Asus shows ultra-thin notebook, Eee PC at Computex

Computex — At a press conference this afternoon in Taipei, Taiwan, Asus lifted the lid on several new notebooks, including an incredibly sexy UX Series ultraportable that measures just 17 mm at its thickest point. The system is encased in an aluminum chassis with a mix of brushed and "spun" finishes that add some nice texture to the overall aesthetic.

Despite its supermodel proportions, the UX Series will be available with Sandy Bridge CPUs that reach into Core i7 territory. 6Gbps solid-state drives are also on the menu, as is USB 3.0 connectivity and up to seven hours of battery life. The whole thing weighs just 1.1 kg (2.4 lbs) and looks to have a screen no larger than 13". Asus didn’t offer much in the way of additional details, but you can clearly see that the system has a spacious keyboard and an absolutely massive touchpad. Let’s hope it’s not too expensive.

If you’re in the market for a bargain, you might be interested in the Eee PC X101. This next-gen netbook will start at $199 and pack an Atom N435 processor alongside a 10.1" screen. The base configuration will come with the MeeGo Linux distribution, but a presumably more expensive model will be available with Windows 7. Like the UX Series, this latest Eee PC looks very thin and light. The X101 tips the scales at just under a kilogram (2.1 lbs) and is less than 18 mm thick.

Asus’ partnership with high-end audio firm Bang and Olufsen continues with the introduction of a new N Series of "mainstream" notebooks featuring the same SonicMaster sound technology built into the pricey NX90 laptop that debuted at CES last year. This time around, Asus and B&O designer David Lewis have added a subwoofer to the mix. Details on the new N series are otherwise scarce, but it looks like we could be in for much more reasonable pricing than with the UX90, which currently starts at $1,700.

• kamikaziechameleon

The aluminum body looks good.

• jackbomb

Those are incredibly sexy Asses.

• Sam125

Man those are some awesome notebooks. People in the know love Asus notebooks but man I wish they could gussy up their brand and sell them as Windows notebooks people can actually be somewhat excited about.

• ssidbroadcast

What’s up with that “spot” on the trackpad of the UX notebook? Lighting?

Edit: Dudes, why would I get negative votes for this? -___-

• floodo1

looks like wannabe macbooks 🙁

• mutarasector

Really? Now that you mention it, the UX series has aluminum keys with a dark display bezel just like a Macbook Air. Oh, wait…

• End User

Yup:

[url<]http://goo.gl/jL1Wf[/url<] [url<]http://goo.gl/GbpCs[/url<] [url<]http://goo.gl/c12Fm[/url<]

• jalex3

well they look nice…

• Sunburn74

Sweet looking laptop, love the massive trackpad. I don’t care if its matte or TN. Just ditch the SSD so I can put my own in. Or heavily subsidize the SSD.

• ImSpartacus

If the SSD is stock, you better bet it’s an mSATA SSD. You won’t break any land speed records with those, but they are good enough.

• paulWTAMU

htat looks like it may be awesome, but I’m 99% sure it’s out of my price range 🙁 I wish I had $$

• dpaus

Please, please tell me the UX Series comes with some decent AMD graphics, including DisplayPort, HDMI and VGA out, and the ability to drive them all – plus the built-in panel – simultaneously. I know, that’s a lot to ask for space-wise on such a small frame. I guess I could just use a USB 3.0 video adaptor, if someone would just come out with one (as in, ‘actually available for immediate purchase’)

• esterhasz

I really don’t see how they can put dedicated graphics and a (LV) i7 into that chassis. It cannot be done. I even wonder how they will be able to cool the i7 without intense fan action – the MBA gets really, really loud when working hard…

• dpaus

You could well be right, but a guy can [i<]hope[/i<], no? 🙂 Also, I should have made it clearer that when I said 'decent AMD graphics' I meant 'for business purposes', not 'for gaming'.

• mutarasector

I agree, too bad it doesn’t have an AMD graphics option, but then maybe we’ll see a Llano variant down the road?

re: USB 3.0 video adapter

I don’t know what GPU it’s based on, but there is the Sunix model.

[url<]http://www.slashgear.com/sunix-vga2788-usb-3-0-to-hdmi-adapter-supports-full-hd-31143693/.[/url<]