Hard Reset videos offer peeks at gameplay, story

PC exclusives are hard to come by, so we’ve been paying particular attention to Hard Reset, a sci-fi shooter being developed by some of the folks who worked on Bulletstorm. The single-player game is due out next month, and thus far we’ve only seen a brief teaser. Today, we get a better taste of the game thanks to two new videos. The first comes courtesy of Rock, Paper, Shotgun and shows a full seven minutes of in-game footage, complete with commentary. Check it out:

Interestingly, the game appears to give the player only two guns. There are upgrades and different firing modes for each, though, and the energy weapon interacts with the environment.

The game world looks pretty good to me, and the narrative has promise. A second video posted at Joystiq steps out of the engine to provide a sense of the story.

The comic presentation reminds me a lot of Max Payne, but the theme is decidedly robots versus humanity. I’m cautiously optimistic overall and rather curious to see what the developers do when they don’t have to worry about getting things running on the relatively ancient hardware that underpins the current generation of consoles.

• Bensam123

Looks cool, but it doesn’t really separate itself from the ‘every game has done it’ CoD funnel except in terms of setting and upgrades. Maybe I’m starting to expect too much, but they all sort of bleed together and no ones really does anything outside the norm. They just change clothes and slap on a fresh coat of paint.

• odizzido

I thought this game would be a joke, but non-regenerationg life, a decent run speed, and enemies you can dodge instead of just soaking up damage from? It actually looks fun.

I didn’t notice him jump though, which means we are going back to the time of doom2……but still not horrible.

I think if the DRM is reasonable I will buy this game on release. Good luck on that though.

• BobbinThreadbare

Those things were all good, but what worries me is that all the levels they showed were straight corridors and environmental damage they seemed so excited about didn’t seem like anything better than what CoD does.

Edit: he does jump right at the end of the video.

• swaaye

It does look like a typical corridor shooter, no doubt, except for the sci-fi stuff which of course is way outside the realm of CoD-style military stuff.

• BobbinThreadbare

I just mean the environmental effects. Exploding cars, barrels, and things which arc electricity and some breakable walls are not particularly impressive, but the video made it seem like they were really proud of that.

The scenery and art looked amazing. The ad in Japanese was a really nice touch, and Blade Runner aesthetic was really nice.

• l33t-g4m3r

reminds me a little of sshock.

• odizzido

I don’t mind corridor shooters as long as they are made well. They have their place alongside games like stalker.