Google to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

Looks like Google is serious about this whole Android thing. The search giant has coughed up $12.5 billion to purchase Motorola Mobility. Whoa.

As Google’s blog post on the subject points out, Motorola was a founding member of the Open Handset Alliance, an industry group dedicated to developing Android as an open platform for mobile devices. After acquiring one of its biggest handset partners, Google remains committed to keeping Android open. Motorola will be run as a separate company, and it will license Android just like everyone else.

Picking up Motorola expands Google’s patent portfolio, which the company says will allow it to better defend Android from "anti-competitive patent attacks." Google’s other Android partners sounds like they’re in favor of the move—at least officially. Engadget has comments from the heads of HTC, LG, and Sony Ericsson that all praise Google for stepping up to defend Android and its partners. I wonder what they really think.

Interestingly, Google mentions in its blog post that Motorola is a "market leader in home devices and video solutions." This acquisition may have implications that go beyond the realm of smartphones and tablets.

• Bensam123

Wow, so they basically acquired the company to avoid getting nailed with patent lawsuits. 12.5 billion to avoid a messed up patent system…

Ah my god, reading down in the comments someone beat me to it.

• Krogoth

Also allowing Google to continue to put pressure on Apple in the mobile arena…..

and:

Lodsys
        Oracle
        Microsoft
        etc

• End User

The big winner here is Motorola. They pushed Google to the wall. Motorola got Google to pay way more than the value of the company. The public threats by Motorola last week (to collect IP royalties from other Android makers and to support WP7) were part of Motorola’s negotiation strategy. It worked beautifully.

The 12.5 billion Google spent is almost two years worth of profits. Ouch!

• NeelyCam

In five years, 95% of all smartphones are made by four big players, each with their own cell phone OS:

1) Microsoft Mobile Phones (formerly known as Nokia Mobile Phones)
    2) Google Mobility
    3) Apple
    4) Intel Mobile

Other players have disappeared from the market due to lack of OS support from the big four.

• Decelerate

So in essence Apple’s business model was the right one.

• UberGerbil

I’m not sure that’s a foregone conclusion, but it looks like at least some of the other players think so ATM. There is a long tradition in tech of imitating your competitor until you can think of something better, at which point you switch to that and do your best to both kill him and deny you were ever doing anything similar.

• Anonymous Coward

For a phone…

• A_Pickle

Which is [i<]the most[/i<] personal computer you'll ever use. Apple's business model sets a terrible, terrible precedent -- and shame on us consumerist, braindead Americans for subsidizing it.

• destroy.all.monsters

Wait, you’re an american now? So that accent from your prank on Faylure was phony?

• anotherengineer

In 5 yrs the above 4 companies will probably own/buy out all the other tech companies around.

• Deanjo

1,2,3 for sure. As far as 4 goes they have a long history of over promising and under delivering when it comes to items other then x86 CPU’s.

• UberGerbil

Also, #4 needs more explanation on the OS. Maybe they’ll partner with HP, seeing as how well Itanium worked out.

• Skrying

I would assume the OS would be MeeGo.

^ This.

• UberGerbil

Well, that’s all I could think of either, but if that’s the case we might as well cut the list off at 3 and be done with it.

• NeelyCam

How so? Nokia’s MeeGo phone got great reviews. Once it’s supported by better hardware (=Intel’s cell phone CPUs), it will be known as The iPhone Killer.

• sweatshopking

i doubt it will kill the iphone. that product is a velben good, and is often purchased for no other reason than status.

LOL

• sweatshopking

LOL fail. you already lost that argument. 😛

• End User

Really? I ripped your veblen (not velben) goods argument apart in that other post.

• sweatshopking

i must have missed it. i’ll check it again i don’t remember what story it was on 🙁 i’m aware it’s veblen, too. it was a typo. remember, i did bring it up.

• A_Pickle

Agreed. I’d be willing to bet that iOS wouldn’t be nearly as popular if anyone other than Apple made it. Apple has a history of introducing sub-par products and selling them like hotcakes — it’s brilliant, because it locks in a userbase before they know they have a choice.

Down with iOS!

• End User

So very true. The only decent product that Apple made in the past decade was the Power Mac G4 Cube.

• destroy.all.monsters

Who will make it? What’s the incentive? The only reason to even consider it is if Android gets nailed by a perfect storm of IP concerns.

Nokia was Meego’s, and hence intel’s, last chance.

• NeelyCam

Anybody. Intel makes a reference design, and HTC/LG starts mass-producing.

Hell – Intel might start making phones themselves, who knows. Why not, right? You design all the hardware, all the software and package it all into a reference build… you might as well extract the last remaining bit of the profit margin: mass-production and selling of phones.

• destroy.all.monsters

You didn’t answer my question. What’s the incentive? You’re not showing that there is any compelling reason for anyone to go the Meego/intel route.

I am willing to entertain the notion that there might be a reason to do so but you are not providing it.

• Coulda

So which company is Cyberdyne and which OS is Skynet?

• NeelyCam

Google/Android of course. Google has already dropped “don’t” from their motto

• destroy.all.monsters

Intel should not be in that list. No one is adopting their platform (by which I mean Meego or any other OS they will try to ship. Intel has never been a contender in the OS stakes and will likely never be).

Unless Microsoft is will to loss leader their phones as they did with the Xbox it will likely go nowhere.

RIM, which might be dragging in the US, is doing very well everywhere else and will still be in the running. They aren’t nearly the niche player that many take them for.

HP, however, has a much harder road to hoe with their Palm devices (although I’d like to see WebOS in their printers).

Google will not close off their eco system and kill their golden goose – at least initially. Mostly the patents will be exploited against Apple – which is the only reason they’re worth even half of was paid. I wouldn’t be surprised if they spun off or sold the manufacturing division.

OS wise: I’m going to argue Android,iOS, QNX, then a sheer cliff off which everything else will be situated.

Let me revise this:

1) Microsoft Mobile Phones (formerly known as Nokia Mobile Phones)
      2) Google Mobility
      3) Apple
      4) Intel Mobile
      5) Samsung

Looks like Samsung might be buying WebOS. They already have some OS development themselves – getting WebOS would let the join the big dogs in the future of mobile computing.

• sweatshopking

i don’t see anything saying samsung is buying webos, though it might not be a bad move, just people speculating they might be. do you have a link?

• NeelyCam

[url<]http://semiaccurate.com/2011/08/19/insiders-say-there-is-one-company-looking-at-the-hp-pc-line/[/url<]

• destroy.all.monsters

Supposedly they’re looking at the PC side – not the Palm side. I can only see them buying Palm for the sake of covering their ass in the IP wars going on and to have some leverage with Google – that’s it.

If WebOs is here 5 years from now I’ll pay you 10 bucks.

• destroy.all.monsters

Zero chance that WebOs no matter who has them will beat RIM. Intel will never sell them on their own and Meego is effectively dead. Also Microsoft will continue bringing up the rear.

• TaBoVilla

does this mean we’ll have proper froyo updates for our milestones soon?

• sweatshopking

some of us clever guys bought wp7 so we KNOW we’re getting the new updates. that’s one reason i didn’t go android. i like being cutting edge.

• NeelyCam

The only problem with your plan is that you ended up with a wp7 phone.

• sweatshopking

which has the 2nd highest user satisfaction of any mobile os… more feature filled with mango (which i’m running) than any other os… so….

• End User

“2nd highest user satisfaction of any mobile os”

Wow. You are scraping the bottom of the barrel now. There are barely any users to poll. Heck, even Bada has higher sales numbers. Did they ignore the millions of Android and iOS users when they conducted this poll?

You personify the term FANBOY.

• sweatshopking

i love the way every study in the world is wrong according to you. it’s really hilarious.

[url<]http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Apple+Caught+Photoshopping+Galaxy+Tab+101+to+Look+Like+iPad+for+Lawsuit/article22459.htm[/url<]

• End User

You make it so easy! They took a “survey” of only 4,163 consumers [url<]http://goo.gl/PxgCv[/url<]. There are MILLIONS of smartphones sold every month. The survey is far too small to matter. If they kept the participant ratio to that of smartphone OS sales then they must have interviewed a combination of only 41.63 wp7 users. Your link cracked me up. It has nothing to do with our conversation. You remind me of a child throwing a tantrum. I am compelled to indulge your insanity. Here you go: [url<]http://goo.gl/1CQE8[/url<]

• sweatshopking

that’s old news. i appreciate your compulsion. it gives me something to do. come and check your old news links, and your survey standard expertise. For the google news, that’s great, but whilst i do like android, certainly more than that POS iOS, i do prefer wp7. i like using the OS better. but, tbh, i’m happy with either one. MS’s financial situation doesn’t concern me, excepting i’d like to see them continue supporting my OS of choice.

i’m happy that link cracked you up. i don’t just throw tantrums, i also poop in my pants. you’re right it has nothing to do with our conversation, but i guess you have nothing to say? oh noes! apple being dishonest? never!

fanboy 😛

• End User

Brilliant! I love how you ignore my dissection of your “survey” with your spittle at the mouth ramblings. Masterfully done.

• sweatshopking

lol. dissection? you make an assumption, which may or may not be true, then speculate that because it’s not up to [i<] your [/i<] standards, it's useless.

• End User

The facts speak for themselves.

• sweatshopking

which facts? that androids sell? that’s a fact. it’s a good os. that apple AND ms are losing market share? that’s a fact. it’s rightly deserved, on both parties. wm6.x was crappy. apple has less to offer than android. slower hardware, less options, too controlled… it’s inevitable. the more open software always wins in the end. that’s how MS won the desktop.

you also failed to reply to my post. you don’t actually SAY anything except “it’s wrong, because i say so”. it’s not an counter, it’s childish. when called on it, you divert. 😛

• End User

Good grief. I’m amazed at how fast you lost track of the original conversation. We were talking about that user satisfaction survey you referenced. I was very specific as to why that survey had very little weight behind it.

As far as Android goes I am sold. I’m looking forward to getting a Tegra 3 based tablet and an Android based phone for travel.

• sweatshopking

my point was that you were implying “facts”. i assumed you were referring to wp7 low sales numbers. i merely stated “facts”. you’re always “specific”. and you always know why every study done is “wrong”. your angry dismissal of studies that don’t agree with your brand choice is surprising. i expected more from you. you’ve let me down. 🙁

• End User

Then defend that survey. Justify its validity.

My brand choice is EVERYTHING. I’m a tech enthusiast. My favourite piece of kit is [url<]http://goo.gl/IOkm7[/url<] (running Ubuntu). I game on an Xbox 360 and on a Windows 7 rig. I've used ATI, Nvidia, AMD and Intel. You can't pin me down to one brand. You, on the other hand, are clearly under Microsoft's spell.

• sweatshopking

the validity is that they talked to 4100 smartphone users. i’m not sure the breakdown of who they talked to any more than you are. it’s the largest current satisfaction study on mobile os’s done. saying “they didn’t ask as many people as i’d like” is a useless comment. it’s not like they asked 10. we’re talking about over 4100 people. you’re argument is useless. show me a better CURRENT study, or shut up.

As for you “everything” post, i’ll call bs on that too. you game on windows 7 and xbox, not because you LOVE them, but because ubuntu and osx can’t do it. don’t give me the “i can play half life 2 on osx, and hon (which is pretty much my favorite game) on linux and osx!!” line. they simply don’t game. it’s a stupid argument.

i’m super happy you’ve purchased from the big companies. Honestly though, who hasn’t? i have ati and nvidia in my desktop RIGHT NOW. intel, AMD cpu’s too, i EVEN HAVE AN ARRANDALE WITH AN INTEL GPU IN MY LAPTOP. and have extra gpu’s from both companies on shelves. i also regularly use ubuntu, linux mint, fedora, and red hat. What’s your point? you’re still an apple shill.

as for my ms love, i have respect for the aid gates is implementing, that is unequaled, and i like using wp7. end of story. i do however, have little love for the rdf.

• End User

[quote<]the validity is that they talked to 4100 smartphone users. [/quote<] The smartphone market is hovering around 90 million units per quarter. How can you come up with valid results when you are surveying such a small fraction of that amount? [quote<]i'm not sure the breakdown of who they talked to any more than you are[/quote<] EXACTLY! That key piece of information was not disclosed. [quote<]it's the largest current satisfaction study on mobile os's done[/quote<] That means nothing. Wake me up when a numerically relevant satisfaction study is done. [quote<] show me a better CURRENT study, or shut up.[/quote<] So this one is valid until something better comes along?!? Rubbish! I'm amazed that you are still placing value on this turd. [quote<]As for you "everything" post, i'll call bs on that too. you game on windows 7 and xbox, not because you LOVE them, but because ubuntu and osx can't do it.[/quote<] I've got a ton of LOVE. I LOVE building PCs. I LOVE my case. I LOVE my PSU. I LOVE OC'ing my i7-920. I LOVE oc'ing my dual GTX 570s. I LOVE playing TF2/Metro 2033/Borderlands. I LOVE thinking about my next custom PC build project. Etc, etc, etc. That being said I also LOVE my Ubuntu and OS X systems. I'm the first one to admit that OS X based systems are not good for top tier video games [url<]http://goo.gl/nfQnG[/url<] [quote<]you're still an apple shill.[/quote<] And now you've stooped to name calling. How very low. You are desperate (to the point of being frantic) to categorize me as being Apple centric. You can't because I am not.

• sweatshopking

don’t agree. maybe you’re not sure how surveys and statistics work? you don’t need to ask 90 million people. the larger number will give you better results, but 4000 people is a good enough number to get within a few % 9 times out of 10. who’s going to finance a poll for 10 million people? nobody. i really think you should invest in a statistics course. obviously the poll isn’t perfect. IT WASN’T IN ALL COUNTRIES AND CULTURES THAT USE PHONES EITHER!! PEOPLE IN BANGLADESH MIGHT THINK OTHERWISE!!!!

seriously. take a class.

and yes. that’s how statistics works. use the best study possible, until a better one comes along. it’s not rubbish. take a class.

i’m super happy you’ve got all that love. you also have a biased RDF loving view of apple. that’s super amazing about your pc. cool story bro.

as for the name calling comment, i see memory loss is amongst your problems. you’ve called me childish at least once prior to this.

i never called you apple centric. reading comprehension fail on your part. i called you a shill. my boss was a HUGE apple fanboy, but like the rest of the world, he has to have a real pc to get work done. i said you were an apologist. and you are. you love the fruit. the fact that they’re essentially lying to courts to get what they want, will likely mean nothing to you.

[url<]http://gizmodo.com/5832614/apple-filed-misleading-evidence-against-samsungagain[/url<]

• End User

[quote<]obviously the poll isn't perfect[/quote<] We finally agree on something. [quote<] the larger number will give you better results, but 4000 people is a good enough number[/quote<] In a previous post you ripped Deanjo for referring to study with "1/10th the number" of the study you referred to (600,000). So larger numbers do matter! Oh my. [url<]http://goo.gl/vPcoJ[/url<] [quote<]i'm super happy you've got all that love. you also have a biased RDF loving view of apple.[/quote<] I roll with everything and you accuse me of having a "biased RDF loving view of apple"? Somebody around here does have a RDF but it is not me. [quote<]that's super amazing about your pc. cool story bro.[/quote<] Thanks! It means so much coming from you. [quote<]you've called me childish at least once prior to this.[/quote<] I wonder why. Lets review some sweatshopking classics: "i have no idea if the email is legit. that's now how i operate. i see something, i ctrl + c it. i don't fact check." "of course i was right. wtf did you think? i'm always right" "Linux is great, but it's a unix ripoff." "if you like. i'll wear my nothing pants, and you can wear your tight pants. we can kiss." "IT'S A DEAL. IT'S KISSING TIME." [quote<]he has to have a real pc to get work done.[/quote<] LOL. Absolutely classic. [quote<] the fact that they're essentially lying to courts to get what they want, will likely mean nothing to you.[/quote<] Heh. You keep adding to your post. Any more coming? You would love it if I defended Apple on this one! Sorry to disappoint you. They are acting like dicks. 😛

• sweatshopking

in the deanjo case, i can’t believe i am explaining this to you, but his study was OLDER, and had less than 1/10 the size of the one i was referring to. you really don’t understand this stuff, do you? a larger newer study is better than a smaller older one.

on the linux comment: [url<]http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-linux-and-unix/[/url<] I'm not sure why that's a surprise to you. they've been arguing about it for years. calling me out for name calling and then saying "you deserved it". nice one bro, you're a winner. i'm happy you liked that pc comment. i'm not sure why it's surprising. there's a reason enterprise uses windows. nope. not too much to add. glad to see you agree about the dickishness. i guess, you really can't say much else, since they're being huge jerks. one thing i [i<] do [/i<] love is the fact that you've taken the time to go back and get all those quotes from me. that's hilarious. Glad to know i'm that important to you. hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha

• End User

It’s not the technical accuracy of your “Linux is great, but it’s a unix ripoff.” statement that I find amusing. It’s the fact that you had to say it at all.

“in the deanjo case” you were only concerned about the numbers.

[quote<]there's a reason enterprise uses windows.[/quote<] Is your employer running custom apps that are not cross platform? Web apps that are only certified to run under IE6? Are you tied into Microsoft back end tech? Was something preventing your boss from running a VM? What's the scoop? [quote<]"one thing i do love is the fact that you've taken the time to go back and get all those quotes from me. that's hilarious. Glad to know i'm that important to you. hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha"[/quote<] LOL. You are very easy to find (Apple themed posts via TR's cool search tool).

• sweatshopking

you still don’t understand statistics.

yes. of course. like all major employers, we run custom apps. i managed Subway restaurants POS systems. they still run xp, and ONLY xp. software is 15 years old.

who wants’ to actually WORK in a vm? they’re ok for testing, but i wouldn’t want to work in one. maybe a server vm environment, but on a mac? no thanks.

we ran ubuntu servers, and xp. that will likely continue for some time. of course it was ie6. this is the enterprise world, you know.

• End User

If you can adopt VMs into your workflow they are a powerful and flexible tool. Assigning a fullscreen VM to a dedicated workspace really gives me the feel that I am using an OS that booted the machine regardless of whatever the host OS is (Windows/Linux/OS X).

Thanks to virtualization we can now run operating systems as if they were cross platform applications. We can run IE6 wherever the heck we want. Your boss should give it a whirl.

• A_Pickle

Can I synchronize my contacts, calendar, and files to my desktop applications over the air?

Android it is.

yes. yes you can

Cyanogenmod and its unofficial builds for specific phones keep you wayyyy up to date without too much trouble.

[url<]http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Unofficial_Ports#Motorola_Milestone[/url<]

• yfital

Not true at all,
        The Milestone has very low memory, which is very noticeable at the 2.3+ (even 2.2+) OS.

Unlocking the boot loader will give us SWAP which will basically eliminate the problem.

I really hope Motorola will finally unlock the Milestone, but i doubt it, their support for the device (and to be honest, from what i See, for later devices as well) is just horrible.

• TEAMSWITCHER

12.5 Billion dollars for patent protection? Something doesn’t add up. Google doesn’t charge anything for Android, zero, zip, nada. There is no way they would spend that much to protect Android, unless they were going to close the ecosystem. This makes far more sense, to consolidate Android profit taking with Google. That’s the biggest problem facing Android right now…no one is making “Apple like” profits from Android. Apple makes money on the phone, music and movies, developers and apps, accessories, etc.. You may hate their closed ecosystem, but it’s the most profitable, and that profit recirculates into new products. Ultimately giving Apple a big advantage moving forward in everything. Google has figured this out, and is now restructuring to be more like Apple. You read it here first.

• WillBach

[quote<]Google doesn't charge anything for Android, zero, zip, nada.[/quote<] Google charges for access to the Android Market, and all of the apps that make Android be "Android" Google Mail, Google Maps, Google Calendar, Google Talk, etc. IIRC, they also charge to use the name "Android". [quote<]That's the biggest problem facing Android right now...no one is making "Apple like" profits from Android.[/quote<] The biggest problem facing Android right now is patent infringement suits.

• esterhasz

Well put. Advertising is another piece of the puzzle as well as the media stores Google is preparing. They obviously see this as the battle for the future and with their cash reserves they’re not betting the house…

• TEAMSWITCHER

I think that Googles most vulnerable IP lawsuit is with Oracle. Motorola has nothing that they will be able to bargain with against Oracle. Sure this technique will work with Apple, but only a limited success, probably ending in a cross-licence agreement. That’s not going to change the smartphone landscape significantly to justify 12.5 billion. Android is a house of cards, if Google doesn’t consolidate to a single marketplace, eliminate hardware fragmentation, eliminate malware, and make Android more profitable for google, they will not be able keep up with Apple and Microsoft, not without continuing to rip-off their IP, which is why they are in this mess to begin with. Remember Apple is always getting to market first, limiting Google’s direction, look how bad Google Tablets are selling, it’s pathetic. Google can’t keep this up forever. Google is changing, that much is certain, but into what, that is the big question.

[quote<]they will not be able keep up with Apple and Microsoft[/quote<] /spittake Microsoft? Really? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• TEAMSWITCHER

Last time I checked Microsoft, still owned the corporate PC. That is worth a lot.

Oh, come on. Like a Moto Mobile acquisition is going to help with that. This is all about phones, and MS is nearly non-existent.

• sweatshopking

i don’t know if i’d write them off yet. even though i do have a wp7 device, i think we might see some oems transitioning as the licensing fees for ip are more expensive then a wp7 license.

You’re still a good ways away from that yet, as this is going to be a loooooong court battle.

• End User

I would not be surprised to see Googorola fight back against that settlement between Microsoft and HTC over IP infringement.

• sweatshopking

how? MS is currently suing motorola successfully. the patents in question are fine, but they’re media heavy, and i’m not sure they’ll be able to do much to actually protect android from MS and apple. i don’t really care, as i think the patent system is broken, and don’t really care if all three companies destroy each other.

• End User

To be honest patents make my head spin.

• sweatshopking

i think that’s the idea. confuse the F out of everyone so nobody sells anything but you. 🙂

• NeelyCam

[quote<]if Google doesn't consolidate to a single marketplace, eliminate hardware fragmentation,[/quote<] Am I the only one who thinks this is going to result in an Android superphone, made by Google Mobility division? Now that the Android software ecosystem is in place, no need to have HTC etc. making Android phones when you could make them yourself and make boatloads of cash.

• fyo

The Oracle lawsuit is a non-issue at this point, considering that the judge has “suggested” that Oracle use $100 MILLION as the starting point for any claim of damages. That amount is just peanuts when all is said and done.

• flip-mode

[quote<]There is no way they would spend that much to protect Android[/quote<] Right. Why bother protecting something they've spent years and billions developing, something that is selling better than anything else, and something that maintains their search dominance and advertising revenue?

• trackerben

Let’s consider the conspiracist alternatives for fun. Like, what if there’s bigger game afoot? It could be a precursor of 2012, which at the Presidential level costs far more than that if you factor indirect costs. Like “stimulating” behest rewards in the hundreds of $Billions to industry allies. There’s a reason both parties are hiring data mining and operations experts, and no reason to suppose the work of these hired BFGs can’t be leveraged by the distributed-targeted techniques pioneered by modern marketers.

The Republicans know they have the issues momentum but also know they can’t match Democrat Social wizardry. They may mainly rely on stoking the Tea Party kettle via established media, which could be a miscalculation. The GOP may have the popular sentiment, but the Democrats have the relevant technology and strategy model. Because the big problem all political parties face cyclically is getting people energized to vote and then coordinating turnout precinct-by-precinct in contested areas.

What the incumbents may try this time is Socially-enabled rather than Socialist electioneering. Hence the need for “industry partners” for the new strategy, and they have gathered the very best. Expect Google to be more than compensated for defending current smart channels to the voting public, perhaps a tech-focused stimulus or a hand with regulatory issues. There could be evidence for this view if the Motorola deal gets a pass from the antitrust watchdogs, if the harrowing effects of the Socials are shielded from scrutiny even as their subsidiaries in flash-mobbed Europe and Middle-East are further restricted. Particularly if Google is given carte blanche to not just streamline online donations but also to develop shaping apps and sites geared to getting 2012 votes out along carefully gerrymandered boundaries.

Seen in this light, some of the recent, so-called “Arab Uprisings” may have been test exercises, initiated not long after that famous valley conference. It’s hard to imagine a better incentives and events shaping platform than ubiquitous smartphones. “There’s an app for that” may well have its iconic Droid examples in 2012.

The new paradigm may involve something as crassly obvious as twittering and facebooking flash traffic to critical polling and voting areas. Or else subtly creating newsworthy demarketing events and narratives to drive swing voters away from the messaging of “the enemies”, as the President revealingly said not long after his huddle with the Social CEOs. The party which masters the new style of “uprisings” in time would have the advantage. Which in the arena of elections always has less to do with popularity than turnout, the signature competence of social networks.

• destroy.all.monsters

I hate your posting style. Long, complex with loads of buzzwords and ultimately meaning nothing.

So true.

• trackerben

It’s just a style. I can also post short ‘n sweet. Buzzwords I don’t invent, concepts only. I only mean well, do hope to please, am here mainly to serve.

• NeelyCam

+1. Servants are always appreciated.

• Decelerate

First foray into direct hardware. I wonder if Google will resist the tempting urge they’d get if they manage 2-3 million handsets sale @ 30-40% profit margin.

And if they don’t, HTC/Samsung will need some backup plan they might not be able to afford in time(homemade OS). Especially if MS feels threatened and goes for Nokia.

• trackerben

It’s Google’s mission to increase the sum of human knowledge ahead of profits, which evolves from a trickle into future windfalls because they are smartly ceding up-front revenues to retain platform control. If immediate return was their culture they would have focused by now on licensing Android as a profit center.

• esterhasz

Also note that the stock structure with voting and non-voting shares allows the founders to fully control the company without retaining majority ownership.

• trackerben

Which is typical of oligarchy-controlled utilities in many emerging economies. It allows them to “rent out” the capacities of their companies without personally risking everything. Googles’ founders likely wish to be information oligarchs. Their desired end-goal is to quietly shape perceptions of events to help bring about a world to their liking… one where information oligarchs are not just respected captains of new economic heights, but also unequalled political arbitrators. They literally plan to help all people everywhere search for consensus on anything remotely consensual in nature. In politics as in society as in advertising, it’s profitable to be able to point somewhere and make people look.

• Decelerate

Indeed.

My argument however can be summed up as “will they resist to the temptation or will they end up straying from their path”; Either by the higher profit margins of hardware, or forced by the exit (or significant reduction of commitment) from the 3rd party Android partners.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]It's Google's mission to increase the long-term profits ahead of short-term profits[/quote<] Ftfy

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Especially if MS feels threatened and goes for Nokia.[/quote<] They are 50% done with the acquisition already.

• smilingcrow

If they enforce proper Chinese Walls between the 2 companies so that Motorola doesn’t gain any advantages over HTC etc then it shouldn’t be an issue. But you never know how large companies will react to these things as they don’t always react rationally and there will clearly be uncertainty regardless of what Google actually says. Not that there wasn’t massive uncertainty around Android anyway.

If Intel weren’t stuck in 1st gear with their strategy they may have sniffed a Window of opportunity but I can’t see that happening.

• Skrying

Does this mean my Atrix 4G will receive a patch that undoes much of the damage that came with the 2.3 patch? Probably not.

• NeelyCam

Where did you get the 2.3 patch?? I’m still on 2.2.2..

BTW, what damage? So I know not to upgrade… I was kind of hoping to get that 1080p camcorder function, but if it’ll break everything else, it’s not worth it

• BobbinThreadbare

I hope this leads to better support for cell phones.

• trackerben

Leading software house buys out pioneering hardware and marketing partner in a history-making, industry-shaping deal. This is the equivalent of Microsoft in the 1990s buying out IBM’s consumer divisions to better contest Apple and the likes of SGI and NEC. Except that this does not directly involve either a desktop hardware or OS platform in terms of business model, market valuation, product innovation, and strategic positioning. The Post-PC landscape is now populated by corporate behemoths doing tens of $Billions of business with each other and seeing non-Wintel global revenues in the fractional $Trillions.

• Ricardo Dawkins

and still with all those patents…Apple & MSFT sue the hell of Motorola. Nice jump, Google.

• Farting Bob

Spending 12.5bn on basically patents. This is why the patent system needs to be reworked. These days its impossible for a small company to break into a market because the established players own patents for everything and while they dont sue eachother because they can all countersue with their own patents, the little guy has no way to defend themselves. Its a stalemate between the big guys, and impossible for anyone else to muscle their way in without spending billions.

• lex-ington

What ever happened to the IBM patent purcahses?

If they got those and now have these, serious negotiations ahead. Apple will probably have to leave HTC and others alone now. They can sue Samsung for foolishly copying their look, but other than that . . . . . . .

I don’t see Google trying to kill off any of the other companies since certain brands have bigger names in certain areas of the world.

I think this is more in the tune of sticking it to Apple and MS.

• Dizik

What…no credit for being the first person to mention this? 😉

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=77598[/url<]

• blorbic5

I beat you by 45 minutes 😛

[url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/21466[/url<]

• just brew it!

So is Motorola Mobility going to change their name?

Motoroogle? Googorola? Motomobioogle?

• glynor

Googorola is so fantastic.

• just brew it!

That’s because it sounds like a type of cheese!

• Damage

LOL!

• mutarasector

Of course, they could always go with “GM”, “MGM”, GooMo, or MoGooMo…

• willyolio

moogles.

• destroy.all.monsters

Haha, awesome. We have a winner!

• just brew it!

Seems like a “good news, bad news” thing to me.

The good: Now they’ve got some serious ammo to use in the patent wars.

The bad: They will now be competing directly with all of the other Android phone vendors. This may end up killing Android anyway (essentially a “win the battle but lose the war” scenario).

And none of this would be necessary if our software patent system wasn’t so thoroughly borked.

[b<]Edit[/b<]: This also represents a pretty major move away from their core competencies. Hopefully historians don't look back on this deal as "the day Google lost their focus".

• eitje

They already have their Nexus line, which titularly competes with the other Android products.

• just brew it!

Yeah, but it’s just a Samsung phone with Google branding… and do you know anyone who actually owns one? I don’t.

Acquiring Moto’s phone group is huge.

• cygnus1

I thought they were made by HTC??

• just brew it!

Ahh… it appears that the answer is “both”. I’d heard Samsung; but apparently they sourced the Nexus One from HTC, then switched to Samsung for the Nexus S.

• ludi

Actually I’m using the (HTC) Nexus One and it’s a great phone for the money.

More to the point is that the Google Nexus products are sold in the international style (phone is multiband unlocked, and you buy hardware outright). In the North American market that doesn’t move too many units since the service provider incentive models demand lockin.

• Corrado

I had one. I know 3-4 other people with them as well.

I think the broader picture here is that it may push vendors towards diversifying. Why would Samsung sit around with their token WP7 phone and an almost exclusive Android smartphone lineup if they think that Google could eventually make things difficult for them. They’re going to see a real effort to have WP7, maybe WebOS phones as well.

• cegras

I do. Anecdotal evidence ahoy!

• Decelerate

Indeed about the other vendors. I wonder how they will react long-term.

• thanatos355

“The bad: They will now be competing directly with all of the other Android phone vendors.”

Yes, maybe now there will be an option for a pure Android phone without a layer of “custom ui” interference from each and every manufacturer. That. if nothing else, keeps me on the iPhone bandwagon and away from Android.

• ludi

That option already exists, it’s the Nexus line of products.

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-One-Unlocked-Android--U-S/dp/B00332YPHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313427527&sr=8-1[/url<] [url<]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Nexus-Unlocked-Phone--U-S-Warranty/dp/B004USPRM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313427527&sr=8-2[/url<]

• lex-ington

It shouldn’t keep you away. Honestly, the core uses remain. The UI like the HTC Sense is to make it appear more user friendly and polished. There are a ton of lazy people out there that refuse to learn anything – which is why I think memory loss is more rampant now – and the UI just makes “using” the phone easier for them.

Just like the iOS stuff that needs jailbreaking to tap the full potential of the phone, the Android needs it too. The real deal breaker is just how tied into iTunes is your life – if you really have nothing going on in iTunes and/or have a way you deal with all of media usage without really using iTunes, then the jump to Android or any other system is very small.

Goodbye Motoblur? :p

also: they made my DVR, which has been at my place for around 3 years. So I guess they make in-home devices.

• JMccovery

Actually, the Consumer Electronics division of Motorola made your DVR, Motorola Mobility is the part of Motorola that hasn’t made (much) money in a few years…

I wonder how HTC, Samsung and Microsoft will take this move by Google?

Does this mean that we might start to see more Motorola choices on At&t/T-Mobile/Sprint?

• flip-mode

Hey Apple & MS: suck it bichez. Google’s lawyers calling in 3… 2… 1…

• Corrado

I’m pretty sure Oracle has Google by the balls presently for infringing on Java patents. Settlement is rumored to be in the BILLIONS of dollars range.

[url<]http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20071916-38/oracle-seeks-billions-from-google-in-java-suit/[/url<] And there was emails discovered at google that basically said 'Yeah, we know we're infringing. Lets just see what happens'.

• ApockofFork

There was also a blog post by a Sun Exec (CEO?) the at the time owners of Java saying basically that they gave google permission to do whatever they want with Java so who knows how the whole thing will pan out.

• Dizik

Yup. SUN’s CEO actually congratulated Google on the launch of Android, and some people (most of which are more than likely NOT lawyers) are considering it an endorsement. Wouldn’t you know it..Oracle goes and deletes said post upon learning about it. Go figure.

[url<]http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110723095928839[/url<] [url<]http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/oracle-deletes-evidence-pointing-to-suns-approval-of-java-use-in-android/[/url<]

• flip-mode

Come on all you dorks, mod me down far enough and I’ll run into Steve Jobs! [spoiler<]sweatshopking, I'm coming for you, man![/spoiler<]

flip-mode=sweatshopking

• NeelyCam

Not enough upper-case letters for him to be ssk

Well spotted.

• sweatshopking

me and flip are bff’s. neely too. i’ve got homies all over, and in my gang, it’s homies for LIFE. WATCH YOUR BACK SCRUBS!!!!!!!!!!!

• khands

Picked up for their patents, it was kind of inevitable with all the bullshit MS and Apple have been pulling lately.

• UberGerbil