Logitech supplants MX518 with G400 gaming mouse

Multitouch gestures may be all the rage, but the mouse is still king, at least for desktops. Over the years, few rodents have been more popular than Logitech’s MX518, which is the company’s best-selling gaming mouse. A lot of folks swear by the MX518 (Newegg has amassed nearly 3,000 five-star reviews for the thing), and now Logitech has a new version on the way.

Dubbed the Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400, the MX518’s successor apes the size, shape, and button layout of its forebear. Under the hood, the MX518’s 1800-DPI optical sensor has been upgraded to a new unit with 3600 DPI of resolution. Logitech claims this sensor maintains the MX518’s tracking consistency, and users will be able to toggle between four DPI presets without the aid of extraneous utilities. However, Logitech software is required to access the mouse’s macro and scripting support.

If you thought the MX518 was a little laggy, you’ll be pleased to know that Logitech has boosted the polling rate from 125Hz to a whopping 1000Hz for the G400. The USB cable has been lightened by 25%, although the mouse itself may be a little heavier. Logitech quotes a weight of 105 grams for the G400, sans cable. The MX518 tips the scales at 106 grams, which presumably includes the cable.

Folks in the US will be able to get their hands on the G400 on June 19. The rest of the world is due to receive the mouse in the middle of July. Thanks to Engadget for the tip.

• ShadowTiger

I trained myself to use 2000 DPI and 1000 Hz all the time with my razer copperhead.

Moving up to a higher DPI sounds awesome… I will certainly shop around once this one dies.

• cybot_x1024

I feel the G9X fits the hand better than the above G400 (MX518 reboot)
    Though i went with the Cyborg RAT7 because i could move the internet back+forward buttons to fit my thumb’s position perfectly when i hold the mouse. Its customisability also allows me to set it up in such a way i can game for much longer hours before my hand gets tired than with the G9X.

• thedosbox

Looks like the return of my old favourite – the MX500. Nice to see they got rid of the gunk inducing glossy surfaces, though it would have been better if they had included the tilt wheel.

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ve gone from a 518 to a g7 to a g500. The G500 is a superior mouse, albeit slightly larger than the 518. Logitech needs to make a hybrid g500/518 using both optical and laser, like razer does, and include tracking pickup height adjustment. Even better if they could make an affordable wireless version. Also, the 518 has a cooler looking surface than the g400. My g500 has a stupid paint coating that wears off with use.

• bill94el

There are some problems with the Setpoint software for the G-Series mice. I only know this because I encountered some problems in LOTRO last night with a G500. I am about ready to go back to my MX518.

[url<]http://tinyurl.com/3djo9qw[/url<] -- Logitech Support Forum

• indeego

Dump setpoint, and all logitech software. It’s all crap. The default drivers in 7 work great.

• willmore

Yes, yes, oh, yes!

• DancinJack

After switching to a Razer mouse ~5 years ago (coming from an MX500) I just can’t go back to Logitech mice. I love how smooth my mouse glides across the surface it’s on. Haven’t had any issues with the cord and it has a clicky scroll wheel along with two buttons on either side for your thumb and ring finger.

e: spelling

• NeXus 6

Looks to be nice upgrade. Anybody else have a problem with the rubber coating wearing off their MX518? Mine is peeling a bit on the right side and near the thumb buttons.

• EndlessSnowfall

I have a six year old MX518 and the rubber is also wearing off underneath the thumb buttons. Other than that, I have been completely satisfied with it, and would buy the new one in a heartbeat.

• Meadows

But does the new sensor still do angle snapping?

• rogojin

I believe two of the most significant positives that make the 518 so popular are:

1. Light weight
    2. Glossy plastic on the palm

These two factors make it easy to palm grip. All subsequent Logitech mice have been worse in these two criteria.
    From the pictures, the G400 doesn’t look much better on the gloss factor.
    Regarding the weight – the MX518 is 106 grams, versus the G400 at 133 grams.

sigh!

• morphine

To each his own. I absolutely loathe any glossy plastic on mice, as I get sweaty palms in a matter of few minutes.

• continuum

Heavier = bad.

I am curious if they’re going to make the scroll wheel tilt or not…

• anotherengineer

I hate the tilt scroll wheel, I find it annoying, because I use the scroll wheel click lots in acad, and the tilt makes it difficult.

Edit – 1 thing I don’t like about my 518’s, I have 2, is with you put them close to your ear you can hear an annoying high pitch whine.

• cybot_x1024

Thought the mouse goes to the mouse pad, not the ear.. LOL! Why on earth would you place your mouse close to your ear?!

• travbrad

Passing out on your desk? 🙂

• Deanjo

Funny I feel the same way when I lick the PCI-e x16 slot.

• Firestarter

I never noticed the whine in years of use, but mine does it as well 😮

• kamikaziechameleon

Build quality isn’t the best but they work. I love how you don’t need any fancy mouse pad or drivers. My rat 9 may win the driver competition but the pure basic functionality and conservative price have always made Logitech a favorite of mine.

• potatochobit

it looks the same…

my mx518 broke long ago so I know have a RAT7

• Meadows

It’s supposed to look the same.

• potatochobit

but I guess since nvidia has been rebranding crap all these years and the people who claim to be ‘tech savvy’ keep buying them I see no reason to change the policy now.
        I bet all the nvidia fanbois gonna love that black on bronze emo look to match their razer mousepads.

incidentally, my MX518, the mouse skates fell off, the paint rubbed off and left a gritty feel all over and the USB wire had connections issues on the front of the mouse (which is a common defect)
        Keep in mind I had the thing less than 2 years. It was a great value mouse years ago but now the field is flooded and there are tons of better ones available.

• Palek

[quote<]really? because the rest of world thinks when you release a new product it should improve on the last model[/quote<] Is it really that hard to work out? The MX518 is the best-selling Logitech gaming mouse. When creating a follow-up product, would you: a) Design a mouse that looks sufficiently different that MX518 users would not associate it with their beloved mouse or b) Craft the follow-up product to inherit the well-received design of the predecessor, making the connection clear to MX518 owners who absolutely love their old mouse? No points for working out which is the better choice.

• Meadows

It’s not rebranded, they changed the hardware.

• stdRaichu

I’m using five MX-518’s just because I love the shape so much, it’s the comfiest mouse I’ve ever used, and nice and light – I buy them for the comfort, not the gamey-ness. I’m damn glad it’s stayed the same shape!

Me too. It’s my most favorite mouse since the MX310 I had about 8 years ago. I went through so many mice in between those two.

No it doesn’t, it doesn’t have the crumpled metal paint job.

• Parallax

Dear Logitech,

Please make a mouse that doesn’t produce a high-pitch whine constantly. Your competitors have been doing it for years.

[url<]http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/[/url<]

• BobbinThreadbare

I was going to say I’ve never heard this, but I put my ear right up to it and what do you know there was a whine.

I can’t hear from even 6″ away, but it is there.

• Forge

Wow. Using my old retiree MX510 at work. Just read about the mouse whine. Held my MX510 up to my ear, and bam, whine. Can heard it from 1-2″ away.

On the other hand, I can only hear it from 1-2″ away. My hearing’s not awesome, but not bad, and I have a hard time imagining a computer room (with >0 operating computers) that would be quiet enough to hear that.

• Forge

Meh. Changed “can be heard” to “can hear it” and got the above messup. Meh!

• morphine

My ultra-sensitive 19Khz radars, er, ears can hear it just fine, but the mouse has to be within 1-2″ as well.

Storm in a teacup. Granted, some specific lots might be a lot more audible than others, but still…

• continuum

I haven’t noticed either, but hell, my ear’s never within 1-2″ of my mouse. :-p

• Parallax

I had a MX518 (which I loved) that had this problem increase over several months to the point where it was easily audible from anywhere in the room. The loudest whine seems to be out-of-range of most people’s hearing, with the additional lower-pitched whine you spoke of being audible only from a few inches away.

Every sample of the MX518 I’ve checked has had this problem, as well as several other Logitech models. I switched to a Razer Imperator that has slightly poorer tracking, but is blissfully silent.

• rndmuser

Meh… I have owned several MX518’s (which were “retired” due to overall wear), I can only hear teh noise if I press my ear against the mouse, otherwise I am never aware of it. Many people have some background “noise” present in their PC rooms, be it either fans (especially during gaming), some online radio streaming or something else (parents/neighbors fucking in next room or children/pets making some annoying attention-seeking noises,etc.), and many people like to use headsets/headphones when using their PCs, so while it might be an issue for some people I don’t see it as a “critical” issue worthy of any major attention.

• willmore

Hey, I never noticed this before. I generally use this mouse in a fairly noisy environment, so that masks it, but it’s clearly audiable if I listen for it. Logitech, pot your inductors–or whatever is doing this.

• Parallax

From the article:

“The source of the noise is a ceramic capacitor on the the mini-PCB of all of these mice.”

“The problem isn’t terribly uncommon – ceramic caps have an awful lot of good qualities. For a number of applications, properly rated ceramic caps are pretty much the ideal choice. The problem is that if there is enough voltage ripple on a ceramic cap, it will physically “ring” (Google for “ceramic capacitor microphonics”). The real kicker here is that whoever designed this for Logitech decided to pulse the wheel encoder LED at 5KHz, and due to the magic of frequency multiplication, we end up with noise at the 3rd harmonic, 15KHz which is high enough to only enough to drive some small fraction of the general population nuts. … If Logitech were to change the sampling frequency up by 20% or more, or change the capacitor type, or just stop pulsing the thing and eat the extra couple mW of power dissipation, this issue would go away.”

• willmore

You mean the piezoelectric effect?

For my mouse “Logitec Anywhere MX”, this sound seems to come from the lasers power supply, too–I do hear some that may be from the optical encoder on the scroll wheel, too. It sounds like the ‘dual-optical squeal’ sound file. Fortunately, it doesn’t bug me or I’d have to dig out my SMT cap collection and fix it. 🙂

• yehuda

Absolutely. This is the first thought that came to mind as I read the title. I went through three MX518s and while they were very comfortable they all whined like a CRT TV.

• Firestarter

My next mouse, I guess.

I never found my MX518 to be laggy. The weakest part of my game is..err…the player. Still, good to know they’re improving the thing. Hopefully it really is an improvement, and hopefully the mouse wheel is of the “clicky” variety and not smooth-scrolling.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think (though I’ve been known to be wrong before) that all Logitech mice use a clicky wheel. Still count me in for hating the mushy wheel.

I have a little Nano-sized mouse with a smooth-scrolling wheel. Makes me feel icky inside.

• Corrado

Just picked up an M705 Marathon Mouse, and also have the MX Performance mouse. Love them both. Logitech makes them some neece meeces.

• albundy

i cant say enough great things about the MX perfomance mouse. The tethering alone is a nice feature nobody really has. I hope they continue with their Darkfield tech cus I cant stand glowing mice. The tracking on any surface is awesome and the thumb switcher is a time saver!

• donkeycrock

Dear logitech,

1. Please make a mouse that doesnt make noise when you mouse click

2. add a ring finger button on the side

3. add 1 more thumb button

• Deanjo

[quote<]1. Please make a mouse that doesnt make noise when you mouse click[/quote<] That is really annoying, it's like playing with a mouse that has a stuck down button.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think you have the exact opposite taste in mice from me.

just based on what he wrote, I think you have good taste in mice.

• morphine

1. NO, just NO. No tactile feedback = bad bad bad bad.
      2. Gets in the way.
      3. See #2.

To each his own 🙂

PS – I think you’re looking for the G500.

• willmore

Uhh, doesn’t tactile mean ‘of or related to the sense of touch’? He’s asking for no *audiable* feedback. I second that. Quiet is good. But, a small tactile response is important.

• morphine

Well you’re correct, I just don’t see tactile feedback and silence going hand in hand that often.

• willmore

But, to be clear, you’re okay with tactile switches that are silent, right?

• Deanjo

Can’t say that I am, like my keyboard I expect to here a click (this is why I buy mechanical keyboards instead of mushboards).

does such a thing exist? Not being sarcastic here..

• willmore

I think so, but I’m not sure. Some while back my father was looking for a silent mouse and google found quite a few. So, the silent part seems to be doable. I don’t know if he got one, so I can’t ask to see if they have good tactile feedback or not. More research is necessary. 🙂

• Flatland_Spider

I don’t think so. The fact that they are mechanical keeps them from being completely silent. I guess you could use fluid to dampen the sound, but that’s a little excessive for a keyboard or mouse.

I have a keyboard with Cherry brown switches, which are supposed to be quiet, and that thing is still too loud to use in the office. It’s quieter then my Model M, but that’s only because the brown switches produce more bass compared to all the treble the Buckling springs in the Model M produce.

• Meadows

2. It’s actually called the “right mouse button”, I don’t know where you came up with this “ring finger” crap. Mice already have right mouse buttons, so better use them, son.

• The Wanderer

Actually, I think he’s referring to a button placed on the right-hand side of the mouse, in position to be pressed by the ring finger when the middle finger is on the right mouse button – i.e., roughly the mirror position of the two “arrow” buttons visible in the article’s picture, which would be pressed by the thumb (“thumb button”s, which he’s also asking for more of).

I don’t think I’d like that sort of button myself, but I can certainly see how a gaming-oriented “I need more buttons to trigger my macros!” person might.

• Meadows

I know exactly what he’s talking about, I was trying to be condescending. What he wants goes against comfortable conventions.

And if he wants more thumb buttons, he should buy Razer’s WoW mouse: [url<]http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.220156700/categoryId.35208800[/url<]

Ah, but those are all thumb buttons. Needs more “ring finger buttons”.

PS: I actually right-click with my middle finger.

• The Wanderer

I do the same thing; offhand, I don’t know of anyone who right-clicks with their ring finger, and based on a quick poll of those within earshot (all one of him) no one else does either.

I have vague memories that once upon a time I may have done such a thing, but if so it was with mice which had either a much larger and less accidental-scroll-prone wheel, or no wheel at all (but a third, central button). I haven’t seen any such mice in some years at least, though.

• Archenemy236

Ninja fapper?

• anotherengineer

+1 I LOL’D

• flip-mode

Dear Logitech,

Make improvements to all of your mice.

Sincerely,

A mouse user.

• indeego

Like the G500 more than the mx518, lack of feet helps tremendously.

One day after I was praising the mx518 to someone at work it kicked the bucket. Murphy’s law. Did love that mouse though.

• BobbinThreadbare

One of the most attractive things about the MX518 is the price. It does everything I want–and does it well–for $35. I see no reason to spend another 20 for the G500. We’ll see what Logitech prices the G400 at.

• Dr_b_

G500 still has better features, a third thumb button and wheel scroll lock/unlock which is really invaluable, a thing missing on the newly minted G400 and MX518.

• guardianl

Dear Logitech,

The G400 looks like a great update to the MX518. You maintained all the things people liked about the mouse, and made some technical improvements that will be much appreciated.

Now how about you revisit the G7 and do the same damn thing, instead of pretending the G700 is somehow related to the G7.

Sincerely,
    A user on their 3rd G7 mouse

• FuturePastNow

And how about an MX1200, while you’re at it, Logitech?

• morphine

Dear user,

We don’t care about the G7. We made it mysteriously vanish from our website and from the market because they all died, usually right after the warranty expired.

Love, Logitech.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

• Palek

My G7 is still alive after about 4 years. Am I in the minority?

• l33t-g4m3r

Yes, the series was recalled. Mine shorted out just from changing the battery.

• Palek

Uh-oh. Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll do some googling.