UPDATED: Valve announces Counter-Strike sequel

Before the Modern Warfare and Bad Company series ran realistic team-based combat into the ground, there was Counter-Strike. Valve’s once-staggeringly popular multiplayer shooter hasn’t made too many headlines since its 2004 makeover, but it looks set to make a comeback—and, hopefully, show the new kids how it’s done.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has the details, although those are sparse at the moment. Here’s the gist of it: Valve apparently invited some folks to its headquarters and showed them a title called Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. News broke out on Reddit, on the E-Sports Entertainment Facebook page, and on the Steam forums, where CS co-creator Cliffe confirmed the title’s name.

As RPS points out, the E-Sports Entertainment Facebook posting says more news is coming in the morning. Chances are Valve is gearing up for the big reveal and was just revving up the hype machine ahead of time.

I sank more evenings than I’d care to admit into both the original CS and CS: Source, both of which just felt like they were tuned to perfection. There was something addictive about emptying a P90 into someone during a crazed rush to the bomb site—or playing cat and mouse during the last couple of minutes of a round, when a small number of surviving players (sometimes just me and one other guy) sneaked around a mostly empty map, trying to either hunt each other down or complete the objective before the clock ran out. For all their pizazz and purported realism, games like the Modern Warfare series never seemed quite as fun to me—or as memorable.

Update 1:42 PM: Valve has put up a Steam store page for the game, so I guess it’s official.

The page contains a few additional tidbits of information:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.
CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

Valve is co-developing the game with the folks at Hidden Path Entertainment, and it’s shooting for an early 2012 release.

• VinnyC

Valve, please don’t forget about HL2 ep3… it’s been four years with no news…

They haven’t forgotten, people won’t let them.

They just can’t be bothered because it’s not multiplayer and that’s where it’s at these days.

• provoko

awp and de dust, what would be the point? other than for profit.

• VILLAIN_xx

Modern warfare had team based combat?

• ImSpartacus

FREE TO PLAY.

I’m calling it now. This will be free to play.

• Mystic-G

Personally, I’m more interested in Tactical Intervention.

• jcw122

How do you call something without a story, a sequel?

• Meadows

Probably a “sequel”, continuation, or advancement from a design- and/or technological standpoint.

• Saber Cherry

They better not announce some “Online Only” BS at the last minute, like with Diablo 3.

• njsutorius

you do realize this is an online game right? or were you being sarcastic?

• pikaporeon

im pretty sure that’s the joke

“or were you being sarcastic”

Did you really have to ask?

/facepalm.

• TurtlePerson2

I’ll probably play it when it comes out, but I’m not quite sure what they can add. The matchmaking stuff will be nice to help newer players get into it, but I already have servers that I like to play on.

On a gameplay front, I think that CS is perfectly balanced and I don’t see any way that it could really be improved. I hope that I’m wrong, but I’m not sure if I’ll enjoy this as much as I’ve enjoyed playing CS:S.

• DrCR

What made COD4 rubbish is that a MP5 could penetrate like a G3.

I have high hopes for CS GO base on how different cartridges (not specifically, but different guns) were modelled in the old CS games.

I guess I’m a bit of a geek in more than one way though…

• Bensam123

Nah, I loved Tom Clancy games (before they were CoDafied). They provided very nice levels of realism as far as which guns you choose. I never saw anything like that in CS though… Killing someone across the map with a shotgun comes to mind…

• TREE

Actually my friends and I tested the damage model used in CS with a variety of guns; we concluded that the level of detail used within the games weapon mechanics was vigorously detailed and well articulated. This was in sharp contrast to today’s more “modern, advanced shooters” like Bad Company 2 and COD.

• Rakhmaninov3

I know there are a lot of gun enthusiasts here at TR, but I have to wonder how many FPS programmers in their early 20s have actually shot the guns they simulate in their games. Nobody ever gets big revolvers right, in reality a .45 hand cannon will smash you in the face on recoil if you don’t hold it with 2 hands and steady yourself before shooting it. There’s no running sideways while shooting one repeatedly with one hand.

Obv some creative license has to be taken in order to make the game playable/fun, but some games really get damage/range/penetration attributes horribly wrong, like you said. Maybe the kids writing the games should take a few trips to the shooting range before defining shooting properties 🙂

• Bensam123

Yup… from some dev diaries I’ve read, they do actually spend time with the weapons (field trips), yet they still fail to capture the nature of most firearms. A case and point example is LMGs functioning like assault rifles and SMG functioning like underpowered assault rifles. Everything seems to be a assault rifle with the exception of a sniper rifle or a shotgun. All of the guns have the same armor penetration characteristics (including shotguns). Shotguns usually end up being ridiculously clunky and the whole idea of one is lost on them (being completely useless at medium-long range and instant kills in close quarters).

Games like Ravenshield actually allowed you to switch ammo types and use different sorts of ammo, which actually did have an impact on how well you could take down an enemy.

• Bensam123

…first shot from a AK-47 always hits the target regardless of moving, jumping, or being shot? A desert eagle, a .50 caliber hand gun, is insanely accurate? If you’ve looked at any reputable website. The shots fired are ridiculously inaccurate (due to the length of the barrel and the size of the round), have ridiculous recoil, and after firing 6-7 shots your wrist goes numb so you can’t properly aim. Not to mention if you fire it wrong you can snap your wrist.

I think you’re full of BS. CS has about as much in common with realistic weapons as UT3 does.

I’d suggest browsing worldguns for a bit before making any claims like that or even wikipedia. Bad company 2 does a quite a bit better job of portraying weapon ballistics and mechanics then CS does, but they both aren’t anything special.

• travbrad

I played the original CS a lot when I was younger, but it’s hard to get excited about another sequel. I assume they are going to be using the Source engine still?

What is early 2012 in Valve-time?

• Bensam123

The CS community will never have it. Just as every time they tried to change the past titles, the community explodes in negativity. Remember when they added a real market economy to the game and people couldn’t just buy a deagle instantly? Yeah.

Just make a new IP valve, CS isn’t going to change… it can’t.

• cheapFreeAgent

Yeah !!! I vote for de_dust !!!!

• ShadowTiger

I think we can all agree that Valve is due for something fresh and new… Dota… CS… Portal… even another Half Life game… none of these are going to upset the market.

Valve is becoming like Blizzard (in that its focusing on existing franchises and not developing new ones)… and I am much more interested in new IP than old ones at this point.

Everyone I talk to says that while newer games like Portal 2 and Starcraft 2 are polished and high quality experiences… that they fail to enchant us as much as the original ones did. Key word: original.

• Skrying

Valve has two IPs in the last four years, that’s not exactly rare. I’m fine with new Counter-Strike, honestly I think that type of game play is becoming rare in the FPS world and finding a CS:S server that’s tolerable (in terms of the mods used and the community there) is nearly impossible at this point because it’s become so isolated.

• TardOnPC

Also never got into CS. I played a round or two and it felt like my character was moving at light speed. Seemed like a run and gun abomination. Worse than COD.

• Billstevens

I realize CS isn’t for everyone and its really a hate or love relationship because of the shooting and moving mechanics.

But I have never played any other modern day based FPS with as balanced a pacing and a solid community.

Every gun needs to be mastered to understand its spray mechanics and its usefulness in different situations, hence why you cant jump into the game and just be awesome combine with the classic no re-spawn which usually forces you to learn to play with your team and not just blaze off and get blasted in the face…

This game is far from realistic yet and it is probably the twichest game I have ever played given its combination of having to stop and quickly line up your shot to hit a target and an almost guaranteed 1 or 2 shot kill with any gun and a head shot.

While the game is far from realistic but its game mechanics are unique and fun and force a level of team play I have never seen required in any other FPS including all these bullshit run and gun fuck fests you see in COD and COD2 with infinite repsawn.

In CS the better team will always win and there are plenty of well run dedicated servers to accommodate that level of play. For ever uptight clan server there is a laid back one with team members consistently taking care of cheating in house with local admins using fun and creative mods and actually talking and having fun and quickly removing annoying, offensive and unwelcome elements.

• ludi

Thing is, if you went with the run-and-gun approach against good players, you got to spend most of your gametime in spectator mode. Learning to find your own ideal weapon balances and playing against the psychology of the other players, was a big part of what made the game so fun.

Otherwise, yeah, it would get kind of dull and repetitive.

• Meadows

You haven’t played a real shooter like Quake.
      CS, fast? You must be jesting.

• Krogoth

CS is brutally fast at higher levels of play.

Especially on servers that have crank up the game speed.

• Meadows

• Krogoth

Guess, you never seen higher-tier CS gameplay.

You’re confusing high mouse sensitivity and twitch with “fast”.

• Krogoth

Nope, the rounds rarely last more than three minutes on most maps.

They are usually over under two minutes.

The fighting itself only lasts for 15 and 20 seconds tops.

Quake and UT have nothing on that, except for Instagib matches.

• trackerben

When rushing dust to grenade middle door then jump in I rarely outlived 6 secs. I would last a few more seconds when I toss fb then run in and go right to join the gaggle of blinded Ts rushing the site.

• TurtlePerson2

Were you playing CS: GunGame? CS is very slow paced compared CoD (except hardcore mode). I can understand people not liking CS, but it’s not a run and gun style game at all.

• Krogoth

CS = Quake DM + Hit-scan weapons + round-based respawning

Enough said

• Zoomer

Not true. Quake has a much lighter, faster feel to it.

• Krogoth

That’s before Valve nerfed “bunny-hopping” and tone the speed down in post-CS 1.6 and CS:S .

• KoolAidMan

Someone hasn’t played Doom or Quake

• Meadows

Doom-era games (including Duke Nukem 3D) were amazing, sprint mode transformed you into something invincible, skating the floors at the speed of jet aircraft.

• anotherengineer

CS is life!

• trackerben

Something old for something new…

If World War Two had been an online Real Ttime Strategy game, the chat room traffic would have gone something like this.

*Hitler[AoE> has joined the game.*
    *Eisenhower has joined the game.*
    *paTTon has joined the game.*
    *Churchill has joined the game.*
    *benny-tow has joined the game.*
    *T0J0 has joined the game.*
    *Roosevelt has joined the game.*
    *Stalin has joined the game.*
    *deGaulle has joined the game.*
    Roosevelt: hey sup
    T0J0: y0
    Stalin: hi
    Churchill: hi
    Hitler[AoE>: cool, i start with panzer tanks!
    paTTon: lol more like panzy tanks
    T0JO: lol
    Roosevelt: o this fockin sucks i got a depression!
    benny-tow: haha america sux
    Stalin: hey hitler you dont fight me i dont fight u, cool?
    Hitler[AoE>; sure whatever
    Stalin: cool
    deGaulle: **** Hitler rushed some1 help
    Hitler[AoE>: lol byebye frenchy
    Roosevelt: i dont got crap to help, sry
    Churchill: wtf the luftwaffle is attacking me
    Roosevelt: get antiair guns
    Churchill: i cant afford them
    benny-tow: u n00bs know what team talk is?
    paTTon: stfu
    Roosevelt: o yah hit the navajo button guys
    deGaulle: eisenhower ur worthless come help me quick
    Eisenhower: i cant do **** til rosevelt gives me an army
    paTTon: yah hurry the fock up
    Churchill: d00d im gettin pounded
    deGaulle: this is fockin weak u guys suck
    *deGaulle has left the game.*
    Roosevelt: im gonna attack the axis k?
    benny-tow: with what? ur wheelchair?
    benny-tow: lol did u mess up ur legs AND ur head?
    Hitler[AoE>: ROFLMAO
    T0J0: lol o no america im comin 4 u
    Roosevelt: wtf! thats bullsh1t u ***s im gunna kick ur asses
    T0JO: not without ur harbors u wont! lol
    Roosevelt: u little biotch ill get u
    Hitler[AoE>: wtf
    Hitler[AoE>: america hax, u had depression and now u got a huge fockin army
    Hitler[AoE>: thats bullsh1t u hacker
    Churchill: lol no more france for u hitler
    Hitler[AoE>: tojo help me!
    T0J0: wtf u want me to do, im on the other side of the world retard
    Hitler[AoE>: fine ill clear you a path
    Stalin: WTF u arsshoel! WE HAD A FoCKIN TRUCE
    Hitler[AoE>: i changed my mind lol
    benny-tow: haha
    benny-tow: hey ur losing ur guys in africa im gonna need help in italy soon sum1
    T0J0: o **** i cant help u i got my hands full
    Hitler[AoE>: im 2 busy 2 help
    Roosevelt: yah thats right biznitch im comin for ya
    Stalin: church help me
    Churchill: like u helped me before? sure ill just sit here
    Stalin: dont be an arss
    Churchill: dont be a commie. oops too late
    Eisenhower: LOL
    benny-tow: hahahh oh sh1t help
    Hitler: o man ur focked
    paTTon: oh what now biotch
    Roosevelt: whos the cripple now lol
    *benny-tow has been eliminated.*
    benny-tow: lame
    Roosevelt: gj patton
    paTTon: thnx
    Hitler[AoE>: WTF eisenhower hax hes killing all my sh1t
    Hitler[AoE>: quit u hacker so u dont ruin my record
    Eisenhower: Nuts!
    benny~tow: wtf that mean?
    Eisenhower: meant to say nutsack lol finger slipped
    paTTon: coming to get u hitler u paper hanging hun ****socker
    Stalin: rofl
    T0J0: HAHAHHAA
    Hitler[AoE>: u guys are fockin gay
    Hitler[AoE>: ur never getting in my city
    *Hitler[AoE> has been eliminated.*
    benny~tow: OMG u noob you killed yourself
    Eisenhower: ROFLOLOLOL
    Stalin: OMG LMAO!
    Hitler[AoE>: WTF i didnt click there omg this game blows
    *Hitler[AoE> has left the game*
    paTTon: hahahhah
    T0J0: WTF my teammates are n00bs
    benny~tow: shut up noob
    Roosevelt: haha wut a moron
    paTTon: wtf am i gunna do now?
    Eisenhower: yah me too
    T0J0: why dont u attack me o thats right u dont got no ships lololol
    Eisenhower: fock u
    paTTon: lemme go thru ur base commie
    Stalin: go to hell lol
    paTTon: fock this sh1t im goin afk
    Eisenhower: yah this is gay
    *Roosevelt has left the game.*
    Hitler[AoE>: wtf?
    Eisenhower: sh1t now we need some1 to join
    *tru_m4n has joined the game.*
    tru_m4n: hi all
    T0J0: hey
    Stalin: sup
    Churchill: hi
    tru_m4n: OMG OMG OMG i got all his stuff!
    tru_m4n: NUKES! HOLY **** I GOT NUKES
    Stalin: d00d gimmie some plz
    tru_m4n: no way i only got like a couple
    Stalin: omg dont be gay gimmie nuculer secrets
    T0J0: wtf is nukes?
    T0J0: holy ****holy****hoylshti!!!111
    *T0J0 has been eliminated.*
    *The Allied team has won the game!*
    Eisenhower: awesome!
    Churchill: gg noobs no re
    T0J0: thats bull**** u fockin suck
    *T0J0 has left the game.*
    *Eisenhower has left the game.*
    Stalin: next game im not going to be on ur team, u guys didnt help me for ****
    Churchill: wutever, we didnt need ur help neway dumbarss
    tru_m4n: l8r all
    benny~tow: bye
    Churchill: l8r
    Stalin: fock u all
    tru_m4n: shut up commie lol
    *tru_m4n has left the game.*
    benny~tow: lololol u commie
    Churchill: ROFL
    Churchill: bye commie
    *Churchill has left the game.*
    *benny~tow has left the game.*
    Stalin: i hate u all ***s
    *Stalin has left the game.*
    paTTon: lol no1 is left
    paTTon: weeeee i got a jeep
    *paTTon has been eliminated.*
    paTTon: o sh1t!
    *paTTon has left the game.*

• StuG

That was pretty funny.

• Alexko

Yeah. Whoever wrote this doesn’t have a good grasp of the HUGE role played by the Soviet Union in the allied victory, but still funny.

or you could’ve just posted the gif instead of taking up so many lines. it’s even on youtubes: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7KviSgGtpM[/url<]

• thanatos355

Don’t be hatin’.

• lilbuddhaman

Consider this:
    With the success of TF2’s item shop, crafting, and drop system; will something similar (but more focused on balance and ‘realism’) be a core feature of this new CS ? What will they do to incorporate micro-transactions while still maintaining the same “feel” of the original ?

• sweatshopking

i’m sure it will be. BUY A NEW HAT FOR YOUR TERRORIST. they’re not going to turn that money train off, and even portal has stupid hats. Don’t worry though, whatever they decide to do, valve fans will be happy to pay it.

• yogibbear

Not only was the game originally a mod, but pretty much every game mode that is considered “modern” or “original” in newer fps’ actually originated as someone’s map or mod for CS first. (although admittedly i will let quake & ut have a few game modes to their name sake). E.g. the kill someone with a pistol, upgrade to next pistol, kill someone else, upgrade to rifle tier 1 mode. (Gunplay mod?). Being the last person remaining on your team and just knowing that everyone is bitching in the chat / Voip about how dumb you are because you don’t know the last remaining CT has already got the hosties on italy and dragging them back the OTHER route to spawn…. then when you get into the house… realising the hosties are gone, and SPRINTING like an idiot only to get knifed in the back by the ct hiding on a ledge in the tunnel with the hosties stopped just around the corner… is classic. And this is the type of gameplay I want back.

• [+Duracell-]

[quote<]E.g. the kill someone with a pistol, upgrade to next pistol, kill someone else, upgrade to rifle tier 1 mode. (Gunplay mod?)[/quote<] This is gungame, one of the better custom game types to be invented.

• squeeb

Still remember playing the beta for CS back in 1999.

• Aphasia

And CS in itself was partly based on the same concept as the Quake 1 mod Navy Seals and even moreso Action Quake 2 teamplay mod for Quake 2. Not that strange since one of the CS-devs was also the one doing Navy Seals and Action Quake 2.

I actually went from Action Quake 2 directly to 1.6 and then onto CS:S.

Yep. Quake I and II were the golden days of massively moddable engines spawning just about every gameplay genre we see in current FPS games.

• yogibbear

Yes x tau ^ 1 gazillion.

• kamikaziechameleon

The thing you gotta love about CS was how intensely hard the game was as a beginner, not just because of the player community but also because of the game design. The round structure made it extremely slow to learn as opposed to quick respawns in TF and UT.

I loved CS and CS:Source. I hope that this new one keeps the classic game modes but offers more modern ones as well. I’d really enjoy some Domination type rounds even larger levels for some other CTF type game modes or something. If you keep the weapon designs of core CS and just update the graphics and maintain the standard of quality for level design I would enjoy about anywere the game goes in terms of design and gameplay. No modern games keep up with the tight controls and level design standards that CS laid out over 10 years ago.

• indeego

Yep. My experience was being invited to play at a LAN party, coming from playing Q3/Q3:A and getting my ass handed to me real quick. I was decent at Q3. I couldn’t understand it, why didn’t my skillz transfer?

~6 hours later I wasn’t any better in the leaderboard rankings and I pretty much gave up. The graphics seemed outdated, went back to Q3, never looked back.

• sweatshopking

this. never got into CS. too much WAITING. omg. when i wasn’t married, my mom hated video games. gaming time was precious, i can’t be sitting there wasting 80% of my game time waiting for a round to end! wife, same deal. time is precious.

• yogibbear

The best thing to do is to start as T’s on a hostage map, or play on pistol v pistol maps or those pool maps with gun pickups rather than fueled by cash. Quick rounds. Exposure to every weapon type. Minimal advantages in cashflow to the more experienced players. However, going to something like a scout_knife map with minimal gravity would definitely turn some people off… BUT IT IS THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER.

• anotherengineer

Just don’t die 😉

• Krogoth

It is another hint that the HL3 is on the horizon……

BTW, here comes AWP and AK-47/M4 whiners.

• [+Duracell-]

All the pros use the Riot Shield.

• yogibbear

AK 4 life. For some reason it always felt like it had improved accuracy when you were a CT with an AK. 🙂 … probably just the trophies of war syndrome.

Fool! Valve can’t count to 3. No HL3. This isn’t even “CS3”, it’s got a subtitle. :p

• gbcrush

OG Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear FTW!

Green up to reduce lag! 😀

• TheEmrys

Rogue Spear was the best. Loved that game. It was funny when all the CS people would come on to GS:A and ask “Where is the jump button?”

• nico1982

Rogue Spear :'( Unfortunately that genere is dead and deeply buried. The closest thing are (way too) massive scale simulations like ARMA, plagued with bugs, muddled controls and choppy performance. And by looking at the upcoming title even those are on the way out.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Best news I’ve heard all year.

• Spurenleser

Go go go!

• TaBoVilla

cover me!

• CampinCarl

Get in position and wait for my go.

• Vasilyfav

You take the point!

• yogibbear

Need backup!

• yogibbear

Stick together!

• yogibbear

Enemy SPOTTED!

• [+Duracell-]

Storm the front!

• Glix

Taking fire, need assistance!

• adamwzl

Negative

• TaBoVilla

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

• adamwzl

Get of there, it’s gonna blow!

• Glix

Protect the VIP team!

• sweatshopking

YOU’RE A BUNCH OF NERDY TARDS.

• yogibbear

Is it worse that when I read each one I know the exact two button combo to bring them up?

• KamikaseRider

I don’t know what’s worse: You knowing the key combo or me reading each one with the same pronunciation as the game.

• ludi

I WAS ABOUT TO HAND OUT SOME INDISCRIMINATE JUSTICE!

Oh wait, wrong game.

• trackerben

Player1>gg
      Player2>gga
      Player3> gga bye’all
      Player4>gg
      Player5>F* that

• FireGryphon

Thank you all! I read the comments in the CS voice and it brought back memories.

• Spurenleser

These radio messages were from before there was in-game voice chat to be annoyed through 😀

• TheQat

CS and CS: Source are still pretty “staggeringly popular.” They stay way up high on the list of most-played games on Steam, as far as I know

• Ryu Connor

[url<]http://store.steampowered.com/stats/[/url<] Yeah. Counter-Strike is bigger on a daily basis than Battlefield or CoD on PC.

• Aphasia

It’s actually quite surprising how big the old counterstrike is, but at least CS:S has moved up to be almost comparable nowdays.

Comparing with CoD and Battleifled arent perhaps that fair though since both of them has a huge console-following that are playing it there instead of the PC. Still, CoD on PC only gets to be either as CS or CS:S when you take both MW2 and Blops together, while I would bet that most Battlefield players have the standalone version and not the Steam version. Would be great to see the stats tracking for that though, the stats pages show current online players now to be just short of 20K for PC and PS3 each and 15K for 360.

• Corrado

I’m sure they’re mostly separate teams, but…. you’re putting resources into making this instead of Half Life 3? Really?

• Farting Bob

Valve will make anything as long as it means they can wait a few more years to make HL3. Im sure one day they will accidently get to the point where they have enough of the game made that they have to start pushing it as their next main release, but they do like to distract themselves.

Luckily for us, every time they do get distracted, they shit gold.

• stupido

Actually what is the problem with HL3? Is it the story?

• TaBoVilla

nah, they’re probably just figuring out how to include hats on general game mechanic

• sweatshopking

it’s probably going to be similar to hl2, and imo that’s the problem. HL was gold, HL2 was mediocre. like i said in the other post, TOO MUCH WAITING.

• squeeb

Perhaps the this is built on the HL3 engine? *shrug*

I would assume they have been working on that for some time now…