Slashdot editor-in-chief CmdrTaco resigns

First Steve, now Rob. Slashdot co-founder and news-for-nerds visionary Rob "CmdrTaco" Malda has announced his resignation from the site. Malda doesn’t say much about his future plans, nor why he decided to leave the site he helped to start some 14 years ago, but it appears that the changing nature of the Internet was one motivator for the decision. "The Slashdot of today is fused to the Slashdot of the past," he says, hinting that a Slashdot of the future might need to be something entirely different.

The Internet may be changing, but Slashdot’s innovative approach to crowdsourcing content has certainly stood the test of time. Indeed, that may be the site’s biggest contribution to the Internet at large—apart from all the traffic it drives to other sites, that is. Being Slashdotted has become a sort of rite of passage for tech journalists, and system admins everywhere must respect the barrage of incoming requests that can result from a front-page link.

As a regular Slashdot reader for more than a decade, I’ll miss CmdrTaco’s contributions. This post, in which Malda reflects on Slashdot’s humble beginnings, will be his last for the site. The other half of the original Slashdot team, Jeff "Hemos" Bates, left the site a year ago. He’s now working for Google.

• TurtlePerson2

Slashdot has a great mix of normal news and tech news. It delivers its stories in small chunks and allows you to delve deeper if you want to. I’ve been reading /. for about a year now and have really enjoyed it.

I noticed that CmdrTaco’s post quantity had been down recently. I guess I know why now.

• egon

What’s always struck me about the “crowdsourcing” model of slashdot and other successful online communities, such as a large web forum, is the nature of the business model. The owners retain 100% of the profit from a product that’s 1% their own work (backend, design, etc) and 99% the work of users (story submissions, comments, moderation, etc.).

Not a criticism, just an observation.

• LaChupacabra

I tried clicking the link to cmdrtaco.net in the article, but the site was down.

The irony!

• drfish

As most of you probably know, Rob was a native of Holland (where the TR BBQ takes place). I never met him but I always thought it was cool that such and important techie grew up in the same place and around the same time as I did. I even saw what I have to assume was his car at my high school once, license plate was “SLASH” I think, Linux fish on the bumper… Pretty cool.

• RobrBaron

My sister is a Hope College alum and roomed with Nate Oostendorp’s sister. As a younger brother, I was always a little put out when she would have a computer problem and say, “don’t worry, I’ll just have my roomie’s geek brother fix it. He’s good with computers.” I didn’t know she was talking about Nate until they sold and my sister mentioned that maybe I should “keep going with that computers thing since it made him some money with a webpage called ‘dot and a slash’.”

She always was oblivious.

• tay

I has a sad. Miss the late 90s and /.

I find it amusing he listed “The explosion of Linux” as an amazing historical event that he covered when, in fact, it still hasn’t happened.

• dlenmn

There hasn’t been an explosion of Linux on desktops, but there has been on most other computer platforms (super computers, servers, hand held, embedded, etc.) That doesn’t mean 100% market share, but a large piece of the pie. It’s impressive that one operating system runs across such a large range of devices.

• indeego

Troll? In what way has it not exploded?

Linux or offshoots is over half the smartphone market. And growing.
      Linux powers many of the backend server world.
      Linux powers most of the web-facing world.
      There isn’t a Fortune 100 company that doesn’t use it in significant fashion. Microsoft even uses it for caching their own downloads!
      Many world governments have embraced it internally or offshoots.
      413 of the top 500 supercomputers run it.
      Google uses offshoots of it internally, some estimate near 1 million machines.

• Krogoth

*nix has already exploded.

It is found on virtually every platform and it use is growing in the mainstream market.

• kuraegomon

Comment fail. The explosion of Linux is absolutely a historical event … except on the desktop. Google a little, and note the estimated number of devices LInux runs on today.

• just brew it!

Linux runs large swaths of the Internet, and powers embedded devices in pretty much every industry. Did you use Google today? You used Linux. You used Linux [b<]just now[/b<] by loading this comment thread (Tech Report's servers run Linux). Do you have an Android phone or tablet? That's Linux too. There's also pretty good odds that your router / set-top box / some other device in your home is running it. The company I work for even produces a Linux-based device that is finding its way onto military fighter jets. While it is true that it has only a 1% market share on the desktop (and may never get much more than that), it is behind the scenes [b<]everywhere[/b<]. I think "explosion" is a pretty good descriptor. (And I'm part of that 1%... this post was typed on an Ubuntu Linux desktop!)

• XA Hydra

*Triple facepalm* High magnitude comment fail

• indeego

/. –> Digg –> Reddit was my path. The commenting system + interface pretty much defines where I’ll end up.

• Corrado

ive moved to reddit as well. The fact that you can make your own subreddit easily is a big win.