Silverstone cases cover monsters to midgets

Computex — PC enclosures come in a multitude of of sizes these days, and Silverstone seems to have them all covered. The most striking of the new models perched on the Computex showroom floor is easily the Temjin TJ12, whose massive proportions dwarf everything we’ve seen at the show this week.

For a sense of scale, note that there are no fewer than six double-wide graphics cards stuffed into the case. The TJ12 uses a similar layout to Silverstone’s Raven enclosures, which rotate the motherboard 90 degrees and put all the expansion ports up top. For a case designed to support so many expansion cards, the rotated layout makes a lot of sense. The TJ12 would be extremely tall otherwise, and this configuration allows the case to sit high off the ground to ensure plenty of airflow to the bottom-mounted intake fans. Hot air rises, so you might as well bias airflow in that direction.

If you’d prefer a standard tower, the new TJ04-E combines a steel body with one of two different front panels. The plastic one pictured above is my favorite of the two, if only because nothing about the aluminum alternative is particularly distinctive. At least, I can picture the plastic piece on the set of Blade Runner.

The TJ04-E comes with a trio of 120-mm fans and mounting brackets for three more. Silverstone has also taken care to ensure that users won’t have to sacrifice internal drive bays to accommodate the longest desktop graphics cards around.

One step down from the TJ04-E is the TJ08-E. Like its mid-tower cousin, this shorter model will available with your choice of bezels. A 180-mm intake fan sits behind the front panel, and you can add your own 120-mm exhaust fan at the rear.

Despite being designed for microATX motherboards, the TJ08-E can still swallow a pair of lengthy graphics cards thanks to a novel internal layout that puts the PSU up top and the motherboard upside down. To keep the ports at the rear, the motherboard hangs off the left side of the case, moving the main access panel to the right. Silverstone has also included a little support bracket on the bottom of the case to bear some of the weight of larger CPU coolers.

We’re big fans of Silverstone’s Mini-ITX enclosures, so it’s nice to see an update to the SG07. Dubbed the SG08, this new model retains the original’s internal layout but adds a blacked-out front panel with USB 3.0 connectivity. Despite our pleading for a full-sized 5.25″ bay, it looks like slim optical drives are here to stay. Silverstone is considering offering a beefier power supply than the 600W unit included with the SG07, though.

Speaking of PSUs, Silverstone has finally followed up on the passively cooled ST30NF 300W we reviewd way back in 2004. The new ST50NF offers 500W of output capacity with nary a fan in sight. Silverstone claims 82-88% efficiency for the unit, which can push up to 480W on its single 12V rail. Even though the casing is made up largely of aluminum, the thing feels like a lead weight—always a good sign for a PSU.

Want more wattage? Try the Zeus ZM1350, which offers 1350W of power and a nifty switch that lets you toggle the 12V line between one massive rail and six individual ones. This fully modular design has an extremely tight AC ripple tolerance of +/- 1%. There’s even a set of screws at the rear that let users fine tune the 3.3, 5, and 12V lines like OCZ’s old PowerStream PSUs.

• Crank

Great cases, but what motherboard accepts six double wide graphic cards?

• albundy

thats a nice TJ12, but me thinks the cost would be unbearable. I still have a soft spot for the older Lian Li PC-V1100, which i think would be alot lighter and cheaper, and probably quieter.

• Arclight

Issues regarding the Temjin TJ12:
    – will the big air coolers fit in that case? Example Thermalright Silver Arrow.
    – HDD, where and how many can you install? For such a large case it kinda fails in the storage department.
    – Watercooling video cards and CPU…seems impossible. How many radiators can you install on the case itself? Are the holes for watercooling enough to go around? Just imagine the noise of all the card when stressed, not a pretty sound….

Issues regarding the TJ04-E:
    – HDD bays rack is oriented in the wrong direction…that is so 1999….also no tooless/ antivibration rubber sleds for installing HDDs
    – Is the HDD rack removable to accomodate extra long cards like 6990?
    – How’s the WM? Again that HDDs rack oriented in the wrong direction will create some clutter of sata data and power cables reducing airflow….

On the TJ08-E i see they reversed the mobo position and now the CPU heatsink is on the bottom and video cards on top. But it’s kinda laugable that they showcased it with the fanless Thermalright HR-02, meaning that all the hot air from the heatsink would be sucked by the video cards. Come to think of it, even if it’s not fanless the cards will end up doing that since hot air rises.

LE: “One step down from the TJ04-E is the TJ08-E” and TJ12 is the big daddy…am i the only one noticing the naming scheme fail?

• cobalt

Any on-sale dates for these? (Particularly the TJ08-E — I hadn’t seen of it before, but now that I’m looking, apparently they’ve been showing the thing off for months now.)

Also, I’d love dimensions on the TJ08-E. It’s obviously quite similar to the TJ08, but I can’t tell if it’s identical. (I’ve got a spot exactly 15″ tall for a new case, and the old TJ08 is listed as 15″, so it’d be close…..)

Also, glad they finally updated the SG07. No offense, but as much as I like the rest of Silverstone’s cases, I thought the original SG07 looked a little tacky. As for the optical drive, I can live with a slim bay, but for heaven’s sake, at that point just go all the way and put a slot there like the FT03 has. You’re already limited with slim optical choices; might as well make it look great.

• SomeOtherGeek

Wow! What is the Temjin TJ12? THE farming case?

• DancinJack

Geoff titled the picture “monster.” He wasn’t kidding with the title.

• kamikaziechameleon

Its a very good design for air cooling. The fans don’t have to work as hard when thing start getting toasty. Just make sense, I was always suprise by the standard layout of components in a computer. Why do PSUs frequently suck air off the CPU cooler? Some just plain silly design/layout decisions in cases/mobos.

• Bauxite

I want to know what powersupply drives 6 doublewide gpus (looks like 6+8 or 8+8 power on each) and can you run it on a standard outlet?

Or does it have two? 😉

• thesmileman

It actually supports 4 power supplies.

But in this arrangement with 6 graphics cards it only supports two. You should be fine with two 1500w power supplies. 🙂

• DancinJack

That TJ08 might be my next case if the reviews are decent. I wonder if there is room to fit an H60 in there.

• crsh1976

I dig the TJ08-E, it’s an improvement over the old Sugo 02 I had a few years ago.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, but I wish the ports (USB etc) were on the top surface or at the top of the bezel — especially with the ext 3.5 bay (the best candidate for an add-in port cluster) all the way at the bottom .

• thesmileman

Hey Geoff can you take a look and let us know the motherboard in that model?

I haven’t seen a motherboard that has room for six double wide slots? I know a lot have more than six slots but they are right next to each other.

• thesmileman

Never mind. I just found a video of it and they are using some sort of PCI-E expansion ribbons for the connectors so the cards stay farther apart. I will have to get one of these.

• Duck

That micro ATX case is pretty neat. I like.

But why are you pleading for a 5.25″ bay in the mITX case?? If it were up to me, it wouldn’t even have a a slimline bay. Seriously, just get 1 USB powered DVD drive and that’s enough to serve at least all the computers in your household. Having a big 5.25″ drive in every computer is just wasteful.

• Ushio01

I’d stick one of these “http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-sata-quickport-internal-sata-iii-6-gb-s-6xbay-25-hdd-into-single-525-bay” in it so I don’t have a problem with longer graphic cards.

• UberGerbil

Sure, you can make the case for eliminating the 5.25″ bay entirely. But if you’re going to have one, it should be full-sized. Slim opticals are relatively rare and generally priced at a premium; more significantly, there are a lot of other peripherals that are designed to go into a 5.25″ bay, and there are bound to be customers who would like to to use one of them in a compact PC. Going with a slim bay doesn’t save much space but it really restricts choices.

• Duck

[quote<]But if you're going to have one, it should be full-sized.[/quote<] Yup. But for SFF I'd say go without. Would be nice to have some micro ATX cases without optical drive bays too. Heck, I don't even want space for a PSU while we're at it.