$50 Thermaltake case sports enthusiast goodies aplenty

Budget enthusiast cases are just getting nicer and nicer, it seems. Thermaltake’s new Commander MS-I is the latest enclosure to further the trend, with enthusiast amenities up the wazoo despite an asking price of just $49.99.

Let’s see what we have here: a window, a bottom-mounted PSU area, a black-tinted motherboard tray with cut-outs for cable management and behind the CPU socket, support for graphics cards as long as 12.5", a 120-mm LED fan at the back, and a multitude of tool-less drive bays. Three 5.25" bays and one 3.5" bay face the outside of the case, while an additional five 3.5" bays and one 2.5" bay can play host to your hard drives and SSDs.

Out-of-the-box cooling is admittedly somewhat spartan, especially since the lone 120-mm exhaust fan is supposed to spin at just 1,000 RPM. That said, there’s plenty of room for extra ventilation—the MS-I can accommodate top, front, and bottom 120-mm fans. Other perks include USB 3.0 connectivity, which Thermaltake only offers on one of the two variants of this case.

• Arclight

Oh Thermaltake, you’re case is holding it wrong (by it i mean HDD).

I doubt the fact that someone that will buy this case will have the budget to go only with SSD and no HDDs, thus the lack of HDD antivibration caddies+the orientation (is it 1999?) is very unfortunate. I would not recommend this case to anyone. Thermaltake has yet to impress me with their budget cases.

• indeego

They should stop including 5.25″ bays. They are fairly archaic. All my CD/DVD’s are on flash drives now.

Not going to happen until you can buy software at retail on a USB drive.

• Corrado

I’m fine with 1 5.25″ bay. Other than a hard drive caddy, what the hell do you use more than 1 for? Who copies CDs anymore?

And even then, you don’t need 2 drives to copy a CD. :p

Still, you do need a minimum of one in every desktop case except for possibly a nettop.

• NeXus 6

I still need one for installing older games I have on CD/DVD. Also, I’ve got stuff backed up on CD/DVD and have been too lazy to transfer it.

• travbrad

Flash drives are still waaaay more expensive than DVDs. The cheapest flash drives are about $1/GB, while DVD+R are about $0.05/GB (ie, 1/20th the cost). If you are going to transfer CD/DVDs on to something a HDD (whether external or internal) would be a vastly more cost effective and higher performing solution.

A lot of people still watch movies on DVD/Blu-ray too (streaming has lower quality and eats up bandwidth which is being capped more and more by ISPs). Most software still comes on DVD too, although I get most of mine online (I did buy BFBC2 using a walmart gift card though).

3 bays is seriously overkill although I’m not sure what else there is to do with that space. It has room for 6 hard drives already. Front fan maybe?

• jpostel

I stopped including DVD drives in my home builds a couple years ago. I have an external DVD drive that I use during install and I have all my software on my server.

I do have a BD and DVD drives on my desktop for ripping, and I have a BD drive in my HTPC in the living room for when the kids just can’t wait for the disc to be ripped.

• Malphas

It wouldn’t really save much space by doing away with all the 5.25″ bays completely anyway, they are a bit of an eyesore on the front panel though (although 99% of enthusiast cases look juvenile and ugly anyway). My ideal case would probably just have one 5.25″ bay for a Blu-Ray DVD-RW and nothing else.

• entropy13

So it’s just a slightly better V4 (my case).

• Oldtech

The insides look identical to the low price Antec line. Matter of fact, except for the front, the whole thing looks like a rebaged Antec.

• audioman83

“Cheaper Antec!” [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322020&cm_re=11-322-_-11-322-020-_-Product/<]You should see this newegg item![/url<] Better case, only 35Bucks to you door. And it isn't as ugly.

• Farting Bob

Internally its looks a great case. Nice and open, bottom mounted PSU etc. Outside though its still aiming itself at the 16 year old crowd. Not terrible, but not good certainly.

• UberGerbil

Exactly: All it lacks is faux carbon fiber and a Type R sticker.

• HotRods442

I kinda agree, It’s not the best looking case by any means, but not horrible either. I boght a Dokker the other day and really like it, compared to the crappy Raid Max case it replaced. It runs 17c cooler than before, which is impressive in and of itself, given the fact that no other changes were made, other than thoroughly cleaning all the hardware as it was being transferred.

• bdwilcox

Fugly.

• puppetworx

At first I was like ‘Eww’ but after a second look it has kind of a bulky, retro-futuristic character to it. Given it’s feature sets it’s a nice budget build choice if you don’t mind looking a bit different

• floodo1

I concur. Rather have this than the typical box with no aesthetics other than minimalist.
      I’ve seen MUCH worse….just browse around on the egg.
      Seriously, if I was building another cheap box and I didn’t go for a case with a power supply this would be tops on my list 🙂

• Duck

For people with more money than taste (and not very much money).

• FuturePastNow

For people with even less taste than money.

• Duck

For people that get stuck with this case after someone else buys it for them as a gift.

• Steel

The [url=http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001579<]one I got[/url<] is a little less wierd looking and a bit cheaper. It lacks the USB 3 ports, though.