Report: Apple feeling no pressure to rush out iPad 3

Remember that talk about a third-generation iPad coming out this year? Well, don’t start queuing up outside your local Apple Store just yet. According to J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz, who was quoted by AppleInsider, Apple isn’t feeling strong competitive pressure and shouldn’t have a new iPad out until some time next year.

Moskowitz says Apple has multiple prototypes of the third-generation device in the supply chain. However, he adds, "The other tablet entrants have stumbled so far, and that trend-line could persist deep into 2012. . . . Until we see how Amazon fares, we think the next potential threat to Apple’s tablet dominance is not until late 2012 when Windows 8-based tablets could hit the market."

The tablet market has gotten more crowded this year as Android tablets have started popping up in stores, but Apple remains top dog by far. In fact, AppleInsider says IDC’s market share numbers suggest Apple took share away from Android tablets in the second quarter, leaving it with a 68.3% slice of the global tablet market.

The first iPad came out in April 2010, and the iPad 2 debuted in March of this year. If Apple decides to ignore Android tablets and stick to its normal release cycle, we might see the third-gen iPad next spring. Previous stories tell us the iPad 3 could have a high-resolution, 2048×1536 display.

• JLW777

Ipad 3 spec looks good.. Think I’m fascinated by bigger and smaller numbers as long as they are applied in the correct places… Shotgun!

• FatherXmas

Funny how you don’t have to worry about competing in the market place when you are able to ban the sale of one of your biggest threats.

Let me do the introductions. Apple meet the DoJ. DoJ this is Apple. You two are going to have a lot to talk about.

• ish718

2048×1536 sounds like panning hell

• indeego

More like zooming hell for those over 40.

• UberGerbil

Yep

• Farting Bob

Not if everything is scaled as with the iphone 4 transition. Apple tend to be one of the only ones who get it right in that regard, not just increase pixel density without automatically adjusting font size and all the other resolution dependant items.

• NeelyCam

Hmm… I don’t know.. if the source takes advantage of it, such an insane dpi might make it look lifelike (current HDTV resolution doesn’t quite capture that).

It might look.. (dare I say it…?) magical

• glynor

Note: The 68.3% “market share” IDC number is share of tablet [i<]shipments[/i<], not of tablet [i<]sales[/i<]. Big difference. You could conceivably become the number one tablet maker by those standards by just shipping a crapload of tablets out of your factories, even if not a single one sold. Apple's percentage of tablets sold in the "real world"? We don't know, but it is probably closer to 90%.

• yogibbear

Tell me one thing an iPad does that is useful beyond gimmicky and that isn’t done by another device better?

• Anarchist

lets’ see … you don’t have to install flash-blocker?

• ChronoReverse

Flash blockers only provide a choice to enable flash in specific cases. And only in the case of PC’s is that required since Android has the option of “On Demand” built in.

You don’t actually have to install Flash at all if you wanted a neutered experience so by default it’s the same.

• mutarasector

That’s something it _doesn’t_ do, not something it actually does. An iPad doesn’t flush a toilet yet either.

• entropy13

Identifies you as a rich guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing just as effectively as a rich guy wearing a shirt with “I don’t know what I’m doing” printed at the front.

iPads are being advertised as “productivity tools” but everyone I know just plays games on them.

• Dazrin

I know several people who use them as productivity tools. The only person I know who has one and doesn’t use it as a productivity tool is my Dad and he never intended to.

• UberGerbil

One of my neighbors is a self-employed architect who uses an iPad as a presentation / sales tool. He uses a real computer to do the designs, but presents them to his clients on the iPad. He could do that on a laptop too, of course, and did so in the past; but there’s no need for a keyboard and instead of a laptop sitting on a desk they have something they can hold in their hands as they look at the design / model from various angles. He thinks that visceral and immediate experience is a very effective sales tool. (Of course if also helped there was a “wow” factor just from the iPad itself, since he was an early adopter and in several cases it was the first time the clients had actually touched one.)

• mutarasector

If by ‘productivity’, you mean racking up large scores on Angry Birds, I suppose it is a “productivity” tool…

• Corrado

I can carry it around for remote support for work and use LogMeIn to connect to a server. I can do this with 10+ hour battery life and a 1lb, < 1″ thick form factor. I can also watch a baseball game on a 10″ screen with the same form factor. The beauty comes with the form factor and battery life. I can easily fit an ipad into the glove box or center console of my car for portability. I can’t fit my MacBookPro in there. While i CAN fit said laptop into a backpack to carry around, the iPad is 1lb, my laptop is 5lbs. My lapotp gets 5-6 hours of battery life in moderate usage. My iPad gets 10 hours.

• mcnabney

He asked, ‘what can be done with’ not ‘what are the benefits of the form factor’

You can use logmein from a smartphone too.

• Corrado

But on a smart phone its not better than on an ipad. He said what can be done that isn’t don on another device better. LogMeIn on an iPad is far superior to using it on a smart phone. It can be done on a laptop ‘better’ but then i have to carry around a big, heavy machine with poor battery life. Therefore the ipad does it ‘better’.

• A_Pickle

You know, the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer offers those exact benefits… and more.

• Deanjo

Got them both, EEE sits on the coffee table (due to the latching dock busting off in the first month) and the iPad does productivity.

• A_Pickle

Anecdotal evidence of personal product dissatisfaction doesn’t speak to the product on the whole, which appears to be pretty well-received for the overwhelming majority of users. Unlike the iPad 2, the Eee Pad Transformer actually has the option of [i<]having[/i<] a keyboard dock. Can you even get a mouse pointer for the iPad? Or have the Divinely-inspired engineers at Apple had an epiphany that the mouse is a bygone input device characteristically used by decadent and waning societies, and completely omitted it from iOS entirely? Thanks... I'll skip the iPad and do my productivity on a real keyboard. With USB ports. And additional battery life, for more productivity.

• Deanjo

So what you really wanted it an ARM equipped netbook and not a tablet at all.

• A_Pickle

Ugh.

No, you see, I’m a fan of the notebook form factor. I don’t think that notebooks have stayed roughly the same (digital display attached to data input/processing hardware via hinges) for the past two decades because it was a bad form factor.

On the same token, it’s clear that computing hardware has gotten good enough in terms of performance-per-watt and heat dissipation to simply put all the data processing and data input right into the screen. That’s awesome! But why is it mandatory, according to you and the rest of the internet, that this acheivement in technology [i<]must[/i<] be met with the eradication of the notebook? I'm sorry -- I [i<]like[/i<] my physical keyboard. And, if all the guts are contained with the screen, then why not add some more features along with the keyboard? Like, extra battery life, maybe some USB ports and ethernet connectivity? I'm happy to touchscreen my way through most of my tasks. I don't need a keyboard to watch YouTube videos, or to browse the web, or to play Angry Birds or Tank Hero... ...but when I'm typing posts like this or e-mails, well, I'm gonna need a physical keyboard. I've typed a post of about this length on both iOS and Android touchscreen [i<]tablet[/i<] keyboards, and I can't say I'm enthralled. As a matter of fact, I'm far from it. Swype on Android (for phones) and the standard iPhone soft keyboard are actually [i<]pretty good![/i<] But, I think their small size is actually a boon to usability -- in the tablet context, [i<]they suck[/i<]. They're too big, and it's waaaay too easy to accidentally tap the incorrect character. Honestly, Microsoft's thumb keyboard for Windows 8 looks like the best soft keyboard solution for tablets -- but even that, I doubt, will give me the same WPM as the real deal. So no, I just want more tablets to offer a form-fitting dock like the Eee Pad Transformer, because unlike the entire blogosphere (apparently)... I don't see notebooks as suddenly obsolete because tablets arrived. I think notebooks and tablets are complementary...

• Deanjo

BTW, there are many keyboards that are available for the iPad if one desires to use one. I have one but many times I leave it at home. It all depends on what I am doing. The particular one that I use is from logitech and even with it attached to the iPad 2 it still slips into any plain iPad 2 case so it doesn’t add any appreciable bulk.

• A_Pickle

I understand that there are keyboards available for the iPad, and indeed, just about every other tablet out there. Bluetooth keyboards exist.

I’m not interested in those. I want a notebook form factor. I want the keyboard attached, so that the screen can stand on its own and so that I can get benefits like bonus battery life and/or more ports. I don’t see what the point of having a physically separate keyboard is, if mobility and simplicity is your goal.

• mutarasector

How did you bust off a metal latching dock? We’re you bouncing it off a concrete wall or something?

• Kharnellius

Why does anyone respond? He’s obviously not interested in it. Big deal. It’s not for him, then. OMG a product doesn’t appeal to 110% of the population!!!!! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!?!?!?!!

😉

• SPOOFE

IPS screen, great battery life, incredibly light weight. That’s it.

• A_Pickle

Yeah, man, ASUS Eee Pad Transformers are awesome.

Er, I mean, iPads, yes, iPads…

• Bensam123

It’s a fad and all the cool kids have one.

• ThorAxe

The correct answer is nothing.

No one has really answered your question about what the iPad does better, because they can’t.

• Kraft75

You know I really wanted an ipad but never got around to getting one. I was bummed about no cameras. Then ipad 2 came out with cameras, I really wanted one but I never got around to getting one. Since I know the ipad 3 will be better anyway, and I’ve lived all this time without an ipad even though I’d love to own one, I’m feeling no pressure to rush out and buy one today. I’ll just hibernate for the winter and buy one in the spring…

• Decelerate

With that mentality… how do you even have a computer to type on?

• Farting Bob

He soldered a ethernet cable to his typewriter. Obviously.

• crose

Look at that! A prime example of what happens when there is too little competition. They start slowing down and milk the customers.

• Corrado

… And if they released the iPad 3, you’d be saying zOMG WHY ARE THEY RELEASING IT SO SOON! THEY ARE MILKING THEIR CUSTOMERS!

Haters gonna hate.

• entropy13

No, if they released the iPad 3, we’d be saying ZOMG THE iPAD 2 WASN’T MAGICAL ENOUGH THAT THEY IMBUED EVEN MORE MAGIC THAN EVER BEFORE IN THE iPAD 3! YOU CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF MAGIC, CAN YOU, SHEEPLE?

• Corrado

No, people CONSTANTLY bitch about getting shafted because they bought X and the X2 came out too soon. The Apple Haters come out and talk trash about Apple shafting their customers by releasing new products so soon, regardless. And then they mock the people that buy the new stuff. No matter what happens, Apple can’t win with a portion of the geek market. And they don’t try to. But those people still go on the offensive for whatever reason.

• entropy13

[quote<]No, people CONSTANTLY bitch about getting shafted because they bought X and the X2 came out too soon.[/quote<] Only bitches get bitched about...must be because Apple doesn't have enough "magic" to counter that. [quote<]The Apple Haters come out and talk trash about Apple shafting their customers by releasing new products so soon, regardless. [/quote<] No, they come out and talk trash about Apple shafting their customers by releasing new products [b<]AT ALL[/b<]. [quote<]And then they mock the people that buy the new stuff.[/quote<] See above. [quote<]Apple can't win with a portion of the geek market.[/quote<] Because of our magical resistance. [quote<]And they don't try to.[/quote<] Because of their weak rolls. [quote<]But those people still go on the offensive for whatever reason.[/quote<] Good people ignore the evil, great people confront it.

• SamWise

>> Good people ignore the evil, great people confront it.

In that case, I have to ask you to STFU and take your trolling elsewhere!

• entropy13

You aren’t one of the “good people” since you didn’t ignore, what you think, is an “evil.”

You aren’t one of the “great people” since you didn’t confront, what you think, is an “evil.”

You essentially just said “go away”, or “leave me alone”, so I don’t really know how to qualify your reply.

And if what I have just did was “trolling”, then it’s amazing how broadly the term is being used by you right now.

• A_Pickle

The trouble is, we’ve seen what happens when a single company gets too much control of a computing platform. We were [i<]lucky[/i<] with Microsoft, who just wanted to use the Windows monopoly to essentially force businesses and government to use the Microsoft Office platform along with all of it's baggage (Exchange, SQL Server, etc). That's my beef with Apple. Microsoft is in a position of power that's eroding -- the desktop/laptop world is quickly demonstrating its irrelevance in the face of new devices that accomplish most of the tasks that users care about while offering greater ease-of-use and more usage (due to more battery life). Windows isn't the dominant server OS, and will become less and less so as the open-source community builds linux to be ever easier to use to compete with Redmond's offerings. Microsoft Office is already irrelevant, the sheep that constitute the overwhelming majority of consumers out there just don't know of competitive offerings like Google Docs (ugh) or better yet, LibreOffice. Windows 8 isn't being ported to ARM so that Microsoft can make more money, it's being ported to ARM so that Microsoft has a survival path. That's where Apple is different. Unlike Microsoft, Apple has a pretty positive future [i<]business[/i<] outlook (however, what's good for a company isn't necessarily good for consumers). Mac sales are pretty healthy. iPhone sales are pretty healthy. iPad sales are off-the-charts. A few more years of this, and iOS, along with it's anti-consumer locked-down garbage, is poised to take the place of Windows as the world's mainstream consumer computing operating system. It will (already is) run on the majority of the world's tablets, and it may run on the majority of the world's smartphones. If this happens, developers will be disinterested in developing for other platforms and then [i<]everyone[/i<] will basically be forced to use it. A world running on iOS, in my opinion, is a terrible place to be. Firstly, I find the [i<]requirement[/i<] that I must obtain my applications through the App Store to be abhorrent. I find it especially abhorrent when I consider that Apple has a vetting process by which THEY are the authority which controls which apps even get to the App Store. Secondly, I find it contradictory to the merits of capitalism for such a vertically-integrated company to be on top -- they develop the hardware [i<]and[/i<] the software, and if they become the dominant provider of personal IT solutions, then the quality of hardware and software [i<]will[/i<] suffer. It happened with Intel, it happened with Chrysler, and it could happen with Apple. Finally, Apple's success peddling such an offensive hardware and software model is inspiring to other companies that would like to "be more like Apple." Not because they want the hipster-chic aura that Apple exudes, but because they want the profit margins that Apple brags about. If they begin releasing controlled software distribution models for their platforms, then we're all screwed. That's why I'm on the offensive against iOS. It sets bad precedent. I'm sure that your iPhone and your iPad and your fleet of Macs are really great and you love them and all, but that's not what I care about. I care about freedom above all else, and that's something that Apple has gone to great lengths to curtail with iOS. That's why, if iOS were to become the Windows of the tablet/smartphone world, those of us that don't want anything to do with iOS will eventually have to get iOS. If literally anything other than iOS becomes the Windows of the tablet/smartphone world, well, there's nothing stopping you from using iOS in such a scenario.

• crose

Nah, I would probably wait until iPad 4 if the iPad 3 isn’t a big enough step from iPad 2, which I already own. See, no reason to call me a hater or I will .. browse furiously on my iPad, grrrrr.

• Corrado

I have an iPad 1. I skipped the 2 as I didn’t see it as a big enough leap over the ipad 1. Essentially its just a faster CPU + camera. I have not used video conferencing ONCE in my iPhone 4, so the cameras are useless to me. Hopefully the 3 has a hgiher res screen and inductive charging (God I LOVE my TouchPad + TouchStone charger. Hope the iPhone 5 has something similar)

• Anarchist

the way I read it, AAPL is unable to release ipad-3 and therefore there is likely chance that their tablet sales will take a hit over the holiday season and so they pre-emptibly announce the news to read as if they are doing it intentionally.

• Decelerate

I think any HP exec would agree with Moskowitz there…

• Jigar

Can we say, Apple remained the top dog by far by getting their biggest competitor’s product ban in Australia and Germany ? Or am i wrong, i am sure it had it’s effect of sales number.

• sweatshopking

i wouldn’t say it’s the only reason, but it certainly will have an effect. it was a pretty recent ban though. queue the end user reply…

• End User

1) Apple was far an away top dog in sales even without the ban
      2) The bans were relatively recent (a month ago?)
      3) The Galaxy Tab 10.1 was nowhere near the iPad in sales volume to begin with

• Decelerate

I doubt Samsung would have changed the “top dog by far” qualification.

As for the ban, I still have to see who’s right and who’s wrong (don’t get me started; both sides have semi-valid arguments).

No, I don’t think you can say that at all. I mean, we’re talking about a single relatively small market here. It’s not like everyone in Germany was going to buy a Samsung.

• A_Pickle

Exactly. An overwhelming majority of Germans were going to buy iPads, not “other” tablets. This probably has mostly to do with objective, thorough review of the evidence concluding that the iPad contains an overwhelming majority of advantages over other tablets. I’m sure there’s no superficiality that it’s success can be attributed to — it’s just clearly a better product than everything else on the market by a wide margin.

• tanker27

Does Apple ever worry about anything? They have their own time table.

/sarcasm, Mess with that and they will just sue you. 😉

• I.S.T.

This really isn’t surprising. They have the software advantage(Meaning the most software people want overall) and one of the fastest SoCs on the market, maybe [i<]the[/i<] fastest.

• sweatshopking

are they still the fastest? i know they were when they launched but that was a year ago…

• Farting Bob

Even if its not the very fastest, its right up there on most tasks people actually would use a tablet for. There is certainly no desperate need to upgrade the SoC in the ipad yet, if rivals are just starting to match its abilities then i think they are ok.

• Corrado

Whats been released to compete with it? It kicked the doors off of the Tegra 2, which in turn is kicking the snot out of almost anything else thats out.

• albundy

well, the Adreno 220 outperformed the Tegra 2 so not sure where that leaves the maxipad.

• Corrado

I dont’ see any head to heads, but the anecdotal evidence says they are approximately on par with each other.

• codedivine

Well Tegra 2 is a little behind the A5, particularly in GPU performance (CPU performance should be roughly the same). Faster Android tablets should come soon with Nvidia Kal-el or the 1.5GHz OMAP4.

• I.S.T.

Kal-el, from what people are saying on Beyond3d, likely won’t match up in GPU performance. It will be a dramatic increase over Tegra 2, though.

• End User

I guess that is correct if by “a year ago” you mean March of this year.

• sweatshopking

close enough. it’s been a while.

• jpostel

Processor speed means less than user experience. If it is on a slower processor, but still has “teh snappy” then no user will care.

The TouchPad was perceived as laggy by some while many users didn’t notice. When the WebOS hackers (webos-internals and others) started digging in, they released patches for speeding up the UI. Not just overclocking, but also disabling excessive logging and artificial throttling. When taken together, they make for a better user experience.

Apple has this pretty freakin locked in. One of the Android device makers would have to come out with something crazy to make a dent. Windows 8 might, but I think it’s a long shot.

F*ing HP ruined my WebOS fun.

• ChronoReverse

The iPad2’s CPU isn’t necessarily the fastest anymore but its GPU is still by far the fastest in the market.