Windows 8 to have a kinder, gentler BSOD screen

The new blue screen of death? #Windows8 on Twitpic

Finally, a blue screen-of-death design for my generation! NetworkWorld reports that Microsoft has reimagined the infamous blue screen of death in Windows 8, imbuing it with a kinder, gentler quality—namely a big ASCII frown and a shorter, more concise message that would (almost) fit inside a 140-character tweet:

🙁

You can search for the error online: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Patrick Kortendick of MobilityDigest and Xbox360Digest put up a picture of the new BSOD in the wild on TwitPic, and it looks like a reboot countdown clock is in the mix, too. Click the thumbnail on the right for the full-sized version.

• LoneWolf15

I’m not liking this potential dumbing-down of Windows.

I just started running a VM of Windows 8 DP today, and after three minutes, I UTFG-ed to find a registry edit to turn the Metro Shell off (it can’t be toggled in the current developer preview). I’m sure it’s great for smartphones, tablets, and probably kiosk-PCs with touch-screens, but for anyone looking to get some serious work done on a desktop, I found it frustrating and annoying. And every time I went to the desktop and clicked the Start button, it was back all over again until I disabled it.

Perhaps they could branch Windows like this:

Windows 8 “Average User Edition” (formerly Windows 8 Home)
    Windows 8 “Smart User Edition” (formerly Windows 8 Pro, with an easy on/off for the Metro interface)
    Windows 8 “Genius Edition” (formerly Windows 8 Ultimate, with Metro turned off by default)

I wonder what we’d name the Enterprise Edition, but I’m sure we could figure something out.

• Kent_dieGo

They had to have the sad face sideways or else it would have looked too much like the sad Mac face from the original Mac’s.

• jpostel

BeOS had the best errors. All in haiku.

[url<]http://8325.org/haiku/[/url<] Ephemeral site. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your screams. Rather than a beep Or a rude error message, These words: 'Site not found.'

• The Wanderer

Technically those would be (I think) senryu, since they don’t contain even an indirect reference to one of the four seasons – which I understand is required by the definition of haiku.

Still great error messages, though.

• dashbarron

The old BSOD made us a stronger people. We learned to become stoic in a crisis situation and keep our cool.

This is going to produce a generation of wussies.

• Wirko

Ha! Microsoft has plans to show us those blues screens more often than before, so they engaged some real graphic designers and succeeded in making them friendlier.

The pre-8 design wasn’t exactly in MS’s favor:

[url<]http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php/2008/09/18/places-worldwide-hit-by-the-windows-blue-screen-of-death.html[/url<]

• ronch

I say, just display a picture of a white skull and crossbones while locking the computer down. Should be a whole lot funnier for inexperienced hacks.

• Neutronbeam

NO ONE commented on the message “HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED”? Because I immediately thought of the PC refusing to boot while it played the voice of HAL in “2001” saying “I’m sorry Dave, I can’t do that.”

Ah well, at least I amused myself :-).

• Firestarter

Hardware Abstraction Layer isn’t exciting 🙁

I didn’t, but now I do. +1 for you!

• MadManOriginal

They should have named it a ‘kernel panic.’ Then Windows PCs would become rock solid stable, never crashing, immune to all viruses, and generally magical all around.

• crabjokeman

Windows doesn’t panic. It calmly tells you that it’s crashed, even when it’s the fifth time that day. Then you reboot and go back for more abuse because you know you love it and Bill Gates is your daddy. Don’t worry though, the next version will be better and it will only cost $10 more than the last one.

• dashbarron

Still better than a new OSX every two years costing you $30 a pop and you lose immediate support for legacy apps.

• bcronce

The cost of OSX is irrelevant, Apples doesn’t sell an OS, they sell hardware, which is why they charge up-to 2xs more for the same hardware.

eg. I’ll sell you a Ford Torus with aftermarket rims for $60k, but you get free oil changes for life

• bcronce

your name suits you well

• Bensam123

“I don’t know how that ASCII frown will go over in the button-down business world, but I, for one, hope Microsoft keeps it. System crashes are frustrating enough as it is; having your operating system barf up a screen full of ugly, cryptic text is like twisting the knife in the wound.”

I’m actually on the other end. If I see the a smiley face on a fatal error it’s like someone smiling at you while telling you that you’re fired. It’s almost like the system is mocking you. It doesn’t need to tell you how you feel with a unhappy face.

The screen is nice except forthat smiley and the coy error message. If it offered some solutions or possible things to do to find a solution it would be much better. Especially if it holds the error code for when the machine reboots, does some basic troubleshooting (like what happened right before the error happened, not just the specific error), and takes you to a area where you could find a solution. Mac error screens can bite my ass.

• Joe Miller

Very good suggestions.

• Bensam123

You got a -1 for liking my post… lol.

• helix

“Yesterday I was out of bread so I reimagined Breakfast.”

I reimagined this post at least ones before positng it.

Oups, I just reimagined the spelling of “posting”. How very reimaginative of me.

• Krogoth

I hope that Windows 8 still allows for old BSODs. They are quite useful for diagnosing what is going on with the OS, but the amount of information that they contain is intimidating to average joe user.

• Deanjo

Compared to other OS’s however even the old ones are utterly useless.

• crabjokeman

You might want to raise your expectations of your OS if you get nostalgic for the old crash screen.

• Meadows

You’re an idiot. The classic BSOD messages were walls upon walls of useless text. You really only need two things: the message above (for example, “HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED” or “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” or others), and maybe a hex code if you’re hardcore.

The remaining WALL OF TEXT is useless. It talks about “recently changed hardware” and other generic suggestions that will simply:
      A) fly over the head of an average user
      B) be USELESS for someone who actually does troubleshooting.

The new BSOD shows the same amount of information as the old one, and it’s a lot nicer.

• Krogoth

>doesn’t understand memory dumps

>doesn’t understand what the codes mean

They are quite helpful at pinning down driver, hardware and malware related issues.

• The Wanderer

As long as they either still provide the specific error codes (e.g. ‘0xc0000005’, the initial hex codes which are always the same for a crash from the same cause), or replace those error codes with equally specific text strings (e.g. “Unable to read boot drive” or “ERROR_READING_BOOT_DRIVE”), I’m all for this.

I don’t need the memory addresses which are provided with some current BSODs, since I don’t have access to the source code and debugging tools which would let me do anything useful with them, but I do want to know exactly which error I’ve encountered. Presenting the error information in a more user-friendly way isn’t a bad thing (and I do really like the inclusion of that emoticon), but the information itself is IMO essential.

• EtherealN

I’d prefer concise text “codes” actually. Not for myself, but for all those that see numbers on screen and just give up. Those are the people they’re catering for here, after all – the rest of us will figure it out anyway. 🙂

• The Wanderer

As long as those codes are at least as specific and informative as the numeric error codes we’d otherwise get, yes, I agree entirely.

• EtherealN

Just give me the good old Guru Meditations, dammit! 😀

• Game_boy

🙁

• PeterD

Euh…

“Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn’t handle, and now it needs to restart.”

????????

“No problem. I can handle it. I restart.”

Yeah.

It’s the biggest joke of the week (the year isn’t over yet, and MS might come up with some better ones)

• PeterD

Héhé, it makes me laugh…
    It’s a bit like: “you shouldn’t give marks at school, because dum pupils will feel bad about it.”
    So you just tell them all at the sudden at the end of the year that they flunked.

• jcw122

If I wanted a silly interface like that, I’d buy a Mac.

• Deanjo

Hehm sorry but OS X’s logs (as are any *nix) are far superior then Windows. You can actually see what lead up to the crash rather then just the end result.

• tootercomputer

Does anyone know who first coned the term “blue screen of death” (BSOD) for those blue-screen messages? I always thought it was hilarious and so apt. My memory is that the term started during the W98 days.

• adisor19

Nah, that was earlier for sure. Win 95 with its awesome Plug’n Pray implementation is probably responsible for half the BSODs in existence.

Adi

• bthylafh

That’s been around since the very first version of Windows.

• EtherealN

Actually, earlier than that. This goes back to IBM PC’s and their OS/2 – IBM being “Big Blue” and that screen being the “Blue Screen of Death”. It transitioned into Microsoft-land through Microsoft having worked with IBM on DOS.

• PeterD

Must have been the first person who ever used Windows. 🙂

On the positive side: the guy who invented it, is dead.

• XaiaX

For a more emotionally accurate emoticon, they should use:

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━━┻

• CasbahBoy

Post of the year, right here.

• Johnny5

I see the figure in the left half, but I still don’t get it.

it’s flipping the table over

• destroy.all.monsters

So it’s not an AK-47 or something?

Huh.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Can someone please explain to a dummy how the figure on the left works?!

• Decelerate

-Parentheses are the body edges
        -Dots are the eyes
        -The “A” is the mouth
        -The curvy upwards character are the arms

• Decelerate

You sir won a year’s worth of Internets

Thanks for your comment! Brightened up a very, very, very crummy day at work.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]very crummy day at work.[/quote<] Crumminess can be addressed: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrl9rnstSU0[/url<] [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSQeEP2XZk[/url<] [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRpej75hONw[/url<]

• KoolAidMan

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

• HunterZ

We’re talking about Microsoft, so the table should be changed to a chair.

• RtFusion

Ehhh, not sure if I like this one. I liked the older one since it had more “stuff”, like the hex code, showing that it is creating the dump, and was more informative too (well, it does say that possible causes might be recent software hardware changes and the like).

Or maybe I’m just “old’ (born in 1990 BTW).

• PeterD

You should know by know that it’s MS’s strategy to reduce the amount of information the user gets.

• EtherealN

Increasing the odds that the average user actually understands what’s displayed. Whenever someone like my mom, or a sister etcetera gets a BSOD and phones me about the issue, the conversation goes like this:

“Hey, I had a blue screen, what should I do?”
        “Depends, what did it say?”
        “I dunno, lots of numbers, I didn’t understand any of it.”

…at which point I have nothing to go on. This essentially distills the information in such a way that a normal person that is not a geek like me (and I assume, like most people here) knows what to look at; if this increases the odds that anyone can notice something saying “ACCESS_VIOLATION” or “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” or whatever, the odds of them giving me proper information that lets me help them goes up. With the BSODs as they are right now, they see the blue color, a “wall of numbers”, and immediately give up.

If you want or need more detailed information, I assume you can still reach it through the dumps and/or event viewer, which is fine by me. Most BSODs I have to handle don’t actually happen on my computer, they happen on some family member’s computer or a user’s machine, and anything that increases the odds that Johnny Newbie can start off his conversation with me with accurate and relevant information is good, in my book.

• The Wanderer

Dumps and Event Viewer aren’t always available, though. Dumps aren’t available if the problem is with the hard drive; Event Viewer isn’t available if you’re getting the bluescreen on every boot, and can’t get into the OS.

That said, I do agree that dropping the hex codes from the default display is a good thing, as long as the actually useful ones – the ones which narrow down the very broad errors described by e.g. “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” to something specific enough that it stands a chance of having a specific solution – are replaced by descriptive text, or by some other means of narrowing it down that far.

The memory-address information in the existing BSODs doesn’t help anyone who doesn’t have access to the source code (or, at the very least, a debug-enabled binary) of the driver or other module at fault. It also does no one outside of Microsoft any good to see the actual hexadecimal values for the various error conditions; what we need to know is the error conditions those values represent, and for that, sufficiently precise descriptive text strings would actually work better.

• EtherealN

Let’s not jump ahead though – we don’t know whether they’ve removed any information elsewhere; this is just the BSOD itself. Restarting it, you’ll still have the alert with directions to the dump. If you are an individual that knows how to use the dumps, you don’t need every single bluescreen telling you a dump was made. It’s redundant information to you, but distracting informtion for the newbie.

• axeman

If born in 1990 is old, put me on an ice floe and push me out to sea.

• crabjokeman

I often feel relatively old too, but then someone tells me about these things called “punch cards” and I feel like a baby again.

• srg86

*shrugs* seems more like dumbing down to me, but then I’m a geek. Still at least the reason for the error is still stated.

• Mystic-G

Would’ve been better had they used this.

[url<]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd394/savemefromsinners/meme%20face%20part%201/tn-tumblr_l9qobyVxbV1qzzud0.jpg[/url<]

• ronch

Or a picture of Bill Gates swimming in his money bin earned from selling Windows.

• PrincipalSkinner

Blue Smiley Of Death!

• Meadows

The smiley is white.

• PeterD

But the paper is blue…

It’s a bit like “I’m going to torture you to get some information, but you don’t have to take it personally.”

Paper?

• green

… and not smiling either

• Sahrin

Needs moar lulz.

• The Dark One

Finally, an answer to the little X_X face Macs used to make when failing to boot properly.

• adisor19