First-person Syndicate reboot due in early 2012

Syndicate has to be one of my favorite PC games of all time. I suspect most of you haven’t heard of it, though. The game was released all the way back in 1993, a time when Intel’s original Pentium processor was considered cutting-edge technology. If you missed out on the first one, worry not. A remake is on the way.

EA has announced that a new Syndicate game is being developed by Starbreeze Studios, the folks responsible for The Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness. Both of those games are first-person shooters, and it looks like the next Syndicate will be, as well. That’s notable because the original game was a real-time tactical shooter with an isometric perspective.

Despite the change in perspective, the Syndicate reboot promises to drop players into environments familiar from the original. Indeed, some of the missions from the first game will make their way into a “separate and deep” co-operative campaign with support for up to four players.

Starbreeze has been working on its spin on Syndicate for a couple of years, and the finished product is scheduled for release early next year on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The official site teases an initial public offering for September 29, which is when we might get our first look at the game in motion. In the meantime, you’ll have to make do with the handful of screenshots we’ve embedded in the image gallery below. Thanks to Joystiq for the tip.

• Scrotos

My wife was pretty unhappy about hearing this news. She was hardcore into Syndicate back in the day.

• kamikaziechameleon

bladerunner much?

• burntham77

In 1993 I was just starting to get into computer gaming, and I have heard of the original game but just never got around to playing it for whatever reason. I would grab it on GOG if it was there.

As for this new one, if it’s good I will play it. I see no reason to judge something before it is even close to release.

• luisnhamue

I was 4 when d first one was released. So I never had a chance to play it. I just hope that it gives us good times and excellent graphics.

• Vasilyfav

If I wanted an FPS in a cyber-punk world, I’d replay the Deus Ex series.

Give me an rts with tactical and rpg elements for christ’s sake.

• vexe

EA could do a Syndicate total conversion of The Sims 3…

…in between grim assassinations and combat sweeps you can ponder that new couch or wallpaper…not to mention the inevitable umpteen DLC packs and expansions…

• ew

If I recall correctly the civilians in Syndicate all had chips in their brains that made them see an ideal “Sims” like world around them. So it’s not that far of a stretch.

• blitzy

RIP bullfrog

• swaaye

Well you know Molyneux is still around and kicking. Man that guy can sure talk up a hype storm.

• swaaye

The visual style and the company that is developing it are two reasons for me to be excited.

Don’t let me stop you guys from futilely bitching though.

• Mentawl

Ah come on, stick with the original gamestyle, you boring jerks :(.

*hunts for a copy of Syndicate, might have to drag the Amiga out the attic.

• Ricardo Dawkins

RTS or GTFO, EA!

• ew

When Fallout 3 was announced as an FPS I was devastated. I still think it would have been great if Bethesda had kept it turn-based and with an isometric perspective but it ended up being a great game anyway.

I’m equally devastated about this but have no faith that EA will be able to turn this into something worth bothering with.

• Geistbar

Fallout 3 I think is a classic example of what fans of the original (whether X-Com, Syndicate, or something else) fear the most. I was a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2, and to be honest, I hated Fallout 3. Which is not to say it is a bad game; many, many people liked it, and I am not going to run around saying their enjoyable experience was false or whatever. Fallout 3 might have been a good game, but it was not a good [i<]Fallout[/i<] game. The success of Fallout 3 also means that there will probably never be a Fallout sequel in the style of the originals; all future games will follow in the footsteps of the new one. Likewise, that is what fans of the original Syndicate are afraid of. If this re imaging does well, then there is probably no chance for a "proper" Syndicate sequel. And, as an added bonus, if the game does poorly, the chances of a good sequel is also lowered, probably not as low as if the new one is successful, but it is still far less likely than if no re-imagining had occurred. So, for people who like their older, non-FPS games, this is a situation where they can not win. Edit: I always miss some stupid grammatical things, even with proof reading. Bah.

• Voldenuit

I thoroughly enjoyed FO3 and FNV (bugs and all).

At least they were nothing like the abominations that were Fallout:Tactics and Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel.

As for Syndicate, it’s not my favourite Bullfrog game. Populous, Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 rank higher on my nostalgo-meter.

• Geistbar

Well, as I said, I am not going to deny that other people enjoyed Fallout 3, or that the general consensus is that it is a good game. However, I would not say that it is truly faithful to the original two games, it lacks their style, tone, and spirit. It was terribly written (just look at the ending!*), it felt empty, the characters were hollow and the engine was insultingly bad. Character progression felt limited compared to Fallout 2. Part of this is probably just from the style of developer Bethesda is; they focus on creating large worlds to play around with, instead of smaller, more detailed locations. Story, writing, and characters have not seemed to be much of a focus for them either. Looked at in that manner, you could say Fallout 3 is a stunning achievement for them, as a developer, being as large an improvement over Oblivion as it is, in those “off focus” areas.

I could probably write quite a lot more on this, but then I would pointlessly change the discussion to Fallout 3, and I have no expectations or desire to make other people agree with me on it. In short, it might have been a good game, but it makes the Fallout 2 fan in me sad. Doubly so because New Vegas is probably as close to a “proper” Fallout sequel as I will ever see.

Regardless, this new Syndicate might equally be a good game, but it will doubtlessly be nothing like the original (though I have not actually played the original).

I also find the FPS-philia of the industry to be saddening. Yes, FPS games are the most popular and best selling, so I will not begrudge a publish for focusing on them. We are not seeing a focus though, so much as a down the line obsession. It is making the difference between various games more and more minimal. Ten years ago, you could play an RPG and there would be a very clear distinction between that and a contemporary FPS. Now, you get Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution**; many people can say many good things about those games, but they are not so different from an FPS anymore. Artistic mediums thrive on creativity and originality; the AAA game industry seems content to no longer deliver either. Hopefully indie developers continue gaining prominence.

* Changing the ending with DLC does not change that either; you should [i<]not[/i<] have to pay extra to get a proper ending from a game! Same goes for a mods: if a game is only fun with mods, then it was not a good game. ** Though I feel I should say that, despite its flaws (which are many) Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good game, and pretty faithful in style to the original. Edit: More minor fixes 🙁

• SPOOFE

I loved Fallout 1 and 2, but every time I played them I always wondered what a Fallout FPS would be like. I wasn’t disappointed, at least.

• kamikaziechameleon

Starbreeze is a good studio and hasn’t made a bad game in my opinion. I’m excited to see what they put out.

• apertur3

What we really need is for the original Syndicate & American Revolt to be released on GOG. C’mon!

• swaaye

Yeah awesome so you can buy it again or something?

• Noigel

Jumping genres is risky. Anyone remember the FPS C&C game? What about seeing images of the Starcraft FPS… Ghost or something.

The only deviant that I miss is Final Fantasy Tactics. I wish that unique structure would come back.

• Prion

Wasn’t really unique or a deviant though. Squaresoft had aquired the team that did the Ogre Battle games, FFT (not sure about the FFTA games, I’ve never touched them) was just the next incarnation or that series.

• swaaye

Renegade was pretty cool and Ghost had potential but the developers seemed inept.

• Farting Bob

Yea we need another FPS game right now!

If you are going to start resurrecting old classics because you are unable to think of new ideas for yourself then at least keep the game the same genre. Otherwise you might as well just call it something else entirely. Syndicate remake in its original format would actually be very different from 90% of games today and would have a much bigger chance of cutting its own niche. This will be released and spend 2 weeks in the top 10 PC games if its lucky before being forgotten bar the occasional steam sale.

• eitje

Did you see the announcement about the FPS Q*Bert respin?

• eitje

OR how about the racing game being made based on Joust?

• eitje

And I’m really stoked about the RTS based on Tetris.

Ah, you haven’t played the Pong MMORPG yet then?

• eitje

Micro-transactions to buy each ball.

• Farting Bob

I want someone to do a gritty reboot of tetris, its about time.

• eitje

Dr Mario as a horror/suspense game.

• JMccovery

Just what we need, a never-ending RTS… Yay!!!

Sounds like something that SquEnix would make.

• CampinCarl

I’d rather have an FPS reboot of Dangerous Dave. Played the crap out of that when I was a kid.

• Prion

Neat. Now EA just needs to scrape together all of the rest of the rights necessary to make a modern-day System Shock (1) remake.

• BobbinThreadbare

Be careful what you wish for.

• sweatshopking

meh. deus ex was better than system shock.

• d0g_p00p

You are insane system shock was a way better game than deus ex:hr. To each his own though

• sweatshopking

i didn’t say hr was better. i said deus ex was better. that being said, i probably did like hr more than SS anyway.

• swaaye

That’s basically what Bioshock is.

• Plazmodeus

I loved Syndicate, an old favorite. I’ve also hoped for a remake or a sequel, but I ws really hoping for an updated isometric game, not another FPS. To rant, the idea of remaking an old game, like they are doing with X-Com, as an FPS is another example of just how damn creatively vacant the games industry has become. Trust me, I work in videogames as a creative director and the number of times I have heard stupid execs say ‘lets make (________) game into an FPS shocks me. Oh well.

• swaaye

X-Com had already gone shooter way back with the apparently forgotten X-Com Interceptor and X-Com Enforcer. There are several fairly recently made clones of the old X-Com 1/2 tactical strategy style anyway.