Battlefield 3 trailer showcases stunning multiplayer combat

Battlefield 3 has been in the news quite a bit recently, but for all the wrong reasons. We’ve spent so much time talking about the game’s absence from Steam and its ties to EA’s new Origin distribution service that I almost forgot how much I want to play the thing. Thankfully, the latest trailer brings those desires nicely to the forefront.

Wow. I’ve actually got goosebumps. Do yourself a favor and watch the trailer in full-screen mode, where the video can be blown up to 1080p resolution.

The trailer shows multiplayer footage from a 64-player game on the Caspian Border map. There’s a little bit of everything, from aerial dogfights to land-based vehicular combat and infantry battles. Don’t miss the moment where a bomb-defusing robot runs into a concrete barrier, knocking a few pieces off the top to expose rebar underneath. That’s the most realistic depiction of a concrete barrier I’ve seen since, well, Crysis 2. DICE is a little optimistic about Wall-E’s destructive power, though.

• Aussienerd

Looks Like I will be spending most of my nights in front of the PC for the next 6 months like i did in BF2 (1150hrs). Wife will not be happy.

Man this looks good, cant wait!!!!!!!

• satsau

Damn. Can’t wait to get my hands on this.

• Bensam123

I love helicopters that fly that low! It’s so easy to peg them in a tank and so gratifying too… It ranks up there with nailing a fully loaded blackhawk back when you could flag cap in a blackhawk in BF2.

To add hilarity to that. If you aimed just right, you could fire a round through the pilots side window, killing just him as the round would fly out the other window, the helicopter would spiral out of control and go into some weird power down animation while crashing to the ground, and the pilot would get team kills for every one of his teammates inside.

Joyous hardon for new games in a time when all games suck aside, they really need to work on vehicle destructions animations. Besides a couple new graphical editions and some CoDifying, it doesn’t look all that different from BF2. I’m pretty sure they used the exact same plane explode animation in BF2 with just as many chunks and gibs. It almost looks identical.

• trackerben

I once shot down 2 slow and low-flying hinds in a row with the fixed antitank at the Sharqi US tower flag. A hummer behind fences with its 50cal was murder on enemy helos. Always found it more fun to take those things down than to fly them.

• kamikaziechameleon

flying low in the chopper is the way to go its how it works in most real world scenarios and yes sometimes tanks take you out but only if you don’t hose them first.

I was extremely satisfied with the trailer finally I get a sense of the battles scope. I hope they don’t have BF2’s greatest weakness, like 6 vehicles per team when teams are 32 players, leads to lots of hating at the start of a match.

• Hurstmeister

Mmmmmm,.. Yes. Do want.

• michael_d

I did not get goosebumps. Visuals and vehicular combat look promising for tank and air warfare fans. What I am waiting for is visceral infantry action in single player.

• flip-mode

Since I don’t do the multiplayer thing, this isn’t for me. But it is impressive looking.

But I thought the part where that little robot ran into the concrete barricade while the dude just watched was pretty darn cute.

• wierdo

lol, reading the posts here and comparing it to last week, I can see why EA can get away with whatever they wanna do to their customers.

• Ardrid

MW3 is so owned. The sad thing is, MW3 will still sell more because of the crowd it appeals to. Oh well, I’ll take solace in the fact that I’ll be enjoying the far superior title.

• Sencapri

I’m pretty sure this trailer just made a lot of cod kitties switch to the superior title!!! 😀

• HurgyMcGurgyGurg

I guess they answered the question about jets.

• Glix

Yes, they are gliders fitted with machine guns.

Actually, that sounds like codename eagle, think I’ll try digging that out if I can find it.

• SomeOtherGeek

I don’t know, this might be enough for me to buy my first FPS…?

• Krogoth

(Yawn)

It is looks like an update on BF:BC2. Dice just threw in more toys and spiced up the UI.

BF2 fans waited five years for this?

Color me disappointed.

• SPOOFE

So… it’s exactly what I want? Yes please.

• Bensam123

Why not just play BC2 then?

Wanting change without change seems stupid. People always seem to want something new, but they never really stop to think why they want something new in the first place.

• travbrad

“Change without change”, I think Obama has his 2012 campaign slogan. 😉

• Krogoth

I see there are still a fair amount of fanbois who still hold onto their nostalgic glasses and are falling for the hype.

• Anvil

BC2 update? Sounds good to me!

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m sorry but that is kinda what happens in sequels. Have you played a mario game? How about a zelda game?

This game will be BF2 game design in a BF:BC2 game engine that mashup will yield completely different balance and flow, the fact that you can go prone in these large destructible environments will change everything. Not to mention how the new game modes and level design are gonna change things up.

I think your a good deal off base with your statement.

Edit: FPS games are generally the most technically driven genre of games, the mere engine improvements can yield so many different subtle changes to gameplay the technical improvements alone are enough to invalidate your claims.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Ohh man. Looks like it’s even MORE fun than it was in BF2.

Does anyone else want to see them make 2143? If this game really eats up horsepower like it’s supposed to, think of how much more strain a game of Titan would put on your system?

• [+Duracell-]

Ok, fuck it. I don’t care if it’s not going to be on Steam any more. I’m so buying this game.

• squeeb

I WANT IT NAO

• Thanato

i need to change my shorts o.o

• PrincipalSkinner

This will blow away the regurgitation called Modern Warfare XYZ.

• Krogoth

Nah, it’s its twin separated at birth.

BF3 = EA/Dice’s answer to COD:MW1 and COD:MW2.

• lilbuddhaman

Not even close. Do you play PC Shooters ? MW = completely arcadesy. BF = 50/50 mix of arcade and realism.

• Krogoth

That was the case back with BF1942 and BF2.

It went downhill from there.

BF:BC1 is when EA/DICE started copying COD. It only got worse from there.

• Bensam123

Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s as bad as you’re making it out… this is like a 80/20 mix now, rather then a 50/50 it once was. I’d say BC2 was a 75/25 mix.

It’s better then CoD, but that isn’t saying a lot… it wont blow anything away.

• GrimDanfango

Correction – the Battlefield: Bad Company franchise is EA/DICE’s answer to the COD franchise. Playing the Bad Company games, even just looking at a video, it’s very obvious what they’ve tailored it towards. They were products designed specifically to cash in on COD fever.

I know it’s early days to talk about Battlefield 3’s gameplay and feel, but really, you only have to look at a couple of videos to see that they’re not aping COD with this one… I’m not naive enough to think they won’t have ‘streamlined the experience to attract new audiences’, but they’re definitely picking up where BF2 left off.

Time will tell, but at the very least, this isn’t simply another Bad Company.

• SPOOFE

I expect the single-player MW3 to interest me far more than its multiplayer; for MP, once I enjoyed destructible environments, there’s no going back. I can’t stand not being able to blast my way through a wall.

• kamikaziechameleon

I revoke all prior skepticism this game will redefine multiplayer.

• travbrad

I hope not, I still want to play with people.

• Bensam123

You never played BF2 did you? In order to redefine something, it has to actually change it or it’s the same thing.

• kamikaziechameleon

I played BF2 plenty. I just look at this and its clearly elevated above the sum of its parts. Lets assume its not a glitchy mess at launch and it will be an amazing experience.

• kamikaziechameleon

As a huge BF2 fan I can argue that there where tons of major issues with some of the design choices that where made and this game looks to address all of them and then some. I rest my case.