Corsair rolls out a pair of new cases priced at $99, $139

After introducing a trio of premium cases over the course of the past couple of years—Obsidian Series 800D, Graphite Series 600T, and Obsidian Series 650D—Corsair has now set its sights on lower price points. Enter the company’s Carbide Series 400R and 500R, which will become available next month for only $99 and $139, respectively.

Both enclosures feature easy side-panel access, tool-free drive bays, support for 240-mm dual radiators, and cable management systems similar to that of Corsair’s pricier offerings. Geoff, who’s on the scene at Computex, tells me the side panels "bulge" outward to leave more room for stray cables. Other perks include native 2.5" drive support (for SSDs) and USB 3.0 connectivity.

On top of the aforementioned features, the $99 Carbide Series 400R (pictured above) has plentiful cooling potential thanks to, in Corsair’s words, "three fans, with a total of four 120mm fan mounts and six 120mm/140mm mounts." The enclosure supports graphics cards as long as 12.4" (which I believe covers even behemoths like the GeForce GTX 590 and Radeon HD 6990, at least with their reference coolers).

The $139 500R, meanwhile, features removable hard-drive cages, a "multi-channel fan controller," and a 200-mm fan on its mesh-clad left panel. Because the hard-drive cage adjacent to the top expansion slots can be removed, the 500R also supports graphics card lengths of up to 17.8".

$139 isn’t a huge step down from the Graphite Series 600T, which is currently available for $159.99 (or $149.99 after a mail-in rebate). $99 is new territory for sure, though, and it could make the 400R a worthy contender for some of our lower-priced system guide builds. Check out the image gallery below for more shots of the 400R.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Review these two cases and you can finally get a free cookie…once you complete the survey from Subway.

• Welch

Uhhhhhh *Looks around nervously*.

Is it bad if you complete a survey from Subway while your still at Subway with your cell phone so that you can get a free cookie?

• StashTheVampede

Looking for a smaller with zero optical bays and a near equal mix of 3.5″ and 2.5″ bays. My next rig should have up to 3x HDDs (2x SSD) and nothing optical.

• Welch

Whats wrong with these offerings then, lots smaller than the previous Corsair offerings? The mesh front that can be the 5.25″ don’t look like crap, just don’t put a optical drive in them. They also have all of those 3.5″ removable mounts. I have hooked up 3 Corsair 600T that have the same removable drive bays and you just squeeze plastic tabs on each side of the drive carriage and pull out. On it, there is the normal 3.5″ mounting holes AND 2.5″, so you don’t need any additional tools or anything. Its the most seamless design I’ve encountered while building any system thus far.

• Spotpuff

I wish manufacturers would include more HDD bays and less 5.25″ bays. No one I know uses more than 1 optical drive (if even 1) and not a lot of people are sticking VFDs on their front bays anymore.

Hard drives on the other hand you can never have too many of…

Also loving my HAF 922 and wish more companies would just use 20cm fans.

• jalex3

i have. a fan controller 2 ODD, an will be needing another for water cooling.

as for huge fans… maybe im the only one but i like the range in 120/140 and the better pressure. its not like you cant get really quiet and good cfm

im sure 6 3tb drive would be enough storage for you.. and alteast you can use them in 5 1/4 bays

• bdwilcox

Call me skeptical, but I’m still rockin’ out with my [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161<]CoolerMaster Eite 335[/url<] case that was on sale at MicroCenter for $25. Does the job for me.

• albundy

too much wasted space at the top, otherwise a good case. a bit pricey though.

• bimmerlovere39

The 400R looks like the unholy union of an Antec One Hundred (Front/top), Cooler Master Storm Scout (Side Panels), and Fractal Design R3 (Interior).

I’m sure it’s a nice case, but I’m not so psyched about the looks, and I like them less the longer I look at it. And I’m just flat-out not a fan of the 500R.

I really wish they had just given the 600T/650D the option to put standard 120x25mm fans up front. If they had, I probably would have ended up with a 600T SE instead of a P183 V3. Ah well, their loss.

• holophrastic

These cases all seem to vary in functionality, but why are they still butt-ugly? I’m not looking for the wood-grain, all-metal, or airbrushed cases. Just something with a design that isn’t based on a slab or a box. (And no, not one based on seventeen boxes either.)

So why haven’t desktop cases evolved the way that car bodies have?

• tanker27

I have the 800D and personally I think its a work of art. I love it. I actually made room on my desk to display it at desk height rather than stick it on the floor.

The cable management system of these enclosures are top notch. They clearly thought out everything when it comes to cable management. Even providing round holes for those that want to delve into a water cooling solution.

I knew that when I spent a chunk of change for my 800D that it would may vary well be for life.

• TheEmrys

Function > Form. Remember, we are dealing with standardized sizes and formats…. ATX, 2.5″, 3.5″, and 5.15″ form factors are set. So is PCI-e/PCI. Same with PSU’s.

Besides, how many cases are sitting on a turn-table in the middle of the room to be admired? Its a box that’s supposed to sit next to a wall or under a desk.

As for your car analogy, remember that the case manufacturers do not design anything but the exterior. Everything internal is dictated.

• Skrying

We’ve seen some pretty radical design decisions with standard formats. Take Silverstone completely rotating the motherboard in their new high end cases. This has allowed them to put their special fans on the bottom and achieve amazing temperature levels at low noise levels. But besides that even less radical design decisions such as cable routing spaces, detachable hard drive racks, or PSU location can be done to varying degrees of success.

Though larger it’s the exterior decisions made by Corsair that hurt the looks of these two cases for me. The bump on the side panels, while likely down to converse width, are rather ugly. The 500R then has that white strip that goes into the solid white panel that is hideous. Allow of that was by choice and even just going flat black would have looked better. Also the 400R has the raised bezel and fan areas which are a big no no in my book. Make them flush with the top and you’d have a simple but professional looking case.