More details emerge on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is due out early next year, but the company hasn’t said much about what the actual game will entail. Worry not, because a group of competitive Counter-Strike players were invited to sample a pre-beta version of the game earlier this year. One of them, Craig "Torbull" Levine, has posted his impressions of over at ESEA News.

According to Torbull, CS: GO is built on an "updated" version of the Source engine. The graphics are apparently a step up from current versions of Counter-Strike, with Torbull singling out the game’s smooth animations and beautiful maps and player skins. A number of new weapons have also been added to the arsenal, alongside a couple of new items: decoy grenades and molotov cocktails. Interestingly, Valve appears to be intent on adjusting the weapon balance to encourage folks to use guns other than the AWP, M4, AK-47, and Desert Eagle.

The firm wants the game to appeal to professional gamers, but at the same time, it intends to keep things accessible for casual players. Different game modes may be used to serve those divergent audiences. Don’t get your hopes up for new mission types, though. Counter-terrorists will only be out to defuse bombs and rescue hostages.

As someone who started played Counter-Strike the day it was first released as a Half-Life mod, I have mixed feelings about Global Offensive. The new game looks to be more of the same, and that’s precisely why I stopped playing the original. Surely, there’s room for some innovation—or at least a few new game types—within the Counter-Strike universe. I can’t be the only one who loved the old assassination maps.

Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• Bensam123

Like I said before, if they change too much the CS community will turn rabid and go on a rampage. They can’t really change anything in the CS genre without a uproar, they really should just consider starting a new IP. That’s what happens when you let something stagnate for too long.

• yogibbear

Oh come on…. the ability for the CS community to grab someone’s modded cs map ideas and live with it demonstrates enough that wrapping good gun mechanics around any well-designed map/gameplay mode works. Whether it be mice maps, low gravity maps, gungame, awp_dust, pistols only, RPG mode, etc.

• Umbragen

Obligatory where the fuck is Episode 3 post.

• Arclight

I am also a bit dissapointed they aren’t comming up with new game types (like VIP or something). But I support the intention to update the graphics, in 2007 they still looked good maxed out but now, to me atleast, they look very outdated.

Also i hope Valve still allows for custom content creation (maps, skins, weapon models etc..) and dedicated servers. Idk about you but i was pumped in 2008 when i saw the trailer for CS: Online (which turned out to have shit graphics in the end but the CGI in the trailer looked great), so i’m pumped to see a gameplay trailer of CS:GO.

The fact that they address the weapons is also good, i mean i was tired of seing everyone playing with same weapons (M4, Ak, AWP, Deagle). Personally i loved the USP and Glock in Cs 1,6 but in Source i could rarely make use of them, the recoil for me seemed all over the place (compared to Cs 1.6).

All in all CS:GO will be for CS:S what CS:CZ was for CS 1.6…..

• satsau

quote “All in all CS:GO will be for CS:S what CS:CZ was for CS 1.6…..”

Same here from what I’ve read about it. This will not be a first day purchase, maybe 2012’s holiday sale or something.

• Jahooba

I remember trying to play this game and just getting killed a lot very quickly. I’m used to having a single-player experience that translates into multiplayer smoothly (from my Rainbow Six days).

If a game is strictly multiplayer then it gets harder to jump in and have fun, especially if you’re not learning with everyone else within the first couple of days of the game’s release. Not with all games, but CS is especially brutal in this regard.

And the players are all thugged-out angry for some reason.

• Lonewolf08

The community is so established (perhaps entrenched) it’s hard to jump in as a new player. I met resistance when I started playing in 1.5!

Your best bet would be to try to find a server with an established community that’s friendly to beginners. No easy task but they must exist. If Valve handles CS:GO in a similar manner to TF2 free to play they may host servers that many new players will connect to, making the game at least a little more accessible.

• Arclight

I met ressistence as well back in the CS 1.6 days when i started palying but in a few weeks i was already accepted in the local server community and in a few months (3 or 4) i was quite a skilled player.

Start with local servers, people are friendlier. Maybe convince your friends that live near you to buy the game and play with you. Once you move to other servers you will see and learn new tricks ranging from how to exploit the maps to how to walk, stop etc. and combine it with different weapons.

The most important things are to know the maps and how to use the weapons (learn the recoil..), the rest comes with experience. Cs is not always fun since you can get easily frustrated but if you play with friends it will be very addictive and fun.

Speaking of CS:S this days, people can’t seem to make the difference between a hacker and a very good player.

• dashbarron

This plus what Geoff said. The game was hard to get into if you weren’t immediately playing it from its release, and it quickly grew stale from lack of innovation. This leads into a larger rant of mine about Valve in general….

• voodootronix

lots of lan and bots required before jumping into online! But when you get your skills up and find the perfect storm of a server SO satisfying…used to run weekly 10 player CS:S LAN parties at my old house…great days!

• travbrad

Just out of curiosity did you try the original or source? The people left playing the original are pretty insanely skilled/experienced (the game has been out well over a decade after all). Not that source is a walk in the park, but it’ll probably be easier than trying to take on 10 year veterans 😉

Also, if you have played other Valve source games the shooting mechanics all “feel” very similar.

• Bensam123

Go on youtube and type ‘counter-strike hacks’, then watch. A keyword search on Google and 10 dollars a month makes you wonder how many people have really have spent their entire life playing a single game.

Experience doesn’t make you omniscient nor does it make the bullets always hit where you aim.

• travbrad

No doubt there are some hackers out there. For example there are wallhack textures from 2005 still work, because valve doesn’t scan any game files.

I wouldn’t necessarily assume a lot of people are hacking though, because back when I played CS I was frequently accused of just that. Even at LAN parties people basically just said “WTF” :p When you are a 14 year old kid with no job/major obligations, you can get pretty damn good at videogames.

• kamikaziechameleon

I personally am very let down by this news, I was really looking forward to valve experimenting in this franchise a little more than it has over the course of the last several years. Valve is letting one of its most successful franchises fade into irrelevance with such an anemic update.

• kamikaziechameleon

Its a cold day in hell when you can reflect on how much games like COD have managed to evolve while clinging to the central design principle of poor balance and level design. I’m sad to see that Valve couldn’t expand upon the quality core of CS:source to give us a better game and an easy COD killer. Basically I’m accusing valve of Blizzardiffying their #1 online franchise(rendering updates so derivative of nostalgia they are irrelevant to coherent franchise veterans.) I’m sorry but this news is more disappointing than it really should be.

• Sencapri

<3 counter strike!!! 😀

• ltcommander.data

I wonder if they plan to implement DX10 or DX11 in this updated engine? Personally, I still think it makes sense to focus on a unified OpenGL 3.x codepath that can be used on both Windows, Mac, and potentially the Linux client that is always rumoured. The latest Steam Survey says that 21% of DX10/DX11 GPU owners actually still use Windows XP, so an OpenGL 3.x codepath + select extensions would be the best positioned to make the most out of the majority of GPUs across any platform.

• Skrying

I will wait patiently to see where this goes. It’s interesting to see Valve pushing two games for competitive gaming, DotA 2 and CS: GO. Having a game that is accessible to league play could mean not only big payoffs for that community but also those interested in mods and custom game types.

• Sargent Duck

I was a pretty bad CS player, but enjoyed it a lot.

If my current computer could play it (it can’t), I’d buy it.

• LiquidSpace

So you’re saying that your “current” PC can not play this what ever called crap strike 2 with an “up-dated” version of the same crap engine.
      I guess you drink your own piss to survive, not?

• Sargent Duck

hmmmm…. I’m trying to decide whether you’re worth replying back to.

Nope.

• [+Duracell-]

Geoff, I think you and I are the only ones that miss as_oilrig 🙁

• Ethyriel

Naw, if you got the perfect matchup, that map was hellishly fun.

• munche

I remember once spending an hour convincing all my friends to download the old oilrig map because none of the current CS installs had it

That map was the business

• jthh

Oh man, that takes me back! I completely forgot about that map! Good time!

• odizzido

There were lots of great maps when CS was first starting out. Back before valve took it over and then introduced slowing down when getting shot, slowing down when jumping, and generally made a mess of a perfectly good mod.

I have no interest in another valve CS.

• Lonewolf08

You’re not alone! Oilrig was fantastic! About the only major downside I can remember was if the VIP was either AFK or quite terrible. Some system rewarding a VIP for good performance might remedy that.

• Glix

Like a massive $$$ bonus for better weapons next round? :p

• anotherengineer

Who doesn’t miss oilrig?!?!?

or de_rats, or he_tennis or some glassfloors, or some gungame or the zombeez

• yogibbear

+pl_pool (or whatever it was called) + awp_dust + that deagle only map with the bridge and a box maze.

• sweatshopking

not sure. i don’t know much about counter strike, but i DO try to post something on every news story. I’ll just say “would i buy this?”, no. I’d buy dota 2 first, but with hon, i’m not sure i’d buy dota 2.

• BobbinThreadbare

With LoL I’m not sure I’d play HoN or dota 2

• sweatshopking

have you played hon? lol is for 12 year olds. hon is now free to play, and a MUCH better game.

• Meadows

Sure, because LoL isn’t free.

• lilbuddhaman

just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD.