Survey alleges IE users have lower IQs

Is there a correlation between choice of web browsers and intelligence? Yes, says AptiQuant, a self-described “Psychometric Consulting company” based here in Vancouver. The firm collected online IQ test results from 100,000 users across the States, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and it correlated the test results with web browsers used.

According to the results (PDF), all IE users had sub-100 (below-average) scores in the online IQ test, with IE6 users scoring lowest with just over 80 points. Firefox, Chrome, and Safari users all scored in the neighborhood of 110, though AptiQuant says the differences weren’t statistically significant. At the high end of the spectrum, users of Camino, Opera, and IE with the Chrome frame (no, really) all averaged scores above 120. Opera users were apparently the smartest of the bunch.

Now, some issues with the company’s methodology come to mind. First of all, online IQ tests are more curiosities than accurate measures of a person’s intelligence, since they can’t really be administered under controlled conditions or vetted for accuracy. Also, while the study talks of web browser choice, I’m sure there are some Mensa members out there forced to use IE at work—and less intellectually gifted folks whose PCs were set up for them with Chrome or Firefox.

At the very least, though, these data have a similar appeal to online IQ test results. They’re entertaining and make for some good bragging material. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some IE users to belittle…

• ronch

The person using IE may not be too smart using computers, but may be a real achiever in some other field.

• Krogoth

Troll survey is troll bait.

The survey helps to confirm one thing, the majority of the world doesn’t care what browser they use. They use whatever comes loaded with their system. Since, Windows still holds the majority of the marketshare. It is no surprise that IE is used by the majority a.k.a the bell curve in the IQ test chart.

The people who give a crap about browsers tend to work in techincal related fields which leans towards the higher-end part of the chart. This is where yoiu will find a wider selection of choices among the given poplutation.

• Arag0n

But it doesn’t explains the bump for Firefox and Chrome with a localized maximum before the 100%tile and opera with an increasing curve….

• NeelyCam

The fact still remains that only 10% of 99th percentile is using Opera, while almost 60% use Firefox or Chrome.

• Arag0n

The fact is that if there was a 1000IQ level person, looking at the chart he would use opera…. the smarter you are, higher chances you use opera and less you have to use firefox. Do you really believe that every smart person in the world cares about the browser they use? That’s your answer, in the same way that non-so smart people but with a bit of PC knowledge shows to be using firefox or chrome too, but most, use IE, showing the trend that smarter people would choose firefox over IE, the trend in the graph that im looking is that if the IQ level of people was an spreader one, we could see the tail of the Gaussian graph that seems to be made by Firefox and chrome…

But yeah… here you go again… im not challenging you saying that if you use firefox you can’t be smart, what im trying to say is that this charts aren’t just a decreasing exponential lines for IE, and incremental exponential lines for other browsers. You can see that safari, chrome and firefox display a Gaussian graph with the center well ahead the 100%tile, showing that after some intelligence level the trend of choosing firefox or chrome over opera changes. Is it so hard to understand that? The lecture about this graph isn’t as simple as smart people broswers and dumb people broswers….. if you can’t understand that, maybe you are int he dumb side, despite using firefox… 😉

• NeelyCam

Wow; extrapolation gone awry… It’s a complete math fail to extrapolate a non-linear curve way outside the measured space, and call the result a fact.

You’re really taking this personally, aren’t you..? You aren’t giving up until everyone admits that Opera is teh BEZT browsar evah!

• Arag0n

No man… but this graph has more information that you may expect….. if you want to simply the conversation to which browser is the best, that’s your problem, some of us we are trying to discuss the results. There is different decision factors to choose a browser…. that’s why you have gaussian distributions, and the center point for IE is below normal human IQ. That’s why there is no local maximum for IE, just a decreasing exponential graph and you have local maximums for chrome, firefox and safari, and Opera seems to have the center above human maximum IQ level. If you don’t want to acknowledge that, it’s your problem. I’ve never talked about better or worse browsers! If you keep a track of my posts, I’ve acknoledged that in a “perfect-world” scenario, the best frowser for dummies, the best browser for normal-smart people, and the browser for genius would be different browsers, and that’s what seems that we are really looking at this graph.

If you think that what the graph shows to be the browser for dummies and the browser for smart people, implies better or worse, that’s your problem. A simplified browser without additions, just an adress bar with anything else, may prove to be the best browser for dummies. A browser with commands and hotkeys can prove to be the best browser for genius. It just doesn’t make sense to think that something as BEST exist when you have a range of different kind of people with different expectations from products. This is as claiming that the top-notch intel cpu that costs 1000$ is the best in the world, SURE! for what? Raw performance? The perfect CPU is the CPU that fits the needs of the person that is going to use it, or the tasks that is designed for. At some scenarios is better suited to get a low-mid CPU and keep the money (and maybe also avoid a waste of electricity), that’s the inteligent choice, and not just to buy something as expensive as your wallet can pay…. fit the solution to the problem, is the intelligent choice.

I hope you can understand that someday! So you will avoid to think that we are just talking about better or worse! I prefer opera, but opera isn’t the best! it just happens to suit my behavior and expectations the best! If i was a person that likes to look for add-ons for the browser to do tasks, I may prefer firefox… but this is not my hard point.

• NeelyCam

These distributions don’t look gaussian to me. The local maxima for these browsers may also have something to do with marketing or “brand awareness” – most people have probably heard of Firefox. I would estimate fewer people have heard of Opera. That alone can skew the Firefox peak towards the middle of the IQ scale – not because of its merits or benefits for smart/less-smart folks, but just because more people have heard about it.

However, I believe we can still assume that most of the 99th percentile have heard of most of these options, and they are free to test them and choose one based entirely on the merits of the browser. And, as I’ve stated many times before, Firefox and Chrome are clearly preferred over Opera by most of the the 99th percentile.

I would argue that the main reason Opera seems to be gaining popularity when you move towards the right side of the plot is that the smarter folks have actually heard about it.

I would further argue that for most of the “geniuses” (99th percentile) Firefox is a better option than Opera, simply by reading the graph; we can probably assume that “geniuses” are aware of all the options and able to make an informed decision as to which one is best for them. The graph shows that the “geniuses” have spoken – Opera is better for only a very small minority of geniuses. For most of them, either Firefox or Chrome is better.

• Arag0n

I don’t think you got the point…. not every intelligent folk works at IT companies… and the decision factors aren’t just the IQ level and level of awareness. Some people may have compatibility issues with some website or whatever and move from one browser to other, etc. That’s why there is a gaussian distribution for each browser with different central points. The point is that IQ levels only marks the gravity points for browser election. Lower IQ are going to be more attracted to let the default system browser and Higher IQ’s will be more attracted to different options. Please, Just agree that there seems to be different center points for each browser….

I’m not going to bother with an explanation anymore, this is no fanboyism, I’m not going to argue if Firefox or Opera is better choice for Intelligent folks! No one is arguing that man! What we are just discussing is how different browsers can suit better different intelligent levels than others, that we aren’t just looking at a plain decreasing graph of default browsers and an increasing share with intelligent of other browsers. It means that each browser has a different sweet spot between features/complexity of use that seems to fit their needs.

Another possible explanation is that more intelligent people has faster switching times, so they are the ones that start the trends and the trend now is to move out from firefox to chrome. However, it doesn’t seems to fit with the fact that Chrome and Safari, both have also a similar behavior to firefox, just displaced to the right and the fact that opera hasn’t increase market share for years. It’s funny to see that the center point of Chrome is located more to the right than firefox and at the same time has higher use rates with dumb people. Are you going to say that everything is just related to curiosity? I can see dumb people prefer chrome over firefox because it’s simplicity, just a URL bar to write what you want to do. I hope you can get the fanboyism out of the discussion, we are talking about what are the causes, what can be extracted as conclusion, etc.

We are not trying to do stupid claims about what browser is better , or if you are smarter or dumber because you use or not a given browser. I prefer to trust the source, think they aren’t tricking the results and try to understand why it happens, what are the causes and what I can learn from that. If you only want to say that above the 15%tile the market leader is firefox, so firefox is the best browser, it’s your choice. I never like to get this kind of simplistic readings from stats….

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Please, Just agree that there seems to be different center points for each browser....[/quote<] Sure, I agree. I'm not questioning that. I'm arguing about the reason for the different center points for each browser. Unfortunately this study didn't gather enough information to determine that, so all we can do is speculate. [quote<]It's funny to see that the center point of Chrome is located more to the right than firefox and at the same time has higher use rates with dumb people. Are you going to say that everything is just related to curiosity?[/quote<] I'm not saying that. I'm saying that curiosity plays a role here, as does the level of awareness general population has on the various options. I can only speculate that "smart" people have a higher likelihood to 1) be curious about other options, 2) know about other options, and 3) try the other options and decide which they prefer. [quote<]If you only want to say that above the 15%tile the market leader is firefox, so firefox is the best browser, it's your choice. I never like to get this kind of simplistic readings from stats....[/quote<] That's not what I said. I said for 99th percentile firefox seems to be the best browser, closely followed by chrome. I explained my reasoning behind this claim, arguing that in the 99th percentile "external reasons" (such as lack of knowledge about options) don't influence the results as much, while for "dumber" users might pick their browser for reasons like "IE was already there" or that "my smart friend told me to use chrome". In my opinion, looking at the 99th percentile is our best chance to really compare the browsers on their own merits.

• Arag0n

I dont agree with your understanding about having higher IQ’s as having higher degree of awareness about IT technology, just as I said to you before, not everyone that has high IQ levels work for IT companies or IT related things, and even if they do, they might be pushed to use a broswer they don’t want to… So don’t expect that just because they are more intelligent, they pay more attention to browsers. I might be the most intelligent person in my family and I’m the only one that doesn’t knows what are the team members of the local football team, just because I totally don’t care about football, not because I’m not “intelligent enough to remember the names”.

I tend to think that different level of awareness doesn’t affect the end result as much as the delay effects of propagations. Just look at how chrome seems to have higher market share for low IQ people despite having a center point higher than firefox. It totally disrupts your theory about dumb people staying with IE as default, or just firefox, the next most common one… actually by your idea firefox should have a graph similar to IE at the beginning that goes down as awareness increase (IQ level) and goes up again at middle point between “no-awareness” and the center point of their distribution more or less, but it doesn’t happen. So I think that as far as I agree with you that more intelligent people should have higher degrees of curiosity or at least, it’s more likely to be curious, this graph doesn’t seems to be showing that… perhaps it’s true for IE browsers, but not for the other browsers, and maybe this is also the reason about firefox having a lower center point than chrome or safari, given that firefox should be influenced by common knowledge about “being the best”, just as iPhone is considered the best and bough by people that doesn’t wants to look forward to try all mobile OS’s. But in the other hand it doesn’t seems to explain why Safari and Chrome has different center points. Given the fact that the only factor was going to be the level of awareness, it would mean that the choice about which browser you use is more self-motivated than influenced, and stepping aside the top 2 browsers, all browsers should behave similar. That’s why I believe the explanation should be more according to each browser having a sweet balance of features/complexity that moves people to like or dislike them depending the IQ level of the person.

anyways, glad to see that finally we are moving the conversation away of a troll war! That we are just back to discuss how and why the results behave!

• NeelyCam

[quote<]anyways, glad to see that finally we are moving the conversation away of a troll war! [/quote<] Oh no! We have to fix that as soon as possible. I don't know why you limit your analysis to thinking only one reason for browser choice at a time. Clearly they all affect the distributions together. You seem to be fixated with the center points that are also affected by the multiple, often conflicting effects. Also you seemed to miss my point about "dumb" people choosing what their "smart" friends tell them to choose... That could explain the tails of Firefox and Chrome. Interestingly, "dumb" people don't seem to choose Opera at all... maybe none of their smart friends recommend it for whatever reason. Regarding your comment that not all smart people know IT... That's certainly true, but regarding this particular report, there is a clear selection bias: "Most of the subjects came to the website either by organic searches from search engines, or advertisements put on various search engines for keywords targeting users who were looking for a free online IQ test." If you use an online search engine and look for an online IQ test, you are probably more knowledge about IT than an average person. Second, the report talks about how the scores of the IQ test they used have a population mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15, but they don't mention what was the mean score of the some 100,000 subjects they were testing. Generally the average IQ of those who are looking for IQ tests is above average. The lack of this crucial bit of information makes me wonder where the percentiles (that they calculated based on the results of the study) lie in the context of the larger population... the selection bias plays a role here as well. The only link we have between the test population and the general population is figures 1 and 2. If you integrate the curves of non-IE users in Figure 2 (these integrals measure how many users used a specific browser), compare it to the total population in the study, and note that all non-IE users had average IQ's over hundred, you can probably estimate that the average IQ of the test subjects was above hundred (the low average IQ of IE6 users skew this a bit, but the large populaton of firefox users probably counters that). I think it's also interesting to note that the average IQ of Opera users is close to two standard deviations above the average - that's close to Mensa qualifying level (98th percentile of the general population). Noting that a vast majority of the Opera users are below the 98th percentile of this study's subjects also points to the high-IQ selection bias in this study. So, what can we conclude? As far as I'm concerned, the only undisputed result we can draw from this is that those who look for IQ tests online tend to be smarter than an average person.

• Arag0n

Well, I’m trying to analyze it from only one data perspective because we only have one behavior…. so you will have enough freedom levels to get be able to push whatever you want as a reason. Given the graphs, there is only one thing we can argue, IQ. It would be different if at least we had different age groups, we may think about different behavior about different age groups and then try to understand the differences.

[quote<] That could explain the tails of Firefox and Chrome. Interestingly, "dumb" people don't seem to choose Opera at all... maybe none of their smart friends recommend it for whatever reason. [/quote<] I don't see how it can be an explanation given the fact that more smart people has firefox rather than chrome... it plainly doesn't have sense, also given the fact that if Opera is more popular with smart people, it would mean we should see a bump of users in the dumb levels of opera users installing what their friends recommend them to do. So I think you have a point about it, but I think the recommended person acceptance it's what makes the difference.

• NeelyCam

Actually, now that I looked at the study more carefully, I have to disagree with Cyril’s comment:

“According to the results (PDF), [b<]all IE users had sub-100 (below-average) scores in the online IQ test[/b<], with IE6 users scoring lowest with just over 80 points. " This is obviously an incorrect conclusion.

• Arag0n

yeah, this is the kind of conclusions that are misleading and start troll wars… there is more intelligent IE users than Opera users…. the correct sentence should be:

“According to the results (PDF), all IE versions users have average scores under 100 points in the online IQ test for their user base, with IE6 users scoring lowest with just over 80 points. ”

The point of having more IE users than Opera users in the intelligent levels can be shown as a proof that large parts of the users tested aren’t looking forward to different browsers given their needs solved, or they are part of company environments that doesn’t allows them to have their own choices.

• PeterD

Although this kind of surveys is stupid, I’m inclined to believe the outcome of that one.
    And why do I believe that? Because to be a non-IE user, you had to think it over. Being an IE user doesn’t require any intellectual effort – no choice to be made, nothing to be thougt over.

• ClickClick5

Hum…

This seems like it become a virus quickly.

“Study shows smarter people choose Intel.” etc, etc…

Is this what the digital community has become? More ammo for flame wars and fanboi rants?
    *facepalm* It just wont end.

I like IE because I have to spell things. I have spell check turned off on my BlackBerry too.
    Does this mean people who use IE learn to spell correctly?

You see, this kind of news is not really useful. Pooling these stats are not going to cure cancer, just make the forums more active.

Now time to go clean the bike.

• PeterD

“Study shows smarter people choose Intel.” ?
      I think a publicity quote like that once existed, but not for Intel. Something like “Smart guys choose X”.

• Fighterpilot

Meadows uses IE.

• sweatshopking

meadows is an opera user, like myself. I do, however, use ie9 as a backup if opera breaks on a site. I enjoy ie9, though i DO prefer opera. I’d rather use ie9 than chrome, FF (these days it just doesn’t work for me), or safari (that’s worse than a night in prison with bubba)

• NeelyCam

It’s clear smarter people choose Intel because 1) Intel CPUs are better and 2) smarter people tend to make more money than not-so-smart people, so the higher price of Intel CPUs doesn’t play a major role in CPU decision.

Setting up a study about it would only confirm the obvious.

• spigzone

Be interesting to see what the average IQ is of the top 20% of IE users, you know, the ones smart enough and knowledgeable enough to have tried the others and decided to stay with IE.

Like me.

And like me they probably overwhelmingly have IE9 installed. And MSE2.

• Arag0n

I don’t think the IQ itself is important…. I think the reasons are the point… even if low IQ people stays with IE, it doesn’t means IE is a bad thing by itself… in a perfect world, dumber people would like to have simpler and easier to use browsers, and more intelligent people would care more about the elegance of the solution. My reason to stay with Opera was the speed dial and mouse gestures, while honestly, i find myself using less gestures over time. This is something you must learn that it’s not an obvious thing, but provides easier and faster usability. It may happen that dumber people likes to have a simpler browser, not even tabs. Just an URL to write and that’s all.

What’s the reason that more intelligent people uses something and dumber one uses another is a pretty good research topic for browser developers teams, since it provides information about how to focus the design. This and an statistic about IQ level and internet users would be great for designers to figure the capabilities, functionality and complexity a marker leader should have. IMHO, I don’t think that there is still people out there that doesn’t knows firefox….

• albundy

“Survey alleges IE users have lower IQs”

I thought that was reserved for crapple fanboys… 😉

• boing

Why this was even published is beyond me taking these two quotes into consideration:

“AptiQuant says the differences weren’t statistically significant” and “issues with the company’s methodology come to mind”.

Then I read “They’re entertaining and make for some good bragging material,” and have to agree with that as well. 🙂

• Arclight

Hahaha stupid idiots “downloads Firefox through IE”. Wait a sec……wait for it…..

• sreams

This survey isn’t useful until it asks respondents if they are even aware of alternative browsers. Of course… those with the very lowest IQs are probably less likely to be aware of any browser other than the one that came with the computer… so the results are totally expected with that in mind.

• Arag0n

sure, but as I said before,t he percentile and browser usage graph in the PDF is the most interesting thing from my point of view. It’s not just a plainly decreasing usage for “dumb” browsers and increasing usage for “intelligent browsers”. There is some Gaussian distributions, exponential decremental ones and exponential increasing ones.

• ronch

Ha! I’m using Opera. ^^

But seriously, I agree that this article doesn’t say much. I know some pretty brainy folks who use IE. And then there are also some brainy folks who don’t give a crap which browser they use, but for whom I installed Opera for.

• dmjifn

Har har, my day has come!

• jackbomb

this makes me MADDD. internet explorer ISSSS the best, u cant be-little me for making the choice of using the best browzer. ok?

• xeridea

I would love to see a complementary study done on OS usage. Not sure where OSX would stand, as there are hordes of dumb as a doornob die hard Apple fans, but also a lot of more intellegent people use it, for professional media type work, web pages, and other reasons. Windows would probably be so many variables it wouldn’t really be valid. Linux of course would be the highest, since majority of users are geeks, or know a geek (some distros can be used without being a brainiak).

• bthylafh

Or maybe sexual orientation vs OS.

• Sahrin

I wouldn’t. This study’s methodology is worthless, and so are its results.

• burntham77

Aaaah hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….

No wait…

No, that was right. Aaaaaah hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

• HisDivineOrder

Haha, no surprise there. IE is for those that can barely turn their computer on, so they’re below avg. Firefox, Chrome, and Safari are out there being smeared all over the airwaves, movie theatres, your computer, and every time you visit Google. They’re going to be pretty computer savvy.

Only a fringe few would even hear about Opera or IE with Chrome frame. Those would be the few that just HAD to be different. This would be a group not dragged down by the sheer numbers of people using FF, Chrome, and Safari. Hell, Safari has its numbers dragged down by all the idiots that buy Apple.

• TaBoVilla

how smart is using no browser at all?

I download html files and interpret them using notepad++

• xeridea

Not necessarily higher IQ, but rather an obsession with being different and flexing your brain muscles. Also you would then have to also download the css, js, and images separately. But if your brain could interpret it all it would probably appear better in your brain than it would in IE.

• TaBoVilla

hi xeridea, I guess we haven’t met before =) I’m not the local troll here, but sometimes I write stuff which are hardly true, bordering sarcastic-absolute-falsehoods, sometimes comical I would like to think.

• xeridea

I know you are totally kidding, I just felt like elaborating a bit =)

• Bensam123

Seems a bit like common knowledge. The first web browser people are introduced to is IE for the most part. A lot of less intelligent people just try to figure out one thing that works and then continue using it till it stops working. It takes a bit more motivation to move onto something new and intelligence isn’t something that thrives on laziness, rather the opposite. People who are stupid generally lack the motivation to learn (baring mental disorders).

So, less intelligent people wont go out of their way to learn something new… why would they when what they have something that works fine? And if it doesn’t, then they find a easily justifiable (yet dubious) excuse for it.

Now maybe if all three browsers were readily and equally available as well as there not already being biases in place before users were introduced to them this study would have some merit, as it would show these browsers have qualities that smart people enjoy (what they’re trying to infer). But there are too many extraneous variables to account for and as such this study only shows unintelligent people lack motivation to change.

• pdjblum

If survey suggests it, it must be true. I use Chrome, but probably bring down the average. Next survey will suggest that Apple users are smarter, but how smart can sheep be?

• NeelyCam

Of the 99th percentile, 35% use Firefox and 23% use Chrome. Only 10% use Opera.

Regards,
    Chrome/Firefox user

• Arag0n

Sure thing, but you should think: The higher IQ, the higher chances you are using Opera, so Opera users have higher chances to have higher IQ. However, if you are really pissed about the test claiming that opera users may be more intelligent than you, just go to have a try to an online IQ test, there is plenty and get your results. It’s easy, reliable and the easiest way… after that, come here and claim being in the 99th percentil and all you want….

However, from my point of view, to claim that you have higher IQ just because statistics shows that intelligent people uses what you use is such a stupid thing. It only proves you don’t understand what statistics means…. you may be the most intelligent person in this website and use IE7, it’s not likely but it could happen….

• NeelyCam

I understand statistics – I was merely pointing out that data can be interpreted in various different ways. As a contrarian troll, I had to conclude something different, and my conclusion is no less correct than yours. I don’t take life seriously enough to get pissed off about an article on a tech news website.

Mensa already tested my IQ: 99th percentile. But when you think about it, 99th percentile is not all that special; there is one for every hundred.

I tried opera on my samsung not-so-smartphone a while back, and it was much faster than the pos browser that the phone shipped with.

• Arag0n

Well, it’s special to be in the 99th percentile… You have to think that you should be a fast learner and a person with higher adaptability, plus you should be able to come with a solution to problem faster than 99% of the people.

To claim to be better cuz you are more intelligent is a stupid thing to do, but to clam to be a better person to deal with complex problems in a faster way and all, it’s not.

• Arag0n

I don’t know how flawed is this kind of study, but I’m using Opera and I usually score around 130-135 in online IQ tests, coincidence?

• NeelyCam

I’m using Firefox/Chrome, and I score 175. Coincidence?

• sweatshopking

I use opera/IE, and have no idea! Coincidence?

seriously though, nerds, who the F does IQ tests. you guys need to get laid.

• jstern

It does make sense, simply because less curious minds will just use whatever browser is there, and not because of the capabilities of the browsers. Not surprising that even though IE users had the lowest scores, users of IE with the Chrome frame scored above 120, since again, in general a person with a more curious mind will is many, many, many times more likely of installing the Chrome frame, and knowing what it’s for.

But remember, humans are still very mentally flawed. The way I see it, people with an 120 IQ might get arrogant and think they’re really smart, but in reality they still have flawed human logic, and their opinions are just as idiotic in the grand scheme of things as the opinion of the person with the below 100 IQ (Even though they’re much smarter than them in many things). The problem is that there aren’t people, or large groups of people with IQs over 200 for most people to see just how dumb they are, even though we’re so ahead of animals.

• Arag0n

I wouldn’t say that more intelligent people is more curious about things, but I would say that more intelligent people is more curious about harder things. It’s not like my friends that I think should be pretty below the 100 mark score aren’t curious about new TV shows, cinema or games, it’s just that they aren’t curious about things they don’t understand and require a longer learning time.

So my point is that I’m pretty sure that if we look forward for people that has better knowledge about football teams they will have lower score than people that has more knowledge about anti-virus programs, both thins shows curiosity but the field is what makes the difference.

I would like to see a similar IQ survey for Android, iOS, WP7, BB and Symbian for US’s people or some group with similar buying behaviours.

• jstern

There are many different levels of curiosity. I’m talking about a deeper level of curiosity, not merely being into a subject and memorizing a bunch of stats, or being into TV shows that require them to just sit back.

In fact, to make the point clearer, replace the word curiosity with IQ. The only reason I used the word curiosity was because it sounded less offensive than saying a less intelligent person.

• Arag0n

Deeper level of curiosity doesn’t means harder…. there is people that has a hard time knowing how something works you know…? it’s not that they aren’t curious, it’s that they may take days to understand something that takes 10m for you, so most of the people doesn’t enjoys doing that. They prefer simpler things.

It’s like mobile phone applications, more intelligent people will be more curious about which kind of applications an operating system has, or what they do. More intelligent people will be more curious about SDK’s and how the applications work, about the elegance of the solution and not just the solution itself.
          But yeah, I agree with you that the more intelligent people will tend to go more to the basics about how things work and not just what they do.

• SecretMaster

This is stupid

Pretty much.

These losers think that using a particular browser somehow makes them smarter. Newsflash: using Opera doesn’t make you smarter. You are what you are.

• cygnus1

That’s not what they’re saying at all. They’re saying that people that ARE smarter choose browsers other than IE. In other words, less intelligent people choose IE and/or don’t know any better.

• NeelyCam

I wasn’t talking about the article; I was talking about the folks here who are proudly announcing that they are using Opera.

• Arag0n

Well, actually I’m over the average of opera users IQ, opposite to others i reported the usual results i ever took in online tests and not just the browser I use instead of doing a random claim… I also agreed with you in my post that it just proves you don’t understand what statistics means if you try to say that you are more intelligent because you use a given browser. Any ways, you shouldn’t get annoyed by that… specially when you were the first one to claim that more intelligent people gets firefox than opera and then signed as a firefox user…. as soon as you did that, the feeling everyone gets in this website is that you feel your intelligent is doubted because you use a browser that isn’t popular among intelligent people….

You got a point in your post, not because you are intelligent means that you need to use Opera, I don’t know why you keep yourself bothered by this topic.The people that claims being smarter cuz they use opera, the thing they should do is an online test…. there is nothing wrong with higher IQ’s and lower IQ’s, at the end of the day we all have similar brain sizes, if you aren’t using your brain for analytical things it means you use your brain for other things. Not everyone has to be good solving problems, some people is good in sports because their brain have extremely low response time to stimulus and much better control of their own body. As long as you place your capabilities in use, everyone has a chance to succeed, IQ isn’t the main point. That’s why it’s so important to be able to socialize yourself…. because it’s important to meet people with different key points that can add value to your team.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Well, actually I'm over the average of opera users IQ, opposite to others i reported the usual results i ever took in online tests and not just the browser I use instead of doing a random claim...[/quote<] Sorry, but I don't understand what this means. To whom did you report the "usual results" you mention here? And what is this "random claim" you talk about?

• Arag0n

Nah, in a post at the bottom, i reported that i usually score around 130-135 IQ level in online tests and I’m an Opera user. So it had sense to me, not because smart people choose opera, but because opera users usually are smart. I didn’t just said, see, I’m smart, i have high IQ, I use Opera…. as if using opera was a prove of high IQ….

• sweatshopking

“I didn’t just said, see, I’m smart, i have high IQ”

Yep. point proven.

• NeelyCam

I hope that when you take these random IQ tests, you make sure the standard deviations are the same between the tests. Or, when you compare your results to these results here, you scale them to have matching standard deviations.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say what your score is in multiples of stddev above/below mean, instead of using “130-135”?

• ShadowTiger

not as stupid as using IE6 in 2011

• indeego

Corps using IE6 are likely heavily locked-down, proxied and filtered anyway.

We use IE9 at work, and the level of control over the browser via group policy rivals Firefox and Chrome, by a huge amount. Users can use the other two browsers but it’s not supported for work stuff.

• bthylafh

troll troll troll…

• oldog

Hey, I’m an avid IE9 user and I resemble that statement.

• Arag0n

It would have been nice to have results divided by browser version also and not just brand. I also think IE9 is good enough browser, in my common mix of Opera for my normal use, chrome for searchers, IE9 is my backup browser for when chrome has so many tabs open that i need a different browser to differentiate the location of the things.

Update: Checked the PDF for results, actually they did, and they have a very nice graph about percentile of IQ vs browser usage…. it’s quite more interesting than the raw results itself. I think it’s quite weird that most intelligent people uses IE with Chrome Frame and at the same time, the most dumb ones uses IE….

It’s also interesting to note things like, Safari and chrome have some kind of usage bubble around “high IQ levels”, but at the same time they drop with IQ after some point, showing the typical feeling about people that it’s intelligent enough to figure something but it’s not enough to figure something else. Safari usage may perfectly show this like: Intelligent enough to realize the Windows problems but not enough to realize that you don’t need a Mac to avoid them.

• xeridea

IE frame for Chrome is useful for seeing if web pages work in IE without breaking down and opening that slow POS. I am a web developer and have used it on occasion. To bad it is basically running IE in the tab, so you can’t use the Chrome dev tools. Also, using IE you can test how it works for different versions of IE with the terrible but at least they give you something to work with for fixing IE only issues IE dev tools. This so you can set up your different conditional stylesheets for every version of IE. To bad it isn’t 100% accurate on rendering how it would look in previous versions (usually pretty good but it messes up minor things on occasion, so true version of version X is required to be certain).

• Dashak

Confirmation bias much?

• Vasilyfav

Confirmation bias doesn’t apply here. They just measured IQ scores. It’s not like they threw out results that didn’t confirm their hypothesis.

You’d understand this easily if you weren’t posting from IE.

Truly yours, Opera user.