IDC: Apple now third-biggest U.S. PC vendor after HP, Dell

Apple isn’t doing too badly for itself these days—sales of iPads are booming, the iPhone is as popular as ever, and Mac sales continue to outgrow the overall PC industry quarter after quarter. It’s no wonder, then, that IDC’s market share data for the past quarter show that Apple is now the third-biggest PC vendor in the United States.

IDC pegs Apple’s share of U.S. PC shipments at 10.7%, well behind HP’s 26.3% and Dell’s 22.2% but a fair margin ahead of Toshiba’s 9.1%. Acer is stuck in fifth place with just 8.5% of shipments. That’s quite a reversal from the same quarter a year back, when Acer held the third spot on the podium with a 10.9% market share, and Apple was fifth with only 9%.

Of course, Apple’s good fortunes at home haven’t made it any less marginal internationally. The Mac maker isn’t even in the global top five, which is made up of HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and Asus. (Incidentally, IDC points out that Asus has knocked Toshiba out of fifth place in the global rankings.  Acer has also lost some ground, dropping from third to fourth place.)

Looking at the PC market as a whole, IDC recorded a rather modest 2.6% rise in PC shipments for the second quarter of the year. The research firm points to a number of factors for the sluggish growth, including “competition from smartphones, other consumer products and pressure from lackluster economic conditions.” As usual, growth is slower in “mature” markets like the U.S. and western Europe than in “emerging” regions like Latin America and Asia-Pacific nations other than Japan.

• Dr. Zhivago

Are they counting iPads as “PC’s”? There’s no way Apple is selling that many laptops or Mac Pros.

• trackerben

Are they counting MacOS notebooks and desktops as PCs? What would Microsoft say?

• Dr. Zhivago

I consider a Mac to be a PC. It’s running Intel hardware, just with a different OS. I wouldn’t consider an iPad to be a PC.

• trackerben

If you go by the concept of a PC by Microsoft then it’s PC vs. Mac:
          [url<]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare/pc-vs-mac[/url<] For the concept of a PC by Apple: [url<]http://www.apple.com/why-mac/[/url<] If you go for the more general idea of a PC as a general-purpose Personal Computer, which is closer to my current view, then wikipedia has this entry: "...A personal computer may be a desktop computer or a laptop, tablet PC, or a handheld PC..." [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer...[/url<]" Technically Macs and PCs are mostly of the same industry standards but for firmware and software ecosystem. This traditional view which includes earlier 16-bit and up hardware has been useful for decades. But it now makes sense to add tablets (or at least those with with sizeable screens) to the definition given that some come with keyboards and touchpad docks which allow them to be physically and functionally almost indistinguishable from traditional notebooks. Mind you, the earliest IBM PCs didn't even have a pointing device nor audio, and sported screens not even in the same league as my cheap phone, let alone the iPad.

• End User

They are not counting iPads.

“Excluding iPads, Apple is very close to being 5th largest global PC vendor. Global share likely to be above 5%. Including iPads, Apple would be 2nd.”

[url<]http://goo.gl/zxmf7[/url<]

• Dr. Zhivago

Thanks for the clarification. Well, this would explain why I’m seeing so many of these things at work now. I work in the entertainment industry, and there has always been a lot of Macs in that environment. I’m still surprised by these numbers.

• End User

According to USA Today Apple is “…the fastest-growing major retailer in terms of sales growth in the U.S.”

[url<]http://goo.gl/57Hf4[/url<]

• aschiro

I used Gartner data for overall world-wide PC market and merged it with Mac and iPad data from Apple. Android data is estimated.

• adisor19

Has the TR crowd suddenly matured overnight ? I just went through all the comments all pumped up looking for some flame bait to my surprise i couldn’t find anything even remotely close to that..

Bravo you guys/gals ! Maybe i can hang around here a little more often 🙂

Adi

apple sucks.

Give it a rest.

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

• ThorAxe

I guess Apple can always rely on the left hand side of the IQ bell curve for their sales. What self-respecting geek would even consider buying a Mac unless they were half the price of a PC??

• End User

What self-respecting geek has just has one computer or uses just one OS?

• ThorAxe

I have 6 PCs and a laptop. I don’t see how that is relevant to buying an over-priced inferior Apple product?

• Beelzebubba9

It’s funny how Apple’s computers tend to land at or near the top of PC World/Consumer Reports/etc’s objective rankings but Wintel fanboys just can’t give them credit for that. I certainly don’t think there’s any such thing as a ‘best’ computer because people’s needs and budgets vary so much, but it’s silly to ignore the objective qualities of product entirely because of the label on it.

I have no use for Apple’s desktops (I have an overclocked i7 920/Crossfire rig), but I’ve been using their laptops exclusively since the Intel transition and they’re fantastic. Contrary to the needless fanboyism, a wise geek buys the best product for their needs, and Apple’s focus on build quality, form factor, battery life and screen quality makes their laptops worth the price premium over cheaper Windows based machines for my uses. Not that you can’t get a Windows laptop with similar features, but they tend to cost nearly as much anyway.

• sweatshopking

well, first a few things:

I don’t know who actually agrees with consumer reports. when they say “iphone has antenna issues”, the mac boys lose their minds and call them biased. When the say “the white iphone is thicker” same thing. When the they say “macs are reasonable from a value perspective, and the hardware is decent” mac boys say “yea, that CR is alright by me!”, and the PC boys are whining.

My point is just that nobody is happy with anything, and it’s a subjective situation. I’d never buy a BMW, even if i had the money in the bank. it’s simply not what i want. I’m about cheap, and mac’s simply aren’t. I just bought a tecra, with an i3, 4gb of ram, matte screen, 13 inch, 8 hour of real battery life, and a 3 year warranty, and it cost me $599, including the warranty, and shipping. sure, macs are solid hardware, and the track pad’s are better. no question. I’m just not going to pay double for them, with a shorter warranty. [i<] Are [/i<] there pc's that fall into that same category? sure, but i won't buy them either. I stick with PC's because they actually [i<] sell [/i<] products in the price range i'm in. You say a wise geek buys the best product, sure. but it's got to be in budget, and my computing budget is not 1k+.

• End User

So we can put this “apple sucks” thing behind us?

Which Tecra did you buy?

• sweatshopking

apple sucks was clearly sarcasm (i thought, anyway). I don’t remember which model number, and it’s all the way upstairs…. i might check later….

but it has a magnesium case, none of this lame plastic or aluminum junk. [i<] Magnesium [/i<] edit, kind of funny, my apple sucks comment was a joke, but +7 might be one of my highest rated posts ever!

• End User

You don’t remember the model number?

correct.

I am appalled!

• sweatshopking

i know. and i keep checking this reply without being near it.

• ThorAxe

It’s great to hear that you like your Intel, Gigabyte/Asus, nVidia/AMD, Foxconn etc.. call me Apple laptop. 🙂

I have a Dell U2711, it uses the same LG panel as the Apple Display Cinema but the Dell (at least according to the reviews I read) has better image quality. The Dell monitor cost me $500 AUD LESS than the Apple monitor.

Apple do make some good stuff (or should I say Foxconn), I love my iPod Touch, but they often charge waay too much for what you get.

Flame retardant on. 🙂

• WaltC

Beat me to it….;) J/K….sort of. But, I am pleased to see that TR pointed out that when total global sales are tallied, including the US, Apple doesn’t even make the top 5 vendors. Usually, in the Apple mania that ensues, “little” details like that are completely ignored.

It does point out some obvious bias, however, because the headline should have been something on the order of:

[quote<] HP Once Again Top Seller both Internationally and in the Contracting US Market[/quote<] That seems to make a lot more sense than spinning the distant 3rd-place vendor in US, whose sales were so low that it did not even place in the top five Internationally (which results include sales not only for the US but for everywhere else, too.) I've often wondered, too, why these tabulating firms like IDC don't do a country-by-country breakdown. I mean, why not show us the numbers for France, or for England, or Russia or Poland, China, India, etc--instead of the US, or at least [i<]in addition[/i<] to the US? Would it be because in countries outside of the US, Apple does very poorly indeed? I don't know if it's bias, of course, but even in a contracting market in the US, HP [i<] way more than doubled[/i<] what Apple sold in the quarter--HP sold 4,692,000 machines to Apple's 1,917,000 machines-- but it is Apple who gets the headline. Go figure. Internationally, when the US results are added to the results everywhere else, HP sold a whopping 15,263,000 machines in the quarter--but we don't know what Apple sold in the same quarter because Apple's sales numbers were not high enough to place it in the top five vendors. All we can say for sure is that Apple's sales in the US and abroad totaled less than 4,468,000 machines in the quarter, because that's what #5 Asus sold in the quarter, according to IDC. Apple, again, doesn't even make the chart. It's amusing, but by the reactions in this thread, and by the title of this piece, you'd surely think that Apple outsold HP > 2x1 in the quarter, and that it was Apple, not HP, in the number 1 sales spot by a very wide margin. I'm really weary of the Apple-centric fanboy reporting I'm seeing lately (and I don't mean by TR--it's virtually everywhere, and as usual it makes almost no sense at all.) I so wish we could just get back to the facts and let the editorials develop where they may.

• End User

The big story for me is growth:

“Platform year-on-year growth was Windows: +1.3%, OS X: +26%, iOS: +170%.”

“In Q2 2011 one million more Windows PCs were sold than in Q2 2010. In same time, 903k more OS X PCs and 5.5 million more iPads.”

“Excluding tablets, nearly 50% of the global PC growth was due to the Mac. Including iPad, Apple was responsible for ~70% of the growth in the PC market in Q2.”

Apple is very close to the number 5 position in global PC sales. If you factor in the iPad they are number 2 in the world.

[url<]http://goo.gl/hxYE2[/url<] Oh, and be prepared for the avalanche of Apple news on July 19/20 [url<]http://goo.gl/CKqc4[/url<]

• BobbinThreadbare

You just can’t resist poking the hornets nest can you?

• adisor19

Hell no ! 😀

It wouldn’t be fun otherwise heheh

Adi

• Synchromesh

While I’m not an Apple zombie I’m glad they knocked Acer out of their spot. Every Acer machine with exception of a few netbooks were total crap. Ditto for Toshiba.

• Corrado

The only Acer machines worth a damn are the Timelines. Although my I got my dad a low end Aspire 2 years ago thats still in remarkably good shape and runs very well.

• SHOES

Sad that your dad is the exception and not the rule.. Everyone has a bad run now and again but acer seems to have pretty high failure rates compared to most in my experience.

• sweatshopking

the timelines are some of the best systems on the market, regardless of the manufacturer.

• dpaus

Am I the only one who finds HP’s website virtually impossible to use to custom-build/order a system, at least, compared to Dell’s? Just imagine what their market share would be like if they just addressed that…

The site is relatively easy to use, but what really blows my mind is that if you look at Newegg and Amazon, you’ve got a pretty good shot at getting really close to what you’d build-to-order on HP’s site for much less money. One thing Apple has going for it is that Mac reseller prices are right in line with their own.

• indeego

I’ve been complaining about HP’s site for over a decade, it really is shameful and inexcusable.

It matches the design of their user interfaces perfectly, however.

• jpostel

Searching for models is a little better now (partsurfer.hp.com), but all those ABA and whatever was insane. We used to run into problems with “custom” models that had a different part number than the “core product” part number: e.g. I could buy an HP business laptop from CDW and then not find the part number on the website because it was a “custom” part number that CDW would then configure with the RAM and HD that you wanted.

• Corrado

Their main page is awful. Luckily I don’t deal with it much past clicking ‘Drivers and Support’ to support my Blade servers. They are similarly awful though.

• deinabog

Mac towers are still expensive compared to similarly-configured Windows machines. I will concede that they look good though.

• Deanjo

Not really, if you actually start matching part to part with the same hardware on their base systems they are usually pretty close in price to what you can configure another brand name servers for.

• Scrotos

Maybe he doesn’t know the mac towers use Xeon CPUs and dual-socket motherboards. You’ll get it in the pants for the RAM and hard drives, sure, but like Deanjo says you’ll find the same with Dell and HP and whatnot.

• bdwilcox

Most people need a Xeon as much as they need quad cores.

• glynor

[quote<]Most people need a Xeon as much as they need quad cores.[/quote<] The Mac Pro isn't [i<]for[/i<] most people.

• sweatshopking

a mac pro is a waste of money. it has nothing to do with xeon’s vs i’s. they’re simply over priced. Have you noticed they’re closing the server branch? there’s a reason for it. mac laptops sell, because people will pay for a brand logo other people will see when they carry it around, but a tower goes nowhere, and you can’t justify paying way more money for a logo no one will see. as for the “mac’s a better hardware!!! look at the trackpads!!!” argument, it’s dumb. there are no trackpads in a tower. they’re simply overpriced, even when compared to a xeon based pc.

• End User

A Mac Pro is not a waste of money to someone who needs beefy a OS X workstation.

Mac Pros are competitively priced. I recently built a dual Xeon X5650 rig and it was definitely in Mac Pro pricing territory.

For more and more consumers Apple’s product are just flat out better.

Lion killed the mouse as far as I am concerned. Apple’s trackpads are awesome (and yes, the Magic Trackpad works with a Mac Pro). I hope Synaptec hits one out of the park with their ClickPad as trackpads on current PC laptops totally suck.

• sweatshopking

YOU SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD BUY THAT HORRIBLE DESK TRACK PAD AND USE IT RATHER THAN A MOUSE? if so, then you REALLY are nuts.

• Corrado

For normal use, the MagicTrackpad is really really great. For doing CAD or Photoshop work… it is not.

• End User

The Magic Trackpad really is awesome. It has transformed how I use my Mac.

I’m holding off on an ultrabook (Ubuntu) until one ships with a Synaptic ClickPad. Multitouch on a large trackpad (with no visible buttons) is definitely the way to go.

• sweatshopking

on a desktop? Sorry bros, that’s something i simply can’t get behind. trackpads, and “magic” trackpads are still a punishment.

Lion + Magic Trackpad + 27″ iMac = bliss

• sweatshopking

maybe if you add some LSD, because that’s goin to be annoying as F, and i’m going to have to be somewhere else to use that…

Annoying for you. Super awesome for me. 😛

• Corrado

If you haven’t used one, don’t knock it. It seems the only people that HATE it are the ones that have never really tried it.

• sweatshopking

that makes no sense. I’ve USED trackpads. I hate them. them simply being larger isn’t going to remove that dislike. they’re annoying. I [i<] like [/i<] my mouse, and don't like trackpads. I just don't think they're as accurate. Hon on a trackpad? nope. maybe civ v, but not much else.

• End User

Current gen trackpads, apart from the Magic Trackpad, really do stink. Hopefully the Synaptic Clickpad will improve things [url<]http://goo.gl/CJhDf[/url<]

• Kharnellius

You cannot CANNOT compare other trackpads to Apple’s trackpads. That is where you argument falls apart.

I was in your camp until I used an APPLE trackpad.

• sweatshopking

I’ve used magic trackpads, and use OSX a fair bit. I [i<] still [/i<] find it inferior.

• Corrado

Why did you wait until 5 posts in to say you’ve used a Magic Trackpad specifically? Even after I said ‘If you’ve never used a Magic Trackpad’ you didn’t say ‘I HAVE used a Magic Trackpad’?

• sweatshopking

I said i’d use trackpads. There’s nothing MAGIC about apples. they’re simply electronics. i DID say i’ve used trackpads. sure, the apple one has more gestures. so? i still find it inferior to my mouse. I’m not going to call them magic. it’s stupid.

• Beelzebubba9

OS X integrates multitouch into the UI very well and using a Mac without gestures is annoying. If I bought a Mac Desktop I’d use both the trackpad or mouse where appropriate since they both have comparative advantages.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’ve used one, I found it to be inferior to a normal mouse in just about every way.

• axeman

But you know when they give it some sort of unquantifiable adjective to market how great it is, it has to be great, like the “Magic” mouse. Hint: “magic” is fake. So is it a fake pad? An illusion pad? As in, the illusion that you’re not buying into the latest stupid craze?

• sweatshopking

IT’S THE FUTURE. END USER SAID SO.

I DID!

and it is bugging the crap out of you!

• sweatshopking

not really. nothing bugs the crap out of me. i’m invincible to internet anger.

• Corrado

Yes, lets break down EVERYONE’S marketing names instead. What do Acer Aspires ‘aspire’ to be? Good computers? How about a Alienware. Alien’s don’t exist… so is it non-existentware? As in you’re buying into a non-existent extra value? Complaining about someone’s marketing terms and tactics is plain stupid. Especially when its over the use of the word ‘Magic’ when describing a trackpad.

• axeman

Has anyone else made a large trackpad equipped notebook? All the WinTel machines I’ve seen with multitouch were terrible, even though the hardware vendor is the same (synaptics). And the smallish clickable (Synaptics) touchpad on the Lenovo X220 is borderline complete junk, unless they can fix it with software. It’s like synaptics makes all the trackpads, but only gives the good ones to Apple.

Synaptic is developing the ClickPad – [url<]http://goo.gl/CJhDf[/url<]

• BobbinThreadbare

I thought Apple had a patent on the touchpads they use.

• grantmeaname

Server != Workstation

• maxxcool

hmmm and there chances of topping either of the #1 and #2 ….. 0 third place is the loser to second place….