Yahoo board ousts Carol Bartz as CEO

In January 2009, Yahoo announced that Carol Bartz would replace co-founder Jerry Yang as CEO. Bartz boldly vowed to make sure Yahoo got some "friggin’ breathing room" so it could "kick some butt." Well, two and a half years later, it seems Yahoo’s board was definitely after some breathing room—only from Bartz herself. Reuters reports that Bartz was ousted by Yahoo’s board on Tuesday, passing the CEO torch to CFO Tim Morse, at least for the time being.

According to TechCrunch, Bartz sent an apparently bitter and unceremonious e-mail to Yahoo’s employees just before the news broke. Take a look:

To all,
I am very sad to tell you that I’ve just been fired over the phone by Yahoo’s Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.

Carol

Sent from my iPad

A person "close to the company" quoted by Reuters claims the board voted unanimously to let Bartz go, although former CEO Jerry Yang abstained, as did Bartz herself.

Bartz earned a reputation for her bold, tough-talking approach, like when she gutted Yahoo’s search business and partnered up with Microsoft to use Bing as the new search back end. In hindsight, however, Reuters notes that the Bing deal "appears to favor [Microsoft] at Yahoo’s expense," and it says Bartz saw Yahoo’s revenue growth "falter and sputter out." The company could now be "ripe for a takeover," in the words of YCMNet Advisors CEO Michael Yoshikami.

• albundy

yahoo is still in business? how the hell is that possible? and why?

• ronch

Maybe it’s her idea to post worthless news headlines on Yahoo! news. This news… What a relief.

• anotherengineer

na na na nah

na na na nah

yeah yeah yeah

Good-bye.

• Sam125

Tough break for both Bartz and Yahoo! as now Yahoo! now has attract another tech CEO to head up a company that’s quickly becoming irrelevant due not innovating and gutting their core reason for even existing. (Search + ad revenue)

The Alibaba deal is somewhat frightening though as it seems the Chinese are still up to their shenanigans when it comes to business.

• tejas84

What shenanigans might those be? Xenophobic much?

• just brew it!

Read the linked article.

According to Reuters: “The rocky relationship between the companies came to a head in May when it was revealed that Alibaba had abruptly handed Alipay — one of Alibaba’s crown jewels — to a company controlled by Ma, apparently without Yahoo’s knowledge.”

It seems pretty sleazy to pull crap like that without telling the company that owns a 40% stake in what you’re giving away.

• sweatshopking

what does that have to do with “are still up to their shenanigans “? that sounds like a raw deal, but saying “chinese people are sneaky business people” doesn’t seem nice to me.

• Sam125

Yes, this is exactly it.

Just giving away a key profitable business to the CEO of the company to make the balance sheet of the company look weaker is sleazy. It seems to me that the board of Alibaba wanted to hurt the profits of the company to try to pull a fast one on Yahoo! considering Alibaba wants to buy out Yahoo!’s 40% stake.

• just brew it!

To be fair to tejas84 & SSK, the Chinese certainly don’t have a monopoly on underhanded business dealings. The current economic pain here in the US is largely self-inflicted, caused by the shady dealings of our own banking and investment industries (who were aided and abetted by our own government).

But some of the things China has done in recent years definitely merit a raised eyebrow or two. Cornering the world market for rare earth minerals and then severely restricting exports of said minerals is one glaring example that springs to mind…

• ludi

[quote<]Cornering the world market for rare earth minerals and then severely restricting exports of said minerals is one glaring example that springs to mind...[/quote<] IMO any damage to western economies from that trick was purely self-inflicted. Many of those minerals can and have been mined elsewhere (there are one or two locations in Colorado, for example) but aren't presently because of the costs associated with environmental regulations. By exporting the environmental damage to China in exchange for lower commodity prices, the West set itself up to get played.

• Anarchist

in the end what got Bartz fired is her inability to sell the company to microsoft. I’m sure Jerry Yang gets dirty look on daily basis.

• kamikaziechameleon

yahoo is an irrelevant company. like AOL before them, they cease to be relevant today.

• Jambe

I agree. I don’t know why I feel a little sad, but I do. Perhaps I just like the name Yahoo.

About the only Yahoo property I care about anymore is flickr and there are competing services which do what it does just as well if not better.

• donkeycrock

I wouldnt say that, Yahoo fantasy sports i beleive are one of the most popular outlets. I’ve played just about every other websites, and by far yahoo is the best. And i think a lot of people play fantasy games.

• bthylafh

Mail and news for me.

• squeeb

I’m in a football league on Yahoo…

To me though Yahoo conjures up images of the mid 90s and dial up modems.

• Corrado

Yup, Yahoo and Lycos and the like.

• bittermann

And not a single f*ck was given that day across the internets..

• cygnus1

[quote<] Sent from my iPad [/quote<] Best part of her farewell, by far.

• ronch

Next stop: Apple

• wierdo

They didn’t like the Bing deal? lol I thought Yang was fired for Not playing along with MS?

For reference, Yang listed here:
    [url<]http://www.zdnet.com/photos/ten-catastrophes-all-time-worst-tech-industry-executive-decisions/6289740[/url<] Can't please anybody I guess.

• destroy.all.monsters

I nominate Hector Ruiz to carry on the fine tradition of Yahoo CEOs.

I loled at “fired over the phone”. Noice. Pure class all the way at Yahoo!

• deathBOB

Hey it could have been instant messenger…

• NeelyCam

Twitter would’ve been great

• ronch

And I nominate Carly to finish off Yahoo.

• sweatshopking

I nominate iCarly to finish off yahoo.

• indeego

It’s gotta give their next CEO confidence in the Board.

“Hay guys going to the store to get some Yoo-Hoo’s, anyone want something?”
      “Nah, we good yo.”