Acer teases cheap ultrabook, downplays tablets

Looks like Acer has been getting chatty—and in the wake of its first quarterly loss in a decade, who could blame it? DigiTimes got a few soundbites from Acer Chairman J.T. Wang, who teased his company’s upcoming ultrabook and downplayed the impact of tablets on future notebook sales.

The most exciting news is no doubt Acer’s plans for an ultrabook “with a price as low as $799,” which is due out next month. Past reports have hinted that PC makers aren’t thrilled with the bill-of-materials cost of ultrabooks, but if that $799 figure is accurate, Intel’s promise of sub-$1,000 ultrabooks may come to fruition regardless.

On an unrelated note, Wang claimed that the tablet fever “is already starting to cool down,” and he expects that a tag team of ultrabooks and Windows 8 will drive consumers back to laptops next year. That prediction sounds a little strange, since tablets have been picking up lots of momentum lately, and one of Windows 8’s key selling points will be its tablet-friendly interface. However, Wang reportedly believes Windows 8 will “contribute a stronger sales boost to notebooks than tablet PCs.”

Acer folks haven’t shied away from bold predictions in the past—and time could validate them. In early 2010, for instance, Acer founder Stan Shih stated that U.S. computer brands “may disappear over the next 20 years, just like what happened to US television brands.” Fast forward a year and a half, and HP is on the verge of selling its PC business, potentially to an Asian company.

• indeego

[url=http://indeego.com/comicalali.png<]Reminds me of this.[/url<]

Maybe the fever for Acer’s tablets has cooled down, which wouldn’t be surprising. I still look at the G9 Archos tablets that are due out next month and think they’re pretty sexy.

Then I shake myself. Wake up, stupid!

• cygnus1

I’m very much leaning toward the 8″ Archos G9 w/ the 250GB hard drive and the 3G usb stick. Should be a nice little entertainment tablet out here in Afghaniland

• TEAMSWITCHER

I have owned only one Acer product in the last decade and if I live another 50 years I will still have owned only one Acer product. Nothing this company says about the quality of it’s products is true. An Acer Ultrabook? That is a contradiction in terms.

• Corrado

Their TimeLine laptops (the precursor to “UltraBooks”) were REALLY nice machines. Their other stuff? Not so much.

• FuturePastNow

My dad bought a low-end Acer laptop about five years ago. Man, that thing was a piece of crap fresh out of the box. Awful keyboard, incredibly loud fan, terrible battery life (90 minutes brand-new and 0 minutes a year later). It felt so cheap- you could grab opposite corners of the case and twist the whole laptop. Opening and closing the screen made a scary plastic cracking noise.

Never touched a Timeline, they may be good, but I’ll never find out, because I’ll never give Acer a dime.

• NeXus 6

The majority of low-end laptops aren’t that great. Pick any brand and you are bound to find a lack of quality be it the screen, keyboard, plastics, etc.

• codedivine

Umm, so you bought one low-end product of a company many years ago, and so now you won’t consider its current high end products?

• FuturePastNow

That’s exactly what I said.

That laptop wasn’t just bad, it was utter hatred for the customer molded in plastic.

• stdRaichu

I have an Acer Timeline 1810TZ – the build quality isn’t awesome, but it only cost me £450 and it’s a superbly portable and competent machine. Most of their laptops are rubbish but I’m genuinely interested in decently powered 11-12″ laptops and I’d consider another Acer.

• indeego

Hit / miss for us. We have an incredible Aspire AS1410 that was $400 (They later raised the price, which is pretty rare for whole systems) and has been perfect, as well as a projector that has also been fantastic.

We’ve tried a few of their LCD’s and have been disappointed.

• StuG

I have one of their business 27″ monitors and I love it. Best monitor you can get for anything below $400.

• btb

Ditto, been avoiding that company at all cost since the below experience 2 years ago:

Most of our stationary computers here at work for the programmers are dell. But we needed a small machine for our journalist, nothing fancy just for web browsing, and we needed it fast, so we bought an acer for him. Every time he would do the simplest thing like visit a flash-heavy website, the fan on the CPU would go berserk. (And no, nobody could find any bios setting to help with the problem)

Our accountants 17″ acer laptop also just broke down, i told her to please not buy another acer 😀

• cygnus1

I used to have the same attitude as you. I used to think Acer was garbage based on previous hardware I’d seen that others owned. None of it ever seemed to be better than mediocre at best.

With that said, I recently started looking for a new laptop in the 13.3″, no opitcal drive very portable (not quite ultra) form factor. I used to have an HP dm3 that I really liked. It was the AMD nile based one and it was pretty decent. But after looking around, the only thing I could find anywhere near the price of the dm3 that I was remotely interested in spec wise, was the acer TimelineX 3830. Now this is going to sound like an advertisement, but I really did just buy a TimelineX 3830 a few days ago and so far this thing seems really nice. I like it and I’ve got a lot of complements on it. This thing blows away the dm3: fantastic battery life so far, the 8+ hour rating is pretty realistic; really good performance out of the i5 and nvidia 540 w/ optimus switching; LED backlit LCD looks great watching HD videos; and amazingly not stuffed to the gills with junk software. I always wipe and reload branded PCs, but this one I may just uninstall the couple of things I don’t want and let the oem install remain. I may have to wipe it and put enterprise on it, but that won’t be because of any oem bloatware.

The only things I could think to improve it would be a backlit keyboard and more USB3 ports. Maybe an SSD if you want to really up the performance of it.

• 5150

When I was in sales/service I sold a lot of Acer laptops and the few times I called support they were great. Texas-based, English-first people that were easy to understand and helpful. That has probably changed in four years, but I was always impressed with their value, and service that was easily superior to HP.

• Code:[M]ayhem

Acer products are nothing but utter junk, enjoy your inferior product..

• sweatshopking

nice double post! i will use this post to say what a handsome gentleman the first poster is!

• sweatshopking

Acer’s first quarterly lose? no wonder hp is dumping the market. everyone going to be looking forward to 1000$ crappy laptops again? it’s going to likely be more expensive pcs or apple. the current prices don’t seem sustainable.

• cygnus1

they’re not sustainable, the commoditization will lead to more and more consolidation and then prices will naturally rise again as there will be fewer manufacturers. then someone will come to market with competitive hardware cheaper and the cycle will start again

• OneArmedScissor

That’s already going to happen within the next year. The problem is that as manufacturing costs have dropped and laptops have become the norm, CPU and “chipset” prices have been held in place, so mostly Intel is pocketing the money. The ability to make a Windows laptop with a single ARM SoC that costs less than just one of Intel’s “chipsets,” and with much simpler cooling and potentially even smaller batteries, is a game changer.