Report: Serious gamers spend more time on PC than consoles

During March and May, research firm Newzoo surveyed over 20,000 gamers from a range of countries. The results have been tabulated in an official report available only to paying customers, but some detail have been released in a series of infographs. The data is sorted based on platform, and most of the categories make sense. Oddly, though, MMOs are treated as their own platform, just like games for mobile phones or consoles.

Based on the data, Newzoo estimates that US consumers will spend $21.6 billion on games in 2011. Most of that ($8 billion) will go to console titles, but the PC isn’t far behind. Combining categories for retail-boxed and downloaded games pegs the PC gaming market at $4.3 billion. MMOs, which are primarily played on the PC (thanks, World of Warcraft), are good for another $2.6 billion, bringing the total to $6.9 billion. Mobile, casual, and social-networking games are expected to rake in slightly less: $6.7 billion combined.

Perhaps the most interesting statistic relates to the amount of time gamers spend with each platform. Of the 215 million hours that Americans devote to playing games, only 19% is in front of a console. PC games, which do not include what Newzoo deems to be casual titles, account for 18%. MMOs are responsible for 12%, suggesting that serious gamers spend more time on the PC than any other platform. Rock, Paper, Shotgun gets the credit for pointing me to this one.

• ThorAxe

This is more great news for PC Gaming but most of us already knew this.

• willmore

I remember friends ‘dropping out’ because they got caught up in MUDs. But, that was back in the stone age. I’m sure todays college student is too mature to be caught in that kind of pitfall.

• BobbinThreadbare

What I find most interesting is that that must be all 3 major consoles combined. So just boxed and downloaded games on PC should be bigger than any one console.

• swaaye

What about the people who only play one or two MMOs for years on end, but spend a zillion hours playing them? 😉

• swaaye

I’m pretty sure I remember a few bailing due to Counterstrike and probably Diablo 2 yes. Although I know some guys that played Diablo 2 for insane amounts of time for years and still got through their engineering degrees just fine. Daily D2 runs. Ack I never understood that stuff.

The MMO scourge (arrival of WoW) didn’t happen until I was out of school.

• burntham77

That is no jack.

• burntham77

A casual gamer could be someone who buys one game, like Madden or Call of Duty, and just plays that. Serious gamers try all sorts of games. At least, that’s how I would define it.

• ET3D

The Sims probably makes a significant part of PC games sales. 🙂

• willmore

It got its own category, so I would guess that it didn’t skew it.

Of 219 million hours:
    19% Console
    18% PC
    12% MMO

So, unless you want to combine PC and MMO and then call it skewed…

• wobbles-grogan

Im not in a boycott group and still have never played it.
    Nor have I played any since MW1 for that matter. How many have there been? I’ve lost count…

• yogibbear

I got to “having” and stopped reading… hm… hungry/

• yogibbear

I’m in a boycott MW2 group and I’ve never played it. Don’t be such a generalist.

• lilbuddhaman

DLC is the new DRM, and we’ve long since lost the DLC battle. (in part by modding tools going the way of the Dodo)

• travbrad

I died on the inside every time I played Halo, does that count?

• MadManOriginal

Report: Sherlock finds no feces in latest investigation.

• l33t-g4m3r

Meanwhile, PC gamers still get shafted with shitty ports. As long as we continue buying bad ports and poor sequels, I don’t see any reason why PC gamers deserve any respect. We put just as much money into gaming as consoles, but don’t leverage the extra knowledge available to us via the internet. Reading reviews and organizing a boycott of a poor game shouldn’t be all that difficult, but every time a game comes up that we definitely should not be purchasing, a giant mass of retards still buys the game. Look at how many steam groups formed for the specific purpose of a boycott, but then went and purchased the game at full price regardless. Idiots. Have some self-control, and we’ll start forcing the companies to make better games, perhaps even eliminate drm.

• Squeazle

I have to say, it’s more the person than the game if they failed because of Halo.

• Corrado

I don’t think anyone every died playing Halo. More than a few people have died playing MMORPGs.

• Buzzard44

One of my close friends failed out due to a combination of Diablo 2 and Halo, and you can take that to the bank.

• Farting Bob

[quote<]Based on the data, Newzoo estimates that US consumers will spend $21.6 billion on games in 2011. Most of that ($8 billion) will go to console titles, but the PC isn't far behind.[/quote<] I know what you mean by that, but most isnt the right word, it implies that more than half of the 21.6bn total is console revenue. Its sad that mobile, facebook and flash games already make as much money as PC games (give or take a few percent). With PC games probably needing more initial capital to make, and a fair bit more in maintenance (particualrly if multiplayer part), its no wonder even great PC-centric developers are more likely to make iphone games.

• Malphas

You could, but they’d almost all be BS.

• Skrying

I could just as easily tell you the countless stories I’ve heard of kids failing out of college because they play Halo nonstop.

• Corrado

I’d imagine that WoW and other MMO’s skew the ‘time spent’ data. Almost no one spends all their waking hours playing a console, but there are PLENTY of anecdotes of people quitting (or getting fired) their jobs and playing WoW full time.

• lilbuddhaman

I wonder why “console games” is an all inclusive thing, whereas computer games are split into boxed, downloaded, and MMO. (i can understand where social networking and casual websites would be different).

Combining the three puts Computer Games at 7.1 bil vs Console’s 8 bil. Not so different.

• lilbuddhaman

Having a greater than 5 second attention span for starters.

• boing

Um, what’s the definition of a “serious” gamer? And how does it differ from its opposite? (which I guess is a “casual” gamer)

• Meadows

Report: Captain Obvious known to exclaim common knowledge

• homerdog

[quote<]Based on the data, Newzoo estimates that US consumers will spend $21.6 billion on games in 2011. Most of that ($8 billion) will go to console titles[/quote<] 8 is not most of 21.6, but I think I know what you're trying to say.

Share this post with your friends!