AMD overclocks FX chip to 8.4GHz, sets Guinness record

No, FX-series processors still aren’t out. AMD has however pulled a neat little PR stunt by gathering a handful of overclockers—Sami Mäkinen, Brian Mclachlan, Pete Hardman, and Aaron Schradin—and letting them loose on an eight-core FX-8150 CPU. The overclockers purportedly pushed the chip to a whopping 8.429GHz, breaking a Guinness world record in the process. (AMD claims that, before the event, the world’s highest recorded CPU speed was 8.308GHz.)

The chipmaker has posted a video of the action on YouTube, and it’s something to behold:

Partway through the process, the overclockers switched from liquid nitrogen to liquid helium in order to reach lower temperatures. Wikipedia tells me liquid helium boils at just 4.2 kelvin, or 4.2°C above absolute zero, compared to 77°K for liquid nitrogen.

Now, from what I can tell, this feat didn’t involve stability testing. The overclockers merely reached the record-breaking speed and recorded the result in CPU-Z. (Incidentally, the Hwbot database listing mentions a 3.2GHz base clock speed the FX-8150.) However, AMD notes on its official blog that speeds “well above 5GHz” were achieved “using only air or sub-$100 water cooling solutions.” That ought to provide some encouragement to overclockers with more limited means.

Too bad the rest of us will have to keep biding our time until FX-series chips hit stores. AMD says the new processor line won’t be out until some time next quarter.

• daddy0623

Hey all, Here is the deal. You want AMD to get better, to catch up?

It is simple buy their product and get everyone else you know to buy there product. Plain and simple. Then they will have the budget to compete toe to toe with Chipzilla. Untill then they will always lagg.

• wingless

I just noticed they got chew*’s name wrong. It isn’t *Chew, it is chew*.

• SHOES

Man is it just me or is that Aaron Schradin guy really good looking…

• sschaem

not sure if this was discussed… If true, Bulldozer doesn’t brings much to desktop users.

[url<]http://wccftech.com/amd-bulldozer-fx8150-pitted-phenom-ii-x6-1100t-clocktoclock-benchmark-comparison/[/url<]

• Waco

That if you have there is pretty huge considering the source has admitted to completely lying about results in the past…

• JLW777

So this is the ‘aggressive stance’ AMD must adopt according to the new CEO.. Maybe after this marketing campaign. A movie starring Dwayne Johnson and Lindsay Lohan will be out, Dwayne as the over developed overclocker to proctect the chip during transit and procure “Liquid helium’ from a taliban base in north afganistan.. And lindsay will pose as the head designer for the AMD. XD

• Arclight

2.016 V and liquid helium were sitting in a tree K i s s i n g! I get so childish when silly things happen.

• dpaus

I imagine that kissing liquid helium would be a lot like kissing my ex-wife….

• Arclight

Did she ever gave you head?

• dpaus

I refer you to OnlyHalfKidding’s post on the Leidenfrost effect….

• Arclight

You messed up my carefully planed joke. If you have answered Yes i would have replied “I bet that was cool” since you compared her kisses to liquid helium.

• dpaus

I refer you to my earlier post about the need to make humor much less subtle in these threads…

And next time, send a ‘cooperation’ memo; I assumed your response to a ‘yes’ would involve crude comments about missing manhood, etc (normally, I’d expect that more from certain other participants here, but, hey, you [i<]did[/i<] say you were feeling childish)

• Buzzard44

Wow, AMD is farther behind than I thought.

I remember a decade ago hearing how Intel got their NetBurst architecture up to 10GHz.

I guess the Guinness people were out drinking their beer at the time.

• Jigar

Not really, you need to drink more milk, Intel said they can touch 10GHZ if they keep on with the process shrink.

• daddy0623

No you are wrong. Get your facts correct. It was 8.1 GHz.

[url<]http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137478/celeron-overclocked-1ghz[/url<]

• spigzone

Benchmarks are bullsh*t … … as is Intel being ‘better’ than AMD … for the ‘average’ user.

People like me that surf, play games on a 6870, dabble about with various graphics and music programs and so on, watch video and occasionally do some transcoding.

That is for people that use their computers for, essentially, amusement, as opposed to making money running high end professional programs where that Intel ‘edge’ makes an actual difference in productivity.

My Phenom II 1090T is already all the CPU I could possibly need. Or will need for a long time. The same is true of 95%+ of non-professional users.

With modern $100 – $200 processors already so capable relative to actual non-professional need what matters to most is system price and feature set. There AMD is at least fully competitive with Intel.

For most all this talk of needing benchmarks and relative performance is interesting, in an ivory tower sort of way, but that’s really all it is.

• thefumigator

I agree. I own myself an old Phenom 9550 (2.2Ghz, 2MB L3 cache) and I’m not planning upgrading at all. It suits my needs so well. Also my friends find my system to be very snappy and very responsive. Phenom 1 was a snappy and very responsive processor, specially when paired with nforce motherboards. But it never won any benchmarks, except multitasking ones against dual core processors of any brand, at the time.

• daddy0623

I agree as well, I have an 9500 which my yougest uses all the time with a 4870 in it. Plays everything without issues. I use an AMD P2 – 920 OC’d to 3.0 with an SSD and a 5850 and man does it rip. Boots in 10 seconds and performs in line with my oldest sons AMD P2- 940 OC’d to 3.5 with a Raid 0 4 disk set with a 6970 graphics card.

I have loaded these AMD Quad cores down and even when you take them near 100% they still seem snappy as long as you have enough memory. Yet I can tell my 9500 laggs behind the Phenom 2s.

In real life they have plenty of leggs.

• LoneWolf15

While interesting, it says very little about performance-per-clock, something that AMD has a lot of experience with from the P4 vs. Athlon 64 days.

I’ll be waiting to hear the true results, including stable OC performance on quality air cooling (e.g., Thermalright, Noctua, Prolimatech, etc.)

• Bensam123

I’m curious why the base clock speed is 3.2ghz if it can hit 8ghz… Why is there such a huge difference? It can easily hit 5ghz on water… that’s still 2ghz above the base… Why is the base so low?

Is this just headroom for when they eventually ramp up clock speeds after releasing the initial wave? That’s a lot of headroom either way.

• flip-mode

Power consumption. Default clocks from the factory have to be set so as to stay within the TDP of either 95 watt or 125 watts or whatever it is. You can bet that in order to hit 8+ GHz there is a good amount of juice running through that CPU.

If AMD could release a CPU running at 5 GHz default clock and stay under 95 watts, they would.

• Bensam123

Still… more then doubling the clock speed… that has to give a healthy performance boost, I’m sure it’s very linear. People would most definitely pay for that regardless of the TDP.

• flip-mode

As thin of a meal as this seems, it’s important to remember than Intel has a marketing budget large enough to send a brochure to every household in the land, while AMD does not have anything close to that. With that in mind, this type of marketing by AMD makes a lot of sense and probably gets decent return on the marketing dollar spent, even if it rings hollow to many of us.

Intel’s tick-tock cadence makes AMD’s every incremental step appear much more faltering and tortured. Bulldozer seems to have been waited on for an eternity now.

I hope for AMD’s sake that Bulldozer knocks it out of the park. But if any company actually scores a win over Intel, even for just one round, that’s a pretty amazing thing. I don’t expect Bulldozer to beat or even meet Sandy, but I hope in comes close in the right ways. I think power consumption is becoming the most important metric anymore. The performance of even an Athlon II X4 is often good enough (although often not, too). AMD is already ahead on core count, and only a minuscule percentage of consumers can do much with more than 4. However, every watt of power that can be shaved off is still needed, especially for AMD. I hope Bulldozer delivers a wonderful surprise in this regard.

Have to wait and see. As old as it has gotten to continue to wait for Bulldozer, that’s all that there is to do.

• APWNH

I really hope that there will be instances of useful workloads where 8 full cores can help Bulldozer edge out Sandy Bridge…

• daddy0623

“But if any company actually scores a win over Intel, even for just one round, that’s a pretty amazing thing”

I couldn’t agree more. Since Intel’s 2010 Net Revenue was 43.6 Billion and AMD’s Net Revenue was 6.49 Billion and Intels 2010 Research $$s wwer 6.6 Bil and AMD’s 2010 Research $$s were 1.4 Bil, it seems like AMD has done a remarkable job to stay in the game at all. Considering that AMD has been able to compete and beat C2Q and C2D and stay in the game against i5 products is impressive.

This is why it is easy to be an Intel Fanboy. You just jump on the easy band wagon and ignore any business aspects of the game. Just hang on to the same old same ole approach that if it aint the best it aint nothing… How chliche…. what lossers… My guess it will only be a matter of time before Intel attempts to copy AMD with the BD approach to threading so they can make AMD’s BD approach to x86 architecture a mute point.

That was how Intel operated with some key elements of Nehalem.

• neon

I want one of those Guiness World Record judge jobs.

And a FX processor. Or several, plus liquid nitrogen.

• VILLAIN_xx

Sami Mäkinen, Brian Mclachlan, Pete Hardman, and Aaron Schradin were able to get a sample but not TR?

Thats some bull caca.

• dpaus

What makes you think they didn’t get one?

• MethylONE

Yeah, the way [H] is talking I have a feeling they already have one so TR may have one as well. Just all that NDA crap to wait on.

• SHOES

I also happen to know they all have very VERY strict and serious NDA’s signed…. They are contracted and thus work for AMD so why wouldnt they get them first?

• Krogoth

This is not encouraging news at all.

If AMD marketing team has to resort to silly overclocking contest to pimp out their platform. You know that it is in a world of trouble. To make worse, they didn’t try to run any of the epenis benchmark suites. It is likely that record is a POST-stable and CPU-Z Oc’ing which is marginally better than being unstable. I’m only impressed if the OC is stable enough to handle 24 hours of Prime95.

I would find it hilarious that Bulldozer at 8.4Ghz still fails to beat the water-cooled SB overclock rigs (5.5-6Ghz).

It looks like Bulldozer is going to be AMD’s Netburst. Here comes the second coming of the MEGAHURTZ!

What a waste of liquid helium for a such silly stunt.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]It looks like Bulldozer is going to be AMD's Netburst.[/quote<] Yeah, that's kind of ironic, isn't it? "AMD builds a power-hog Netburst CPU five years after the market decides it's a bad idea."

• Waco

You haven’t paid attention to much marketing from AMD in the past have you? This is nothing out of the ordinary for them.

• albundy

at least AMD tried, unlike their counterpart. i could care less about intel products these days. their pricing is pretty much stale for half a decade, and hasn’t really attracted me to consider them in any of my builds.

• Krogoth

Intel’s marketing team doesn’t need to endorse these kind of stunts.

The merits of their products do most of the work. 😉

• Silus

So, you couldn’t care less about a working product, already in the wild…that can be bought, with proven performance numbers…but instead endorse a product (because they “tried” in your words) that doesn’t “exist” yet (can’t be bought) and the only thing going for it is an overclocking record ?

This is beyond fanatism now…this is plain crazyness…

• Deanjo

Running Prime95 for 24 hours isn’t even close to being a good sole test as to if a system is “stable” or not. It’s one specific algorithm that uses a very limited instruction set. I have seen many a “stable” Prime95 system that are crashy when put to other uses.

• maxxcool

Your clearly do not get AMD then.

• Krogoth

I rather have products that don’t need outlandish stunts to make them stand-out.

It is sad, because I’m hoping that Bulldozer can give Intel some geninue compention.

• krazyredboy

Was anybody else amazed by their carelessness whilst handling such extremely low temperature fluids? I can’t understand how they can handle such dangerous materials with little regard for seriously hurting themselves. For instance, when the one guy decided to use his hand to keep any liquid nitrogen from spilling onto the board!

• OnlyHalfKidding

It’s because they have the Leidenfrost effect on their side!

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect[/url<]

• Jambe

Leidenfrost

that is all

/edit: blast, I was beat to it.

• Bensam123

No, I actually read a similar comment. This is from /. which links to a website with the article on it.

In the comments section someone said something similar.

“Seems these guys are not being respectful of the materials they are handling (LN and LH) – Where are the goggles? Where are the gloves? One splash and you’ve got a nasty burn, blind for life, etc. Bad example guys. You’re pros, act like it.”

“Nah dude, neither are really useful unless you’re holding the container with liquid nitrogen in it, and it’s cold. Liquid nitrogen and helium evaporate so quickly that it takes sustained contact with skin to cool its surface long enough for the liquid nitrogen/helium to even actually touch the skin before turning into a gas. I’ve poured liquid nitrogen in my hands, and it creates a layer of nitrogen immediately under the liquid that boils so quickly, your skin barely even gets cold (mind you, I only poured a tablespoonful).”

“Anonymous is correct. I’ve been in contact with LN2, myself. It feels like a cold skin of compressed gas.”

“Liquid nitrogen is soooo cold that if you get it on you in small quantities (like splash), it will surface boil, never touching the skin.

The problem is stepping on LN when you spill some on the floor. That will ruin your shoes! (yeap, speaking from experience)

So yeah, what you posted is uninformed FUD.”

[url<]http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Bulldozer-Processor-hits-8429-GHz-New-World-Record[/url<] Essentially it forms a barrier of gas because it evaporates so fast, so it never touches your skin.

• Mr Bill

Anhydrous H2SO4 straight from the tanker car is sort of like this. But its not the same phenomenon. If your hands are very dry, a droplet in the palm will not burn you immediately and can be washed off with copious running water without harmful effect. But if your hands are moist or you sweat, you get a burn. Definitely do not try this.

• krazyredboy

Thank you for clarifying that. Actually, I was aware of the Leidenfrost effect when concerning things like molten lead and such. It never occurred to me that it was the same principal at that temperature, even though the physics are the same, just with different fluids. So, thank you again.

• Bensam123

Yeah, I didn’t either till I read the comment.

• mcforce0208

This is just the beginning of of AMDs ownage of intel….

[quote<]This is just the beginning of AMD's ownage by Intel....[/quote<] FTFY

• Farting Bob

I only have enough liquid helium on standby to last for a few months, might have to knock the OC down to 7.9Ghz after that. What sad times we live in!

• Bensam123

Tic… Toc…

I hope this is true. I really don’t want AMD to go down (or Intel for that matter, but that’s hard to imagine).

• maroon1

They achieved those clock speed with 1 module only. The other modules were disabled

• flip-mode

It’s neat and all, but has no real relevance.

AMD: launch the product now so we can see it get whupped by Sandy and get on with our lives.

• ronch

Interesting to note that AMD should be flashing off clock speed records now, considering it was them who championed the idea that clock speeds don’t tell the whole story anymore, back in the Athlon XP days.

• SPOOFE

They’ll say whatever makes their product look good. While clock speed isn’t the whole story, it IS an important chapter. 🙂

• indeego

Nice CPU condom. Cute little baby Hertz!

• ronch

I once read at Wikipedia that BD has an insane 50-stage pipeline. If true, I’d be a bit disappointed that they could only reach 8.4GHz. Then again GF is yet to squeeze its 32nm process. Still, I believe by looking at BD’s architecture, that it must run at very high clocks to deliver killer performance.

• Goty

I very seriously doubt Bulldozer’s pipeline is anywhere near 50 stages.

• ronch

It’s been taken off Wikipedia now. I wonder why Intel no longer discloses pipeline lengths. Not with Core 2, Nehalem or Sandy, at least.

• My Johnson

Those guys are beginners. What they need to use are double dewers:

[url<]http://youtu.be/OIcFSHAz4E8[/url<]

• eitje

Pedantic, science-y time: it’s just “kelvin” not “degrees kelvin”. 🙂

• NeelyCam

That’s not sciency – that’s grammar nazism.

• imtheunknown176

False. Gotta give Lord Kelvin the respect he deserves. Kelvins are units (kelvin) like joules, watts, etc. To further point out, there is no degree symbol in front of the K.

• NeelyCam

Nitpicking on details for purity when everyone understands what was meant = grammar nazism

• eitje

i said “science-y”.

Fair enough

• yogibbear

+1. “77°K” doesn’t mean anything to anyone. Have you invented new units Cyril?

• NeelyCam

AMD does something cool and impressive, and the Intel troll army comes out of the woods with vengeance… It’s almost like they’re worried that BD might beat their beloved SB after all.

• ronch

I thought you’re the biggest Intel fanboi around here? Or so someone once said.

• NeelyCam

Sometimes someone is wrong.

• dpaus

Who are you, and what have you done with NeelyCam?

• SomeOtherGeek

Oh man, you remember snakeoil?! That was fun times. Not comparing you, NeelyCam, just sharing a thought.

• dpaus

When snakeoil was around, he was so outrageous and outlandish that nobody noticed NeelyCam’s tendancies; he was totally ignored. Must have been humiliating.

Ya know, now that you mention it, I remember NeelyCam going off-line for the 4 days immediately before snakeoil’s mysterious disappearance….

• NeelyCam

Are you implying something…? You have no proof.

Yet…

• NeelyCam

We’ll see what EU’s ombudsman will say about this.

• NeelyCam

I’m an equal-opportunity troll… It just seems that Intel fanbois don’t bite as easily, so it’s not as much fun

• daddy0623

That is beacause Intel fanboys are usually the least knowledgable out of the two camps. Not always but over all or in large part. The reason they default to being Intel fanboys is it is the easy way out. Being an Intel Fanboy is like backing Oracle over Informix.

• mutarasector

There – your humor de-subtlefication is working. Even >I< got that one!!

• SomeOtherGeek

Heh heh! Yea, but god, I really, really do hope that BD beats SB badly cuz Intel needs to get off their slow, draggin’ ass! (They are not that slow, but I know they can do better – especially in the pricing area)

• ronch

Not to mention Haswell, which BD will face in 2013. Given AMD’s history their next architectural refresh wouldn’t be out until 2015. I hope they won’t be basing their next 3 architectures (after Phenom II) around BD the way they did with K7 to K10 (which by my reckoning should have been called K9).

• daddy0623

Seriously SOG…?? They spend more in research then many countries make in their entire GDP.. If that isn’t true, they outpace any other Semi Con firm in the world. Also has anyone else out there produce more versions of CPU architectures then Intel over the past 5 years… ??? Yeah I know they like to copy stuff off of AMD and then make it better but hey that is business. Yet the answer my last question is, No one. Intel is a research and chip manufacturer juggernaut, which is stating the obvious. That is why they are ahead in the game.

Man, I am glad I don’t have to compete with them directly.

So I don’t think it is fair for you to say they are dragging A… They probably could produce more and better chips but there is a thing called ROI and other business reasons not to. It isn’t about producing the best performing chip. It is about seperating you from you’re money in the most cost evffective way.

• sschaem

I think the negative comments are because AMD keep blowing smoke, in this game Helium smoke.
      BTW, their is absolutely no question about performance anymore, BD will fall far off SB target.

• daddy0623

Have you seen the BD benchmarks posted at Lenfire.com?? You couldn’t be more wrong.

• daddy0623

I am already hearing Intel fanboys cry about it isn’t fair to compare a quad core to a BD hexecore since i5 and i7s are NOT true hexicores…

You Intel ladies… you didn’t have any problem touting how great HTing was prior to that so why are you crying now… LOLOL

• ew

[quote<]...the overclockers switched from liquid nitrogen to liquid helium...[/quote<] Seriously? I've half jokingly said in the past I wouldn't be impressed until someone overclocked with liquid helium but seriously? Overclockers officially have far too many resources available to them.

• drfish

Make no mistake, it’s AMD’s resources… I was at an over-clocking event at CES in 2009 – we actually froze the LN2 solid and had to wait for it to melt. Craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

• Goty

Liquid helium really isn’t “new”, as such. It’s just hard (read: really expensive) to get hold of, so it’s usually just the sponsored guys that play with it.

• continuum

Yep… liquid nitrogen is (relatively speaking) much, much easier to get.

Liquid helium… holy crap! INSANE.

• radializ3r

Also, 4.2K is still “hot” compared to other situations … during some cryogenics work that we did at grad school, we were looking at electron coherence at sub-1K temperatures and a lot of the data was collected at 0.01K (one hundredth of a degree above absolute zero). 🙂

The setup to get this going was a Helium3/Helium4 phase mixture dilution refrigeration system that could maintain that temperature for months once it cooled down. Of course, cooling from room temp to 0.01K was itself a 2-3 day process!

Definitely an expensive setup as Goty mentions … really only for the well-funded! 🙂

• NeelyCam

Which grad school can afford such luxuries?

• cegras

Any chemistry department with a NMR.

• dpaus

[quote<]Seriously? Overclockers officially have far too many resources available to them[/quote<] I know about the generic [color] tags, but how'd you get that neat-o green tinge to your font?

• Waco

Ugh…methinks you’re seeing things or your monitor is borked.

• dpaus

I really [i<]must[/i<] work on making my humor less subtle....

• Waco

My brain must be non-functional at work some days…

• dpaus

Well, better that it happens there than, um, er….

• Waco

When I’m sneaking in a TechReport fix my humor sensor doesn’t work as well. 😛

• jensend

*WHOOSH*

• NeelyCam

So high up there you need a telescope

• ew

I used the quote tag.

• mav451

You say that like it’s a bad thing…

• Silus

Yay, a pointless record for a chip we have yet to see benchmarked…
    If Bulldozer was anything as it’s been hyped to be, we would be having weekly conferences to praise how revolutionary it was. Given that we’re getting pointless overclocking records, then only thing Bulldozer is going to do is underwhelm…

• NeelyCam

So, OneArmedScissor: can we finally conclude that there is no magical 4GHz barrier..? These run at 8GHz with liquid cooling, 5GHz with air, and the top dual-core (oops, sorry, “quad-core”) has 4.2GHz base clock..

• Vulk

8 Ghz, with liquid helium, not just any old liquid cooling. And a 3.2GHz base clock, not 4.2…

• NeelyCam

Sure, but getting crazy clocks out is impressive regardless. Circuits aren’t necessarily that happy at crazy low temperatures. And 4.2GHz was about a different BD chip, not this one.

OAS has claimed that 4GHz is this unbreakable wall without insane power draw regardless of process node, and I’ve claimed there is no unbreakable wall – process improvements keep pushing achievable clock frequencies higher

• Deanjo

magical 4GHz barrier….. this is starting to sound like was said prior to Chuck Yeager taking a ride on the Bell X-1 about the sound barrier.

• OneArmedScissor

We can conclude that you should probably see a psychologist.

• NeelyCam

My psychiatrist would feel left out.

• Bensam123

Gotta get those pills somehow.

I know a guy

• ronch

10GHz if you cool it with a nice scoop of chocolate ice cream on it instead of liquid helium.

• mno

Magical 4GHz barrier? Intel has been supplying OEMs the 4.4GHz base clock X5698 for months now.

• Waco

Isn’t that the Westmere with 4 cores disabled?

• NeelyCam

OAS probably thinks it burns too much power.

• Pez

Excellent! We know it can scale now, so how does it perform 😀

• Ashbringer

Where’s the freaking benchmarks already?

• ronch

I would think that a lot of review sites have them already but are under NDA.

• drfish

Some of you met Aaron at the TR BBQ. 😉

• Dposcorp

Fish, was he there before I left around 6PM? I know we talked about him but dont remember if I met him.

Regardless, that was a fun video to watch. I am looking forward to BD, even if it just equals SB in price/performance.
      Nice to have options, and support the the little guy.

• drfish

I’m not sure exactly when he got there but it was later… He brought the two old[ist] Tyan boards and dual socket 940[?] quad-core Opterons to put in them. Who ended up taking those home anyway?

• HighTech4US2

When AMD panders directly to the geeks it is a signal that all is not right with their designs and that we shouldn’t expect Bulldozer to be competitive against Intel’s Sandy Bridge.

• NeelyCam

AMD panders to the geeks because their non-geeky friends consider them as experts/trend-setters, and from marketing point of view it’s important to keep trend-setters impressed and happy.

Intel doesn’t care because they have better brand recognition and business market already in the pocket.

• bittermann

Plus better processors…

• NeelyCam

It hasn’t mattered which processor is better for a long time now. It’s not like masses can just look at the model number and know what they mean.. They have to rely on expert friends to make buying decisions for them.

• BobbinThreadbare

Who is this NeelyCam who makes reasonable statements instead of just trolling about how AMD’s processors are worse than Intel’s?

• NeelyCam

It’s curious how you would consider me reasonable only when I say something good about AMD, but not when I say something good about Intel…

Fact remains: AMD’s processors are worse than Intel’s.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]Fact remains: AMD's processors are worse than Intel's.[/quote<] I agree, and I think BD will remain worse than Intel's offerings. Though I think it will close the gap some. However, I don't see why you feel the need to point it out in every single thread about either Intel or AMD when it's plainly obvious. Also, the post I called reasonable was neither pro or anti AMD, it was just what I felt was a realistic view of the market.

• anotherengineer

“It hasn’t mattered which processor is better for a long time now.”

True that.

I got the wife an E-350 notebook and she is very happy with it. It boots and shuts down quick enough.

Makes me think, it would be cool to see a subjective/timewatch review.

(for geeks, workstations, power users fall outside the 99%)

So TR how about it, review time again? How CPU performace affects everyday system performance

Heck maybe I will do it in the winter when I have time. I can disable cores and control clocks with the unlocked multiplier, give me something to do when it is -40 outside 🙁

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Windows 7 OS, all the same hardware, and just change the cpu cores/speed to see how it affects boot times, shut down times, web browser load times, and a few other basic everyday tasks that 99% of people use. I bet a dual core at about 1.8GHz would be the line of diminishing returns for this.[/quote<] That's almost entirely dependent on your HDD/SSD... which is why I'm an advocate of upgrading to an SSD before anything else.

• drfish

I’ve had Intel CPUs in my main rig for two generation now for that reason. [i<]However[/i<] I love AMD for doing awesome crap like this but don't feel that strongly about Intel even though I've given them more of my money in recent years.

• wierdo

AMD always did geek PR like this, regardless of their position. I remember them having a MHz myth busting PR tour a while ago when Intel was using Pentium4 based CPUs as their flagship processors.

• OneArmedScissor

My grandmother is really excited about the octal core Bulldozer.

• ronch

I think I saw her at walmart buying liquid helium the other day.

• LoneWolf15

Mine wants one for her Folding@Home rig.

• ronch

So AMD should pander at non-techy people who don’t give a crap about clock speeds?

• jcw122

HighTech get off this website if you don’t enjoy this!

• albundy

maybe you dont mind paying four times for similar performance, but i do.

• chuckula

Yeah well the AMD blog says speeds well above 5Ghz, but that doesn’t mean they were stable. I would have been more impressed seeing an air-cooled FX CPU *stable* at 5Ghz. I would have been even more impressed seeing an FX CPU stable at 5Ghz beating an overclocked 2600K at 4.4Ghz (which is almost automatic using air cooling) at a wide variety of benchmarks.

• Goty

I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least some air-cooled chips hitting 5GHz at launch, not to mention what will happen once GF’s automatic process improvement tech (I can never remember the name or acronym) gets ahold of a number of wafer runs.

• chuckula

Cherry picked CPUs at 5Ghz are easy… lots of people who aren’t on the Intel marketing team hit 5.2Ghz with air cooling all the time, although you aren’t guaranteed to go that fast (the 4.4Ghz speed is almost automatic on a 2600K with a decent air cooler).

I’m not shocked that cherry-picked samples of an architecture that AMD intentionally designed to clock fast (apparently at the expense of IPC ala the Pentium IV) can overclock by about 20%. I’m more interested to see 1. if it’s stable, 2. what the power consumption is compared to an overclocked Intel chip in a similar region, and 3. will the magical 5Ghz Bulldozers actually be faster than the Intel chips in real world usage, or is this just a stupid stunt to mask AMD’s manufacturing and design problems?

• chuckula

For all the AMD schills who modded me down… please post the benchmarks showing these OC’d bulldozers performing a wide range of performance benchmarks in a stable manner and beating the Intel chips. If AMD marketing can stage an event showing ridiculous clockspeeds in unrealistic situations, they can damn well show real benchmark results too… unless they’re afraid to do so.

• Goty

I think it’s more the tone of your comments than what you’re saying. Well, that’s why [i<]I[/i<] rated you down, at least. 😉

• NeelyCam

What you’re saying is factual for the most part, but you’re getting thumbed because you missed the point. This is a cool geek marketing show, nothing more and nothing else. No different from Intel’s similar overclocking shows with Coolaler et al.

It’s a bit silly to expect full stability, benchmarking, idle/load power measurements, gaming tests etc. ..

• bthylafh

You’re being downmodded because you’re a douchebag. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Why?

• ronch

Chill out dude. You want some liquid helium for that? Then we could overclock you to 8.4GHz too.

• NeelyCam

C’mon, the clock record runs have never been stable. That’s not the point.

You have to admit this is pretty cool…!?

• chuckula

I’m not upset with AMD for doing a clock speed record run. I *am* upset with AMD for going out of its way to hide and obfuscate any real information about Bulldozer while simultaneously doing stupid stunts like this. If AMD had done this demo *at* the launch event or after that’s fine, but this is just a continuation of AMD’s marketing dishonesty.

Before you say “oh Intel does that too!” Sure Intel has marketing, but look at the difference in hype. Go over to Toms Hardware and you’ll see a full rundown… including real benchmarks and both positive and negative points, of an actual working 3960X in a real working motherboard. *THAT* is what AMD would be doing if it had a winning product. Right now we have more *confirmed* performance data for an Intel chip that isn’t supposed to come out until almost the end of this year than we do for an AMD chip that was originally going to be out in Q2.

• Waco

AMD has *never* released benchmarks prior to launch. Bulldozer hasn’t launched.

I fail to see why you’re getting bent out of shape from a marketing stunt.

• sschaem

Bulldozer is out, its been shipping and is in the hand of customers.

• NeelyCam

Benchies, or it’s not real.

• Waco

Ugh. Fine, I’ll play the semantic game.

Interlagos is out…kinda. Cray has some of them.

Zambezi is not out at all.

• NeelyCam

Marketing is dishonest in general.

The fact that Tom’s Hardware may have some ‘confirmed’ performance data for SB-E is besides the point. Bottom line is, you don’t know if AMD has a winning product or not. It might. You just don’t know yet.

• Silus

So you think that if they had a winning product, they would be:

1) this late
            2) showing off overclocking records, instead of actual every day performance data

Think again…

• NeelyCam

They’ve been dealing with GloFo yield issues, and possibly also with bugs.

If the performance sucks now but a single respin to fix a bug makes the chip beat the competition, then I would still call it a winning product.

Note, though, that I never said I thought BD is a winning product or not. I’m still waiting for benchmarks, but I leave the door open for that possibility. It seems like you don’t… you’re claiming it can’t be a winning product based on hype and fud, instead of anything concrete.

• Silus

LOL…yield issues ? You’ve got to be kidding.
            Why are yield issues for any company other than AMD, their own problem, but when it’s AMD the problems come only from the foundry ? These double standards are really boring…

If they are having yield issues, that’s THEIR problem and they will suffer the consequences. Plain and simple.

• travbrad

Here have a snack, you must be hungry.

• NeelyCam

Wow, NVidia fanbois are even more rabid than AMD ones.

• travbrad

Nuh Uh

• dpaus

[quote<]You have to admit this is pretty cool...!?[/quote<] Kevin Bacon just told me that there's less than 6 degrees seperating this from Absolutely Cool.

• ronch

At 4.2 degrees Kelvin? Way too cool.

EDIT : Samsung tablet keyboard driving me crazy!

• dpaus

[quote<]4.2 degrees Kelvin[/quote<] Don't let Dr. Sheldon 'eitje' Cooper hear you say that!

All tablet keyboards drive me crazy. That’s why I’m waiting for ultrabooks 😛

• ronch

Already tried them all, huh?

• NeelyCam

Let’s say I’ve tried several, and they all drive me crazy.