Third Metro: Last Light trailer shows on-rails combat

We already saw the first two videos of the Metro 2033 sequel, Metro: Last Light. The folks at 4A Games have now put up a third trailer, which shows some combat on train carts in one of the game’s trademark subway tunnels:

The lighting effects, combat, and music all fit together rather nicely, and I really like how the game uses dynamic cloth effects to give a sense of speed as the larger train car zooms through the tunnels. I hope those effects aren’t PhysX-only, though, considering the original Metro 2033 bore Nvidia’s The Way It’s Meant To Be Played badge.

Today’s trailer reveals one more tidbit of information: a 12-minute gameplay video will be released on August 23. The full game still isn’t due out until next year, but at least we should get a better feel for the game that way than with these two-minute teasers.

• Bensam123

They really need to turn down the blinding lights. Going from pitch black to blinding, then to pitch black, then to blinding is a very poor use of HDR. I can understand that bright things burn… but you aren’t going from a box with no light to the surface of the sun. It’s sad to see Metro fall into this trap that the rest of modern day game makers have also fallen into.

Game makers need to spend a little bit of time playing around with a flashlight in real life before implementing things like this which really distort the game and make it a rather unenjoyable experience. I suppose caking on the post processing is easier then actually spending time making good lighting effects. Although to Metros credit, they looked well done, just amped up way too much.

• PrincipalSkinner

Looks pretty good. The thing that annoyed me the most in Metro was voice acting. I hope they fix that. And give us more time on the surface. Frozen landscapes looked fantastic.

• michael_d

English voice acting was tacky but Russian was pretty good especially bandits and their use of slang. Some of the voice actors were from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

• Jigar

After watching part 2 footage, i highly doubt my HD5850 will be able to hold playable FPS while running this game.

• michael_d

Combat mechanics appear to be smoother, reload and death annimation is pretty good too.

• CaptTomato

Combat mech really put me off the first game, and as you said, this does appear slicker, but I still feel that this is strong game on tech and atmosphere surrounding a simple minded story.

• TravelMug

“on-rails”

I see what you did there! 🙂

• indeego

This [i<]has[/i<] to be them poking fun at themselves.

• grantmeaname

This is very Medal of Honor. I remember doing almost exactly this in about 2005 on a PS2.

• Bensam123

You’re a terrible troll sir.

Unless you were being serious in which case you never played Metro and are a uninformed idiot. Metro isn’t about having oodles of weapons, achievements, or even ground breaking gameplay; it’s about the amazing story (which is actually very good) and great choreography. Basically telling a good story.

• grantmeaname

I said nothing about Metro being a bad game. For all you know, I love the Metro series.

Sorry if I insulted your sacred cow, buddy, but if you as a developer have a mostly finished game and want to convince me that you’re innovative, you shouldn’t do a mine-car vs. train chase that ends in jumping on the train. That’s a played out, cliche level design. As mentioned, I played it already in Medal of Honor: Frontline, which came out in 2002.

• odizzido

the train cloth effect is pretty good. If it is physx I will never see it though.

• michael_d

x2. Physics effects are awesome.

• kamikaziechameleon

wow, the game tech looks beautiful. Hope it looks even better in 12 months.