Intel demos Ivy Bridge, hints at release schedule

During its tri-gate transistor announcement this morning, Intel gave a live demo of Ivy Bridge, its upcoming successor to Sandy Bridge. The 22-nm “tick” will use tri-gate transistors exclusively, and a separate video has surfaced showing Ivy Bridge CPUs running in three different systems.

The first system is an Ivy Bridge laptop playing a 1080p video. There’s also a web-server demo and a desktop system running iRacing. I believe this is the first time Ivy Bridge has been shown in the wild, and the demo is made even more impressive by the fact that tri-gate transistor tech is far enough along for such a public showing.

During the Q&A portion of its tri-gate press conference, Intel indicated that production Ivy Bridge CPUs are due to arrive late this year or early next. Sandy Bridge was launched at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, and we could see Ivy Bridge make its official debut at next year’s show. There’s more to this next-gen CPU than just fancy transistors, too. Ivy Bridge will feature DirectX 11-class integrated graphics and is rumored to offer PCI Express 3.0 connectivity.

• LoneWolf15

Even with Ivy Bridge, I’m not sure I can justify replacing my Q9650 clocked to 3.6GHz yet.

Then again, I don’t use my desktop nearly as much now. Intel, at least give me a little time to enjoy my Sandy Bridge ThinkPad T420 before erasing the “new technology smell” with IB, eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• novv

Absolutely amazing what can I say ?! Intel marketing department is incredible. So this IB will come out next year and you’ll be able to play online like in the demo. WTF!!! Did someone visit iRacing.com to check what is all about: “Most newer PCs (two to three years old) will operate the iRacing.com system. In the case of older PCs, an upgraded graphics card is normally all that is necessary in order to enable the computer to run iRacing.com.” What can I say more, I’m speechless…

• PixelArmy

I think the point is to show that they put their tri-gate transistors in actual working prototypes [u<]in many form factors[/u<]. Clearly the ability to play a video or run a web server do not require the latest tech either.

• kroker

[quote<]There's more to this next-gen CPU than just fancy transistors, too. Ivy Bridge will feature DirectX 11-class integrated graphics and is rumored to offer PCI Express 3.0 connectivity.[/quote<] So for those of us that are only interested in discrete graphic cards, it's only the fancy transistors then? ๐Ÿ˜€ Anyway, I'm about as excited about this as I was about Sandy Bridge. My Q6600 will suffice until then, I like large performance jumps. Ivy Bridge, Bulldozer, 22nm CPUs, 28nm GPUs, SSDs etc - can't wait!

• Jigar

WOW, that looks exactly like my next CPU. ๐Ÿ˜›

• anotherengineer

Man that tick toc cycle must be a tiring and expensive upgrade route, I mean if someone builds a SB and they wants an IB.

Not even 1 yr later, new mobo, cpu, format……….

• KoolAidMan

Just upgrade when you need to. If you’re happy with game or encoding performance or whatever, no reason to upgrade. If you bump into something that requires an upgrade or you get a new higher res monitor than you’re already using, then it might be time to consider one.

• fantastic

Youtube is just terrible anymore. I can’t watch 10 seconds of low res Youtube without pauses, but Netflix works fine 99% of the time.

• NeelyCam

?? Who’s your provider? Both run fine on mine – no problems with neither Netflix HD nor YouTube at 720P.

• fantastic

Comcast.

Everything is wonderful today. Makes me paranoid that people sometimes react to what I say and write. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• bdwilcox

What’s a nonnometer?

• grantmeaname

about ten yards.

• rogthewookiee

yeah, he really is representing all those scientists well…

• bcronce

Last Year I got a new PSU, this year I got an ATI 6950/6GB-1600mhz/Case. Next year IB. w00t.

I love tax season.

• oldog

Sir,

You obviously do not pay enough in income taxes. Perhaps there is a reason the US is borrowing 6 billion dollars a day to run the country.

• bcronce

Between 401k/Flex Plan/etc, my taxable income is only ~$35k. My bracket is too low for a 2 person house. According to Turbo Tax, my effective tax rate is ~1%. Because I pay in 33% during the year, I get a hefty return, which goes almost entirely to bills.

Unlike most people, I save ~$1k for myself and my wife, and all the rest(~$4.5k) is actually used to pay debt. The rest of the year I live month-by-month, spending ~$4/day(total) on food for myself. I live quite frugally. My power/gas bill is about 1/2 of my previous tenant’s and also about 1/2 compared to my neighbor.

Heck, this next year I’ll have been living in my apt for a year, so I get an extra $1k back from state, so that’ll put me in a negative tax rate.

Gunning for debt free in a few years.. :p

I think me soon-to-be-living debt free helps more than the income tax from my lowly income.. ๐Ÿ™‚
        Get some spare money and crank up my 401k. Hope my wife gets a job soon, I would love to break out of this tax bracket.

I know so many people to skip bills because they “can’t afford”, yet they go out to bars every-other-day and see every movie in the theaters and go out to eat. Those are the people who aren’t paying their “fair share”.

I go out to eat about twice per month, once each paycheck, I spend about $15/month on alcohol, and the last movie I saw in the theatre was ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’.

• tay

Hey man props to you for living within your means. It doesn’t sound too bad, you’re doing all the right things. I do upgrades similarly to you.

• WillBach

I salute you, sir. Paying off debt isn’t easy in this economy.

• oldog

Hmmm… An effective federal tax rate of 1%.

My original statement stands. Perhaps it is time for the US to adopt a VAT tax.

• SomeOtherGeek

I applaud you! Being debt free is a great feeling. Have been myself for about a year and it is nice to have the extra cash for raining days. Hang in there and you’ll be rewarded!

• NeelyCam

I try not to get a tax refund, because if I got one, I was giving the government a free loan during the year.

• grantmeaname

Cool. I don’t have control over what I pay in taxes.

• MadManOriginal

You love giving the government an interest-free loan throughout the year because you lack the discipline to save for yourself? Awesome.

(Wrote this before I saw your post #18 anbd felt like trolling a bit ๐Ÿ˜€ but damn dude, if you are getting a huge refund and DO have that discipline change your withholdings!)

• DancinJack

I’ll probably be getting Ivy for my next computer. The power consumption alone is worth it.

• indeego

How is it worth it? How much do you think you’ll save in battery time or power bills with a process reduction?

• DancinJack

I’ve got an i7 860. I also don’t think i’ll be getting a discrete graphics card. So, enough.

• NeelyCam

Saving the environment is hard to measure in dollars.

• DancinJack

haha +1

It’s not just that though. I don’t care as much about my power bill as I do about the heat and noise coming from my computer. I also want to delve into mATX for my next main computer.

• NeelyCam

Also solid reasons.

If you go with “small is beautiful”, look into mini-ITX. These days, everything fits neatly into a mini-ITX format (no more IDE/floppy or rows and rows of PCI ports..). It’s really a perfect form factor… the only reason why I picked a mATX for my last build was that I couldn’t find an Intel mini-ITX mobo with four DRAM slots

• OneArmedScissor

Then use a laptop…or better yet, off-grid renewable power. Then you can surf the internets on an old server that idles at 1,000w if you so please, and it would be a hell of a lot more friendly to the environment than having an entire new desktop built out of all sorts of nasty things, only to find that it saves 5w.

• NeelyCam

Totally undeserved thumb-down. Fixed.

It’s sort of like buying a Prius to replace your 25MPG Camry.

• ronch

Now this is exactly what I’m talking about when I said Bulldozer has to be really good. Enough of that ‘my Phenom II/Nehalem runs everything fine’ crap. This isn’t simply about what we need, this is war!

• NeelyCam

So cold today your epeen shrunk?

• ronch

Not really. It’s hot here actually. Just really excited about Bulldozer and here comes Ivy Bridge to ruin the parade.

• NeelyCam

It almost seems as if your excitement is a bit biased… If you’re excited about something new, shouldn’t you be excited about Bulldozer [i<]and[/i<] Ivybridge? Competitive pressure will push both companies to work harder making better chips cheaper - it's all good for the consumer.

• ronch

Yes. Actually, I AM excited about Ivy Bridge too, and if I were building a system I’d most likely get SB. Come upgrade time I’ll have to consider both IB and BD. I admit though, that the chip from the underdog gets more cheers because it’s what will determine if this industry gets exciting again or not. Right now it’s a one-horse race, or almost is.

• designerfx

Do these videos actually state what the resolution the screens are actually displaying this at, or this another hilarious moment of “we’re supersampling 1080P at 1366×768”?

• Firestarter

Judging by the size of the icons, it could very well be 1366×768. But it’s not as if IB is going to break a sweat decoding 1080p.

• continuum

My Q6600 badly needs an upgrade– Sandy Bridge is tempting as hell– but man, I’m almost tempted to wait for Ivy Bridge next year and spend this year’s upgrade on bigger harddisks or faster SSDs or something instead. =P

• WillBach

Ah, the eternal conundrum ๐Ÿ™‚

For what itโ€™s worth, I donโ€™t think youโ€™ll go wrong with either Sandy or Ivy Bridge. For the foreseeable future, thereโ€™s going to be a better processor or larger SSD a year away. The Q6600 is better than what I have in my desktop, but if it bothers you, then upgrade. If it doesnโ€™t, wait ๐Ÿ˜‰

• bcronce

But the IB upgrade will be one of the biggest upgrades in a long time. Going from a Core2 to an IB will be like going from a P4 to an i7.

• Scrotos

Ya, I got a Q6600 in my desktop (Dell Inspiron 530) and am “upgrading” to a Q9300 short-term (HP xw4600, swapping stock CPU from C2D 3 GHz to the quad). Got a Dell XPS 8300 for the wife with an i7-2600 in it, that thing is quiet and nicely fast. Maybe one day we’ll put an SSD in there, too.

I’d love to get a new system or hold out hope for Bulldozer, but besides the video card, the Q6600 is fine for most things. Maybe a little “slow” in video and 3D rendering. And I could use more RAM for running VMs, but the CPU? Solid.

If you do go Sandy Bridge, you’ll be pleased and probably use a discrete graphics card anyway which seems to be one of the main improvements in Ivy Bridge.

• PsychicMuffin

Also, it’s tough considering Ivy Bridge chipsets will probably have native USB 3.0, and more than 2 Sata 6Gb. Choices, Choices.

• NeelyCam

In the near term, few rigs benefit from more than two 6GB SATA ports. Also, (again – in the near term), having multiple ‘native’ USB 3.0 ports vs. two ‘non-native’ ones is no more beneficial than having a SandyBridge over a Q6600.

I.e., it’s cool, but not at all necessary.

• Kamisaki

I’m going with the “wait” option, personally. I try to alternate my CPU and GPU upgrades, this year I’m upgrading my 9800GT to something DX11 based, next year will be the perfect time to upgrade my Core 2 Duo E8400 to a quad core Ivy Bridge.

• NeelyCam

If you don’t have an SSD, get one. That’ll give you a better boost than any CPU upgrade.

If you already have an SSD and you’re a hardcore gamer, IB’s IGP advantage over SB is pointless (and it’ll be a while before PCIe 3.0 is really needed). Upgrade now to SB, or wait to see the BD prices.

If you have an SSD and you don’t play 3d games, well, you don’t need to upgrade at all. Save your cash and buy something nice to someone special in your life. Or, consider “downgrading” to something smaller, quieter, more power efficient yet sufficiently fast (Zacate or low-end SB).

I’m all about quiet these days.

• Kamisaki

Interesting. What kind of difference do you see from an SSD in games specifically?

• NeelyCam

I don’t play PC games anymore – maybe someone else can chime in?

I see an overall snappiness with the OS, though. Everything pops up instantly, and any file operations (like navigating through folders) are superfast. It also eliminates the slowness caused by paranoid antivirus softwares. Also I like the fact that it’s noiseless.

I can no longer imagine building a rig without one.

• ReAp3r-G

I recently upgraded to a Yorkfield Q8300 from an old school Conroe E4400 dual core and still rocking a Radeon HD5770. Plenty fast for what I’ll be doing at least in the CPU department. I’m going with the waiting option. In the meantime, I’ll definitely be looking for a graphics card upgrade and perhaps larger storage upgrade as well.

• ShadowTiger

Q6600 here, i’m gonna wait for ivy bridge.

• KoolAidMan

Sandy Bridge would be a [i<]colossal[/i<] upgrade over your CPU, jsut FYI ๐Ÿ˜‰ Even the Nehalem i7 was a giant upgrade over the Core 2 Quads

• continuum

Absolutely agreed. I run an i5-750 at work and for what I do, even that would be a worthwhile upgrade. But at home I’ve already got an X25-M G2 and 8GB with my OC’ed Q6600…

So as tempting as Sandy Bridge is, saving limited funding for more harddisk space might make more sense…

• NeelyCam

Maybe, depending on what you’re doing with it. When I was reinstalling WinXP on that Q6700 desktop, it ended up feeling much faster than I remembered, even though it had a very old 320GB HDD as the boot disk. The only time when it seemed to slow down was when the antivirus software started going through the disk. If it had an SSD, I don’t think I would have noticed a difference between that and the new SB desktop.

So, “colossal” is actually a pretty relative term..

• ronch

How about Bulldozer?

• kamikaziechameleon

I went from the Q6600 to the 1090T that was a monster jump in performance for me. Could only imagine an ivy bridge jump!