Poll: What’s the best first-person shooter weapon?

First-person shooters have defined gaming on the PC. Because FPS titles tend to be about, well, shooting things, the weapons available in each game can have a huge impact on one’s enjoyment of it. These weapons have to sound just right, inflict substantial damage, and put a smile on your face when you pull the trigger. But which first-person, er, shooter is the best? We’ve compiled a list of iconic favorites for your voting pleasure, and you can chime in with your own in the comments below.

In our last poll, we asked what sort of content you’d like to see more of here at TR. Laptops came out on top with 17% of the vote, followed closely by motherboards with 16%, and smart phones with 15%. Tablets and server-class hardware were locked in a two-way tie with 11%, while cases slotted in behind them with 10%. Only 6% of those who voted want to see us tackle more coolers, and just 4% crave more PSU coverage. 10% of the vote fell into the "other" category, with a lot of folks wanting us to tackle monitors.

• timbits

rating the best FPS weapon by the combination of “holy crap this weapon in f’n awesome” after finally acquiring it, and the destruction dealt (relative to the game’s other weapons)… I have to go with the Vorpal Blade from Deus Ex

• Kharnellius

No UT Flak Cannon? Psh.

• Sahrin

What a bunch of children.

1) Chex Quest spoon
    2) RCP-90 from Goldeneye
    3) Laptop Gun from PD
    4) Viper Rocket from Fury3
    5) Medigun from TF2
    Hon. Mention:
    M4A1 from CS

• Dr. Zhivago

Also, the Bacalov Corrector in NOLF was pretty f’ing cool. 😀

• trackerben

NOLF sniper rifles were great as they were the first to have zoom adjustable via mousewheel.

• Dr. Zhivago

I always liked the Canon and the Minigun in Serious Sam FE/SE. All the bigger weapons in those games rocked, actually.

• Nutmeg

Perfect Dark on the N64 (and now 360) had some awesome weapons.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCSW0mPQCAs[/url<] Dual-wielding Cylones on clip discharge was awesome.

• ludi

Surprised the original Quake rocket launcher isn’t doing better here. That thing was very nearly a railgun with explosive projectiles, and had some pretty interesting concussion physics — hence, rocket jumping, and the ability to throw an enemy off by knocking him sideways.

Of course, it’s possible only a shrinking minority of the current TR demographic ever played original Quake. Old skool FTL…

• bdwilcox

I voted for the Quake 1 rocket launcher because the thing was more powerful than the BFG. Then again, I’m an old man who remembers things like games that needed a new executable to offer hardware acceleration…

• Krogoth

Quake I Rocket Launcher wasn’t that great, the Super Nail Gun and Lightning Gun trumped it. I prefer the Doom I/2 Rocket Launcher.

On other hand, there was was this one Quake I mod “Future versus Fantasy”. The one class was the Mage who’s rocket launcher was called “Ken’s instant fireball”. It was the love-child of sniper rifle and Doom I rocket launcher. I bet that you can already imagine the results.

• TO11MTM

Ken’s Instant fireball -was- nice. I remember that mod actually. =)

Of course, if I remember right the Monk had a dual fireball… one instant + one slow one…

• Beomagi

Portal’s gun.

Gravity gun needs an object to kill with unless it’s powered up ala HL2 ep1. Probably the most fun though.

Hmm, blue portal on the sun, spam orange portal at enemy’s feet…

I can definitely see this gun in a “true” shooter. Use portals to drop enemies in acid/flames/joel shumaker movies (or vice versa?!)

• blitzy

omg, so sad to see grav gun leading this… halflife is such an overrated franchise. halflife 1 was good, solid even, but hl2, seriously? people wetting themselves over some slightly gimpy physics gameplay? hl2 was rubbish

• quincunx

I second the cannon from Serious Sam series. ^_^

• Thanato

Kar-98 from COD2 best weapon ever! Once the skill is acquired the honor and prestige will never be forgotten.

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

WAAT? No Q3 railgun?!

That thing was the weapon of choice for anyone playing the Excessive+ mod. One shot, instant kill…. That is… if you were fast enough with the reflex shots to ACTUALLY tag someone. Another big plus was when having multiple people stacked up behind each other when you pulled the trigger, you’d frag every player in the [very]narrow-straight line trajectory of the rail slug.

Game moved so fast, and weapons so powerful, that 50 kill limit rounds could be won in less than 60 seconds! (IIRC, when I was big into it, my personal best was something like 40 seconds, with ~14 players… 😯

But NEVER could play like this: [url<]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D4392915597663174837&ei=EyPVTZy0J4fB0AG61fitDA&usg=AFQjCNFYvE8Yv3A9Kxllyf1LN4CV0Gfjqg[/url<] ^ Those dudes are just stoopid!

• ronch

It has to be the flak cannon and rocket launcher in Unreal Tournament!

• RealPjotr

Counter-Strike Desert Eagle!

Used to run pistols/grenades only Counter-Strike servers and it was the greatest fun.

• Bensam123

Tribes 2 Spinfuzor.

• blitzy

I cant remember what the differences between the various BFGs are other than the Q3 one sucking, but I’m pretty sure Q2 BFG had beams of light that would shoot from the sphere while it was travelling and damage people, then when the sphere explodes it destroys everything within line of sight. Pretty epic.

Bulletstorms chain launcher was not too bad either, wrap a chain of grenades around an enemys head then boot them into other enemys and detonate them. Or use the charge shot to decapitate multiple baddies with the chain

UT Redeemer is kinda lol as well

Actually there have been heaps of really good weapons, I see someone else mentioned the Tribes 2 mortar, which was especially cool since if another player uses the targeting laser it would show you the trajectory to fire on to hit the painted target. Pretty cool

• Ngazi

Pretty sure the USP is the best ace gun there is.

• Hirokuzu

Wow, I pretty much joined the FPS stuff at TF2, and haven’t really played much of FPS outside of the Valve games (bit of CSS, BC2, MW2, but all on friend’s computers/consoles)

I can’t beat the satisfaction of having just thrown a toilet into somebody’s face in HL2DM though.

Portal gun seems like an interesting concept if placed in an fps environment, just that means you can fire around corners 😛

Other than that, SOUND is pretty much the most attractive thing for me, other than being able to spam the left click key and get headshots from recoil (5 kill streak, dual elites, CSS)

• Pan Skrzetuski

No Call of Duty love? COD4 is all I play (until BF3 comes out).

• trackerben

I once did 32 straight snipes in Bog, hardcore pvp, with silenced stock pistol and a frag or two. The kills came in so fast and steadily, I went through 2 entire helo and airstrike cycles without calling in any support. It is ridiculously easy once you discover that perfect pair of grassy hides flanking the opposing team’s axis of advance. It ended with them desperately spamming the general area with frags, thus mine reign endeth …

With ghosters so common nowadays this tactic rarely works anymore. It’s not an exploit so much as a map borking, so some teammates find it uncouth.

• DeadOfKnight

I voted gravity gun but come to think of it Fallout 3 had some pretty badass weapons you could make.

• LiquidSpace

combat knife+C4 in BC2

• FireGryphon

An accompanying poll should be the age of the voter.

Also, no Wolfenstein 3D Chainsaw? Come on…

• FuturePastNow

Wolf3D didn’t have a chainsaw; that’s from Doom.

Wolfenstein 3D did have a knife you could kill dogs with, though.

• highlandr

Anybody played “Railgun Wars” in Q2? 2 platforms with 2 railings and 2 armors – turn on weapons stay, load up 30 bots (recommended is like 4), and fire away.

I had to set the kill count at like 150 to play for more than 5 minutes. The best part was hearing someone using the pistol, because that meant they had lived long enough to run out of slugs.

My second vote would be the crowbar from HL1. No better way to take out headcrabs, or other players in HLDM.

• michael_d

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series hands down. Weapons variety, ammo variety, ballistics, A.I. albeit not perfect still a cut above every other shooter.

F.E.A.R. largely due to its pioneering slow motion mechanic.

I started liking original Crysis with Tactical-Expansion mod, plus waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-themed Crysis Mod.

• dalisam

Yes, thank you. I am also keeping an eye out for Cryzone, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. crysis mod.

• cygnus1

FYI, the topic is FPS weapons, not FPS games in case you misunderstood.

• dalisam

Oh, sorry. Then my favorite weapons from the stalker series are IMI Desert Eagle, Armsel Striker, FN F2000, Gauss gun/EM1 Rifle,
        Dragunov Sniper Rifle.

• Zoomer

>>>F.E.A.R. largely due to its pioneering slow motion mechanic.
      Deus Ex?

• jamsbong

I think HL2’s gravity device is really creative and unsurprisingly the most popular.

I’ve voted the railgun as it is my fav gun of all time. I like the way it leaves a trail so that you can see where the shot came from.

• JustAnEngineer

A pair of Clan UAC20s or UAC10s in MW2.

• albundy

I was so thinking of putting that down, but alas, MW is no fps…sort of.

• Krogoth

ACs were meant for the board game. They aren’t they great in the MW games (too big, short range, not enough ammo). Large ER lasers and ER PPCS are king in the MW games.

• trackerben

I always thought moving between hides with a silenced G1 and UAV jammer to mask your firing position was king in modern warfare. Streak-sniping with silenced pistol in hardcore mode comes second because that was too easy in certain rainy maps.

• JustAnEngineer

I’ll agree that cannons weren’t good for the large-map missions, but for the arena duels in GBL, I’d equip a pair of cUAC20s and heavy frontal armor. When the duel started, I’d run across the arena toward my opponent at full speed, dodging missiles. Once I was within the UAC20’s short range, I’d put the crosshairs on the enemy’s cockpit and squeeze both triggers. Boom!

• albundy

i unfortunately had to choose other.

how dare you not mention the best of the best…for the Serious gamers. the infamous mini-gun wasn’t even listed, yet it could clear out an entire room of baddies in a split second while you enjoy the fruit of your gore! i mean, who doesn’t enjoy the crystal clear clanking sound of each shell bouncing off the ground, while your mini-gun jackhammers away! He who wields a mini-gun, fears not. unlike the doom bfg, when fired, all the enemies pretty much disappear. Remember kids, double your gun, double your fun!

• Peldor

I have read many a game review that hinges on whether or not the shotgun or shotgun-like weapon has satisfactory sound and fury. I therefore conclude the shotgun is the best fps weapon.

Many fun choices and alternates (UT shock rifle combo, Serious Sam cannon, etc) though.

The cannon, from Serious Sam.
    It was a railgun, BFG and grenade launcher all rolled into one.

• dpaus

4x 30mm Mk 108 rapid-fire cannons on the nose of a Me262

EDIT: with unlimited ammo 🙂

• matic

Also, the AGM-65 Maverick on Falcon 4.0 used in air-to-air mode. I remember having shot down a Mig-23 who was turning under my nose, not to mention countless Su-25s. Circa 1999, when I had spare time and youth to throw away…

• Prestige Worldwide

FEAR Combat G2A2 Assault Rifle. Mastering its recoil was an art no new FPS games seem to understand.

• RickyTick

Loved the Plasmids in Bioshock 1 & 2, especially the bee swarm.

• bdwilcox

There was a whole host of fun weapons from the LucasArts game “Armed and Dangerous”. They had the sticky bomb where the target would run around screaming when it stuck to them, the spicy Vindaloo rocket launcher, the Guy Fawkes bomb that turned enemies into traitors who would attack their fellow soldiers, the topsy-turvy weapon that would turn the world upside down and then there was [b<]the best[/b<]: the land-shark gun would fire a land shark that bursts out of the ground and swallows enemies as they scream and flail in its jaws. Much fun was had by all. 🙂

• drenpot

BF2

Five years spent or wasted…….

• NeelyCam

Spent.

• EndlessWaves

A bit of an odd poll, you’ve left out more of the really cool weapons.

RTCW and ET spring to mind immediately, although I’d be hard pressed to choose between the M1 Garand (Ba-dam Ba-dam Ba-dam Ba-dam PING!) and the MG42 (BRRRRRRRRRRR… hisssssssssss).

Then there’s battlefield 1942, whether it’s Desert Combat’s Hind/Apache choppers, Battlegroup42’s Stuka with Tank Killer cannons or just the plain old Vanilla Tiger you can’t beat a good vehicle when the handguns get too heavy to carry.

And space games deserve an honourable mention, whether it’s the anti-matter missile of I-war 2 (for when you need to atomise every last speck of space dust within 5km), the Khaak lasers of X2 (die you evil purple triangles) or the flail barrage missile of terran conflict (Muhahahaha!)

• willyolio

TF2 flamethrower. There’s a good reason so many people still manage to have fun with little more than w+m1.

• slaimus

The UT2003/4 shield gun was simple but revolutionary: being able to defend in a FPS dramatically changed the way the matches play out. It makes FPS games take a closer step towards fighting games, where you cannot just spam offense.

Plus, it can be used to break your fall or as a melee weapon.

• Krogoth

Shield Gun was a marginally improved Impact Hammer (UT99).

Its personal shield wasn’t really that great, it was only good at deflecting energy bolts of the Shock Rifle and Link Gun.

• slaimus

It does take a lot of skill and luck to use effectively against shock combos and rockets, but it is very effective for lightning, mini, shock primary, flak primary, and even bio.

• merkill

Duke nukem – Shrink gun , its just fun to hunt them and try to step on them.
    Duke nukem – Freeze gun , freezing and smashing is fun too 🙂

• takeasneededforpain

And not a soul mentioned the stakegun/grenade launcher from Painkiller? There’s nothing more satisfying than driving a telephone pole through a demon, pinning it to the wall in a smear of digital entrails…

• Lianna

I voted gravity gun, of course 🙂 but my favourite must be the portal gun… whether they both classify as shooter weapons or not, that’s another question entirely.

I’d add laser sword from first System Shock and of course light sabers from all Star Wars FP-RPGs.

Edit/update:
    After a moment of thinking, any attack form that has (almost or actually) infinite fire – so any kick in Mirror’s Edge, crowbar and pistol (because it could be used as a sniper gun) in HL2, chain/hook in Bloodrayne, pistols in Tomb Raider (I had beautiful Matrox high-res version of the first original game and I’ve done everything with pistols only).

• Krogoth

Lightning Gun from Quake I/Quake III is the best DM weapon.

Scan-hit, pin-point accuracy, incredible DPS, continuous fire. The only drawback was ammo consumption. Quad Damage + Lightning Gun = instant Monster kills……

UT99’s Pulse Rifle’s alt fire is almost as good, but its limited range kills it. It does have the benefit of having steady ammo consumption. Its Link gun incarnation in UT2003/2004’s alt fire only does a fraction of damage, unless you got one or two teammates feeding you.

Minigun in its various forms deserves a honorable mention, but trend of having inaccuracy at long range and ammo consumption prevents it from having top spot. The Shotgun in various forms gets similar merits, but has the additional drawback from having a slow rate of fire.

Most versatile weapon, UT99’s shock rifle. It’s primary fire is a steady-firing, scan-hit beam that usually kills players in 2 or 3 hits. It’s alt-fire is a energy ball that behaves like a rocket with less splash damage. Shock Rifle’s combo technique takes the alt-fire mode to 11, it becomes effectively a mini-Redeemer. The combo’s only drawback is ammo consumption. Shock Rifle’s future incarnations got nerfed in terms of damage and area of effect with the alt-fire/combo blast.

Most overrated weapon, Sniper rifles/Railgun in all forms. Sure that they are typically scan-hit or at least close to it. They are typically one-shot and one-kill with a headshot. Their big caveat its their rate of fire, it kills their potential as an effective DM weapon. A single miss can mean the difference between life and death. They are more suitable for CTF type modes where you have larger areas and places where you can safety “camp”.

• plasticplate

Completely agree with u. Shock rifle is the best wep i have ever used in any game. Good for long range taping, effective at close range with the cores and with decent skill, combos are just plain dominating. I HATE the mini/stinger tho. Just takes the fun out of ut.

• David

Spinfusor

• VinnyC

Let’s not forget about the awesome weapons in the first Turok for N64. I don’t remember their names, but there were some really sweet ones. One that freezes the enemy, and a few moments later they explode, one that shoots some sort of beam that fills the screen with white as everything explodes, and that one that shoots the red plasma nuke thing which destroys everything. Heck, even the rocket launcher was awesome.

Oh, and the Cerebral Bore is always nice too (Turok 2 i think…)

• elnad2000

Logged in just to add that the last gun in Turok was the best ever. Almost like a nuke exploding. So powerful. Had a lot of fun in God Mode in that game.

• Kaleid

Especially since corpses could still bounce and scream. lool.

• Kaleid

Celebral bore was great. I always hoped for it to be a bit glitchy and sometimes enter where the sun doesn’t shine.

• cynan

Undoubtedly “Hand of God” from ROTT

[i<]Edit:[/i<] What happened to the reboot they were making of ROTT anyway? Shouldn't that be out soon?

• burntham77

I cannot believe there was no mention of anything from Duke Nukem on there.

Anyway, I picked the Doom 2 super shotgun because of how loud that thing was, especially cranked through a good stereo system.

• kamikaziechameleon

Playing bad company 2 as the engineer with the tracer dart, RPG, double barrel pump shotgun with slug ammo.

• kamikaziechameleon

Only feature missing from Battlefield games is gore we need some giblets please or atleast giant blod splatters like CS used to have for the AWP headshot.

• trackerben

What battlefield 2 needs are claymores with remote triggered mode. Would be nice if these could also be planted on vehicles to sweep the sides of pesky infantry.

• Nutmeg

So like, C4 packs?

• trackerben

Nutmeg, C4s don’t trigger on proximity. What I’d like to see is claymore with a secondary remote trigger on demand

• MrJP

Needs a follow-up poll: “Quake or UT?”

• 5150

UT without a doubt.

• Ardrid

UT, though I will say I loved Quake’s SP.

• sircharles32

WTF: No Light Saber?!

• jensend

No kidding. Jedi Outcast was the bomb diggety.

• NeelyCam

Tribes mortar.

• Ardrid

Gotta do you one better: Disc Launcher.

• NeelyCam

Disc is great – I thought mortar was just more fun when you’re pounding on enemy’s lair.

How about this: the heat-seeking missile in R.O.T.T. ?

• Ardrid

Damn, RotT brings back some serious memories! I wonder if I can find it on Steam/GoG…

• Bensam123

Spinfuzor you dolt!

• Ardrid

It never formally received that name until Tribes 2. In Tribes it was primarily known as just the Disc Launcher. You could also call it the Stormhammer if you’d like 🙂

• Beomagi

shazbot!

• bigfootape

Almost as fun as the Shocklance.

• jalex3

the precision rifle in red faction 1

• calvindog717

def. the gravity gun.I almost voted for the Physgun from Garry’s mod though.

• I.S.T.

As for my vote, I went Other. My favorite gun in an FPS is the AA-12 from Killing Floor. Pure, unadulterated carnage in automatic shotgun form(Though, it’s best to set it to semi-auto).

• Meadows

I picked the shotgun and rocket launcher, because I simply adore the feeling of impact in shotguns (for example, I love the shotgun in Bulletstorm, no matter how unrealistic it is), and as for Quake-style rockets, it does require tons of practice and finesse, but those rockets can make you into a god.

• Mumrik

I’m disgusted that only 7% picked the Quake rocket launcher 😀

• khands

If it weren’t for the BFG 9000 calling me I would have.

• moshpit

Any and every game that includes an M249 SAW. No other weapon satisfies as much, at least for me.

• maltonfolk

Postal 2 and the flaming, well…. let’s call it zipper hose discharge.

• lilbuddhaman

Every weapon from Postal 2 was awesome.

• Ushio01

Er never played any of them and I so like doing polls too 🙁

• Mumrik

Curious – is that because you’re too young, refuse to play on the PC or just don’t like FPSs?
      Quite a few historic games up there that have lead to where we are today both in the genre and in gaming in general.

• calvindog717

Not even HL2?

• matic

That’s no problem. It’s worst having played some of the games listed and actually don’t remember almost any weapon…

• Aphasia

Action Quake 2 – Sawed off double shotgun and silent slippers… silent, and totally awesome. Next best, Q2 railgun or BFBC2 – Gol

• Scrotos

I don’t know who you are or what name you played under, but you, sir or madam, are a person of esquisite taste!

Ah, good ol’ sawed-off: [url<]http://www.rq3.com/docs/pics/weapons/hc_plain.jpg[/url<]

• Hawkins

I should totally install AQ2 or RQ3… I haven’t played than in a decade!

• Scrotos

No, what you should do is come back and code! BTW, for the pics on the latest news: [url<]http://www.rq3.com/[/url<] ...I tried to find your 30 foot tall MP5/10 but I didn't have any screenshots of that. 🙁

• Hawkins

Yeah, I was looking at the site after I posted that. RQ3’s really progressed, and lasted a hell of a long time.

I am not going to step on and ruin the glory that the RQ3 team has achieved. They had a vision and drive, and I didn’t… I was more content with, well, playing AQ2 🙂 But RQ3 certainly was great! I think I had a hard time getting into it because the early maps didn’t have time to go through that Darwinian process that AQ2 maps had. I miss the community though; it died a slow death when the fear domain was sold, never to recover 🙁

I’m not sure what 30 foot dall MP5/10 you’re talking about though. My favorite claim to RQ3 fame was an early (read, first test build) bug when I didn’t quite understand the server-client way Q3 worked, and made it so one person zooming in sniper mode would cause everyone else on the map to! Oops!

p.s. Clearly you recognize me…. what name would I know you by?

• Aphasia

Nowdays I play games under the name Covenant-R, but back then I always used Damocles… and in Action Quake 2, [UZI]Damocles since a few schoolmates and me had a small clan.

Oh, and I totally missed that RQ3 ever existed…

• Hawkins

I was more of a fan of bando + knives… or if I was in a Samurai kind of mood, slippers and a knife for slashing. Kumanru was awesome for that because of the tight areas. Wider areas, if I was slashing, I’d go with a vest to try to get closer.

But yes, there was something quite satisfying about sending someone across Urban with the hand cannon.

We can also go with secondary mods: Knives AQ2, where all weapons shot knives. Oh god, the MP5 shot out a stream of instant death, and the hand cannon shooting knives was like something out of a horror movie!

And the weapon that pissed off the most people: my ultra-awesome suicide script! 🙂

– [ST7]{PhD}MP*Lt.Hawkins

• Scrotos

You mean this:

[url<]http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/15dopes/knife-1.jpg[/url<] [url<]http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/15dopes/knife-2.jpg[/url<] [url<]http://screenshots.rq3.com/monk/15dopes/knife-3.jpg[/url<]

• Hawkins

Yes, I mean EXACTLY that!!

• Aphasia

Bando + knifes was also a great combo, especially being able to throw them over the roof edges when people tried to hide. Or mp5-reddot, kevlar+sniper, etc, etc. But sneaking up on people and launching them was my favorite.

Sorry for going all nostalgic on this one…

Loved kumanru, still have my dream round on that level for the sawed off shotgun. Bunny jumping around it with the shotgun was horror for everybody else. One single round I was untouchable… the rest of my team got all chewed up, only me left, came running inside the hall with the bells, took out one, jumped down on the inside, took down another comming in from the courtyard, went into the courtyard, got shot in the legs… jumping around with a sawed off shotgun in the yard, banding, with 3 people with m4 and mp5 shooting at me… and i survided, dont ask me how… then took out one on the yard that came down after his ammo ran out.. then up the stairs ro the right, took out the guy in the opening, went inside turned around to the left, out to the yard jumping down behind the guy following me inside… won the round. The bad thing, 3 or 4 of the guys in the team I took out was from one of the most successful clans around here and people that you just dont kill unpunished…

Of course, the next three rounds people was just out to get me no matter the cost so…

• Hawkins

Ah, that overly saturated yellow map know as Kumanru. Loved it. I also loved the back way into the basement – you could activate the elevator from up top, which lots of basement campers didn’t realize… they’d be camping, looking out over the water with their M4 or whatever, and I’d just pad up behind them and launch ’em. Also useful when chasing someone and they fall down into the water, to cut them off with a face full of buckshot 🙂

• anotherengineer

OTHER

I can’t remember the game, I think it was Turok 2 on N64??

The weapon – the CEREBRAL BORE, just the sound alone sent fear down your spine.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEKLa373SIw[/url<] Sweet weapon. Edit - laptop gun - perfect dark xray sniper - perfect dark pretty much all the weapons in perfect dark

• Firestarter

DOOM II SSG, or alternatively: DOOM Plasmagun. The satisfaction of the first time that you blow away three imps with one shot is something alright.

• cwditter

Since when was Gears of War a FPS?

• Sargent Duck

Does Fallout 3 count as a FPS? Because I’d think the M.I.R.V. would be the most satisfying.

As it is, I voted the gravity gun. Espicially when it becomes super and you can grab bad guys, throw them up in the air and try to catch them before the splat on the ground. What other gun allows you to play with dead bad-guys?

• bthylafh

Meh. I never thought the MIRV was worth much – ammo’s too rare, and what are you really going to do with all that firepower?

My thing was building up a character with 100% sneak, Silent Running, and the Chinese stealth armor, then arm with the dart gun and go hunting reavers (fackin’ [i<]reavers[/i<], man!) in the dark. Great fun when they can't find you even after taking like twenty hits.

• Sargent Duck

Poll never asked what gun was the most pratical : )

But I agree with your points. I never actually even used the Fat Boy during the campaign (I’d use it then reload from a save just before I was about to engage).

• TaBoVilla

all weapons on the list are ok, but honestly the gravity gun is a game changer

• Meadows

Nobody cares, that wasn’t the question.

• TaBoVilla

the only thing better than the gravity gun would be the gravity gun + portal gun + a copy of HL3

• Krogoth

Gravity Gun was gimmicky weapon in its standard form. The Ravenholm part of HL2 was just a showcase for its use, but after that it grew pretty old. The temporary “Dark Energy” upgrade made it overpowered which was needed to deal with infinite number of Combine Elites. It is also the reason why HL2’s end battle was so damm anti-climatic.

• Meadows

[quote<]The Ravenloft part of HL2[/quote<] Have you even played HL2?

• Krogoth

Typos are SERIOUS BUSINESS!

• Meadows

While we’re on topic, “damm” is not a word.

• Krogoth

[url<]http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/grammarian.htm[/url<]

• Meadows

Invalid retort.

• FuturePastNow

Quake 2 railgun, or the Dark Forces Concussion Rifle.

• kvndoom

Yeah I can’t really pinpoint a “favorite,” but I loved those two! Glad to find someone who remembers the Stouker Concussion Rifle from Dark Forces. Do you remember the one level where you ran in circles around an Imperial ship and the Stormtroopers kept respawning? That was SO much fun with the Concussion Rifle!

I think a “favorite” has to be which weapon gave the biggest, loudest “OMFG” out of your mouth the first time you used it… which weapon you used cheat codes to get because you just HAD to be able to play through the whole game with it. Right now I can’t really decide.

• FuturePastNow

Those Stormtroopers never had a chance.

Some other fun weapons not in the poll…
        Duke Nukem’s pipe bombs
        the Halo fuel rod gun
        Doom’s chainsaw
        Doom’s plasma gun
        Half-Life crowbar

• Malphas

Instagib shock rifle from UT99, the gas and matches from Postal 2.

• PenGun

I’ve used nearly all of them. The Doom2 Super Shotty. The Rocket Launcher from Quake. The Quake2 Railgun etc etc.

The finest weapon I’ve used is Stalker’s G 36, GP 37 in the game. A joy to use, very accurate, handles very well and the delicate reload ani is just perfect after you finish off your foe.

• odizzido

As sweet at the doom 2 super shotgun is, I had to vote other because unreal 1’s flak cannon is better.

• StuG

I just evened the ground between the Doom BFG 9000 (84 Votes, 20%) and my vote, the HL2 Gravity Gun (84 Votes 20%). COM’ON GRAVITY GUN!

• NeronetFi

Gravity Gun with a saw blade….nuff said 🙂

• StuG

If only. Though, we have taken the lead!

• NeronetFi

Better then the saw blade though, can of paint 🙂 paint the walls, head crabs…..combine soldiers 🙂

• Palek

Gravity gun with a radiator – excellent shield against pretty much anything, even gunships!

• ssidbroadcast

Well, it’s not a first-person shooter, but the Blunderbuss from American McGee’s [i<]Alice[/i<] game was roflcopter-crazy powerful and awesome.

• PRIME1

While maybe not the best. Flamethrowers sure can be fun. TF2 and Enemy Territory come to mind. Actually in enemy territory the grenade launcher was endless fun once you got the curve right or bounced it off a wall.

• swaaye

Flak Cannon or the Shock Rifle / ASMD.

• Rectal Prolapse

I love my Shock Rifle.

• yogibbear

Mainly newer one’s just throwing them out there (obviously the older ones win based on bonus nostalgia points always):

Darkest of Days – Henry Rifle
    Farcry 2 – Dart Rifle
    VTM:B – Severed Arm
    Quake 3 Arena – Rocket Launcher
    CSS – AK47
    Half-life series – Crowbar
    Fallout 3 – Fatman / Lincoln’s Repeater / Plasma Rifle (Android Quest One)
    Metro 2033 – Helsing
    TF2 – Ubersaw
    CODMW1 – P90
    STALKER:SoC – GP37
    Crysis – SCAR
    Bioshock – Pistol

• thesmileman
      • bthylafh

Spot the n00b who never played the original Doom. 😛

• dashbarron

I’m pretty content with a lightsaber. Either Outcast or Battlefront. You really can’t screw up a lightsaber.

• Fighthouse

The ‘head’ from Shadow Warrior. It has different firing modes depending on which hole you put your fingers in!

• Buzzard44

I always wanted to use that! I only bought the shareware version of Shadow Warrior, so I only got the first four or five levels though, and never got to use it.

• Forge

Call of Duty 2 – FG42

Tied with UT99 Sniper Rifle, same reasons for win:

Pinpoint accuracy at all times, plus a moderate scope for when you need to really reach out and touch someone.

Explosives, nukes, etc? Pansy junk! Need CROSSHAIRS on ENEMY when the gibs fly!

Q2/Q3 railgun was almost as good, but no proper scope and fewer long-range opportunities for use in most maps. Nothing used to make me happier than a nice session in DM-Bathroom4 in UT99, with a full bag of sniper ammo. Headshot! Headshot! Headshot! Pew pew! Run and gun!

• mcnabney

I loved Bathroom4 and Bathroom extreme. Sniper rifle was good, but the zoom, Instagib shock rifle was even better.

• WestleyTDPR

Er, the porkulator is seriously missing from the list

• bcronce

I was going to say Doom Chainsaw… Pinkie looked funny eating one.

• paulsz28

Voted for BFG. The meaning of the acronym alone puts it on top.

Original HL crowbar?

Halo 1 pistol is certainly up there. The dang thing had a scope (well, it could zoom), and it’s a pistol! Really, Halo 1 just had wicked weapons – pistol, rocket launcher, THE TANK!, combat rifle was always fun. The energy sword in Halo 2 is almost like a cheat weapon.

Turok bow and arrow?

Not FPS, but the “Devil’s Bow” or whatever it was called in Fable 1 (the one that required you sacrifice 3 people at midnight at the dark temple) was very satisfying to use.

Golden Gun from Golden-Eye N64?

Not quite FPS, but the portal gun from Portal was a novel concept.

• thermistor

BFG, the acronym that spawned a vid card company. Something about a single shot that would vaporize an entire room was very satisfying.

Gotta say I loved the sniper rifle in Far Cry.

The most viscerally satisfying weapon for me recently is one of the machine guns from BFBC2. The sound is not a rat-a-tat-tat, but almost a howling noise when used. Think I’m gonna go home tonight, turn up the speakers to 11 and mow down some bots with it.

• Buzzard44

As soon as I saw the title of the poll, I immediately thought “most definitely the BFG.”

• bthylafh

I voted Doom SSG, but I leaned more heavily on the regular shotgun.

• GFC

Flac Cannon. Unreal Tournament (original).

• WildNelson

OMG, yes. Best video game weapon ever.

• Ardrid

Mmm, yes, have to third that one. I voted for the Portal Gun (especially the upgraded one), but the Flak Cannon is easily one of my favorite weapons of all time.

• bthylafh

Oh yeah, the flak cannon was fantastic. I was a regular flak monkey.

• ChronoReverse

Flak Monkey reporting in!

• siberx

Best. Weapon. Ever.

Nothing pissed me off more than finally realising what was wrong with UT3’s almost-right Flak Cannon after the piece of junk from 2k3/2k4 though. In UT3, Epic saw fit to alter the gun’s alternate fire firing path to shoot a projectile upwards some 30-50 degrees or so when pointing straight forwards – this offset *decreases* as you point upwards though, until it’s firing straight out of the barrel when you’re pointing straight up.

The end result is that your flak balls fire at different angles from the crosshair based on how much you’re tilting your camera up and down; impossible to track for somebody used to the (much more sensible) original. Have fun running around staring at the floor if you want to fire anything straight forwards.

• bcronce

Still got my original Unreal disc on my spindle along with my beta copy of win2000. I remember seeing that it supported glide and A3D.. I was stoked as I had a Voodoo2 12MB and an A3D 1.0 card.

• l33t-g4m3r

my favs: quake 3 rl, rg, UT flak
      A good fps weapon has to be powerful, but not op, and well balanced.

• bhtooefr

Gotta agree with that. Sure, the Redeemer is ridiculously powerful, but it’s usually hard to get, and even harder to use.

The flak cannon, they’re freaking everywhere, so grab one, and start fragging – whether you’re at close or medium range.

While on the topic of UT99 weapons, though, I actually like the biorifle. Good for setting traps, at least.

• Meadows

Flac stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec.

• ShadowEyez

These are some older games, but fun. I voted for the BFG though I also like the redeemer, sniper rifle, and dukes shrink gun. And most rocket launchers.

• sweatshopking

Red Faction Rocket launcher

• bdwilcox

“Dark, so dark. Miner? You’re a miner?”

• I.S.T.

Gears of War 1 has an FPS mode?

• Mystic-G

My thoughts exactly.

• gbcrush

My first thought was how much I liked the Q1 lightning gun…but then again, I was “that guy” who would grab the lightning gun, the quad damage, then jump in the water and set it off when 3 or 4 opponents decided to give chase. 🙂

However, the items listed here reminded me of one other “classic FPS” weapon that I arguably loved more. The Redeemer. Just the name itself was enough to bring a smile to my lips, to say nothing of making a frantic run with the flag in UT99, launching a round back the way you came, and hearing the announcer …er…announce a multi-kill inflicted upon your pursuers.

To boot, there was the (still at the time) innovative “guide it in mode”. Before loitering predator/reaper UAVs became a common thought in our society, user-guided redeemers were circling the towers on Facing Worlds, ready to drop nuclear support on enemy pursuers as a teammate made their getaway.

• Silus

Other, Serious Sam rotating rocket launcher. Best, most full filling weapon of any FPS IMO.

As someone already mentioned, Wolfenstein 2009 also had some awesome weapons. And let’s not forget the nail machine gun from Quake 1, which isn’t even on the poll…….

• indeego

Cannon in SS1. It is just so absurd.

• Pettytheft

Gotta be BFG or the Halo 1 pistol. Both are short on rounds but they rocked.

• bdwilcox

How could you leave out the Blood voodoo doll and hairspray with match?

• sircharles32

I have to agree, the hairspray and match was pretty fun.

Watching the cultists burst into flames screaming, then exploding…….awesome.

• bdwilcox

“It burns! It burns! AaaaAAaahhhhhhhh!” – Pure comedy.

• Krogoth

Voodoo doll = silent, rapid firing, always hitting, assault rifle.

• jcw122

Wolfenstein (2009) had some pretty sick guns in it.

• trackerben

At the end of a single long and winding underground sewer, you stumble into a conference hall full of Doom baddies who start to chase you down, you can’t run or hide. So you desperately whip out your BFG 9000 and instantly vaporize every last one of them. There has been nothing else as exulting, before or since.

• Dposcorp

I went with the UT Redeemer, but I always thought that the UT 2003/2004 rocket launcher was awesome because it was so versatile.

( [url<]http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Rocket_Launcher)[/url<] Primary Fire Fires a single rocket. Secondary Fire Fires three rockets in a horizontal line, and, by pressing primary fire while loading, can shoot up to three rockets in a tight spiral. With the Rocket Launcher equipped, hovering the crosshairs over another player for a brief amount of time will cause the Rocket Launcher to "lock on." While locked on to a player, rockets fired will curve slightly towards that player. However, this lock-on attack can usually be easily avoided. The ammo could also be lobbed like grenades.

• flip-mode

I bump thee.

• plasticplate

Finally someone who makes sense. I agree that rocket launcher is really cool. Thats my third fave wep in ut. I personally prefer the shock rifle though. Primary- Shock Tape. Secondary-Shock Core. And if u r a lil skilled, U can shoot the core with tape for extra damage (the combo). Best all round wep, i think. If im out of shock and sniper, i switch to rox. But nice to see some ut fans out there. BTW, does any of u play ut3?

• matic

I will follow your path: a vote for the Redeemer but the rocket launcher in my heart!

• Kharnellius

While I agree UT’s rocket launcher rocked, I have to disagree on the version….The UT one was far more versatile with the grenade option. Man that thing was fun lobbing 5 nades down a narrow hallway! 🙂

• DancinJack

I hope AWP doesn’t win out of sheer volume of votes for CS. That game is not that cool.

• bdwilcox

I think this poll shows how old the reader-base here is getting. Most of the computer pros I work with wouldn’t even know any of these games that came before Halo or Gears of War.

• Corrado

Quake 2 Rail Gun was the pinnacle of FPS weapons if you ask me. Its been downhill since then. Although the DN3D shrink ray was pretty fun too.

• rhema83

Quake Rocket Launcher was one of the most fun (and a little overpowered) weapons. DN3D had some really entertaining ones too, I agree the shrink ray (and the subsequent giving the mini-monster the boot) is a classic.

• glynor

UT (original) Sniper Rifle FTW!

• kroker

My favorite weapon by far is the UT 99’s Enhanced Shock Rifle in Instagib!

• OneArmedScissor

That’s a glaring omission from this poll. I can’t think of anything else off hand that made a game so much fun.

• glynor

I agree. Instagib was so amazing.

• stdRaichu

UT had some of the most awesome weapons ever seen in a FPS. Loved the sniper rifle, shock rifle and especially running up point blank with the flak cannon.

Sad to see so little love for the redeemer. Who else remembers the hilarious Strangelove mod?

• bhtooefr

There have been several versions of that Strangelove mod, too.

(I’ve got one installed that replaces the Enforcer with the Yellow Jacket, a weapon with a high rate of fire, but very weak bullets, because an Enforcer could bring down a Strangelove pretty easily. Also it has fuel, and can support having two people ride the same Strangelove – useful for carrying your backup into a flag capture. Hop on a SLV, fly over the defenses, aim for the flag, then at the last second pull up and jump off the missile. Grab the flag, turn around, hop on another SLV, and fly back.)

• ShadowTiger

I love this weapon. The “headshot!” sound byte will never get old!

• PRIME1

Other: Goldeneye N64 -Golden Gun

We always played multiplayer on “license to kill” mode which is 1-shot. Kind of took away the Golden Gun’s usefulness. So we played with power weapons. Rocket launchers, super-duper automatic weapons, etc.

• PRIME1

Yeah that would take the fun out of the golden gun. Whenever I had it, I would yell out “golden gun” when I one shotted people.

• Forge

License to kill + Paintball + RPC90 = FRENZY!

• 5150

No love for the Klobb?

• ssidbroadcast

He said “best” not “worst”.

• BobbinThreadbare

It was the best for trolling your friends. When you got a kill with that thing you could gloat for hours.