Microsoft demos Windows 8’s new interface

Late yesterday, Microsoft lifted the veil off Windows 8, previewing a new user interface designed to bridge the gap between conventional PCs and touch-enabled devices like tablets. What does it look like? A whole lot like Windows Phone 7, as it turns out. The familiar live tiles are there, as is the Metro design language and touch-optimized interface. Behold:

The new start screen is where everything goes down. All apps are represented by tiles with dynamically updated content. Microsoft clearly aims to make its new OS touch-friendly, with large buttons having become the norm and apps taking up the whole screen. However, the company says you can use the tile interface with a keyboard and mouse, and Windows 8 also lets you load up the familiar, Windows 7-style desktop and Explorer file manager, so legacy applications will still be usable side-by-side with new ones.

Interestingly, the video also reveals that developers will be able to code up Windows 8 apps using only HTML5 and JavaScript. That’s going to blur distinction between local software and web apps for sure.

Microsoft disclosed further details about Windows 8 during its Computex preview event. You can check out Engadget’s live coverage here. Microsoft demonstrated a tablet and a “skinny laptop” based on Nvidia’s Kal-El chip, and it talked about an “always on, always connected” mode that will allow ARM-powered Windows 8 tablets to wake up from sleep instantly.

In a way, Windows 8’s new UI reminds me of the Windows Media Center overlay—essentially a specialized GUI layered atop the regular Windows desktop. It looks like Windows 8 will put the touch-friendly UI front and center, though. That certainly bodes well for tablets and touch-capable laptops, but I’m curious about the implications for us desktop users. Will windowed multitasking be slowly phased out?

• Bombadil

This reminds me of my Tandy 1000RL. Tile-based UI is at least as old as DeskMate. [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeskMate[/url<]

• calvindog717

I’m really not sure where Microsoft is going with this, I don’t think I want the traditional desktop to take second place behind this “start” menu, I bet I’m not the only one. There has been no mention of how a gaming UI will fit into it, which also worries me.

I hope they know what they’re doing.

• l33t-g4m3r

They do know what they’re doing, that’s the problem. Microsoft is deliberately dumbing down the OS.

• Fighterpilot

Damn,if only the engineers at Microsoft had the brains to consult the TR front page geniuses when writing the code for a brand new,world wide OS,,,how could they go wrong then…..

• danny e.

the engineers don’t make these crappy decisions.. it’s the product managers / designers / marketing.

• LiquidSpace

pfff WEBOS 4.0 gonna pimp this bitch’ ass hard

• danny e.

lame. sometimes i just want to punch designers / marketing people in the face.
    if I wanted a OS UI designed for a two year old, I’d buy a Mac with money from my kidney sale.

• KoolAidMan

Apple wouldn’t dare make something so ridiculous looking.

I upgraded from XP and Vista for very legit reasons, and I see no reason to upgrade from Windows 7 at the moment. I’ll be going to Lion for sure on my Mac. I dunno, maybe MS will release more information that appeals to me, but a ribbon interface for Explorer and IE (which I’ll never use anyway) along with all of the other Metro BS ain’t gonna do it.

• l33t-g4m3r

Gotta feel for the Chinese kid, besides being taken advantage of, he now has to sell the other kidney to purchase “APPs”.

• Galvnze

This is crap. Why would I pay $300 for a nice monitor, only to put my fingerprints all over it? That’s why we have smartphones and tablets. Also, I really hate how half of the next menu sticks over on the side. I’m not OCD, but good god, hide that crap or something. Where is the aesthetic appeal???

And for the love of all mankind, its too soon for Windows 8. TOO SOON.

• ShadowTiger

I only care about speed and bloat. If they increase speed and reduce bloat, which is necessary to compete in the tablet market, then they have a winner. Oh yeah… don’t forget battery life!

I’m never going to use a tablet so I will probably disable all the new features, I just hope I get some carry-over benefits.

• ApockofFork

The UI looks good. Maybe its just for tabelts, we’ll have to wait and see how it interacts with normal windows. What concerns me is that they’re creating another standard for how to write windows applications. They expect developers to use javascript and html 5 to write apps. Nothing on windows is written that way right now. Nothing on windows phone is written that way. I don’t understand why they are fragmenting their developer base so much. They have lots of good tools and method for creating windows applications that also allow for many more advanced things. They are unnecesarily limiting themselves and at the same time making things more difficult. Are they trying to hint that windows is really just going to be chromeOS where everything is a webpage?

There is a still a lot of unknowns but that one line to me was biggest question mark in the whole demo.

• l33t-g4m3r

You hit the nail on the head. This is the beginning of the cloud OS. Soon you will not own your OS or software, there will only be the cloud.

• Kurotetsu

[quote=”ApockofFork”<]They expect developers to use javascript and html 5 to write apps.[/quote<] No, the article only says that developers have the option of doing so if they wish. .NET will still be Microsoft's standard for applications.

• puppetworx

Man, HP must really be feeling the heat now.

• TEAMSWITCHER

Windows 8 is nothing but a quick and dirty ARM port of the OS, with a touch UI veneer recycled from Zune/Kin/WP7 (pick one). Did anyone here actually think they were gonna re-write the entire OS for low power and touch input. Demo’s are nice to look at, but I’ll wait for actual product reviews before I invest emotionally. I suggest all you win fan boys do the same, lest you get bummed.

• bthylafh

Get a hobby, fanboy.

• moog

Yes we did rewrite for low power and touch.

• Vrock

XP FOREVER!!!!!!!1111

😉

• shank15217

XP 64-Bit FOREVER!!! 😀

• Krogoth

Nice trolling attempt. 😉

XP/2000 are already dated in a number of ways.

NT 5.x kenrel had a very good run, but you need newer software in order to take full advantage of today’s hardware.

• Meadows

Nice trolling attempt.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t think you understand what trolling is

• CheetoPet

Microsoft Bob lives again!!!!!

• swaaye

Heh I suppose it is. It is probably going to prove somewhat mismatched to the desktop computer. But obviously this sort of interface has proven itself on small touch devices where is serves to provide real functionality benefits.

• Fragnificent

I have used this briefly (Developer Preview) and I can say a few things:

– It’s clean, very seamless, neatly designed OS.
    – It’s goddamn fast (think SSD fast)
    – It’s pretty
    – I’d love it as my phone/tablet OS, not my desktop OS.
    – You aren’t gonna be using this in an office anytime soon, it’s useless for business work.
    – KB/Mouse navi would be kind of retarded here, please give us an eye-tracker, and it would be cool. I don’t wanna have to move my arms around in front of my face to just use my computer.
    – It will probably fail, if only because its not useful for business. They realllly need to make sure it has a Windows 7 mode where you can disable the tablet UI. This part of the DP I used was broken…so I can’t comment.

• ClickClick5

What was the quote from last year? “The next version of windows will be the riskiest move Microsoft has ever made?”…or something like that.

And Frag, your right. I can’t see people in an office environment who have been using the “normal” windows UI and even DOS in some occasions to suddenly be forced to use this tile system. As for the old farts, this will cause panic and distress. For younger users, they will cling to XP like the orthodox Win98 fanatics, and for the three and four year olds who are about to use a computer, windows 8 will be no problem.

AS for me…I’ll stay with 7 until I can be sure my games and such work with this flawlessly. I like new stuff. The UI wont bother me at all.

Come on people! For those who are complaining AND who voted for Obama, remember this: “Change”.

• Xenolith

You missed the point that the classic Start menu with taskbar and desktop icons will still be an option. Enteriprise/business will likely make use of this option and make this the default when they do their migration. So I don’t see the new UI being a show-stopper.

• TREE

It’s good to see that they’re still keeping the “classic desktop” as an option on Windows 8, however as is the case for most gamers or heavy PC users we don’t really need nor want the flashy UI. It brings with it unnecessary memory usage and processing overhead, especially if we rarely use it. There is now also the factor that tablets tend to have a rather limited amount of CPU memory, so do they really need to have the option for a “classic desktop”?

In case anyone is wondering why I brought up performance and memory usage as an issue, I just want to remind you that one of the big failures of Vista was that it had a ridiculous amount of resource usage going on when compared to that of XP. For me and a lot of desktop users that was a major issue, even with good hardware.

I hate to say it, but this OS is dumbest thing I have ever seen. The analogy “Jack of all trades, but the master of none” comes to mind here and I think this is an indication that Microsoft just don’t get it. Also they probably never will, its ivory tower over there at Redmond.

• OneArmedScissor

The people who “don’t get it,” oddly enough, seem to be the so called “enthusiasts” who are supposed to be the ones who keep up with technology. I haven’t seen a single person here thinking even one year out in the future, when phones will be just as capable as lower end laptops. What you know of tablets that are currently just toys is irrelevant.

Every PC will soon have a touch screen, mouse, and keyboard support. Some of them will just be a phone with a dock. This is just around the corner, and all it takes is the software to support it.

What is MS supposed to do? Put three different OSs on your phone that you have to reboot every time you plug it into something else? What is left to do with the traditional desktop OS? They effectively completed it with Windows XP. It’s time to move on.

• FuturePastNow

You may think only “enthusiasts” won’t get it, but as enthusiasts, we know that next year we’ll be the ones getting calls from family members asking us to turn turn this new interface the hell off on their new computers.

• TREE

I’m not disputing that PC’s or “computing devices” will have various forms of input capability. And despite bringing it up, I am also not disputing the capability of mobile device hardware within a years time.

What I am disputing here is that you can’t just slap on an interface for a device that is tuned to a specific task. For instance you don’t put an Xbox controller in an airplane and expect to fly with the same percision and control as you would with traditional flight interfaces. The PC is somewhat similar in this analogy, where the mobile landscape has been transformed as a result of increases in processing capability and thus portability, the workstation and server has not and can not.
        If you look at mobile devices; phones, MP3 players, and laptops. You will see each one served a particular purpose and the reason for this was not software but hardware. To have each device integrated into one was just not possible. But now it is, thanks to increases in processor capability. You can now have only your phone on your person and send the one off email that you might have carried you laptop for. You can listen to the MP3s that you might have carried your MP3 player for. That is the convenience and revolution of the [i<]mobile[/i<] device. But there is a keyword mentioned here and that is [i<]mobile[/i<]. The PC is not the same device. In object oriented programming we have a rule for inheritance, the child class should only inherit from a parent if it [b<]"is a"[/b<] derivative form of its parent. In other words is a PC a mobile device? Or is a mobile device a PC? I think you will find the answer is no to both, despite some similarities such as CPU, GPU etc. The PC sits at a desk, its screen is large and should be, for the safety of your eyes, an arms length or more away from you face. Most users do not want to reach out to that screen and touch it in order to do something trivial like change a window or select an icon. Nor do they want to have to flick through side scrolling windows. The PCs best use is in streamlined use, something Microsoft seems to have forgotten. Count how many clicks it takes to get to your advanced network settings in Windows Vista compared to that of XP. These kind things only get worse on fancy, needless, UIs. I think what people really want in the computing landscape is seamless integration, not the jack of all trades for an operating system. When I connect my smartphone to my PC or Mac, I don't want to have to install drivers or software suites like Samsung Kies or Itunes just to be able to interact with my portable device. Nor do I want to have use proprietary connectors. Seamless integration should mean hassle free transfer between specialised devices with minimal work involved. This is what Apple are currently trying achieve, all be it with a walled garden approach, and so far from the looks of things they will have little true competition in future. With Microsoft heading in the "non-specialised" software direction I can see a lot of PC users suffering needlessly with the hassle of a bloated UI and the needless dumbing down of control over the OSs internal systems. The PC is a high performance work or gaming oriented device not a touch flashy touch frenzy mobile device. Its purpose is prolonged efficiency and productivity, not five minute spur of the moment consumption and use.

• BobbinThreadbare

This is a very well thought out and insightful post. +1

• moog

Win8 will be the fastest and power efficient OS. Redefine “bloat”.

• TREE

BobbinThreadbare, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my posts. Thank you.

moog, you should have read [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat<]this[/url<] before commenting.

• d0g_p00p

It looks great for laptop/tablet use but not for desktop use. I don’t want to be touching my monitor to access apps and navigate the OS.

I see where MS is going with this as I have said before MS is really pushing Windows 8 for smartphones & smaller tablets (7″ screens and below) It’s one of the main reasons why Win8 will run native on ARM. You will have your cellphone running a full copy of Win8 come home and dock it to use it as a main computer. Moving forward I can see Win8 having some type of x86 virt tech so you can run both ARM and x86 apps without issue. I cannot remember which company is doing it but they have a dual board with a ARM computer embedded on the motherboard. There is also that full ARM computer that replaces a 2.5″ HDD and using the bay to attach to the host computer.

It’s pretty interesting to see how much ARM has grown in just the last year. Apple, nVidia and MS are both thinking of ARM for future products and investing pretty heavily into it. It will be interesting for sure to see where ARM is in the coming years. I don’t know just my take on the whole thing.

• l33t-g4m3r

This is crap. Stop slowly turning up the heat and just boil the frog already. MS clearly has been moving away from a usable OS since Vista, and this is the icing on the cake. I will not be buying this.
    What the hell is this? Is Microsoft trying to turn the OS into a cloud computing platform? This is beyond dumbing down the OS, it’s retarded! Can’t say I wasn’t expecting it, but they’ve gone beyond my expectations here.
    PS. Any time you hear “APPS” that means they have a monopoly on programs, like Apple. Say goodbye to open source, as MS will probably require certificates and all sorts of drm to run code.

• kamikaziechameleon

I flipped at first. Then I thought well this is a great touch iteration of windows with most of that functionality right. Then after hearing it will still support the classic windows experience via a different layout for productivity setups I was relieved. I’m really excited to see what comes of this effort. And FYI win7 was great and xp took 2 service packs to even be comparable to win 2000.

• l33t-g4m3r

[quote<]it will still support the classic windows experience[/quote<] No it won't, or at least not for long, and you shouldn't be relieved because you're being scammed. This is a transitional OS, just like Vista transitioned out of the classic GUI for win7. Windows 9 will not have any "classic windows experience". The OS is being dumbed down one step at a time.

• OneArmedScissor

“Windows 9” won’t be out until probably 2017, and if there’s no “classic Windows experience,” it’s because there won’t be a “classic desktop experience” to be had from PCs by that time.

• Firestarter

[quote<]Technology changes. Desktops are being deprecated because about the only purpose they serve anymore is temporarily acting as extremely inefficient video game consoles. The end.[/quote<] Yeah that's right: By 2017, business worldwide will conduct their business using nothing but iPad 5's!

• OneArmedScissor

Or laptops…like they’ve already done for all eternity, and which can easily double as tablets, or be powered by your phone. Gee, I wonder why MS didn’t make a separate touch interface OS…

• Firestarter

What are you saying man, laptops are PCs, like desktops. Nothing like today’s ARM tablets at all. Laptops cannot double as tablets, or be powered by a phone. Not any laptop that anyone would use for productive work that is.

How you arrive from “business use laptops as well!” to “screw PCs, low-power touchbased devices are the future” baffles me.

Maybe you should try and make your living using an iPad for the next month? You go without touching an x86 device for a month while earning a decent salary and report back with your findings, maybe then you’ll convince pessimists like me.

• albundy

LoL, true dat! Proves OneArmedScissor has never been in the workforce.

• OneArmedScissor

So the touch interface was supposed to just be Windows XP? Ok.

• joselillo_25

what corporation is going to buy this for their workers?

• PixelArmy

[quote<]Windows 8 also lets you load up the familiar, Windows 7-style desktop and Explorer file manager[/quote<]

• calvindog717

I want to see that its easily accessible, because that’s where I’m going the second I boot up.

On a desktop/laptop, i could’nt care less for weather and news apps

• sschaem

windows8 will most likely power tens of million of corporate tablet devices.
      And this doesn’t look any less corporate then iOS Chiclet icon launcher…

Use a custom corporate them witth the demo above and I bet all business man will have iOS or W8 tablet in their briefcase.
      Go to a meeting, and plug the tablet to a project to run their clasic powerpoint slides.
      Use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and thats it, go onto a clasic windows desktop and run execl, work and powerpoint for last minute slide edits.

After seeing this, iOS look pretty lame.

• jstern

I like it. And the requirements are less than that of Windows 7.

I’m sure the touch interface is for tablets with Windows 8, and for regular non touch screen computers, it will be more like Windows 7.

• Firestarter

As long as they supply eyeball tracking software so I don’t even have to touch anything, I’m game! Imagine the possibilities, everything you ever did at your desktop, but now with 2 free hands!

I too need two free hands when I’m “working” at my computer.

• Trident Troll

My idea of a desktop PC:
    [url<]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1157/desktop1p.jpg[/url<] Microsoft's idea of a desktop PC: [url<]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6245/desktop2r.jpg[/url<]

• Farting Bob

Oh Microsoft, you are the king of Trolls.

First of all, this is a phone/tablet GUI, it doesnt belong on a desktop by default. Also, i want to thump the guy for talking about ‘apps’ continously. Its a god damn program, they’ve been programs since the 1940’s, can we please not follow Apple in renaming them?

• Deanjo

The raw source is a program, the actual running code is an application. When you run Word, solitaire, firefox, that doesn’t mean you are programming and it doesn’t mean you are programmer.

• Jigar

Fail

• Firestarter

Right, that’s why we have a folder called ‘Application files’ right? Look it up, a computer application is a computer program, a computer program CAN BE an computer application.

‘Apps’ is just Apple’s way of saying ‘Lookie! You can actually do something more or less useful with our $1000 brick!’.

• sschaem

Program, Application, Software.. Who cares. “dude, he said software… he must be the king of trolls”

So you want your windows8 tablet to default to an icon based desktop ? like those WindowsCE ultra portable?

If you are not trolling, what I read in this thread is just unbelievably sad.

• Firestarter

I have no idea what you’re trying to say. I was replying to Deanjo, not Farting Bob.

Apple’s been using the Applications term for a really long time – firing up a 68k Mac emulator, I see an “Applications” folder installed by default with System 6.0.8.

• potatochobit

WHAT IS THIS CRAP?

there better NOT be some totally useless start screen on my windows 8
    there better be a disable button in the options menu

I love windowsME
    but NOT because it was useful
    I love it because the JP version is so cute and because it so much fun to joke about
    [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os-tan#Windows_ME[/url<]

[url<]http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF071-Weeaboo.gif[/url<]

• ronch

I like the new interface, but some parts seem carried over from Win7, like the file system window which really looks like My Computer. Things like this make Win8 feel like it’s just tacked on the Win7 kernel, which is probably the case anyway.

• Zkal

You do know that all Windows versions have always taken the old version and built on that? They don’t rewrite all lines of code from one windows version to another…

On topic of the UI, they can’t trash all the old UI concepts because of the 3rd party apps that are so popular in Windows world. If they did trash the old classic shell, most applications would be unusable since they weren’t designed for the new Windows 8 UI. On other note, in some cases the old classic shell will be far better option than the new UI so it would be silly for them to just remove it.

Most likely in the future the whole Windows UI will only be available as the new UI they showcased but that’ll depend how fast developers catch up and start actually making applications that follow the Win 8 new UI guidelines.

• Arag0n

Desktop OS tablets with full Touch GUI!

Microsoft showed the way to go! Learn from that iPad! iOS share the same kernel and structures with OSX and should be easy to add the OSX user interface to the iPad with a DOC station and functionalities. Specially since iPad2 CPU it’s starting to be “fast enough” to be comparable to an ATOM.

You have your tablet, your simple aplications and you have everything!

• shank15217

This is silly, the keyboard and mouse aren’t exactly inefficient UI.

• Bensam123

No, but they’re old and therefore antiquated… They must be replaced with a inferior design that is more annoying and harder to navigate, but more showy! …like a ribbon… yes… a ribbon will do nicely…. muhahaha!

• Arag0n

You are stuck in the past, they aren’t showing what a Windows8 desktop will look like, they are showing wich is going to be the Tablet user expirience. They allow you to use the same GUI for Desktops but it’s expected that you use the traditional one for this propose.

From desktops point of view, Windows8 will be a nice update to Windows7, just like a “big service pack”, but all the magic is in the underground and tablets, not the desktops!

• NeelyCam

Our brains will adapt to any input device, as long as it has the capabilities we need. I was playing an iPad game (‘cooties’ or something) and I found my fingers automatically adjusting to the multi-touch environment.

• crsh1976

Sure, but transpose that to a professional environment, touchscreens are not efficient at all; not saying we shouldn’t bring out new input methods, but let’s be realistic and consider that common work-environment tasks like typing an email or filling an Excel sheet or writing code are what dozens of millions do every day and a physical keyboard is still (sadly, perhaps) the optimal input device.

• Arag0n

Sure, because you forgot to see the part that they show you the usual interface as a wildcard that you can toy and use just to manipulate excel, word, etc. Man, look what they did. Now all the touchscreens from HP and Acer have sense and I wouldn’t bother buying a Windows7 tablet to update to 8 next year if there is a good deal (no more than 400$). The only thing bothers me, is that if they can deliver more than good enough performance with the nvidia quad core, the battery life should be awsome and much better GPU than ATOM. Only a tablet with an AMD fusion chip would be similar but not as good! Neither as long battery life, but this is my tablet man, this is my dream. Try to think about buying a 12″ tablet or maybe even 15″! With a dock keyboard that you can use as a laptop, but you can use as tablet and you can use as desktop when you are back home, with batteries at the keyboard and the tablet, with more than 10h battery each one, 20-30h of battery dock+tablet. No need to recharge your “laptop” for a week sometimes! just recharge it at night like a phone and it’s over.

Microsoft, I ever liked your products, but this is just what i was envisioning as my wish from windows8. The only thing I can say to you is. THANK YOU! And please, don’t mess the release like with windows vista! Make sure that everything fits properly and works, just like with windows phone 7.

• Bensam123

Your brain can adapt to banging your head on your keyboard for data entry too, that doesn’t mean it’s the best method.

• BobbinThreadbare

Sure, but the point is the interface was suited to the application. I wouldn’t want to program with a WiiMote anymore than I would want to play Half-Life with a touchscreen, and “cooties” would probably suck trying to play on a keyboard.

• stdRaichu

What we really need for innovation is a way to simultaneously take up more vertical resolution (even the ribbon doesn’t use enough pixels to make it truly revolutionary, it needs more rounded corners and bigger spaces between buttons) plus a 4096×640 screen. Keyboards shortcuts need to go the way of the dodo too, who the hell still uses a keyboard anyway?!

• moog

Select “Keyboards shortcuts need to go the way of the dodo too”, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. Really?

• Frith

He was clearly being sarcastic.

• bcronce

Let me know how a mouse and keyboard goes on your tablet and smart phone.

Starting with Win7, they’ve been working on correctly modularizing the OS. Win8 should be able to be stripped down to just the basic UI and dropped on a smart phone. They want to write Win8 once and use it everywhere.

• sschaem

This is a tablet demo … Seriously, how many people only use a mouse and keyboard on a tablet?

BTW, this is nothing more then another app like Window Media Center.

An OS is not limited to come with just one desktop/app manager launcher .

We need UI that match the usage & HW capabilities. Why do you think Apple dindt just port the OSX desktop to the iphone?

An icon based desktop on a tablet makes no sense.
      Windows8 is the first true windows OS that is tablet friendly, simply because MS added a new UI.

Man, it would suck if Windows Media Center used a ribbon interface and look like excel…

People think before you post…

• Bensam123

Annnnddd another Vista… Microsoft really likes the hit and miss approach to making OS’s. Sorta like the tick-tock approach Intel does, only with a failure on every tock.

• dpaus

Now, Microsoft’s (patented) approach is far superior to Intel’s, and is called “stick-stock”. Basically, you throw anything you can get your hands on at the analysts, see what sticks, and what it does to your stock.

• KoolAidMan

Nailed it

• Sencapri

Dayum… doesn’t feel like we’re in windows anymore. Tiles.

• Hattig

Well it looks like the Windows 8 Tablet experience won’t be too bad, as long as people write a few tens of thousands of Windows 8 Touch-enabled apps for the platform (i.e., the new tile UI layer). Looks like Traditional Windows and the Traditional Windows Desktop is relegated to being a certain type of Tile now. I’m glad that Microsoft could dust off the tiled UI of Windows 1.0 again.

I don’t see the use on a desktop system, even using a mouse would be awkward. There’s a reason that touch interfaces have developed initially on their own.

It will be interesting to see final usability compared against Apple’s full-screen APIs in Lion. At least Apple sell a touchpad for desktop multitouch actions.

And do we really need video backgrounds for a weather widget?