Nokia intros MeeGo-powered N9 smartphone

While Intel continues to push MeeGo Linux for tablets, Nokia has introduced an all-new smartphone running the OS. Dubbed simply the N9, the device offers a 3.9″ AMOLED display with 854×480 pixels. A curved slab of Gorilla glass provides some protection for the screen, which bubbles up slightly from the phone’s unibody plastic shell. That casing measures 116 x 61 x 12 mm and will be available in several colors. The whole thing weighs just 135 grams.

Under the hood, the N9 features a 1GHz OMAP3630 application processor from Texas Instruments. A gig of RAM is included alongside 16 or 64GB of storage capacity. As one might expect, there are two cameras: one facing the user and a second one with a fancy lens, eight megapixels for stills, and 720p video capture. The 1450 mAh battery doesn’t appear to be user-replaceable, and there’s no SD card slot. At least Nokia tosses in a standard micro USB connector, though. More specifications are detailed in this official blog post.

Perhaps more interesting than the smartphone itself is the operating system and its “Harmattan” interface. Nokia Marketing Manager Jussi Mäkinen walks through the UI in the video embedded above, and it looks like a pretty slick experience to me. The interface is separated into three segments: a social networking aggregator, an application menu that looks like a typical home screen, and a nifty little grid that shows zoomed-out views of everything that’s running. As a Palm Pre user, I’m particularly impressed by the smooth multitasking implementation.

Nokia hasn’t set a price on the N9, but Engadget says it’s coming later this year. The site got some hands-on time with the phone and came away very impressed with not only the responsive UI, but also the screen and overall design.

• cybot_x1024

To date, dropping MeeGo must be the worst decision Nokia has ever made imho

• StuG

If only Nokia would make an Android phone. I would buy it, I would buy the hell out of it!

• MethylONE

phone looks very sharp but I would certainly be wary of getting into hardware like that with a seemingly dying/dead OS

• atryus28

Man this phone looks real nice from the videos but that OS is pretty darn slick. I had an iphone, now have a droid and I would prefer this one over both if the apps and all work out as well as they look.

• Anonymous Coward

“Ooh shiny!”

• Kurotetsu

The multi-tasking and events views look really nice. Hopefully this phone will be priced well (I still can’t afford a decent smartphone).

• MadManOriginal

Screw the price of the phone, I refuse to get a smartphone because of the stupid subsidy model we have in the USA. I’d have no problem paying $500 for a phone if I didn’t have to pay so damn much monthly for service.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m not sure why anyone would want a smartphone without a data plan.

• NeelyCam

His point is that data plans are overpriced, and slapping a $10/mo “texting option for 1000 txt/mo” is another example of a monopoly/pricefixing-induced rip-off.

• BobbinThreadbare

I pay 15 dollars a month for unlimited data, which doesn’t seem overpriced at all.

I also have the fewest amount of minutes and I voluntarily have a texting plan, but I’m not sure I even need it.

• NeelyCam

So, how much is your total monthly bill? How much of it do you think is used to subsidize your phone?

• BobbinThreadbare

My bill is 70, before I had a smart phone it was 55. I had the cheapest phone available then. So I must have been really getting ripped off then.

• Anonymous Coward

I’ve got an N8 without a data plan. Its a fine phone, but I was mostly interested in the camera, which is great, except for an annoying problem with taking pictures while facing relatively strong light sources at certain angles. Also it runs some nice games which I downloaded on a WLAN connection.

Can’t see much purpose to having a data plan except [i<]possibly[/i<] checking email.

• MadManOriginal

I’m not sure how you got that I would want a smart phone without a data plan from my post.

• NeelyCam

So, you have a pay-as-you-go phone then?

• MadManOriginal

Yes, I do.

I don’t have a problem with contracts per se, I have a problem with spending more over a not very long 2-year term because of the stupid subsidy model when compared to other countries where there is no subsidy and you just pay for actual service. I would rather pay a few hundred more upfront and save more than that amount over the contract. (It also helps that in other developed nations there is real competition for service and companies aren’t just allowed to run roughshod with their terms…god bless the capitalist USA!)

• kamikaziechameleon

nokia hasn’t made anything of note in a decade it, or so it feels. I’m happy to see them breaking that trend.

• rxc6

You are right in the “or so it feels” because I remember the N95 quite fondly.

• albundy

my thought on that was because their smartphones were very pricey in comparison to anything and everything else.

• Ricardo Dawkins

N95 still can do a lot of things your iPhone can’t do.

Sent from my Galaxy Vibrant.

• indeego

The iPhone is a great product…on its day of release.

• Skrying

Who wouldn’t want a phone with a dead in the water OS?

• Bauxite

I’m still hoping (against all sanity) theres a hardware keyboard version still on the way, like a N950 or whatever. (where art thou usb host mode and hdmi)

Ma Bell taking over all GSM kind of kills long term provider prospects though.

• rxc6

There is a N950. It is aimed exclusively at developers.

I feel for you, it is a shame that GSM is going to be AT&T only :(.

• End User

It looks fantastic. Why do they need WP7?

• vvas

And yes it looks sleek as fuck, and the black N9 is an object of beauty. It will be a bloody shame if this turns out to be the swan song of Nokia’s Meego effort — and unfortunately, that’s what it looks like is going to happen.

• End User

I’m surprised that Elop let the N9/Meego see the light of day.

• NeelyCam

Probably because of internal politics.

• codedivine

[quote<]Because their CEO is the seventh largest private shareholder of Microsoft. *sigh*[/quote<] That is not true. As per his public declaration, he is not such a big share holder. In any case he has stated that he is required to sell his shares in MS and given a stake in Nokia as per his contract with Nokia.

• dpaus

Still, he was formerly a senior executive at Microsoft. And not too long after he’s hired by Nokia, they abandon their own OS efforts and sign up to offer Windows Phone 7 exclusively. As they say in politics, the optics are distorted.

• kc77

Yep they’re just dumping all development on all other OS’s because WP7 is just that good. /s