed their Serial ATA interfaces. The tide is already beginning to turn in enterprise, where PCI Express provides considerably more bandwidth than SATA or SAS links. To cater to that market, OCZ has announced a new member of its growing PCIe SSD family: the VeloDrive.

This low-profile card sports a PCI Express 2.0 x8 interface and no fewer than four SandForce 1565 SSD controllers. The SandForce chips are linked together by a RAID controller, but there’s no mention of whether it uses the same proprietary Virtualized Controller Architecture as OCZ’s Z-Drive R3. OCZ does note that the VeloDrive can be configured with hardware or software RAID stacks, though.

The VeloDrive will be available in 300GB, 600GB, and 1.2TB capacities built on MLC NAND. As one might expect, the drive’s performance specifications are rather impressive. The VeloDrive is said to be capable of hitting maximum read and write speeds of 950 and 1000MB/s, respectively. Take that, 6Gbps SATA.

Update: OCZ has confirmed that the VeloDrive does not use VCA, which is currently being refined on the Z-Drive R3.

• Bensam123

No price listed?

if you have to ask you can’t afford it.

• Vasilyfav

Very true in this case 😛

• Bensam123

I’ve seen the prices on some of the Revos circling the 1k mark. I didn’t think TR needed to mask prices. Just part of informing its reader base more.

• moose17145

Obviously I, along with tons of other readers here on TR, would love to have one of these for their personal desktop (or even laptop to be honest since there is no technical reason why you couldn’t do this same thing on a laptop… run a SSD via the PCI-e interface instead of SATA), but unfortunately for me, I cannot even justify the cost of a “regular” SSD considering how much storage space I can get for my dollar. Sadly I think I will be in mechanical world for a while longer yet…

• Anomymous Gerbil

For boot/programs, forget the cost/GB, and just focus on the fact that you can get a 40-80GB SSD for not much money, that will blow the pants of your HDD. It doesn’t have to be a cutting-edge (top-end / expensive) SSD to make a huge difference in many tasks.

• bdwilcox

What’s with the angled louvers on the card’s backplate?

• d0g_p00p

Looks like venting for case fans to blow air though.

• pragma

Assuming 30k write cycles (enterprise grade MLC) and $6000 price, the 1.2TB velo should be good for about 990 days under maximum write load (420MB/s uncompressible) or $6 per day.

So it’ll last 3 years under torture. Not bad actually. They’d have to increase the size further to get better speeds. Either that or drop the 3 year warranty.

• indeego

[url=http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?82539-Any-Corruption-issues-with-Revo-and-Ibis<]But[/url<] [url=http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?76129-Install-problems-to-Revo-drive-...read-this.<]this[/url<] [url=http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?87711-RevoDrive-120-slow-after-updating-from-1.32.-to-1.33<]is[/url<] [url=http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?87961-Neo668-Revodrive-X2-100GB-too-slow<]OCZ[/url<].

• flip-mode

I am all in favor of PCIe based drives. Smaller cases. Fewer cables. Fewer screws. Faster Speeds. Only down side is the need for more slots.

• OneArmedScissor

Pretty much everything but graphics cards can just go 1x or mini PCIe once PCIe 3.0 is out and about. There’s not much reason to keep stacking these sorts of things up along the brackets at the back of the case. Desktop board makers could cram a squillion of them wherever they fit, as is done with laptops.

If it were set up right, since all CPUs will have integrated graphics and video could be routed through their output on the board, graphics cards may not even need their own connectors soon enough.

• DumbYellowDog

Thats all well and good, but this is still a SATA-based SSD.

[url<]http://www.sandforce.com/userfiles/file/downloads/SandForce_1500ENT_060110.pdf[/url<] All SSD controllers are SATA (or SAS) on one side, flash controller on the other. Hopefully someone develops a true PCIe SSD, because it could be both simpler and faster than SATA-based solutions.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m extremely surprised that hasn’t already been done, but I think part of the issue is that nobody had done server CPUs with integrated PCIe controllers yet, which is really where these things belong.

That will change with Sandy Bridge EN/EX, though, and it appears that they gave it a few extra PCIe lanes just for that purpose.

What I’m more interested in is doing something like that to simplify laptops, though. About the only thing I’m still interested in seeing happen with new PCs is what changes will bring about the removal of southbridges, and thereby “chipsets” altogether. I imagine the removal of SATA would figure in.

• anotherengineer

Are these sata based also?

[url<]http://www.fusionio.com/products/iodriveduo[/url<]

• srg86

What I don’t get about these is are they completely proprietary. What I mean is that SATA is an industry standard, so are these some sort of standard, but just in a different packaging, or are they totally proprietary, relying only on a driver from OCZ?

• khands

SATA has nothing to do with these drives.

• Malphas

Wrong.

• srg86

What I mean is what does this drive look like to an operating system. It mentions option ROM space, so it probably has its own hard disk BIOS so it could me like a promise ATA card that has the same ATA registers but in a different location. Or is completely different to any standard and so won’t work witout a driver? I thinking in terms of alternative OSs.

• khands

That’s a good question, some one will have to get one so we can know for sure.

• DumbYellowDog

Since its based on Sandforce SSD controllers with SATA interfaces, it just looks like a RAID array of SATA drives to the OS.

So OCZ’s innovation here is packaging, this isn’t a true PCIe SSD. That would require an entirely new driver stack for Windows.

• internetsandman

OK I read through this thread to figure out what you were getting at, but I still have one question: how, in anyway, shape or form, do PCIe and RAID qualify as proprietary?

All this is is just a wicked fast four way RAID-0 array of four wicked fast drives that just happen to be using a different interface. It’s still bootable, it can still store your files and apps and whatnot, it’s just doing it through a faster interface

• mikehodges2

Filter down to the mainstream already!!!!

• thesmileman

The price of these versus performance makes them a great value over dedicated enterprise grade raids. I have been using Fusion IO drivers and they exponentially greater reliability and performance than standard enterprise SANs.

• indeego

“I have been using Fusion IO drivers and they exponentially greater reliability and performance than standard enterprise SANs.”

Exponentially, eh? How long have you been using FusioIO to be able to claim such a statement? SANs have been around for 10+ years.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Which enterprise SANs are you using that are so unreliable? What sort of unreliability are you experiencing?

• StuG

If only the price of these wasn’t 100x out of my range.

• indeego

Are you an Enterprise customer that can’t afford this?

• StuG

I wouldn’t wanna use it for Enterprise, just saying I wouldn’t mind it if the price was more sane. 😀

• indeego