Deal of the week: SSDs, PSUs, and an LCD with a VA panel

We have an interesting mix of deals for you this week, starting with something you might expect: an SSD. 120GB versions of Intel’s 320 Series solid-state drive can be had for just $205 at Newegg right now—a $30 discount. There are no rebates involved, and shipping is free. However, you should be aware that Intel has yet to resolve a firmware bug that causes some 320 Series SSDs to lose all but 8MB of their capacity after an unexpected power loss. A fix is in the works, but it’s not ready yet, so be sure to keep your backups up to date.

If the 320 Series doesn’t strike your fancy, perhaps you’ll find OCZ’s Agility 3 120GB more attractive. This puppy should be quite a bit faster, and it costs only $5 more than the 320 Series. There’s also a mail-in rebate that knocks the Agility’s price down to $190.

Our final Newegg deal requires a little more effort. Corsair’s TX750 V2 power supply is $35 off the usual asking price of $145. Enter promo code COPSUA before August 14, and you can knock another $10 off the price. There’s also a $15 mail-in rebate that drops the PSU’s price down to a cool $85.

The best deal of the week is reserved for Canadians, who can pick up Benq’s BL2400PU LCD monitor at NCIX for half the $400 asking price. This 24-incher has a VA panel with a 1080p resolution, so you can turn your nose up to the TN crowd. The height-adjustable stand swivels and rotates, and there’s even an DisplayPort input. I’m tempted to pick up a couple for myself.

In addition to that sweet monitor deal, NCIX has a couple of other intriguing bargains in its Back to School sale. Corsair’s HX520W PSU can be nabbed for only $70 after a hefty discount, and the Agility 3 SSD is just $160 after a $30 mail-in rebate. The Agility is also available through NCIX’s US outlet, but the other deals are not.

• Plazmodeus

What is it that makes the Benq BL2400PU so attractive? What is the advantage of a VA panel? It doesn’t seem to have a really wide colour gamut, ands it’s got that reduced pixel 1080p aspect ratio. Why is that the one?

• Voldenuit

*VA panels are 8 bit.

They have slower response times than IPS or TN panels, but if you’re after good color reproduction, they’re better than TN panels.

• burntham77

A 120 gig SSD for about 180 sounds great, especially since that is what I paid for my 64 gig not too long ago. I’m still waiting for the 256 gig models to get under 400. C’mon…

• ImSpartacus

I can’t wait for 256GB drives to approach $200. By next year, we’ll finally have no compromises drives for a reasonable price.

• Ryhadar

Now I know why you said that the the monitor on sale was reserved for Canadians.

$50 for shipping to the USA? No thanks. It’s not NCIX’s fault, but still…

• barich

I’d take an Intel SSD with a known bug over an OCZ SSD with who knows what bugs any day.

• Rageypoo

Been using my OCZ agility 2 for 2 years now, in 3 different machines, 2 different sanitary wipes, the drive is still at 100%, and hasn’t lost a single bit of speed, either I got lucky, or I just know how to use the drive right.

• ImSpartacus

You’re lying. It HAS lost speed. It’s absolutely impossible for it not to lose performance. Such a an absurd remark leads any rational person to question your entire comment.

• 5150

Not that I’m an OCZ apologist, but if it doesn’t “feel” like it hasn’t lost speed, in my opinion, it hasn’t. Benchmarks are for ePeen, real life results are far more important.

• indeego

Only been out since April/May 2010.

• Voldenuit

The [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-036&nm_mc=EMCWL-082011&cm_mmc=EMCWL-082011-_-index-_-Item-_-17-171-036<]Cooler Master Silent Pro M600[/url<] modular PSU is available for $69.99 after MIR, and should provide more than enough power for most enthusiast builds. It's also modular and very quiet (I ran a M700 in my previous primary system). If you want more power the M700 is only $5 more than the 750TX V2 (after applying all discounts and MIRs), for some, that is definitely worth the added cost for the convenience and tidiness that modular PSUs allow.

• indeego

[quote<] If the 320 Series doesn't strike your fancy, perhaps you'll find OCZ's Agility 3 120GB more attractive. This puppy should be quite a bit faster, and it costs only $5 more than the 320 Series. There's also a mail-in rebate that knocks the Agility's price down to $190.[/quote<] No.

• Stickem

Corsair’s HX520W PSU at $70 CDN is a terrific price for a modular power supply!
    From memory I paid more like $109 each on sale for my 2 (don’t ask) 4 years ago.

• grantmeaname

$145-35-10-15=$85

• Dissonance

Math is hard on Fridays. Fixed.

• 5150

<insert immature joke here>

• StefanVonS

Can’t say you didn’t add fuel to that one… insert….

• yehuda

Good deals on desktop and laptop memory. 8GB for $35 w/ FS on Newegg.

[url<]http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=435887&t=3197579[/url<]