Release roundup: Enclosures, cooling, and gaming mice

Computex effectively gave us a five-day release roundup, so we skipped the usual feature last week in favor of more in-depth coverage of various product announcements. Despite the abundance of new goodies at the show, though, the folks at Lian Li, PNY, Razer, and Scythe still had new items to introduce this week:

• Lian Li launches HTPC PC-C60 and Mid-Tower PC-6 computer cases. Here comes a tandem of fresh computer cases from Lian Li. One of them, the PC-6, has a conventional mid-tower form factor with tool-less, rubber-mounted drive bays (three 5.25", three 3.5", and one 2.5"), a bottom-mounted PSU area, 140-mm front and rear fans, and USB 3.0 connectivity. The PC-C60 is geared toward home-theater systems; it features more internal drive bays (six 3.5" and three 2.5" bays), two 140-mm fan mounts on one side, and both USB 3.0 and eSATA front-panel ports. As you can see below, the PC-C60 is meant to lay flat like a set-top box.

• PNY joins forces with Asetek to provide powerful liquid cooled graphics solution. PNY’s new XLR8 liquid-cooled GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards are strange animals, both featuring a conventional-looking blower cooler out of which pokes out a liquid-cooling radiator and large exhaust fan. The $580 model connects that radiator directly to the card, while the $650 model has a CPU block hooked up to the closed-loop cooling system. PNY bundles both offerings with a 16-ft HDMI-mini-to-HDMI cable, an 8GB USB flash drive, and a T-shirt. More importantly, the liquid-cooled system has a five-year warranty (provided you sign up within 90 days of your purchase).

• Razer unveils world’s most advanced gaming-grade tracking technology. Behind that rather sensational headline hides new versions of Razer’s Mamba and Imperator mice, both with a 6400-DPI "4G Dual Sensor System." This sensor has "both an optical and a laser sensor for enhanced tracking accuracy" and allows "calibration of mouse to the surface you’re using," according to Razer. Users can also adjust how far the mouse will have to be lifted up before it stops tracking. The new Mamba will set you back $129.99, while the revamped Imperator costs $79.99.

• Scythe announces Kaze Q8 and Kaze Q12 fan controllers. Don’t reach for the Clearasil—these are merely fan controllers with a lot of fan-speed adjustment knobs. The smaller of the two, the Kaze Q8, fits inside a 3.5" drive bay and has controls for eight separate fans. The Q12 goes into a 5.25" bay and lets one adjust the speeds up of up to 12 fans. Both controllers offer adjustments from 5V to 12V and have LEDs that light up above each knob if a fan is connected. Scythe quotes pricing of 16.75 and 23.95 Euros for the two controllers, although sadly, the press release doesn’t mention U.S. pricing.

I suppose something like Scythe’s Q8 wouldn’t hurt to stick into a quiet PC, especially considering the relatively low price (16.75 euros works out to about $24). I can’t help think that more ubiquitous and customizable motherboard fan controls would be a better solution, though.

• jimmy900623

Pretty good post. I just found your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your posts.In any case I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again sooner

[url<]http://www.buyoutlook2010.com/[/url<] [url<]http://www.buyoutlook2010.com/goods-27.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.buyoutlook2010.com/goods-49.html[/url<]

• d0g_p00p

Any info on that backwards Lian Li case? It’s the one with the backports of your motherboard facing forward. It looked like a pretty neat idea. Also the new flat sideways mounting of HDD’s on all the new models? That feature impressed me the most as it removed HDD’s out of the way for front facing fans to have unblocked access to push air throughout the case.

• kamikaziechameleon

Razor needed to step up there game the RAT 9 is so flippin amazing! I love mine and don’t miss my razor lachesis at all.

• destroy.all.monsters

Woah a 12 fan controller. I can’t imagine how loud your pc will be after that.

That said, those controllers are damn fine looking and you can be that if they were professional grade eqs they’d cost a boatload of cash (though obviously they’d be much bigger!).

• UberGerbil

My first thought was equalizers: I’d love to see a fan controller like that with sliders instead of knobs, so you could create a fun mountain range bar graph. (And, if you had it wired the right way, that might actually make sense)

• UltimateImperative

The NZXT Sentry Mesh: [url<]http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_mesh[/url<]

• Bensam123

The Razer website lists the mouse as needing a USB slot, doesn’t mention the speed. USB 2 anyone?

Lian-Li’s cases of late haven’t been all that interesting. Usually a bunch of unused space (such as where 3.5 bays used to be when floppies were in style) and hard drive cages that don’t look very functional. That’s most unfortunate because I still think their cases are the best looking on the market. I’m still running my PC-61 (I think that’s the model).

• holophrastic

look, rectangular enclosures. again and still.

• Shoki

What do you suggest? oval? globe? hexagon? Rectangular seems like a pretty good option based on the rectangular shaped items that the enclosure encloses.

• holophrastic

Anything different would be fine. Just not the same stupid rectangle. But since you’re having trouble imagining a complex shape, how about a triangle?

• jabro

What about the Lian-LI PC-U6?

[url<]http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=573&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=63[/url<]

• BeowulfSchaeffer

Looks like a sea shell. My daughter would love that.

• Farting Bob

The famous snail case! I agree that not all cases need to be made with a ruler, but a square/retangle is the most sensible shape considering everything in a PC is designed for it. So a triangle case would still have to fit a square PSU and motherboard, with room for square drives.

• willyolio

wait, aren’t you the guy who mistook a trapezoid for a rectangle?

do you complain every year at every car company that keeps redesigning cars with 4 wheels, too?

• holophrastic

Oh that thing was so very barely trapezoidal. That doesn’t count. If someone walking past my desk can’t tell that it isn’t a rectangle, it’s a rectangle.

And if you’d see my car, you’d notice that mine is quite a ways away from how yours looks. No one would every confuse the two.

• BobbinThreadbare

Why don’t you just build your own case if you dislike rectangles so much?

• Goty

Well, let’s see… The motherboards are rectangular (prisms)… the add-in cards are rectangular (prisms)… the drives are rectangular (prisms)… PSUs are rectangular (prisms)… DIMMs are rectangular (prisms)… fans are rectangular (prisms) (with a few exceptions)….

You know what kind of enclosure would fit all of that stuff REALLY well? I’ll give you three guesses and the first two don’t count.

• albundy

That Razer mouse looks nice, but I sure hope it does side scrolling, and can tether to a usb cable for charging and using at the same time, cus that’s way too much loot to put up for less features than older mice.

• dmjifn

Basing this on looking closely at the pictures, a lot of the build and features look similar to my PC-A03. In that case, I wouldn’t recommend these. I wanted something that was just damn nice. But:

… gaps between most panels where light pours out
    … thin, fragile material with grainy looking side panels
    … slightly louder closed than open
    … drive cage pins the front fan in, so it’s not replaceable (on mine – this one could probably slide up and out)
    … toolless optical drive bay allows drives to rattle loudly

Basically it’s nice to the touch, and I like the aesthetic design. But in actual use, it looks and sounds just blah.

• Mr Bill

Do the video card cooler as a heat pipe with semi-flexible hose to the radiator and I’m on it. But liquid cooled? I’ve heard too many horror stories of a leak taking out major hardware.

• internetsandman

Have any of those horror stories been from closed loop systems like Asetek and Corsair manufacture?

• ColeLT1

Water cooling is not for all, but I have never had an issue with any WC loops I have set up, you have to take your time and do things right. I set up my loops outside the case, hook to a test PSU and let them run overnight and check for leaks, then pull (hard) on all the hoses to make sure that any movement is not going to leak:
      [url<]http://splak.net/computer/watercooled/new/IMG_0997.JPG[/url<]

• egon

[quote<]I suppose something like Scythe's Q8 wouldn't hurt to stick into a quiet PC, especially considering the relatively low price (16.75 euros works out to about $24). I can't help think that more ubiquitous and customizable motherboard fan controls would be a better solution, though.[/quote<] The very [i<]lack[/i<] of ubiquitous, fully customisable PWM fan control is what drives some people to these alternatives. Anyone who's had long experience with PC silencing can tell you their frustration over non-existent, half-arsed or flawed BIOS-controlled motherboard headers and inconsistent compatibility with utilities like SpeedFan. Drive bay fan controllers aren't necessarily liked that much but at least you know what to expect from them.

• Farting Bob

I use a fan controller just because i know that UNLESS i am encoding video or playing a very stressful game that all my fans can be set to the 5v and forgotten about, and then i have a physical knob within arms reach away that i can use at any time. software controls always leave my fans way to loud i feel, theres no need for every part of my PC to be around 40c when idling, when i can have half the noise and a few more degrees.

• egon

Just realised I misread what Cyril was saying – he was almost certainly making the exact same point I responded with. Sorry 😀

• geekl33tgamer

Love the looks and features of the new Razer Mamba mouse. Perfect timing for release because I’m looking for a new mouse to replace my ageing Microsoft Habu (In brand only, Razer make it) mouse…

IMO, no other companies mice fit the way theirs do in the hand. Almost perfect – And yes I’m really fussy about mice… 🙂

• indeego

I was going to post how their mice seem to have a tad too many sharp edges. The first time my index finger would get caught between the index click and the top or bottom button would grate me.

• geekl33tgamer

You know, your right – But a few cut fingers when it’s new are easily forgotten for a hardened gamer – Man up!!!

Look at all the positives mines had over the years (4+ years old now). For a start, it still works. All the buttons are soft touch and rubbery. The centre scroll wheel is silky smooth with no “clicky” sound (same for the left/right buttons). The teflon feet / gliders are original and still smooth. It has inter-changeable buttons on the left thumb area.

It also glows blue all around the edge. That also still works after all these years of use. Talk about an investment – It’s survived 2 re-builds along with the Microsoft Reclusa Keyboard (Ha, it’s also made by Razer) I have – I cant quite bring myself to part with either of them because they are the perfect mouse / keyboard combo I have ever owned…

• indeego

[quote<]It also glows blue all around the edge.[/quote<] I'm sold if/when the blue LED is pointed directly in my eye.

• d0g_p00p

My Habu is going strong after years of use as well. The “Microsoft” stencil is wearing off but the lights are still strong and the mouse buttons are still snappy after hours and hours of L4D 1 & 2. Great mouse.

• Meadows

You actually used a Habu? My condolences.

• geekl33tgamer

Correction, I still do. The Habu mouse is built on Razer Diamondback mice internally, and looks like a slightly fatter Intellimouse 3 on the outside. I like it thanks, and Microsoft’s logo’s no where to be found on it (It rubbed off, it was on the palm rest area).

Even on the bottom it says “Made by Razer [Habu – Model 1092]”… No mention of Redmond…

I had one till left click started to do double clicks unintentionally, after 3 months of usage, and let’s not forget the drivers. My 10$ logitech mouse that I glued pennies inside of to make it heavier lasted 50x longer than it for 1/5 of the price.

• Welch

I tried some of the Razer mice, the internals seem solid but I just can’t get over the solid perfectly conformed fit of the Logitech G5 mouse, and im not that big of a fan of the Razer mice for their feel. Just seem to light and plasticy.

However, their Razer Destructor mouse pad is the most amazing rat pad i’ve ever owned. Shows ZERO signs of wear and one little nudge and the mouse goes flying off the surface, the way it should be 😀

• Farting Bob

I have a fancontroller that is very similar to those scythe models, but its a zalman with 6 dials. I have 5 fans in my PC, i cant think of a way that you could possible fit 12 into any sort of non-server case. But im sure there is some demand out there for them.

• mmmmmdonuts21

Watercooling is where 12 can easily come into play. I got 9 fans currently on a fan controller. (6 in push/pull on 360 RAD) and then 3 case fans.