Shuttle displays two new Mini-ITX barebones

The folks at Shuttle have been keeping busy with their work on modular notebooks, but they’re not neglecting their bread and butter: barebone PCs. At Computex this week, Shuttle two fresh barebones that belong to a new R4 series. According to the company’s official announcement, R4 machines have aluminum enclosures, Mini-ITX motherboards, USB 3.0 connectivity, and I.C.E. heat-pipe-based coolers.

The announcement doesn’t get into too much detail, but thankfully, Computex is full of journalists with cameras and notepads. Chinese site Hot3C got a first-hand look at one of the two R4 machines, the Intel-powered SH61R4. It looks like that system has an H61 chipset, and Shuttle had it outfitted with a Core i5-2500 processor at the show. The spec sheet in the photograph lists other features like a Mini-PCI Express slot and support for dual displays.

For information about Shuttle’s other R4 barebone, the SA76R4, you’ll want to head to Hungarian site Geeks.hu, which reports that the machine has an AMD AM3/AM2+ socket. Based on the model number, I’m half expecting Shuttle to be using an AMD 760 chipset. Both the H61 and the AMD 760 sit in the value arena, so these Shuttle barebones might be relatively affordable. We’ll keep you posted as more details come to light.

• Ethyriel

Now give me a Brazos version of the XS35, and I’ll be a happy man.

• dragmor

Shuttle said no, its in an official interview. They basically said that no one wants AMD so they will stick with Intel for the smaller line. For what its worth I’m using a XS35GT as my main PC and its fine for every day things. It even games better than the SN95G5v3 (3500+ 6600GT) it replaced.

I honestly don’t know what Shuttles plan is. They should be showing of Llano, not some piece of AM3 legacy crap. They could still be the premier case for the new market (dual core sandy, Lllano, etc). Shrink the G5 style case (remove the DVD, use a 2.5 and 3.5 drives) but they don’t seem to have any clue.

• Flatland_Spider

Yeah, Shuttle doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. They could do some cool stuff with the new low-power mini-itx push, but they really haven’t, which is sad. Right now, Zotac is doing what Shuttle used to do.

• Ethyriel

It is definitely disappointing, but when it comes down to it, I just want a passive E450 barebones that isn’t hideously ugly. I don’t care who does it, so long as it isn’t Foxconn.

• eitje

Why wouldn’t you take pictures of the back port clusters?! :@

• crsh1976

I’m a big fan of Shuttle barebones, I’m on my second one (G45 chipset) and they already have a H67 model out; alas it comes with a 300w PSU and that’s not sufficient for a quad-core and a dedicated midrange video card to make a small gaming machine.

• FuturePastNow

Why wouldn’t it be? Assuming it’s a good quality PSU it should be OK for such a system.

• egon

The ICE cooling design has always been elegant – Shuttle got it right a decade ago and have sensibly stuck with it. What’s frustrating is they’ve also stuck with the whiny, hard to silence PSU fan, so whatever quiet characteristics the ICE fan has are a moot point.

• Corrado

It is moot. I wish it was mute.

See what I did there?