Lenovo rolls out a trio of tablets

If you’d asked me five years ago whether we’d one day see a ThinkPad slate running a Google operating system, I probably would have shaken my head. Yet here we are today, with three new 10.1" tablets boldly advertised on Lenovo’s website: the IdeaPad Tablet K1, IdeaPad Tablet P1, and ThinkPad Tablet.

The IdeaPad K1 and ThinkPad Tablet both feature Tegra 2 processors, Android 3.1 software, up to 1GB of DDR2 RAM, up to 64GB of storage capacity, HDMI output, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. At 1.6 lbs, the consumer-oriented IdeaPad K1 is rounder, lighter, and blessed with longer battery life (as much as 10 hours). The more rectangular, business-oriented ThinkPad Tablet tips the scales at 1.7 lbs and can stay up only eight hours, but Lenovo sweetens the pot with extra perks like 3G connectivity, a digitizer, and a suite of business apps.

Lenovo hasn’t released many details about the IdeaPad P1, but it does say the device will run Windows 7. That likely implies some sort of Atom processor, a higher price tag, and potentially shorter battery life. And it certainly won’t be magical.

You can look forward to the IdeaPad K1 and ThinkPad Tablet next month. The IdeaPad P1 will take a little longer to arrive—Lenovo quotes a nebulous "fall 2011" availability time frame.

• RtFusion

Wahhhh! The ThinkPad Tablet looks really sexy and useful. But, I want to hold out until Windows 8 tabs come out.

• Applecrusher

Being windows wouldn’t you be able to actually just install a copy when its time?

• khands

Yeah, it shouldn’t be that hard, but with the speed at which tablet tech is advancing you’ll end up with a much better experience buying a tablet later.

• mcnabney

The Win8 for ARM has nothing to do with x86 Windows.

In fact, it is unlikely any legacy applications from the x86 age will run on an ARM version of Windows. I don’t know why people are excited about it. Nothing you have will run on it unless the software owner goes back and recompiles it for the ARM processor.

• Applecrusher

There is an Atom version with Windows 7.

• BobbinThreadbare

Right, but if he wants an ARM CPU with Windows then there isn’t a choice

• Applecrusher

Eh, was just giving an option that kills both birds and lets you keep the stone. May not be perfect, but it allows an “upgrade path” that no other tablet really gives.. I think.. But heck, don’t even know anything about Win 8 yet so chances are I’m so wrong its funny.

Edit: Also just realised that the windows/atom one is the “IdeaPad P1” so I was talking about the wrong thing anyway.. Oh well.

• bimmerlovere39

I want that ThinkPad Tablet so bad it hurts. The keyboard folio case and the digitizer pen… for someone who’s going off to college (engineering), that sounds *really* nice.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know: X201t. Thing is, I’ve got a laptop that’s perfectly fine – a T400. I’ve used convertible tablets before (my high school issued them to students), and I’m not a fan of what you give up (durability, battery life – at least they’re running real CPUs now) in order to get something a lot bulkier than this, and has some compromises that domino into the rest of the laptop – and the X201 to which I’m referring is the best executed convertible I’ve seen. We had HP tc4400s before that. Pieces. Of. Junk.

I can see this thing being HUGE in the education market. Huge.

• sweatshopking

your name makes me think of “rimmerlover” and it’s naughty.

• bimmerlovere39

I’ve heard a lot of misunderstandings of my username before, but nobody’s actually come out and said that one. Not that I hadn’t thought of it.

:\

• sweatshopking

EVERYONE NEEDS A TABLET. THEY COST AS MUCH AS A COMPUTER, USE WAY CHEAPER CPU’S, LESS RAM, NO KEYBOARD, TOUCHPAD, ETC. BUT COST JUST AS MUCH! WHAT A DEAL!

• oldog

People are mobile. They want their stuff to be mobile. It would seem that many place a high premium on ultra-mobile devices.

Sony knew this fact years ago but seems to have forgotten it. Others have taken up the banner with Apple leading the charge.

• SomeOtherGeek

OMG, MAN! YOU ARE SO RIGHT! *EMPTYING OUT MY WALLET NOW*

• sweatshopking

DON’T FORGET THAT I NEED ONE! HELP A BROTHER OUT!!!

• pdjblum

Any objective person, excluding children, will realize after a time that tablets are just toys, and not fun ones at that. Fortunately, my kid thinks they are a joke, has no interest in them, and is absolutely all about his killer windows sli rig which he uses to play games worth playing.

Your kid has his priorities straight then.

• NeelyCam

Wrong – he should be studying instead of playing games on an SLI rig.

• pdjblum

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, I appreciate the sentiment.

• trackerben

You don’t need to dismiss tablets so readily. It took me weeks to first figure out what the iPad was good for.. People have found these are best for consumption in non-traditional settings, particularly transient and socials. I find it great for look-ups in a car or for lending to others.

• StuG

Wish we had prices.

• dpaus

It’s Lenovo; you can expect them to match iPad2 pricing or be within 10% of it.

• willmore

Finally, an android tablet that will cost as much as an iPad. This is one area where android devices have just not been keeping up.

• Firestarter

You say that as if it’s a joke, but Android could really use a premium product from a well-known manufacturer at a premium price.

People who want an iPad 2 and are willing to pay iPad 2 money for it will most likely scoff at all the cheaper Android tablets and not even consider them because they’re obviously (to them) inferior. But a competing Android tablet that ticks all the boxes AND is about as expensive can suddenly be seriously considered by these iPad 2 wannahaves, because if it’s just as expensive it had better well be just as good!

Edit: disclaimer: I don’t really have an idea what the average premium Android tablet costs nowadays.

• willmore

So, Motorola didn’t count?

• khands

Most Android tablets are actually [i<]more[/i<] expensive than their iPad counterparts. Cheaper tablets are a more recent phenomenon.