Valve shows Counter-Strike: Global Offensive gameplay

Two weeks after revealing that it’s working on a new Counter-Strike game, Valve has given us mere mortals a first look at the game. A short, one-minute trailer appeared on Steam yesterday, and it’s already made its way onto YouTube. Behold!

The game looks like a serious graphical overhaul over Counter-Strike: Source, and CS fans will be happy to see that many of the original maps have stuck around. Just off the top of my head, I can see updated versions of de_aztec, de_dust, de_italy, de_nuke, de_office, and de_dust2. All of those maps appear to have been spruced up with new graphics, but what little I can see, Valve hasn’t messed with the layouts.

These updated graphics give CS: GO kind of a Modern Warfare vibe. That, plus the new matchmaking features and cross-platform release, seems like it ought to attract a new generation of gamers to CS. (Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.)

• Xenolith

But will I be able to buy neato hats?

• TAViX

What’s wrong with outdated graphics??? I have a laptop with an old 7900GTX GPU where I can play any CS more than fine. Why with this new game be any different?

• Silus

Because only Valve gets away with it. Much more advanced engines that provide great graphics get criticized because “it doesn’t support DX11” yet Valve gets away with 2004 graphics every time. It’s idiotic and stupid to say the least. But that’s Valve fanboys for you…

• anotherengineer

Looks like de_inferno is in there also at 39s.

• zimpdagreene

Well i use to play it also but with new things coming out and are out now I think graphics are way old. Great gameplay just need way better GRAPHICS!!! Move up instead of back push it!

• dashbarron

Dear God I hope it’s a serious graphical improvement over a decade old CS.

This is still the Source engine isn’t it? The graphics always have looked 2nd-best and 4-5 years behind the times. Gameplay out weights graphics, but its the gameplay is a lot more fun when you’re looking at smooth visuals.

I’m as negative and unimpressed as Krogoth.

• indeego

Source is first about accessibility and second about scalability/candy. Valve wants ALL its users to be able to play, not just hard-core.

• Silus

That must be why the Cryengine 3 got so much flak…it allowed for more users to play it with decent graphics…oh wait that’s exactly what you’re saying Valve does, yet Valve gets praise Crytek got flak…

Really stop defending something that’s not worth defending. Valve is doing NOTHING. What you say it about scalability/accessibility, is actually called lazyness…

• mesyn191

For such an “old” engine Source really does look quite nice. They keep updating so I think its hard to be put out over its graphics.

• south side sammy

the video posted by archlight shows more CS game play than original vid……. don’t like the fact that you die you can’t regenerate. I don’t play MP to spectate. looks like a console game and you users can tell me if you can set up your keyboard and mouse…….. vs having to use the w-s-a-d keys and whatnot. presets suck. not a game i would go out of my way for.

• wiak

FYI: [url<]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-counter-strike-global/719794[/url<] 720p πŸ˜‰

• LiquidSpace

Activision can do it, so can Valve

• Ryu Connor

0:34 into the video it states boldly: Cross-platform Play

Seriously? That’s not gonna end well for the console players.

• Ethyriel

PC, Mac, and PS3 with keyboard and mouse for PS3, is what I heard somewhere.

• Joe Miller

So, some do not like it for being not Crysis-like graphics.

I liked the graphics of CS 1.4 and 1.5, as I liked to play the game itself, with knife around the corners, and shotgun.

I did not like CS 1.6 for being over-saturated with textures making it more difficult to see the players.

Great graphics and great single-player – FarCry 1.

• glacius555

Let’s not make too hasty assumptions.

Future de_italy map could be inspired by Venice.

Even though you won’t be able to see it πŸ˜›

• squeeb

Ugh…talk about disappointed. Oh well, plenty of other shooters on the verge of release to spend my time on.

• south side sammy

I never played any of the CS games……… but to call these “updated” graphics and comparing it to MW is extremely insulting…. Graphics and game play look a lot like Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I think that game came out in 2002… ??? Even the animations seem decades old. This going to be a $10 game when it comes out ?

• Bensam123

Nooooo a weapon wheel!

That aside it doesn’t look all that great graphically. I’ve seen better looking custom maps running in the current version of CS:S and better custom models. I don’t really think there is a whole lot new here.

Valve should just kick the old decrypted IP with the fan base that wont let it change and make something new… unless they’re really after making a game on a budget?

• willyolio

the weapon wheel still has numbers, and real players use the keyboard to quickswitch anyways.

• ludi

A number-mapped wheel seems like a pretty good way to hybridize a game for both PC and console.

• Bensam123

Aye… and a wheel takes up a giant portion of your screen as it sits in the middle of it.

• yogibbear

Clearly it was the buy menu, which ALWAYS took up a giant portion of the screen.

• Bensam123

Ah, because a consolized feature like that wont be anywhere else in the game?

• yogibbear

Clearly you haven’t played a valve game, ever.

• Bensam123

I have… I’ve also played the BF series and pretty much everything else under the sun… It’s easy to tell when a game is becomming consolized though simply by the way it looks, but only time will tell as this information is vague. I’ll place a bet on it being quite a bit more consolized though.

• Sahrin

Yeah, I’m not saying ‘no’ outright to it – I’ll buy it at launch like I have every CS game. But the simplicity of the series is what has always drawn me – and since the OB with every update they’ve added more and more bullshit I don’t want. It’s not that a weapon wheel is a problem, it just makes the entire experience more complicated. That’s what I love about CS – you log in, you play a round, you die, you play another round, you die (or survive). You win or lose. There’s none of the complexities of some online shooters – spawn points, multiple objectives, zones of control, etc. It’s simple, and exposes more of a players ‘gamerskill’ (if you will, ability to ‘play the game well’ versus ability to learn tricks) than most other shooters.

I’ll miss the old CS, if Valve has really decided to launch CS: Arcade. That said, I’ll buy at launch and I’m willing to give it a chance. Just with Portal 2, I’m not that optimistic. Valve is slowly turning into any number of other game companies: money first, games second.

• mikehodges2

To everyone judging the graphics based on a 480p youtube clip;

Stop it.

• ClickClick5

I watched it in 240. πŸ™

• Sahrin

Oh, well that’s OK then.

NO! And I will also continue judging graphics by screenshots!

• south side sammy

how bout if we judge it by the antiquity of map design ? you can use the highest quality textures but if you’re still making square edges it can only go so far. this is quake4 territory at best. you know, 10 year old map design. hate to use amateur to describe the design and i hate to say a developer is “milking it”, but…………..maybe in that regard it’s similar to the COD series….

• yogibbear

10 yr old map design is sadly superior to anything produced these days. So I say bring it on.

• nate011

[url<]http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/08/25/counter-strike-global-offensive-underpass-firefight?objectid=115451&show=HD[/url<]

• Arclight

It’s exactly what i expected, it’s a new Condition Zero. A true next Cs has yet to come.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN93xXfews4&feature=player_embedded[/url<] Edit: Weapon skins look like a downgrade compared to CS:S, just saying.

• d0g_p00p

Yeah it’s a tweak to the game not CS2. The IGN video preview shows that it’s pretty much the same CS with map tweaks, new weapons and more balance. Not a big CS player but I might get back into it to pwn some console n00bs.

• kamikaziechameleon

I agree the game engine in general looks worse with this upgrade. The worlds just look more cluttered but the fidelity is still annoyingly low. IMHO the animations for avatars is worse than it used to be as well. In general this is a very pointless update. probably the most disappointed I’ve been by a valve announcement ever.

We give Activision a hard time for the samey nature of COD, but this is just plain stupid.

• Arclight

I was reffering simply at the weapon skins, not map textures or model skins nor ragdols. Just look at the weapons when they show them in first person view. Play the video in my original post and pause it when they show a guy in first person view holding an M4. It’s a downgrade from CS:S just the way it looks. I also have complaints about the AWP and shotgun skins which look also downgraded. AK seems pretty much the same, not a big deal but i find the M4 repulsive….

• ChunΒ’

That’s the beauty of custom skins. Also, lets keep in mind this is barely a beta build, if that.

• Arclight

I would prefer the default weapons to look good from the get go. I don’t want to wait months or years for some modder to come up with a good enough skin that i might like.

• RickyTick

Sorry to say I’m not overly impressed. I would describe it as similar to COD4 in terms of graphics and overall aesthetics. Not saying it was “bad”, it just looked like a game from 4 or 5 years ago.

Hope it gets better before final release.

• canmnanone

i dont know about this. same old dx9 and not dx11 its just an updated textures and not graphics. maybe when in its final stages it will look better but for now crossing fingers and hoping.

• glacius555

It is not exactly a game where you stare at uber-tessellated bricks and walk/swim in tesselated water..

• bittermann

But what if I want to sniper scope the wall from 3 feet away!

• Bensam123

Yeah… Valve really need to give it’s engine a good update. This is basically just a texture pack.