Asus puts up product page for $199 Eee PC

That $199, MeeGo-powered Eee PC we saw at Computex is drawing closer to release. At least, one would think so, considering Asus has put up a product page for the system, revealing its full specifications and a handful of pretty pictures.

According to that page, the Eee PC X101 features a 10.1″ 1024×600 display, an Atom N435 or N455 processor, 1GB of DDR3 memory, an 8GB Serial ATA solid-state drive, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, a 0.3-megapixel webcam, and a 28-Wh battery rated for four hours of run time. Asus quotes a weight of 0.92 kg (2.02 lbs) and a thickness of 17.6 mm (0.7″), which is somewhat remarkable for a 10″ netbook.

Of course, the low price, slim chassis, and light weight come with some strings attached. For starters, word around the web seems to be that the system’s Atom N435 processor is clocked at just 1.33GHz, down from 1.66GHz for the more popular N455 chip. There’s also that 8GB SSD, which isn’t exactly capacious. To top it off, Asus ships the system with MeeGo Linux, a somewhat unproven operating system that’s yet to break into the mainstream.

Luckily, DigiTimes reports that Asus will offer a $299 Eee PC X101H model running Windows 7 Starter. I’d expect that model to pack a little more storage capacity and perhaps an Atom N455 instead of the N435.

• odizzido

Every time I see a new netbook I think that this one might be the one that is actually good. And every time I seem to read “features a 10.1” 1024×600 display”…..yeah :\

• A_Pickle

Okay, how about this one:

ASUS 1215B-PU17
      [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230005[/url<] AMD E-350, 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, 12.1" 1366x768 LED-backlit display, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi 802.11n, HDMI output, card reader... it's quite the head-turner if you ask me.

• maxxcool

As long as the nic work with Backtraq, it could be useful 😉

• HighTech4US2

Another underpowered Atom Netbook with a crappy display resolution of 1024×600.

No thanks.

• Kurotetsu

Agreed. Atom might be acceptable if you’re using the netbook as a glorified web browser, but a 1024×600 resolution is completely unacceptable by any standard. I don’t care what you’re doing with it.

• trackerben

Actually, at that price it beats many retail and events POS systems. Add the necessary sensors and readers and it makes for a cheap and cheerful industrial solution.

But I agree it’s unacceptable for average consumer uses given the alternatives.

• OneArmedScissor

“To top it off, Asus ships the system with MeeGo Linux, a somewhat unproven operating system…”

This is an “enthusiast” site, is it not? I would hope people can install their own OS. That sounds like a positive, not a negative. I’m not paying $100 for Windows 7 [b<]Starter[/b<]. I wish more laptops came like that, because I don't want their crapware, anyways.

• Skrying

Except this product isn’t being sold to solely people on enthusiast websites. You’re not the only person who a product is for.

• OneArmedScissor

Oops. I didn’t realized I had accidentally navigated to, “Everyone and Their Dog Report.”

• Skrying

How does what site you’re reading have to do with the product? Absolutely nothing, and the site’s focus doesn’t conflict with the nature of Cyril’s comment. It is an unproven OS and for the majority of people that’s an issue, even to enthusiasts.

• Coulda

Windows version X101H has 250GB drive, and other differences. You’re not paying $100 for win7starter.

• NeelyCam

I’d be somewhat interested to see how good MeeGo is on a netbook… but zero chance that I’d buy a computer this slow.

• dpaus

I wonder why they didn’t go with Ubuntu? What would be so compelling about MeeGo?

• bfar

I boot my netbook to MeeGo off a thumb drive occaisionally. It works just fine for light consumption. But I whole-heartedy agree with your post, Ubuntu offers far more scope for any kind of productive usage.

To be fair, I think the hardware is too week for much beyond email/web/light media. If that’s the market this product is positioned for, than MeeGo would probably do.

• bthylafh

Lower system requirements, maybe. Ubuntu’s been gradually getting heavier.

Or perhaps Intel’s subsidizing it.

• d0g_p00p

Depends on what you need it for. I have a 1000HA that I use for terminal access on the go. It’s running Ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition dual boot with Win7 TPC. It was very slow when accessing the HDD. I just put in a SSD last Monday and it’s like a new machine. I find the CPU to work pretty good for what the target is for a netbook. A AMD E-350 would be a nice upgrade to this platform. I hope Asus is l;ookign into this.