Rat 7 gaming mouse gets Albino upgrade

White is the new black, not only for PC enclosures, but also for other components and accessories. I’m not sure about this next white-out, though. Cyborg Gaming has launched an Albino edition of its Rat 7 gaming mouse.

The original Rat 7 was released in black, and it just happens to be my favorite mouse of all time. A TR Editor’s Choice award winner, the Rat 7 is still going strong as my primary desktop mouse after nearly a year of continuous use. I can’t say enough good things about its adjustable design, solid button feel, and smooth tracking. The Albino version even boosts the maximum sensitivity by 800 DPI.

White seems like a bad idea for a PC peripheral that’ll be handled constantly, though. Over time, I worry that the pristine surface will develop a yellowish tinge or be irreparably stained by Cheeto dust. Instead of messing around in the paint shop, Cyborg really needs to apply the Rat’s unprecedented adjustability to a quality gaming keyboard that can be split, tilted, and positioned however users see fit. Pretty please. Thanks to Engadget for the tip.

• Bensam123

You can find my review on the forums. I sent it back as it feels really awkward, even adjusted… among other things.

• Aphasia

I just wish they would add a toogle mode for the zoom/sensitivity buttin instead of a hold, because except for that detail, the rat-mice seems spiffy.

• cybot_x1024

I think Saitek Cyborg released this amazing looking mouse just to spite me. I bought my black RAT 7 not so long ago. I would have loved this one
    But now when i think about it, the textured pinky rest and palm rest make the black one look like its got carbon fibre, 😀
    Tough choice, it would have been if i had the option of the two..

• HisDivineOrder

Looks like the perfect mouse to use with the Stormtrooper case reviewed on this site a few months back.

• LiquidSpace

no pinky support, it uses the twin eye sensor which is a defective sensor, hasn’t got enough buttons for RTS games and it’s white.
    better go with steel series.

• kamikaziechameleon

After springing for 80 dollar razors and top of the line logitech mice this mouse has the best materials and construction of any mouse I’ve ever seen or held. Maybe steel series is better, I’ve not handled one but I doubt its much better. My lazor is amazing not defective, the drivers are amazing. I truly love these mice.

• mesyn191

I had one, broke in less than a month. Very comfortable but I wouldn’t buy them again after that.

• Meadows

There’s a thing called warranty. They replaced my broken Roccat for example, swiftly, and paid for the shipping back and forth. I would never buy non-gamer brands just because there’s the occasional bad apple.

• mesyn191

Yea even with a warranty crap is still crap. I wouldn’t buy one again even if it came with a 10 yr warranty.

• SomeOtherGeek

So, that means you’ll never buy anything else again? Shit happens, ya know?

• mesyn191

Of the stuff that breaks for no damn reason quickly and is expensive too?

Yes you have it right I’ll never buy it again.

• Meadows

To stick to my anecdote, my replacement has been working completely fine since, it seems like a bad egg is just that, and it happens with any brand.

• moriz

the RAT 7 does have an interchangeable pinky support. it’s quite good, in fact.

• Meadows

Steelseries make some awful mice, better pick Razer or Roccat. Or the Logitech G400.

• DarkUltra

If you cut away its fat back it works excellent for people who move the mouse with their hand (instead of their arm). I wouldn’t mind testing out a Rat 7 though.

• d0g_p00p

You obviously have ever used this mouse. There are plenty of buttons and there is a pinky finger add on included in the box. Also there is nothing wrong with the sensor so I don’t know what that’s about.

• willyolio

pinky support is in the box, people only whine about the sensor because it acts differently compared to others when it’s lifted off the table, and it’s got far too many buttons for Starcraft, the only RTS that matters these days, and it comes in black.

better actually read a review.

• Xenolith

RAT7 and RAT5 owner. Fan of both.

[quote<]Over time, I worry that the pristine surface will develop a yellowish tinge or be irreparably stained by Cheeto dust.[/quote<] Eww. I don't eat at my computer. No cheetos for my mouse or keyboard. Although I'm not going to buy any white peripherals any time soon.

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<] Eww. I don't eat at my computer. [/quote<] I don't understand this foreign concept. There is likely a week's worth of crumbs in my keyboard alone...

• BobbinThreadbare

When I was growing up, my parents never let me eat or even use the computer without washing my hands.

• mesyn191

Just get a washable keyboard and use wipes for the mouse/pad/desk top. Once a week or 2 keeps things reasonably clean unless you’re a slob.

• Rakhmaninov3

I thought a computer was kinda like a kitchen table or a TV tray, what else is there to do in front of it??

😛

• lilbuddhaman

Get an “Official Portal Mouse” license on this thing and they’d sell a million.

p.s. wtb leftie version (Razer’s leftie mouse was shoddy at best, a wasted $80)

• indeego

pinch.
    pinch.
    pinch.

• Goty

If my G5 ever finally decides to give out, I’ll definitely be giving this a look.

• kamikaziechameleon

When the refresh the rat 9 I wonder if they’ll address how hard it is to remove the battery.

• kamikaziechameleon

not a fan of the majority of white washing in tech these days but that is half storm trooper half I robot and I dig it.

• kamikaziechameleon

first post and a double at that.