Wii U gameplay reel included Xbox 360, PS3 footage

After watching Nintendo’s official Wii U gameplay footage yesterday, I surmised that the console’s graphical horsepower was probably no better than that of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Turns out I was partly right. Some of that footage was of games running on the 360 and PS3.

No, really. Nintendo isn’t even trying to sweep this under the rug. When asked by GameTrailers.com to confirm that the footage was pilfered from other consoles, Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime shot back, "Absolutely, because we’re talking a year away from when the system is gonna launch."

Fils-Aime also responded in the affirmative when asked if Wii U games would really look that good. He went on to qualify that statement by saying, "In terms of how good it looks, it’s gonna be driven by what the individual developers do. The system’s gonna be 1080p, right? It’s gonna be high definition, and so again, tick that box. That’s done. Now, it’s about what is the new experience that we’re gonna bring to bear."

I suppose this isn’t anywhere near as bad as the completely fabricated Killzone 2 trailer to which we were treated at the PlayStation 3 launch. Fils-Aime’s apparent point is that the Wii should deliver visuals similar today’s HD consoles, and if it does, Wii U games could end up looking very much like yesterday’s footage. Still, what happened to showing real products running real games at launch events?

• Vrock

So the new Wii will be what it should have been when it launched five years ago? Whoopee.

• XaiaX

I’m sure Nintendo is just a long time in coming to grips with the utter failure that has prevented them from losing trillions of yen over the course of selling several dozen million units more than their competitors.

I’m kind of disappointed that I’m still surprised that people can’t tell the difference between what they personally want, and what others “should” do.

• SonicSilicon

That was Motion Plus.

• Bensam123

“…tick that box.”

*vomits*

• ClickClick5

“…The system’s gonna be 1080p, right? It’s gonna be high definition, and so again, tick that box…”

Well I play N64 games on my PC in 1080. But it still looks like a N64 game.

Your statement sir is invalid.

• axeman

You sure? Ima pretty sure my upscaling DVD player makes it just as good as blu-ray. ‘Cause it has the 1080p

• EtherealN

That’s not quite what he is talking about. When I tried Sonic The Hedhehog on the iPad I could scale it up to the full iPad screen – didn’t make the game suddenly render it’s graphics at a higher resolution anymore than you get HD graphics if you run Doom on a 1080p display.

What he is talking about is that the unit (and it’s games) will be made to operate at 1080p.

It’s still up to the developers to use what the unit has got properly, but this is no different to anything else. Some of them will, and some of them wont – just like on the Xbox.

• Joerdgs

Well AMD is supplying a custom HD GPU for the Wii U and rumours says it’s based on the RV770 chip that powered the HD4850. If that’s true, the Wii U is technically far more capable than the PS3 and Xbox, which shouldn’t be surprising as those consist of 5 year old hardware! Don’t forget how fast technology moves in this industry.

• superjawes

Pretty much what I was thinking, but that also implies that PS3 and 360 era graphics are outdated–which they are not, really. CPU power might make a difference and number of independent objects might change, but we’re not going to see things magically become more realistic or detailed because we’re to the point where that doesn’t return much value.

Personally, I am excited for this one. I think new ways to play is going to change the gaming market, rather than any visual (3D) upgrade.

• khands

360 and PS3 graphics [i<]are[/i<] outdated, now I'm not saying that the difference is as big as the last generation was to this one (which was comparatively small to the one before that), but they're definitely holding things back on the PC and will likely do so for multi-plats for a while (though, strangely enough, PC versions might be derived from the Wii-U for a bit.. so weird).

• albundy

so a year from now, they might be caught up to ps3 and xbox 360…doesn’t that give their rivals a chance to bury them alive?

• Skrying

Caught up only in the graphic sense. The Wii wasn’t even close to the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphics and it ended up being those two who were chasing after the Wii.

• khands

It will be significantly more capable than the 360 or PS3 if the current rumors are true, however, it’ll likely look the same because it will be cheaper that way (and at least initially it won’t sell hard core titles in the numbers that the other two will due to the install base).

• Kaleid

The important thing was to show that it won’t just be party games this time around.

The new Batman for instance will be coming to PS3 and 360 and they will likely not do much changes to it when it comes to U

• toyota

some of you people are just ridiculous and will bitch about anything. the Wii U will not even be out for nearly a year and everything has not even been finalized. this was not some claimed gameplay footage and was nothing more than an announcement of some third party games we would see later down the road. get a grip…

• NeelyCam

Get a real car

• Kamisaki

wtf.

• yogibbear

Deal with it. Rock n’ Roll.

• eitje

James Van Der Beek, is that you?!

• Bensam123

In terms of hardware development, nothing is going to change in a year from what they’re planning right now unless they want to add another 1-2 onto that year.

• toyota

that has nothing at all to do with the context of my comment. I am saying of course the footage is just general game footage since the consoles were not 100% done and in game developers hands for them to have footage. this is one of the dumbest stories I have ever seen tech sites run with since Nintendo never claimed it was game footage from their console. again anybody with common sense figured this was nothing more than a video listing some future third party games.

• Scrotos

I disagree. Here’s something not shipping for a few more months that has a pretty demo made:

[url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/21069[/url<] Wii U is going to be compatible with existing Wii software, right? How hard is it to make a demo based on some of their in-house developed software titles that show some more eye candy? As has been pointed out, the hardware isn't going to change in the year, it's still PPC with Radeon graphics. I suppose the OS/APIs are still being hashed out but hell, if existing Wii software is supposed to run on it, I don't see why their dev boxes, which are probably already running native games that are being worked on, can't come up with something. They don't even have to be playable, just pretty tech demos. They had hardware that apparently worked for people to play with, they could have made something just as simple as the nvidia demo that would say, "hey, look, we have these thingies too, ok?!?" It was just being lazy/saving money on their part.

• lilbuddhaman

Generally when you launch a new platform you show off the system with AT LEAST development hardware footage. The only *real* footage we got was the Zelda Snippet, and a bunch of Wii-esque junk that had the same graphical fidelity as the Wii. I find it hard to believe that a system that is only a year away is lacking any real footage from developers.

Eh ?

• Bensam123

Games have at least playable alphas a year before they’re going to release or they aren’t going to release in a year. Even if it’s not done, it’s to a point where they can take a bit of video for it. Games operate in the same way as hardware development in terms of how long it takes them to make changes to the game and overall development.

As far as what we saw, that all looked like a demo reel from Wii’s system. I guess I didn’t read the small print where they tell you the whole thing was a mock trial in a laboratory setting under certain conditions?

• khands

that’s all most demo reels are though.

• Ardrid

[quote<]I suppose this isn't anywhere near as bad as the completely fabricated Killzone 2 trailer to which we were treated at the PlayStation 3 launch[/quote<] Except, as I recall, Sony never officially claimed the Killzone 2 footage was real-time. In fact, Guerrilla went out of its way to explain that the footage was only a target render. Contrast that with Nintendo, who played a demo reel that one would logically associate as footage from the console they were debuting, not footage taken from competing consoles. Definitely worse than Killzone 2 where, again, Sony didn't propagate the idea that the footage was real-time/in-game.

• SPOOFE

[quote<]xcept Sony never claimed the Killzone 2 footage was real-time.[/quote<] Except for Jack Tretton, VP at the time.

• tay

What is with all the “gonna”. C level execs shouldn’t talk like that. Maybe his english is teh sux.

• thesmileman

“In terms of how good it looks, it’s gonna be driven by what the individual developers do. The system’s gonna be 1080p, right? It’s gonna be high definition, and so again, tick that box. That’s done.”

Okay so 1080p and high definition means developers can magically content equal to other consoles. Wow!!! I didn’t realize so many new phones and tablets are just as good as the PS3 and XBOX!

• ImSpartacus

They said it can do 1080p video, not that the games are in 1080p.

Hell, CoD does their stuff in 1024×600 and upscales it.

You can never hold resolution as a guarantee.

• Hattig

It depends on whether the games are rendered at 1080p, or if they’re merely upscaled from 720p, 600p, 576p, like so many games on the existing PS3 and 360. If it can do a current PS3/360 game that is rendered in a lower res, and do it at 1080p then that’s enough of an improvement for me. I’m also assuming 1GB or 2GB or RAM, split between the CPU and GPU, so room for graphical enhancements. Never mind GPU features like tessellation and improved shaders that could improve image quality.

For what it is worth, the Mario Bros Mii game screenshots I’ve seen appear to be 1280×720.

• khands

Given how much better games can appear on a console with comparative hardware than a PC and how much better a 4850 is compared to a 7800GT I would think it wouldn’t be a problem running games in native 1080p, especially if the talk about something comparable to Blu-Ray for storage is true.

• lilbuddhaman

I know that the Xbox 360 has a modified Ati GPU w/ specialized tessellation. I believe the PS3 has similar.

• sigler00

I’m surprised there’s so little outrage on this. I agree this is not as shady as the infamous Killzone 2 trailer but it’s in the same league as that tactic which is basically to deceive the audience to some degree. It’s as if Nintendo knew they needed more than a few tech demos to impress their audience so they used footage from games the hardcore crowd would respect.

I will give Reggie big credit for stepping forward though, something Sony never really did.

• OneArmedScissor

What’s new to be outraged about? Everyone here already seemed to think the PS3 and 360 have crappy graphics. Even if the Wii is quite a bit more capable, the pitchfork mob is still going to be yelling, “Where’s the 2560×1600 with 16x AA for when I’m sitting 20 feet from the TV?”

• willmore

It’s a year from launch, this just an announcement that they’re going to have a launch, right? At this point in the lifecycle, there are dev systems out there and people are codeing like mad, but a finished game ready to show?

By using the footage they did, I get the message that they want to release something that performs like the current gen consoles–which means they intend to keep up their policy of being one gen back on graphics/processor. That’s not a big deal as long as they can deliver on the gameplay front–which they did in spades with the Wii.

• Scrotos

Their message gets shot in the foot if there’s enough pushback that the same press that’s reporting on the Wii U being fantastic are then writing stories about how it was “faked” and casting aspersions on “will this console be done on time?!?”

It works both ways. Yes, the video gets the message across. But what’s the risk if you get found out for doctoring something that’s supposed to be representative of your product? Specifically, what’s the damage PR-wise?

If the press doesn’t bring it up, it was successful. If word of mouth makes it an issue, then… it was a bad risk to take.

• flip-mode

It’d definitely got a creepy feel to it, but I’ll save my outrage for 12 months from now.

• Sargent Duck

I’m gonna guess little outrage because Nintendo isn’t trying to outright lie to people. Yes, a bit deceiving for sure, but he’s not lying when asked. People don’t like to find out they’ve been lied too/duped.

• jstern

What’s there to be outraged about? I thought it was normal to show footage of what they system is expected to look like, since they’re usually shown before the system is completed. They also showed how the new controller is going to be used during gameplay. I seriously don’t see anything morally wrong. Should they have waited for next year’s E3?

Wrong would be that Metal Gear video that Sony showed before the PS3 was out. It was beyond, I don’t even know what word to use. But it definitely mislead a lot of people into believing that the PS3 was going to have graphics beyond anything possible, even with PCs.

• jstern

Let me add, even though I knew it was bs, and knew the 360 was just as capable, it took me a while to put it through my head that gameplay footage of 360 games were actually 360s and not PS3, and I believe that’s the effect of leading people to believe that a system is much better than it’s really going to be. Even after it’s all said and done, and you actually get to see the PS3 in action, you still got the vibe that it was much better than the 360, and that’s what hype does, even after you see the thing in action.

• OneArmedScissor

“Still, what happened to showing real products running real games at launch events?”

Duke Nukem Forever for Nintendo 64, circa 1997.

• jstern

I hope the reason is because the specs are not finalize, for a system that’s a year away. If the footage ran on a completed system, then that would mean there’s no chance for improving it with better hardware.

• Farting Bob

They have almost certainly finalized the main hardware already. Things like storage and RAM may improve later though. They need it completely set in stone from when the first games start getting developed. Because consoles are static the main developers want to know exactly what they’ve got to play with for launch games. And a year isnt to long to make a game from scratch with unfamiliar hardware.

• jstern

What I meant was that they already have the specs finalized and that it could be a good sign that they didn’t present a completed system, because that would mean that their goal is for something more powerful than what they would produce today, rather than what they expect to be there in 6+ months.

I was thinking perhaps a die shrink, to bump the speed, but then I remember that the CPU is going to be 45nm. I heard that they’re going to use a Radeon 5000 series CPU.