Gearbox teases Borderlands 2

Yeah, it isn’t much, but the Borderlands fan in me is vibrating with anticipation after watching this quick teaser trailer for Borderlands 2.

This short clip gives us a glimpse of a new character dual-wielding some very big guns in a couple of unfamiliar environments, one snowy and cold, the other grassy. He’s shooting, uh, new monsters, it appears, too.

The familiar cel-shaded-ish look of Borderlands remains intact, but the visual complexity has been ratcheted up a few notches. Gearbox tells us all of these visuals were created "in engine," so the game itself should look this good. Just a taste, but if you enjoyed the original like I did, that may be enough to get you wound up.

• LoneWolf15

I’ve enjoyed Borderlands (picked it up cheap on a Steam sale). I’d enjoy it more if the respawns weren’t quite so quick. It seems I barely accomplish getting a bunch of bad guys out of my way before I have to deal with them again. I have read about their motives (for respawning of bosses, etc.) but would have liked the interval to be a bit longer.

I don’t know if I’d pay release price for Borderlands 2, but I’d probably pick it up on a Steam sale like the first one.

• ohtastic

So will Borderlands 2 support DX11 too? Think of all the grass that’ll benefit from tessellation. GRASS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE, ALL LUSH AND WAVING IN THE BREEZE!! EVEN THE GRASS YOU CAN’T SEE WILL BE FABULOUS!!!!

I enjoyed the loot aspect and most of the combat in Borderlands. THe game needed more varieties of bad guys though. This short clip does hint at that – those lumbering brute-things in the snow, then robots on the grass. Less of the fetch-quests, make the player feel a bit more connected and involved with the storyline and this should sell well. I would ask for no Gamespy but since we already had to use it for the first it wouldn’t surprice me if it’s in the second. Tighter integration with Steam would be preferred, and might be a big deal for a lot of people.

• Bensam123

Borderlands was worth a play through, but more then that was ‘meh’. It had a lot of issues and the game play gave me brain rot if I played it for extended periods of time.

• travbrad

I loved the first one, so I am actually looking forward to this sequel.

I hope they tone down the loot pickups a touch though. Either that or include a keyboard macro to spam the ‘E’ key. :p

• Krogoth

Shoot’n Grab II!

• Krogoth

Getting downvoted, because I sum up the game with one phase?

Downvoted for caring about the voting system 😉
        I wish the voting system would DIAF!

I actually think Shoot’n Grab II is quite apt, I still enjoyed my playthrough of borderlands even though I’ve only ever played it multiplayer. The Diablo-II-style gameplay didn’t really appeal to me as a single-player challenge.

• oldDummy

Looks like fun.
    Good stuff.

• PenGun

Borderland … meh. Borderland 2 … meh meh.

• ImSpartacus

Dual wielding? Wtf, is this Halo or something?

• Meadows

No, this is an everygame.

• Bensam123

Because dual wielding two handed swords makes you twice as powerful and consequently, twice as bad ass!

Reminds me of a picture one of my friends showed me of a FF (if I remember right), where one of the characters had a gatling gun with three other gatling guns spinning around it. It was an abomination that made absolutely no sense what so ever. I saw that years ago and it stuck with me because it was an example of just how stupid people can be.

• ohtastic

I’m in 2 minds about the dual-wielding, because it makes me think that they’ll have a hard time balancing the gameplay (damage against enemies etc). One thing I see is that the dual-wielding character will be slower moving to counteract the double damage he can dish out. Probably won’t be dualling with sniper rifles at least.

• Sargent Duck

Enjoyed the game a lot, got my character up to level 50. Never played the DLC though…

• kamikaziechameleon

Fun game with tons of issues. I expect the sequel to have massive improvements all over.