Deal of the week: Deus Ex: HR for $35, plus dirt-cheap SSDs and RAM

I sang the praises of Eidos Montreal’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution this morning, and as luck would have it, the game came up in my deal hunt this afternoon. Three days after the title’s release, Amazon already has it on sale for a tantalizing $34.99. That’s for a digital download, by the way—so no shipping costs to worry about.

Next up, we’ve got a handful of memory and storage bargains for you this week. Newegg is letting folks grab an 8GB dual-channel kit of Kingston DDR3-1333 memory for $41.99 shipped, provided you enter the coupon code "EMCKBHD29" on the checkout page. Don’t wait too long, though; the code expires on September 1.

On the storage side of things, Kingston’s 96GB SSDNow V+100 solid-state drive is on sale for $104.99 after a $30 mail-in rebate. If you’re feeling adventurous, OCZ’s 60GB Vertex Plus can be had for $49.99 after a $10 mail-in rebate—but user reviews of it are less encouraging.

North of the border, NCIX is running a back-to-school sale with plenty of fine deals to go around. The 120GB version of the Vertex Plus is available for $119.99 CAD after a $20 MIR, for example, and there’s an 8GB kit of Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 RAM to be had for just $39.99 CAD.

• burntham77

I pre-ordered Deus Ex three days before it came out because I was hearing a good buzz from early reviewers (and I regretted doing the same thing with Fear 3), plus I got it for 45 dollars on Steam. So far it I am very happy with it. It really captures what was great about the first game while bringing it into the modern age.

It is nice to see 60 gig SSDs at that price point. Even if those are crappy, hopefully that opens the floodgates for some price drops in the coming months. I am still trying to convince the wife I need a 256 gig SSD, but 400 dollars is hard to get approval on.

• Malphas

What kind of lunatic pre-orders a game in this day and age? It was always a mug’s game but the premise in the old days at least, was that if you didn’t pre-order and the game was a huge success then there’d be no physical copies on the shelves after release until the CD presses caught up with demand. Of course, that’s irrelevant now we have digital downloads (and frankly, it was always BS to begin with even before that). Now I can’t fathom why anyone would pre-order when it’ll be on Steam sale within six months and a GOTY edition within twelve.

• bthylafh

Metro 2033 on sale for $5 on Steam until 1200 Central tomorrow.

• LoneWolf15

I am at 4.9GB out of 7.1GB on the Deus Ex digital download. That’s a great price.

Guess my birthday came a few days early. =)

• Madman

Why the %$#$%$#%@@ it’s only available to US customers? Can I get it in Europe?

• apertur3

I got the Kingston SSD a while back for (I believe) $104 after rebate. You guys might also want to take note that virtually the same deal is available right now from Amazon, for everyone from California who gets their sweet Newegg SSD deal killed with CA tax. I’m using mine right now in my eSATA dock as to temporarily hold Lightroom catalogs I’m working on. This thing screams for the money – great purchase. No issues with it whatsoever. It’s a fine boot drive, too, but I switched my main boot drive to an Intel X25-M 120GB.

• krazyredboy

Last night, I purchased Deus Ex, on Amazon. Logged into my games, through Amazon, copied the code and put it into Steam! I downloaded it through Steam, as well. So, I’m certain, all of my fellow Steam lovers will appreciate that ability.

In another thought…”Steam Lovers,” sounds a bit raunchy, now that I think of it…but, you all know what I mean…

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ve never bought anything from amazon digitally, so I’m wondering how it works compared to steam.

Also, “A Steam account is required for game activation”. So is amazon selling through steam at a cheaper price? That means steam is ripping us off. How many people still buy the argument steam has to keep prices in line with retail? That’s price fixing.

• anotherengineer

Anyone want to buy my Deus Ex Human revolution steam key for $25, got it with my new mobo.

• l33t-g4m3r

sure.

• anotherengineer

PM if your serious.

Edit – I replied but the message seems to be staying in my outbox and is not in the sent box even though I sent it.

• JustAnEngineer

Here’s a good deal on a case:

Antec Three Hundred Illusion for $45, delivered:
    [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77728[/url<]

• JustAnEngineer

That wasn’t even the best RAM deal at Newegg.

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77729[/url<]

They apparently don’t like G.Skill.

• ImSpartacus

That wasn’t even a bargain bin kit. G.Skill or not, I typically trust RAM that has a weird name and a showy heat spreader. I figure if they hired an artist for the head spreader design and a marketing douche for the name, they spent a little bit of time on Q&A.

• MadManOriginal

Questions & Answers? You have an interesting priority when it comes to hardware purchases.

• ImSpartacus

You don’t like to debate your RAM from time to time?

I feel the need for the Spanish Inquisition when it’s been out late on a school night.

• jpostel

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• MadManOriginal

No fair editing your post, now mine just looks silly :*(

• ImSpartacus

/facepalm

As you wish…

• MadManOriginal

lol, I was just having fun with your typo, from context you obviously meant Q.A. 🙂

• Buzzard44

Is that a 60GB SSD for $59.99?

Where are the hordes of people who are supposed to be waking me up right now?

If I don’t turn up that this SSD is complete garbage, I might pull the trigger on it.

• drfish

60GB Agility3s were $60 as a ShellShocker deal earlier in the week…

• highlandr

Get the Kingston drive instead. More space, I actually got my rebates ($50, and I ordered 2 at once), and no questionable reliability issues like OCZ drives have suddenly sprouted.

[i<]Almost[/i<] $1 per gig is pretty nice, for a "solid" SSD.

• grantmeaname

Yawn. Wake me up when SSDs are 99c/GB.

• drfish

LOL!

• Phydoux

Borderlands is also on sale on Steam this weekend. I just bought the Game Of The Year edition for $7.49.

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77733[/url<]

…and you apparently feel you don’t get enough credit around here. 😆

• sweatshopking

i love jae. we’re soulmates.

• LoneWolf15

I bought the regular version when it was on sale. Great game for a great price.

I also love what Gearbox did for a geek who wanted to propose.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fii-KPEmcMw[/url<]

• DeadOfKnight

I feel like the retailers are spitting in my face everytime I preorder a game. I’m just not going to do it anymore unless there’s a collector’s edition I really want.

• HisDivineOrder

Duh? How many times you going to see a game selling for $10 less than six months after release and keep paying $50-60 for it? Everyone, say it together with me…

Wait for the Steam Sale.

• DarkUltra

For such a good game I’d rather have a physical copy and a better license.

• maiden4life

Amazon’s PC downloads offer the best deals lately. I picked up The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, and Deus Ex:HR on release day for $39.99 ea. I don’t even preorder anymore because it’s pointless. I don’t buy from steam until they offer their summer and christmas sale.

• lilbuddhaman

Well seeing it $20 off less than a week after release is annoying damnit. But hey, the game has awesome reviews because well, it’s actually a good Deus Ex game, and a good game in general.

• flip-mode

Dude, that’s not retailers’ fault, but of your own making. Pre-order is one of the biggest “gotchas” ever. I can’t even comprehend ordering a game before it’s released and reviewed.

…and discounted. Released, reviewed, discounted, then I’ll bite. I’ve only made one exception in the last 2 years.

• UberGerbil

Consider it a tax on your lack of self-control.

• ludi

“Extended warranty? How can I lose?”

• Farting Bob

whats the point of preordering exactly? ive been able to get any game on release day by walking into the shop and buying it, or going to steam or ordering on amazon. i see no reason at all the spend your money before the game is out and in your hands or on the way to you.

• lilbuddhaman

and that’s where Day 0 DLC comes into play. They can give it a fancy name like “expansion pack” or “Gun package” or whatever (both examples that EA is using with BF3’s preorder) but in the end, it’s content ripped from the game for the sole purpose of pulling in preorder money.