National Iced Tea Day Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. Supreme Court rules against Microsoft’s attempt to alter patent-infringement rules
  2. Best Buy tells Newegg to cease & desist
  3. X-bit labs: Intel’s latest processors drop sales of discrete GPUs dramatically – analysts

and hp threatens to sue Oracle for ceasing Intel Itanium support

4. Ask Ars: With Xeon’s improvement, why bother with Itanium?
  5. iFixit’s Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook teardown
  6. Win Rumors on Windows 8: Latest leak hints at improved multi-monitor support
  7. Battlefield 3 system requirements
  8. Ars Technica’s Rage hands-on: There are guns, you shoot them, and I’m bored already

National Iced Tea Day

1. Ars Technica reports World IPv6 Day went mostly smoothly, with a few

surprises and inside the US-Anglo-French plan to civilize the Internet

2. ABC News: In latest attack, hackers steal Citibank card data
  3. Ars Technica: Judge furious at “inexcusable” P2P lawyering, nukes subpoenas
  4. DigiTimes: Foxconn prepares 5-year plan to boost its performance and

Foxconn will not quit notebook manufacturing, says company

5. AMD and ViVu join forces to bring vivid, next-generation PC video experiences to life
  6. PC Perspective podcast #158

Hardware news

1. Nvidia Blog: China’s investment in GPU supercomputing begins to pay off big time
  2. DigiTimes: Asus to sell new ultra-thin notebook at a price $100 cheaper than MacBook Air
  3. HotHardware reports Acer introduces Aspire One Happy

11. Dealzon’s deals: Save on 15.6″ Lenovo B570, $170 coupon for 15.6″ Lenovo

G570 i3-2310M, $88 coupon for 14″ Toshiba L640-BT2N15 Pentium, and

$470 coupon for 14″ Lenovo Y460p quad i7-2630QM / 750GB HDD

Mobile

1. Symantec: Android not a major target for attacks – SemiAccurate
  2. Ars Technica on some compelling iOS 5 features you may have overlooked

and Apple quietly drops special subscription requirements for iOS apps

3. InformationWeek reports iOS is the most secure mobile OS
  4. Microsoft aids developers in porting Android apps to Windows Phones and

Microsoft continues its Windows Mobile 6.x end-of-the-road campaign

5. DigiTimes: Acer places orders for 80,000 Z series APUs from AMD for tablet PCs
  6. Computerworld has Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1: First impressions
  7. SemiAccurate reports Photofast makes an iPhone USB memory stick

Software

1. Microsoft security bulletin advance notification for June 2011
  2. A new stable release of Chrome: Safer and snazzier
  3. System Explorer 2.9.0

Gaming

1. Nvidia: Hail to a king? (Randy Pitchford)
  2. Kotaku reports Sony “may never know” what the hackers stole, who they were
  3. Ars Technica’s hands-on with Sony’s $500, 24″ 3D HDTV with screen sharing
  4. Fudzilla reports Infinity Ward back pedaling on dedicated servers
  5. Neverwinter – E3 2011 trailer
  6. Shacknews reports Mass Effect and Wii U a ‘really nice fit,’ says EA

and Assassin’s Creed Revelations gets ‘Signature’ upgrade at GameStop

and Team Fortress 2 award winners announced

7. Ars Technica: Uncharted 3’s cinematics animator on the challenges, rewards of 3D

and Asura’s Wrath is effortlessly weird and weirdly awesome

5. OCIA’s Zotac GTX 590 SLI 5760×1080 Nvidia Surround review
  6. PC Perspective reviews MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk
  7. OCIA reviews Corsair Obsidian 650D case
  8. Hi Tech Legion reviews Azza Toledo 301 case
    • NeelyCam

Looks like Brazos failed as a HTPC:

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/4442/zotac-zbox-brazos-goes-htpc/2[/url<] Good GPU + crap CPU = fail. Sorry folks, but those playback issues with Netflix are simply unacceptable.

• BobbinThreadbare

Youtube and other HD sources play fine, so I’m going to guess they have enough power to decode Netflix. Probably just need to work on the drivers.

• indeego

Yeah it must be hard writing drivers for a service now entering its third year.

• BobbinThreadbare

I didn’t say this was good, just that the system appears to have enough horsepower to decode HD streams.

• mutarasector

I’ve been leaning against Brazos for some time now as an HTPC. Initially it sounded like a winner because of the GPU, but for my intended use, it became apparent I was going to wait for Llano – particularly a Llano mini-ITX for a truly capable all round AMD Fusion based HTPC. Largely what dictated this for me was the ability to use Ceton’s new 6 tuner PCIe CableCard tuner, and setting up a SFF DVR with up to 6 streams. The CPU requirement just pushed any Brazos system out as an option for this.

One place I see Brazos systems as a real strong option is in POS systems. I’ve used about 9 of these boards in replacement POS terminals/servers for some clients. I particularly like them in places like pizza shops w/hostile heavily laden oil/flour atmospheres because of the fanless design not drawing nearly as much airflow across the mobos. They’re perfect for small servers and terminal stations w/seperate ELO touch screens. The savings from avoiding having to buy/install all-in-one Radiant POS terminals as replacements allows me to also switch over kitchen line printers from older serial/parallel types simply by replacing the printer interface boards to USB based interfaces and cabling with USB repeater/extender cables.

As HTPCs however, they’re just a little too CPU underpowered…

• NeelyCam

I agree with you… mostly. Llano looks more attractive as an all-around HTPC. Low-end SB might fit the bill too, but I know you have a bit of a bias against anything Intel..

• mutarasector

re: “but I know you have a bit of a bias against anything Intel..”

Not really. As of Sandy Bridge, I have some renewed respect for Intel. AMD just represents the best trade-off in price/performance with its Fusion Llano line. Granted, the CPUs are weaker than Intel offerings, but for my needs, AMDs superior GPU performance wins out. Now if I were doing heavy video transcoding, I might consider going with Intel, but then I’d also be looking at a discrete GPU as well, so now I’m into micro-ATX form factor. That is what I’m trying to get away from. As it stands right now, I’m torn between a mini-ITX based HTPC w/a Ceton tuner card, or docked Llano notebook notebook w/USB 3.0 and a USB variant of Ceton’s CableCard digital tuner.,

“For the POS systems, though: shouldn’t something ARM-based be better? If it’s good enough for an iPad2, why wouldn’t it be good enough for this?”

Believe it or not, they’re not powerful enough CPU-wise for SQL database POS systems or heavy transactional database applications, let alone a lack of ARM versions of POS software. Even Atom is rather weak for a lot of POS software which is why a lot of POS all-in-one systems with 5-wire touchscreens tend to be built around VIA’s low power processors. AMD’s Brazos will likely find a home in that market bigtime but will probably have to go toe-to-toe with VIA’s recently announced Nano processors in that space.

• adam1378

Star Wars Kinect makes me want to puke all over George Lucas’ pile of cash. The whoring of the franchise is making it harder to enjoy my childhood.

• dpaus

You gotta know the someone’s gonna retort ‘time to grow up, then!’

• BobbinThreadbare

Sure but there are still children today and it’s pretty disgusting how Lucas is trying to exploit them.

• ModernPrimitive

The last thing I bought at Best Buy was a psu I had to have that weekend to repair my sister’s computer. I cringed at paying 99 bucks for it when i could have got it shipped for 20 less from Newegg. Thankful that I didn’t have to listen to a boob squad member try and explain what i needed although i of course had to suffer the “would you like to buy a xx.xx service plan for this?” and “do you want to apply for a bla bla bla” and “register for yada yada yada” at checkout….

• ModernPrimitive

To those few associates that know their stuff, I’m sorry you are stuck with the coworkers you have and thanks. Wish there were more like you.

• south side sammy

the link doesn’t work……… read it elsewhere…..

NEWEGG/BestBuy……………. I’ve seen that commercial several times. At no time did I ever associate that a Newegg vs BB……

shopped there recently. i asked and rep had to get someone with more knowledge, so yes, there are uninformed people wherever you go…. even Mc Donalds has to teach their people…..

and by the way, the more knowledgeable person said try newegg”………

and what was that about a logo. what logo are they talking about ?

• mutarasector

re: “Best Buy tells Newegg to cease & desist”

Awww… poor Best Buy. Trying to build a trade-dress case against a very successful competitor smart enough to realize Best Buy’s big box business model is succumbing to marketing darwinism because their customers are a more technically informed, empowered lot these days, and realize that technology choices from them are neither ‘best’, nor the place to ‘ buy’.

I guess Best Buy is getting tired of being the ‘try it before you buy it’ beotches for us tire-kickers who are tired of their know-nothing pimply faced best-boob blue shirts, and end up going to outfits like Newegg anyway.

• BobbinThreadbare

If Best Buy had reasonable prices, I would actually consider buying stuff from them even if it was more than Newegg for the privilege of being able to physically interact with the equipment before I bought it.

However, they charge $50 for an HDMI cable, so screw em.

• dpaus

[quote<]"There are guns, you shoot them, and I'm bored already..."[/quote<] Although he's talking about one game only, that statement pretty much sums up my feelings about games in general for the last 10 years or so.

• yogibbear

Have you played STALKER, Metro 2033, VtM:B, Half-life 2, etc. or are you just a hater that’s gonna hate?

The videos I’ve seen of rage DO look boring. However if they made a video on PC i might be more interested and if the races are fun and the weapon’s are interesting and switching between them is faster than has been shown in the gameplay videos then I’ll likely enjoy it, but I do agree that iD are pretty tragic at making games worth playing beyond their initial pretty looks.

• dpaus

It’s not hatred, it’s boredom… But to answer your question, no, I haven’t played most of the games you mentioned; I just couldn’t get find anything about them that was compelling enough to get into Yet Another First-Person Shooter.

• Farting Bob

Maybe you should consider playing games that dont fall into the ‘FPS’ category. Theres plenty to choose from…

• dpaus

I had high hopes for ‘Cliffs of Dover’ but they’re fading…

• dpaus

[quote<]InformationWeek reports iOS is the most secure mobile OS[/quote<] This shouldn't even be called an 'article' given that it's basically just a 200-word summary of [url=http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/apple-ios-why-its-the-most-secure-os-period-792-0<]an InfoWorld article[/url<] (which, in turn, acknowledges that it was 'derived' from an unspecified article at InfoWorld), but even that is crap. It's headline is "Apple's iOS is the most secure OS, period" and then goes on to quote Raimund Genes (CTO for software security firm Trend Micro) as saying ""It is not because the iOS is completely safe. From a system design standpoint, Android is safer." Hunh? So why the title, then? Why it's because, according to Apple, "the advantage of attacker psychology -- attackers still target smartphones far less than desktop systems." Say what? [i<]That's[/i<] what makes iOS safer?? Well, not entirely: the big reason is that Apple completely controls what you can put on your iPhone through the App Store. OK, there's some logic there, but it's hardly a strength of iOS. The article then goes on to talk about the security value of Apple's closed ecosystem [i<]for four pages[/i<] without ever once talking about any of the other mobile OS'es out there, let alone comparing them. Windows 7 is mentioned in passing, and - get this - the [i<]old[/i<] Blackberry OS. No mention whatsoever of Meego, WebOS, or Symbian, let alone Blackberry OS or QNX. And certainly no discussion of their security features, or comparison of them to iOS. Nope, just four pages of how wonderful iOS security is because is only lets you put Apple-approved code on your phone. I wonder just how many palms were greased to run this shameless piece of crap.

• mutarasector

ROTFLMBFWAO!

It’s real fun to watch the Apple frothy mouthed fanboi faithful go into a near epileptic >FIT< even just mentioning the concept of a ‘Security By Obscurity’ factor of OS-X, even though the recent increase of trojans (Mac Defender & variants) seem to parallel the rise in Mac market share. Hell, Apple even had an initial corporate policy of denial/head-sand burying telling their ‘Geniuses’ to do nothing to help their customers with the problem.

Now Apple basically >affirms< iOS is more secure because “the advantage of attacker psychology — attackers still target smartphones far less than desktop systems.”?!?!

Sounds like a variation on the “SbyO” theme to me. Either that, or a tacitly implied admission that iOS security has yet to be truly ‘tested’.

When will these ‘walled-garden wallflowers’ realize that security is not a one-time expenditure of their ‘best efforts’ at the expense of maintaining their walled-garden ecosystem, thus limiting consumer choices? The best security follows a more dynamic developer community who constantly work on locating/identifying/fixing holes/exploits, and have an open willingness to acknowledge security is an evolving/adaptive process.

Talk about Apple myopia…

• mutarasector

Sorry for the double post folks, but just so it doesn’t go to complete waste, the fanbois can get some more “-1” clicking practice with it. 😉

• Farting Bob

Actually, the OS on my old Nokia 3310 is way more secure. No viruses on that baby!

• kravo

VII. Battlefield 3 system requirements

In my opinion, the estimation on that site is complete BS.
    I´d like to hear the official info about the recommended specs. And I keep my fingers crossed while I´m waiting that the only thing I´ll have to do will be getting a 2nd 560Ti.

• DancinJack

I know this game looks real nice, but why does everyone think it’s just going to be insanely taxing on our PCs? I can’t even imagine them putting out a game (after the Crysis issues) that would require 2 560Ti’s to play how you like. I don’t know what resolution and detail you want to play at, but I can’t imagine this game requiring SLI (specifically 2x560Ti) to be good looking and playable at the same time.

• OneArmedScissor

[url<]http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/recom/na/pc.html[/url<] Do you really think that game needs an i7 and GTX 460 to run at 1280x720 in DX9? Why is all that information so specific, pointing out ridiculously low settings and what just happened to be pretty much top of the line, specific components, at the time of its release? Because these are paid advertisements. Recommended ≠ required.

• potatochobit

I like how you left out the part “in China”

• Palek

Who left it out of what?

• NeelyCam

“X-bit labs: Intel’s latest processors drop sales of discrete GPUs dramatically [b<]in China[/b<]"

• Palek

That does change the weight of the announcement significantly. China may be a huge market for things like low-end cell-phones and cheap televisions, but discrete GPUs? I would like to see a figure for numbers sold, rather than percentages. Somehow I suspect that this “dramatic” sales drop in China accounts to little more than a blip on nVidia’s financials.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Somehow I suspect that this "dramatic" sales drop in China accounts to little more than a blip on nVidia's financials.[/quote<] ... or AMD's financials, But since you only mentioned NVidia, I may have to put you into the "NVidia fan" bucket.

• Palek

[quote<]But since you only mentioned NVidia, I may have to put you into the "NVidia fan" bucket.[/quote<] That's funny. From the article: [quote<][u<]The low-end of Nvidia’s GPUs are hurt[/u<] by Intel’s integrated graphics capability accompanying its “Sandy Bridge” microprocessor systems. Channel inventory in China may be four weeks now for Nvidia GPUs, versus an expected two to three weeks," wrote Michael McConnell, an analyst with Pacific Crest, in a note to clients, reports Tech Trader Daily.[/quote<] See the underlined bit there? That is why I was talking about nVidia specifically. As for your "accusation" of me being an nVidia fan: the last six graphics cards I've owned are: Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X800 Pro, Radeon X1950 Pro, Radeon HD 4670, Radeon HD 5670, Radeon HD 4850. Notice a pattern? 😉

• DancinJack

He used the name of the article. I don’t see the need for the “in China” part in the bread.

• potatochobit

it doesn’t need to be there I wasn’t flaming anyone I was just kidding

• NeelyCam

Incidentally, your “kidding” was pointing to a particularly important detail.

+1 from me

• DancinJack

I wasn’t flaming anyone either. Just expressing my opinion without realizing you were making a joke. The internet is serious bizness.

• yogibbear

I seriously don’t believe Activision about MW3 and dedicated servers. They’re just saying it to stop all the hate mail until they release a demo and people realise there still aren’t dedicated servers and the game is still shit.

• Ethyriel

At this point, I’ve accepted that CoD has gone from a decent series with occasional hits to opiate of the gaming masses. Gaming really has become just like any other media.