Guild Wars 2 trailer loaded with in-game footage

Although I’ve never really been into MMOs, I’ve always liked the fact that Guild Wars didn’t require a monthly subscription. Shell out for the game once, and you can play it as much as you’d like. Guild Wars 2 will take the same approach, and a new trailer showcases some of what we can expect from the game.

The lengthy video shows splashes of artistic flair, in addition to an impressive variety of characters, environments, and combat. Also, there’s a giant robot.

Our very own Scott Wasson sank many hours into the first Guild Wars, and the sequel looks to be a big step forward. An official release date hasn’t been announced yet, though. According to the official FAQ, alpha testing is already in progress, and a closed beta is slated to begin before the end of the year. An open beta will follow, while the final product will be released "when it’s ready."

• Bensam123

GW2 is one of the few games I have high hopes for. I never liked the first GW. I’m genuinely tired of the typical RPG and I’m really hoping this changes it up as they say it’s going to. That said, traditionally, every time something like that has been said, it’s been just hype.

I’ll cling to my last little bits of hopes and dreams for the video game industry.

• rogue426

Been playing GW for 5 + years, its really the only game I play other than an occasional Civ4 here and there, 5 accounts with all the chapters and I still enjoy playing it, looking forward to GW 2. It could be the last game I play at this rate.Giant robot looks like the Iron Forgeman from Sorrow’s Furnace

• yammerpickle2

Been playing WoW since open beta, and am pretty burned out on the formula. Iā€™m looking forward to dodge, and tactical movement. The thief really looks to be a cool class to play. Also like the dynamic events and the cooperative community game design. That is a far cry from the kill stealing frustrations of other MMO games. I know good things come to wait, but really hope they can finish the game and publish before their graphics engine gets too dated..

• LuvKush

Ewww what a bad game lol, just stick to Blade & Soul and TERA online, skip this one. No offence to whoever likes these types of games.

• Forge

Troll fail, in three parts.

1. Bashed topic of conversation
      2. Gave no reasons why we should do so
      3. New registration, no other posts

Go back to your day job.

• kamikaziechameleon

I generally don’t like MMOs due to the fact that most are built around stale RPG formulas that are not relevant. GW address that with an amazing A symetrical skill system. Level isn’t as important as skill and gear.

• Bensam123

Gear is another leveling system.

• wierdo

I dunno if gear was that big of a deal in GW, I got to level 20, grabbed the basic high-end gear, and then everything after that was more or less similar stats but better looking armor, I never had to buy those, no point since it was just eye candy that I didn’t care for.

I’d say it’s all about finding skills (ex. you can kill bosses and capture some of their spells etc) and combining them with the other skills you have for interesting combos, which is the closest thing to a leveling system and actually does make a big difference, the rest is all about learning how to be good at using them in the heat of combat.

• sweatshopking

my biggest problem with mmo’s is the combat. i want realtime sword battles. something that takes skill, rather than clicking a button and waiting. anything like that available?

• Goty

Clearly you never experienced GW’s PvP arenas. Those definitely took a good portion of skill and strategy.

• sweatshopking

nope. i’ve never played GW. like level 7 in WOW, and level 10 in LOTR, but the combat is so horrendous, i just get bored, nm the boring “run here gather x” missions. those are SO tedious.

• yammerpickle2

WoW is basically turn, timer, and stat based game. Guildwars 2 combat has at least attempted some tactical and real time combat techniques like dodge and flanking, The majority of characters are still a button mashing timer situation with dodge and placement being added in, but the rogue class is more real-time energy use based. Still have to deal with the lag, but better than the WoW button mashing macro.

• Fighthouse

I would suggest finding a local dojo

• sweatshopking

there aren’t any around. i’ve checked. rural NS simply doesn’t have any šŸ™

• BobbinThreadbare

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_%28video_game%29[/url<]

• khands

I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time, I loved the idea of the first one, but the massive reliance on instancing put a bad taste in my mouth. This seems to be better on all fronts šŸ˜€