Gateway laptop crams 14” display into 13” chassis

Makers of notebook PCs aren’t often adventurous—unless aping the latest Apple design counts—but Gateway has gone a little out there with its new ID47 notebook. Announced earlier today, the machine purportedly fits a “14-inch HD widescreen back-lit LED display with full edge-to-edge glass into a chassis typically used for smaller 13.3-inch models.”

The ID47 actually measures 12.97″ x 8.95″ x 0.85-1.13″, so that indeed makes it comparable in size to 13″ notebooks we’ve tested, like the Asus U33Jc. As you might expect, that arrangement leaves very little room for a bezel, and the ID47 comes off looking rather unusual:

Internally, Gateway says it’s outfitting the ID47 with second-generation Core processors (Sandy Bridge, in other words), USB 3.0 connectivity, a DVD drive, Dolby Home Theater v4 audio, and a battery rated for up to eight hours of run time. Laptop Magazine reports the base $699 config has a 2.3GHz Core i5-2410M, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, 500GB of 5,400-RPM mechanical storage, and a six-cell battery. Gateway unfortunately opted for a 1366×768 LCD panel, so the extra physical real estate doesn’t count for much—unless you’re one of those folks who likes watching movies on their laptops, I suppose.

I’ve gotta say, I’m quite partial to the ultra-slim bezel and large LCD panel. There’s something very futuristic about it. Provided the design doesn’t have tradeoffs as far as image and build quality are concerned, I wouldn’t mind seeing more notebook makers follow in Gateway’s footsteps. Higher display resolutions would be nice, though.

• ronch

This could win a few design accolades (but not from me though… it’s something an Apple fanboi could love, but I’m not one such individual), but that silver keyboard isn’t gonna look very pretty after a while.

• bluepiranha

That bezel is THIN.

Which leads me to my question: Where’s the WiFi antenna on this laptop? I thought one benefit to the bezel was that it gave laptop makers a place to hide two WiFi antennas to mitigate polarization issues.

[url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/571-24-wi-fi-beamforming-networking.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/571-25-wi-fi-beamforming-networking.html[/url<] [url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/571-26-wi-fi-beamforming-networking.html[/url<] Or maybe I'm wrong...

• UberGerbil

The antennas (there can even be 3, for 3×3 MIMO) are thin and can be run/painted anywhere behind the screen (just like in cellphones)

• LaChupacabra

That thing is gorgeous. But why on earth is the trackpad off center?

• UberGerbil

It’s centered beneath the home keys. ie, it’s centered under the typing keys on the keyboard, but the keyboard has extra non-typing keys (and extra-wide keys) off to the right.

• ronch

A lot of laptops today don’t have the touch pads dead center as well. Whatever their reason, I don’t know. Not a fan of it either.

• SPOOFE

A lot of 15.6″ laptops have also started incorporating the numeric keypad on the right hand side of the keyboard, as well. I noticed it when my buddy bought the year-updated model of laptop from mine, and that was the principle difference that made up his mind at the time, and I’ve been seein’ ’em crop up more regularly.

• Antias

Up the resolution (IPS please), swap HDD for 7200rpm, throw in a mid-range graphics chip (or Llana A8? – hmmm, difficult choice here), & drop the DVD Drive for a bigger battery… you’d have built the almost perfect laptop…
    (as long as that screen won’t crack with flex… that worries me…)

• UberGerbil

I’d rather all “stock” configurations include the cheapest HD possible so I can choose my own upgrade. (If mfrs offered higher-performance SSDs and HDs with no added markup I would agree with you, but they generally don’t.) It would be nice if the optical was modular, so you could swap in a battery or nothing at all for lower weight. The SB integrated graphics are perfectly fine for non-gaming uses, which is fine with me; if you care about gaming, you probably want a PVA (or even quality TN) rather than IPS screen (and the extra cost) anyway. I have a (much) bigger problem with the inevitable OMGlossy screen and what is probably a sub-par keyboard (in actual use — it looks great in the pictures).

What you’ve described would be a fine machine, but (IPS + discrete graphics + faster HD) is going to be closer to $1000 than $700

• Antias

Damn it Uber – your generally thought-provokingly right 🙂

Cheaper to change over to better HDD/SSD yourself… and midrange gaming was what i was aiming for “on the move”… (at least for myself who travels tonnes for both work and pleasure)

Having a swappable DVD/battery – bay I forgot about that option from years gone by… that actually would be perfect in this situation…

• esterhasz

The good thing about Dell used to be that you could actually decide on those matters yourself. I had a m1330 a couple of years ago and it came with or without dedicated graphics (I distinctly don’t want dedicated graphics in my laptop), with LED or CCFL, etc.

It’s pretty complicated logistics I guess and they have a lot less options now, except for some of the “pro” models.

• UberGerbil

The business lines at the major OEMs still tend to have those options, though at a price (and often slow to adopt new components / features as well). They’re also rarely anything that would be considered “stylish.”

• Zenphic

Looks good to me. Smart design!

• Deanjo

Lol, love the marketing on audio on notebooks with their “premium sound”. From the link in the article,

[quote<]Above the keyboard is a swooping speaker that’s powered by Dolby Audio. But this thin-and-light has more than just audio oomph.[/quote<] No matter how "premium" the sound system is on these things they all still sound like tin can crap speakers. I swear my old 1980 flavored AM Ratshack portable radio has more audio fidelity then any laptop.

• SPOOFE

Some tin can crap speakers can be heard from four feet away, some can’t. I don’t expect miracles, but tiny speakers have been able to project for a long time.

• pdjblum

Why does there always have to be a giant catch? It is so frustrating. So many companies do it over and over again, seemingly oblivious to the obvious. The larger screen is a thing of wonderful ingenuity and vision, yet they are unwilling to do it right, which they simply could have done by making it 1080p.

• UberGerbil

Thereby missing their pricepoint. Though I wish more consumer notebooks offered higher res and non-gloss as an added-price option.

• OneArmedScissor

Most HP Pavillions have a 1080p, anti-glare option, but hell if I know if they’re actually built well.

Hell, even 1600×900 would have been nice.

• UberGerbil

The bezel provides structural rigidity and a place to hide the edge-lighting. Both of those can be handled in other ways, but they tend to be more costly and increase the thickness of the screen. It’ll be interesting to see how the real-world impressions shape up — does the screen flex? How even is the lighting?

• cybot_x1024

EYEFINITY! 😀

• Deanjo

I’d hate to bump the edge of that thing.

• ludi

*KAAAAHHHRRRAAAAK…*
      *tinkle-clinkle-tinkle-clinkle-clink*

“Hello, Gateway Warranty Services? Uhm…yeah…it was like that in the box. Must be one of them multi-ultrasonic permanastatic stress fractures we’ve been hearing so much about lately. And, uh, the warranty doesn’t exclude that kind of defect, so…”

• Deanjo

My thoughts exactly or “No, no, no I didn’t drop or bang it, must of been from thermal expansion/contraction”.

• Rakhmaninov3

Reminds me of how some MacBook screens randomly shattered overnight while the computer wasn’t in use and how Apple refused to replace them, back in the day. Haven’t heard of anything like that happening lately, though.

• SomeOtherGeek

Now, that is the way a laptop is to be made.

Just need to up the res… Is it really that hard?

• Deanjo

Hell they have a hard enough time putting together a desktop flatpanel that does > 1920×1080 that is reasonably priced. We are stuck in a TV panel rutt now days.

• ew

Drop the DVD drive and up the screen resolution and watch how fast my wallet opens!

• cfroese

I foresee many, many finger prints on the display. That’s what the bezel is for on a laptop, providing a way to open it. However, I still like the look.

• Farting Bob

No the bezel is just a way for them to keep the screen from snapping, and hiding circuitry etc in it rather than making the laptop fatter by having everything stacked behind the screen.
      its not there just so you dont get smudges on it.

• Skrying

Hmm. There must be a reason why such a design hasn’t appeared except in a $700 laptop.

• Malphas

I don’t get your point, $700 is mid range.

• Skrying

Ultra thin bezels have been a widely held desire for some time. I would expect a good implementation of them to have shown up in a more expensive model before appearing in a run of the mill Gateway model. I’ll reserve final judgement until reviews but I would guess there’s been some significant sacrifice in order to make this possible within the target price.

The first “sacrifice” I see right off the bat is the lack of a webcam. I have no need for one – and alot of folks don’t, I’m sure – but it seems to be an “important” selling feature nowadays. Everyone thinks they’re going to broadcast themselves on the You Tube.

• Cyril

Looks like there is a webcam. See the high-res photo here:

[url<]https://techreport.com/gallery/index.x?id=21254&image=51711[/url<] I'm not sure how that works, though... it looks too low to be above the LCD panel. Maybe it peers through the panel somehow?

• Skrying

Hmm. That is less than ideal but it’s kind of incredible they included a webcam if the case.

oh…uhm…weird?

• indeego

nah. nevermind.

• green

it almost looks like a defect (given these are marketing images after all)

i’ve been wondering why we haven’t had cameras sensors small enough that it can exploit the ‘gaps’ between pixels (or groups of subipixels), use feedback from the graphics / display to determine what sub-pixels were active during frame capture, then adjust colors accordingly to correct for possible color distortion. if you expect us to look into a camera while also looking at the display, why not find a way to put the camera behind the display so it looks more natural?

• End User

$700 is in the low range.

• Skrying

Eh… the last three laptops I’ve bought have all been over $1300 but I would say $550 and lower range is the low end. People buying around $700 are expecting a bit more out of their computer than just a lackluster Internet browser.

• Ethyriel

Fujitsu started doing this years ago, but unfortunately not until they started falling off a cliff in build, screen, and keyboard quality.

Not that thin, but at the time, they were fitting 14″ displays into 13.3″ laptops, or some such.

DAHBLE POEST!

• swaaye

MUENSTER KIHL!

If we start seeing desktop displays with bezels like this, I think you might start seeing Eyefinity becoming more popular.

• dpaus

Glossy screen?

• UberGerbil

Almost certainly. And TN too, though that doesn’t matter as much at low res (and there are decent — not good, but decent — TN screens around, though the cheaper machines often sport the crappy ones).

I agree with some of the other comments: this would be a lot more interesting if it was, say, 1600×900 (or a full 1080, but that’s pretty unlikely)

• SnowboardingTobi

I like the look provided it’s structurally ok.

I don’t like the resolution. bah. Higher res, please.

And it’s probably a TN panel. bleh

• sweatshopking