Millions of eyes cross as YouTube adds 3D Vision support

If you have an Nvidia 3D Vision-capable setup and would like to see such classics as "Charlie bit me" or the double-rainbow dude in stereoscopic 3D, today is your lucky day. The folks at YouTube, Nvidia, and Mozilla have conspired to make 3D videos possible over YouTube via the Firefox 4 browser. You’ll need to have a number of things in order to take advantage of the full experience, including the proper glasses and emitter, display, video card, GPU drivers, web browser, web site, video source, and HTML 5 video mode, but inside of that narrow valley lies a wonderland of two-eyed madness.

Or something like that.

To check out whether your system is properly equipped, hit this page on Nvidia’s 3D Vision site. If everything’s in place, you can select your form of stereoscopy for YouTube videos here. Once that’s done, slide on those funny glasses and head to Nvidia’s showcase page to see a host of 3D videos. Personally, I just watched Captain Jack Sparrow make a droll comment while standing out against a flat background, thanks to some cheap red-blue glasses I had on hand.

And now I can’t seq sraifht.

Anyhow. 3D videos are a nice perk, obviously, and adding this sort of infrastructure is no doubt important for a product of this type. Still, I maintain that 3D games are the best way to experience stereoscopic displays, because the user can adjust the depth dynamically. Most Hollywood movies look like cardboard cutout books, while Left 4 Dead with the depth cranked has a much truer sense of depth.

• Palek

Somewhat on topic:

[url<]http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/05/new-3d-vision-wired-glasses-only-99/[/url<] Anybody see what's wrong with this picture? Imagine having an intense 3D-gaming session, pausing to jump up and run out to the toilet, forgetting to take off your 3D glasses, and *snap* you now have wireless 3D vision glasses.

• anubis44

Looks like nvidia laid an egg with 3D. AMD went the right direction with eyefinity, which is a real bonus for gamers. 3D on the other hand is a nasty, nauseating experience that only a fraction of people can tolerate for a limited amount of time before wanting to throw up. I can parachute out of an airplane and ride roller coasters all day long, but I felt like vomiting after 2 hours of Avatar in 3D.

What a stupid mistake for nvidia to make wasting all those resources on such a flash-in-the-pan fad for 14 year old boys. As a gamer who likes FPS like Call of Duty and Battlefield Bad Company II, as well as many RTS games, for me, going AMD for my next video card is a no-brainer, as I can drive 3 monitors in eyefinity with one 6950 (2Gb) card for ~$260, whereas I’d have to buy two GTX560 cards (~$500 – and still only have 1Gb video ram) and replace my motherboard (which only supports crossfire, not SLI – ~$160 minimum). If I want to double the performance, I can just toss in another ~$260 Radeon 6950 2Gb card.

Nvidia’s really screwing up.

• Farting Bob

[quote<]3D on the other hand is a nasty, nauseating experience that only a fraction of people can tolerate for a limited amount of time before wanting to throw up.[/quote<] I presume by "only a fraction" you must mean "quite a big fraction" because like it or not, a hell of alot of people have seen 3D films recently and liked them. The "it makes my eyes bleed and my soul escape" comments about 3D are by the vocal minority. Most people do not get the bad side-effects. Having said that, 3D anywhere outside a cinema has never been popular because you look like an idiot with the glasses on, its difficult to have multiple people viewing it at once and 3D only blows you away on giant screens. 15" laptops that have it are just a goddamn gimmick and a waste of money. But if you have yourself a TV bigger than yourself then its quite good.

• Sargent Duck

I’m not agreeing/disagreeing with what you said, but just throwing my hat into the ring, just because. I actually prefer watching movies in 2D as the colors are more vibrant. Perhaps it was the movie, but I found 3D glasses dulled everything down. Taking the glasses off the colors were much brighter and more enjoyable (of course, seeing 2 of everything didn’t help).

• Bensam123

Yup!

• Bensam123

No, I think you’re confusing marketing and big corporation hype with people actually being interested in a product. The ONLY reason it has come so far, so fast, is because hollywood is shoving it down everyones throats. They’re looking for a new thing to milk and they found it.

3D in general is a very disorienting experience. All you have to do is pay attention to a object, ANY object, that spins completely 360. It will lose it’s depth and two different intervals exactly opposite of each other. It’s similar to getting hit in the face with a sledge hammer as far as depth perception is concerned, shatters the illusion, and causes a very nauseating experience. You’re just one of quite a few people that seems to be immune to their surroundings.

• travbrad

While eyefinity is cool, it’s still not very common. A lot of people don’t even have 2 monitors, let alone 3. I agree it’s dumb that Nvidia cards don’t have the capability to use 3 displays, but it’s not an issue for the majority of users (just like the lack of 3D/PhysX/good linux drivers aren’t an issue for most users).

AMD’s cards seem to be a slightly better value right now in performance/$ though, and that’s a much more compelling reason to buy them. 🙂

I would actually find eyefinity more compelling if we were still using 4:3 monitors. I just don’t have the room on my 6′ wide desk for three 16:9/16:10 monitors. The only way I could make them fit would be putting my speakers behind the monitors, which would totally ruin the sound.

• Bensam123

Waiting for this technology to die off again… :l

• SomeOtherGeek

I set up everything, then couldn’t “seq sraifht” and threw the glasses out and disabled the 3D thingy. Ahh, feel better now. But thanks for the heads up.

• wingless

Even though the poll here said most of us have ATI/AMD GPUs, this is a neat reason to consider and Nvidia card as our next GPU. 3D displays still need to catch up, but Nvidia has done really well with their 3D Vision program. AMD needs to step it up.

(Can Fusion APUs do AMD’s 3D?)

• Sargent Duck

This sounds like the perfect reason to NOT go Nvidia. Where as ATI gives us things we can actually use and increase productivity (eye-finity) as well as increase coolness (even the most un-geek appreciates a good multi-monitor set-up), 3D is just … well…pointless.

• pogsnet
        • Palek

[quote<]But I still go to no glasses. That's if I go 3D, I prefer 2D so not to confuse my brain. The 3D in this stuffs still look not realistic and might damage your brain in the future.[/quote<] Wow, so ripe with opportunities... Must resist...

• potatochobit

how do i encode my home videos and MP3 slideshows in 3D?

• Palek

As if sitting through the slideshows of relatives wasn’t painful enough already…

• Dposcorp

“And now I can’t seq sraifht”

Nice 🙂

In other words, the goggles, they do nothing?

• indeego

[quote<]You'll need to have a number of things in order to take advantage of the full experience, including the proper glasses and emitter, display, video card, GPU drivers, web browser, web site, video source, and HTML 5 video mode, but inside of that narrow valley lies a wonderland of two-eyed madness.[/quote<] Came for the snark, was not disappointed.

• CasbahBoy

Awaiting the incoming rash of suicides that will result from those first unprepared souls to read YouTube comments in three terrifying dimensions.

• RobbyBob

This.

• Anvil

Oh god I’m cringing already.

• yogibbear

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

And God said, “Let there be 3D to use this light for extremely important and functional purposes” So God made 3D. And it was so. God called the 3D “stunning and with deeper blacks” And there was much rejoice, and there was much rubbing of eyes—the second day.